PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Glass

studio460
05-17-2004, 01:16 AM
Hey, I know all you guys swear by Zaino, I just never seem to get around to ordering the stuff . . . but, has anyone ever tried that Liquid Glass product? It's like $18.99 retail and says it contains "resins" but "no waxes or polymers." I'm not a big fan of Carnuba-based products (black car/gets real hot at NBC Burbank in the summer), so I've always used the Turtle Wax silicone-based Formula 2000 product, and I like it. I've also been meaning to try the acrylic-based, two-step Klasse products, which I've heard is also very good, and in at least one test, compared second only to Zaino. But, again, I never seem to get around to ordering some. I bought a can of this Liquid Glass, and thought I'd try it.

67435animal
05-17-2004, 01:24 AM
I used Liquid Glass years ago on Corvettes but it was too abrasive. I am using Meguiar's NXT wax and it is fabulous. No abrasives and it leaves a deep wet looking shine.

Bob

Yes, I use it on this too:

studio460
05-17-2004, 03:48 AM
Maybe they reformulated? The label clearly says "NO ABRASIVES!" How were the results? How long did the gloss last with Liquid Glass?

67435animal
05-17-2004, 05:04 AM
Maybe they reformulated? The label clearly says "NO ABRASIVES!" How were the results? How long did the gloss last with Liquid Glass?

Maybe so. The car I used it on rarely saw weather so how long the gloss lasted isn't really applicable. Put some on your fingers and rub. See if it feels abrasive free. Then try some on the underside of the front or rear bumper. Shine a bright light on it. If it produces a bright swirl free finish, go ahead and use it on your car. I threw out the last of what I had years ago.

Bob

Ross
05-17-2004, 07:09 AM
Please report back, Shooter. Always interested in hearing about new waxes.

Racerx88
05-17-2004, 07:23 AM
Used to use Liquid Glass on all my cars. The only reason I stopped using it was that it got real hard to find.

Works great, you just have to reapply it every 6 months or so to keep the shine. It lays down a hard surface alright, but it also starts to show fine scratches in the Liquid Glass surface over time. Noticed this after I put it on the windshield of one of my Buick GSX's. Over time the windshield wipers would leave fine scratches in it. A fresh application would take care of it though.

Now I've started using Zymol, and it's way better than the Liquid Glass, especially for the price.

IMHO of course.

gdmjoe
05-17-2004, 02:26 PM
Have been using Liquid Glass (http://www.liquidglass.com/lgpolish.htm) for 18 years as the only polish for all of my vehicles. *People still swear that my '87 Ranger has been repainted; and Ya I've got some older than that.

Most excellent results and easy to find - CarQuest, PepBoys, AutoZone, etc. for ~$16.

Mikeenh
05-18-2004, 06:20 AM
Guru Reports rated LIQUID GLASS at number 31 out of the 46 waxes that they tested.

gdmjoe
05-18-2004, 09:02 AM
Guru Reports rated LIQUID GLASS at number 31 out of the 46 waxes that they tested.
It's not a wax; it's a polish.

Ross
05-18-2004, 09:16 AM
It's not a wax; it's a polish.

Even if it is a polish (meaning it has fine abrasives to clean and polish the surface), wouldn't it still need wax in it to seal and protect the surface after it has been polished? Otherwise, the polish would be removing the old layer of wax and not replacing it with a new coat of wax.

Cobra25
05-18-2004, 01:30 PM
I used Liquid Glass years ago on Corvettes but it was too abrasive. I am using Meguiar's NXT wax and it is fabulous. No abrasives and it leaves a deep wet looking shine.

Bob

Yes, I use it on this too: I have too agree, Meguiar's NXT Wax is really great. Easy on and off and leaves a really nice shine.

nhinterceptor
05-18-2004, 02:28 PM
I've used Liquid Glass on all the black and dark colored vehicles I've owned with great results, usually put on 2-3 coats a year. My MM is almost 2 years old, only has 7400 miles so it doesn't see winter and really isn't used much.

The black and chrome Ford pickup looked great with Liquid Glass on it.

- Dan

studio460
05-19-2004, 12:16 AM
Even if it is a polish (meaning it has fine abrasives to clean and polish the surface) . . . the polish would be removing the old layer of wax and not replacing it with a new coat of wax.
Because the product label says that you can layer the product over itself for multiple applications, it can't be a polish (label says "no abrasives"), right? The product contains "resins" and, I believe, some kind of solvent. But how could it contain solvents if you're able to layer the applications? The solvents would take off the previous coat if it contained a solvent that reacted to its resins. I thought this product was intrigueing because of the detailed REMOVAL instructions on the label (implying that it's a really long-lasting product).

. . . wouldn't it still need wax in it to seal and protect the surface after it has been polished?
Most all retail polishes/waxes contain cleaners. I like to keep the polish/wax products separate so that I can keep my layers straight. A few products, I believe contain little or no "cleaners" (so you can layer the product) but do contain a "wax-like" ingredient (polymers, acrylics, resins, etc.), and are typically marketed with a companion pre-cleaner product. Acrylic-based Klass contains no waxes. Resin-based Liquid Glass contains no waxes or silicones.