PDA

View Full Version : Flowmaster question- again...

Jay Stark
05-20-2004, 07:24 PM
I know we are beating a dead horse but need some advice.
I have the desire to do some exhaust work. My custom shop is suggesting the 50 series. In doing my search here most members here are running the 40 series. With no other mods intended to the exhaust and using the car as a daily summer driver for business- where am I better off? I do a a lot of highway driving. I put a 70 series on a 02 Tahoe and had a lot of "drone". Your advice is greatly appreciated..............

studio460
05-21-2004, 12:31 AM
If you want something quieter, but still gutsy, go with the Magnaflows and delete tips if you want--I'd say they're 30% quieter than the Flowmaster 40-Series Deltaflows. The 50-Series Deltaflows may also be what you're looking for (which are quieter than the 40s). Both the Magnaflows and the 50-Series may be TOO quiet for you, I dunno. They sound nice, but only under throttle, and are almost silent at idle. Both have some drone as well but I think less than the 40-Series. I have the Flowmaster 40-Series Deltaflows with delete tips which have quite a bit of interior drone under throttle (which I like anyway). They resonate particularly at I think about 3,000 RPM (again, which I like). It all depends on what you like. I like loud. By the way, Flowmaster 40-Series "Original Flows" are even louder than the Deltaflows and are the loudest muffler Flowmaster makes. But, I'm ripping my Flowmasters out and swapping them for 18" Magnaflow glasspacks when I finally decide on a header solution.

Fourth Horseman
05-21-2004, 08:43 AM
Yeah, this is really hard to define in words, since everybody's ideas of a pleasing exhaust sound are different. I'm with 'Shooter on the louder is usually better approach for a car like this. But, if you like a bit more of the luxury car image and want it a little quieter then I'd say the FlowMaster 40s are probably not for you. They are loud, they do drone a bit, but everybody who's been in or near my car has commented on the great sound of the exhaust.

My advice: listen to a few Ford 4.6 liter powered cars with various kinds of mufflers on them. It won't be a perfect comparison, of course, but it'll give you some idea as to what you're getting in to.

DallasCV
05-21-2004, 02:04 PM
I have the Delta 40s and no resonators on my 4.6 CV and it sound good and not hardly noticable going down the road. A little drone. I like the sound of my Gibson on my truck better. More of a rumble sound....no drone. I think the Flows just have that drone sound for some reason...it's a signature sound.

jspradii
05-21-2004, 06:22 PM
My primary concern was moving AIR. The sound was only a concern to me from the standpoint of whether or not it would attract the attention of the local constabulary. I have a custom, Kook's long tube headered exhaust, so I went with the Flowmaster 40's. I also arranged to have the cats removable for "off street" use, which , in effect, gives me straight pipes to the mufflers. It's good for 15-20hp, and can be changed out in less than 10 minutes. The decibel level will be too much for some. I guess you just have to decide how much rumble you can tumble.:banana2: :banana2:

Glenn
05-21-2004, 06:32 PM
IF you are at all concerned about drone and too much sound then go with the shorty headers and X-pipe with hi-flow cats from Mark Ray. Keep your stock muffler and stock chrome tips. They are better then most people believe. Anything else WILL drone, I assure you. I have heard them all. This is particularly true with 4:10 or higher gears. If for some reason you want more sound then it is easy to cut off the stock mufflers and go with the Magnaflow 18" length only or order the Meggs chrome delete tips from Ford Racing for $24.00 each. What a super deal. I got a set in case I need them.

Glenn