PDA

View Full Version : Texas tint laws

USN_Lifer
05-13-2004, 10:31 AM
I'm moving to Texas in a few weeks and I'm getting the MM tinted tomorrow in NC. I've looked up Texas Dept. of Safety website regarding tint laws and it's confusing. What is it? 25% or 20% in the front?

2003 MIB
05-13-2004, 10:37 AM
Okay Doc, here's the law:

(A) The following regulations establish standards and specifications for the use of sun screening devices.

(i) The front side wing vents and/or windows to the immediate right and left of the driver may be applied with a sun screening device that has a light transmission of not less than 35% and a luminous reflectance of not more than 35%. Labeling on these windows must be provided as referred to in paragraph (4) of this subsection. Labels on wing vents are not required.

(ii) Side windows which are to the rear of the driver may be applied with a sun screening device in conjunction with glazing (vehicle glass).

(iii) Rear window or windows may be applied with a sun screening device that has a light transmission of not less than 35% and a luminous reflectance of not more than 35% if labeling requirements are met in paragraph (4) of this subsection. Rear windows failing to meet labeling requirement of paragraph (4) of this subsection may be applied with sun screening devices if the motor vehicle is equipped with outside mirrors on both the left and right sides of the vehicle that are located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

(B) This paragraph does not apply to a windshield that has a sun screening device that:

(i) has a light transmission of not less than 33%;

(ii) has a luminous reflectance of not more than 35%;

(iii) is not red or amber in color; and

(iv) does not extend downward beyond the AS-1 line or more than five inches from the top of the windshield, whichever is closer to the top of the windshield.

(4) Manufacturer requirements.

(A) Each manufacturer shall provide a label with a means for permanent and legible installation between the material and each glazing surface to which it is applied that contains the following information: manufacturer (name or registration number), and statement--complies with VESC-20, DPS, or 37 Texas Administrative Code (TAC).

USN_Lifer
05-13-2004, 10:45 AM
Thanks! Where did you get this info from?

USN_Lifer
05-13-2004, 10:52 AM
This is what I'm reading.....

Texas Dept of Safety (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/tint.htm)

USN_Lifer
05-13-2004, 11:17 AM
I also just called a tint place in Dallas. They said the law changed last September which now allows 25%.

2003 MIB
05-13-2004, 11:26 AM
http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/tint_tx.html

I did a google search on Texas Department of Publc Safety tint.

"I also just called a tint place in Dallas. They said the law changed last September which now allows 25%."- I would take that as gospel.

Logan
05-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Yep, Current limits are 25% on the front two windows, Dark as you want every rear of the driver.

2003 MIB
05-13-2004, 12:06 PM
Ya know, I don't even know what I have...I told them "dark but legal" last June...Maybe I need darker now that the law has changed :up:

Petrograde
05-13-2004, 04:56 PM
I have 20% all around, no police here have giving me any problems.

jfclancy
05-14-2004, 06:09 AM
I'm moving to Texas in a few weeks and I'm getting the MM tinted tomorrow in NC. I've looked up Texas Dept. of Safety website regarding tint laws and it's confusing. What is it? 25% or 20% in the front?

My wonderful Wife Linda and my self are both retired USAF folks. What part of Texas ? Well IMHO if you are coming to Texas in a few weeks wait and get
the tint done here that way it should be legal here.

Joe Clancy :beer: :beer:

2003 MIB
05-14-2004, 07:56 AM
My wonderful Wife Linda and my self are both retired USAF folks. What part of Texas ? Well IMHO if you are coming to Texas in a few weeks wait and get
the tint done here that way it should be legal here.

Joe Clancy :beer: :beer:

He's moving to Corpus Christi area, Big Joe- Lifer is a Navy Corpsman (They fix Marines and sailors when they break). I invited him up to our part of the world but don't know if we'll see him anytime soon. :)

USN_Lifer
05-14-2004, 08:35 AM
He's moving to Corpus Christi area, Big Joe- Lifer is a Navy Corpsman (They fix Marines and sailors when they break). I invited him up to our part of the world but don't know if we'll see him anytime soon. :)

Well I wouldn't rule out any road trips! My wife and I are huge racing fans so all I need is a reason to go to TMS and I'm there! Don't look for me any time soon though. From here (NC) I go to Va for school, then all the way to Miami to see family, back up to Pcola (more family) and finally to Corpus. I'll be pooped by the end of July with all this driving.

I printed out the web page for Tx Dept of Safety guidelines and took that in to the tint shop. It's pretty much the same as NC law so it's no big deal. Can't wait to get it back this afternoon! I'm sure my sons will enjoy not getting their neck burned in the back seat anymore!

jfclancy
05-14-2004, 08:51 AM
Well I wouldn't rule out any road trips! My wife and I are huge racing fans so all I need is a reason to go to TMS and I'm there! Don't look for me any time soon though. From here (NC) I go to Va for school, then all the way to Miami to see family, back up to Pcola (more family) and finally to Corpus. I'll be pooped by the end of July with all this driving.

I printed out the web page for Tx Dept of Safety guidelines and took that in to the tint shop. It's pretty much the same as NC law so it's no big deal. Can't wait to get it back this afternoon! I'm sure my sons will enjoy not getting their neck burned in the back seat anymore!

Gotta love this site, small world is in referance to my wife is retired from bieng USAF IDMT. USAF verson of a corpsman. Hey Racing next year we get two Nextel cup races at TMS. Anytime you plan on bieng in area let us know glad to swap stories...
Joe Clancy

USN_Lifer
05-14-2004, 10:34 AM
Gotta love this site, small world is in referance to my wife is retired from bieng USAF IDMT. USAF verson of a corpsman. Hey Racing next year we get two Nextel cup races at TMS. Anytime you plan on bieng in area let us know glad to swap stories...
Joe Clancy

Yeah, I agree. Small world..I love this site. I'll definately be there for atleast one Cup race...maybe an IRL race if I ask nice enough :bows:

RVT04
05-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Okay Doc, here's the law:

(A) The following regulations establish standards and specifications for the use of sun screening devices.

(i) The front side wing vents and/or windows to the immediate right and left of the driver may be applied with a sun screening device that has a light transmission of not less than 35% and a luminous reflectance of not more than 35%. Labeling on these windows must be provided as referred to in paragraph (4) of this subsection. Labels on wing vents are not required.

(ii) Side windows which are to the rear of the driver may be applied with a sun screening device in conjunction with glazing (vehicle glass).

(iii) Rear window or windows may be applied with a sun screening device that has a light transmission of not less than 35% and a luminous reflectance of not more than 35% if labeling requirements are met in paragraph (4) of this subsection. Rear windows failing to meet labeling requirement of paragraph (4) of this subsection may be applied with sun screening devices if the motor vehicle is equipped with outside mirrors on both the left and right sides of the vehicle that are located so as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

(B) This paragraph does not apply to a windshield that has a sun screening device that:

(i) has a light transmission of not less than 33%;

(ii) has a luminous reflectance of not more than 35%;

(iii) is not red or amber in color; and

(iv) does not extend downward beyond the AS-1 line or more than five inches from the top of the windshield, whichever is closer to the top of the windshield.

(4) Manufacturer requirements.

(A) Each manufacturer shall provide a label with a means for permanent and legible installation between the material and each glazing surface to which it is applied that contains the following information: manufacturer (name or registration number), and statement--complies with VESC-20, DPS, or 37 Texas Administrative Code (TAC).
believe this guy who lives in Johnson cty.
and if you wonder why a guy that lives in Johnson cty. would make it a point to know the law to this extent of detail????
well i can tell you from personal experience that the lawdogs in Johnson cty. got nothing better to do than jack you up for window tint whilst they totally ignore a methamphetamin production that rivals the gnp. in other words they are ..... well you figure it out!

2003 MIB
05-19-2004, 03:59 AM
believe this guy who lives in Johnson cty.
and if you wonder why a guy that lives in Johnson cty. would make it a point to know the law to this extent of detail????
well i can tell you from personal experience that the lawdogs in Johnson cty. got nothing better to do than jack you up for window tint whilst they totally ignore a methamphetamin production that rivals the gnp. in other words they are ..... well you figure it out!

It's Johnson COUNTY, Steve- The rest of this is pretty stinkin' accurate though, sad but true. Y'all bringin' both cars to Chuck's on Saturday??

USN_Lifer
05-19-2004, 08:48 AM
Well, here it is. 35% in the side windows and 20% in the rear. I think it makes a HUGE difference. I didn't put anything on the windshield yet. I decided to wait until I arrive in Texas to do that.

BTW: This will probably be one of my last posts until August. I leave this weekend for training in Va. before I can complete my transfer to Corpus. Until then, see y'all (just practicing) later! I look forward to possibly meeting some of you in the near future.

Brian

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/71426/20.jpg

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/71426/21.jpg

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/71426/22.jpg