PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Climate Control Dealer can't figure it out

bryanknie
05-25-2004, 12:15 PM
The Electronic Climate Control in my car, blows the 15amp fuse and does not light up/work, inside locks etc. Dealer has had the car for two days and has had the fuse blow many times, but can not figure it out, has anyone seen this problem before?

They call me today for permission to test drive it, I dont understand, it blows the fuse in their shop, like a test drive will help them figure it out.

Black car in South Florida and no A/C, unbearable.

Bryan

Panther II
05-25-2004, 12:36 PM
Might need to pull the EATC unit out and check if there are any wires that are open or not covered that might be grounding the connection out and possibly blowing the fuse. That takes awhile and be prepared to have it in for awhile. I've had 5 EATC/ATC cars/trucks in the family and never have had that problem. I know how it is to not have A/C in the heat....not cool at all.... :(

Marauderman
05-25-2004, 02:27 PM
The Electronic Climate Control in my car, blows the 15amp fuse and does not light up/work, inside locks etc. Dealer has had the car for two days and has had the fuse blow many times, but can not figure it out, has anyone seen this problem before?

They call me today for permission to test drive it, I dont understand, it blows the fuse in their shop, like a test drive will help them figure it out.

Black car in South Florida and no A/C, unbearable.

Bryan
WOW! If not for the warranty --you know you wouldn't be there!! Cause they ( Dealers) don't know Shxxt!! All of which they have proved by their own admission --( your statements above) --Duh! Test drive--NO WAY- Tell'um for get it--Take it to another dealer-- ANY FORD Dealer is required to honor the warrranty, not just L/M dealers......gotta be someone who knows what to do....good luck..........Tom

bryanknie
05-25-2004, 02:52 PM
I agree, but they are only blocks from my house and give me a loaner car (towncar). I am starting to wonder if it is me, I am picky, but it seems that every repair on the MM I have to take it back 2 - 3 times. I have bought and used this dealership for 2 previous Towncars and have had great service and they know me here, but each Towncar was only in for repairs 1 - 2 times in 100K miles. The MM is now a year old with 28K and has been in the shop 11 times already not counting Oil Changes and new Tires. I feel like just sending them a check for a few grand more, letting them keep the MM and I will keep the Towncar loaner, it is just fustrating.

The Ford dealer where I take my wifes Escape has always been excellent. Only two problems in 2 years and fixed the first time every time.

SergntMac
05-25-2004, 03:20 PM
Does FLA have a lemon law? Maybe you could squeeze out a nice discount on a silver '04...

Marauderman
05-25-2004, 04:52 PM
Does FLA have a lemon law? Maybe you could squeeze out a nice discount on a silver '04...
Now that is talking some juice there......

MarauderMark
05-25-2004, 05:50 PM

Ford dosent like the lemon law and they will fight you to the very end not to give any refunds on any ford vehicals.so this may be futile.How about plan B ?

Panther II
05-25-2004, 05:56 PM
Yah Ford will literaly pull the whole dash and wire up the whole new EATC system from scratch then give you a new deal on a new car. There is a point when *****ing does work, but I feel you shouldnt pull the lemon law card just yet until the dealership has had it for alittle while longer.

MarauderMike
05-25-2004, 06:39 PM
If it goes on to much longer get the District Rep. and the field service engineer involved, especially the District Rep.

bryanknie
05-26-2004, 03:53 AM
Who is the district rep, how do I get a hold of them.

All the times my car has been in the shop, it is for something different each time, so the lemon law does not apply. It was in the shope once for 3 weeks to replace the whole steering column, damaged caused by the dealer when the replaced the steering wheel due to the leather comming off when new.

bryanknie
05-26-2004, 11:54 AM
Dealer called today and stated it was fixed, stated they replaced the control unit. I picked up the car got two blocks and the Control panel is blank/no power, fuse is blown and no A/C. Back to the dealer tomorrow morning, no time to mess with it today.

Ross
05-26-2004, 01:20 PM
Brian, I don't know about Florida's lemon law, but it is probably similar to other states' laws. For example (and only an example, not by way of legal advice...Darn disclaimers), the law might apply if you have your car back to the dealer
1. 3 times in one year for the same problem, OR
2. 5 times in one year for any problems.

Do some checking on your local laws. I might be way off here, but you might be closer to a lemon law complaint than you think.

MENINBLK
05-21-2007, 01:12 PM
Guys...

Lemon Laws only apply to the FIRST 12 MONTHS OF OWNERSHIP.
We are all past this. Please squeeze your lemons someplace else...

magindat
05-21-2007, 01:18 PM
Guys...

Lemon Laws only apply to the FIRST 12 MONTHS OF OWNERSHIP.
We are all past this. Please squeeze your lemons someplace else...

Dude, the last post was 3 YEARS ago! I'm sure it WAS within Lemon Law then and why resurrect such an old thread?

MENINBLK
05-21-2007, 01:22 PM
...sorry...:alone:

chader
05-21-2007, 07:44 PM
Dude, the last post was 3 YEARS ago! I'm sure it WAS within Lemon Law then and why resurrect such an old thread?
wow I did not notice the date either,but got a chuckel out of the lemon law thing over one problem on a 3-4 year old vehicle...by the by,if you stick a paper clip in place of the fuse,you should find the short..look for smoke:lol:

BLACKMARAUDER04
11-16-2016, 06:22 PM
11-16-16

I'm having the same problem. #15 fuse keeps blowing.
What was the ultimate result in this fix?

Turbov6Bryan
11-16-2016, 07:33 PM
11-16-16

I had a car not light up the digital hvac and it ended up blowing fuse 23 under the dash
I had 2 wires touching on the back of the hvac, I noticed it when I was scrolling the temp up and down while watching the blend door actuator move .... then it stopped working
Found the two wires and harness that lead to the actuator and separated them
It was on my neighbors 2002 cv sport 3 weeks ago

Pull the hvac unit, check the wires see if they are ok

His car had a manual toggle for the blend door to move, and the toggle wires were soldered right into the box,.. talk about a hack job before I fixed it

Hth

fastblackmerc
11-17-2016, 08:33 AM
11-16-16

Fuse #15 (15A) controls the following:
Speed control, LCM, Clock, Police vehicle option, EATC blower motor relay, door lock switch illumination.

This is how I'd do PD:
Disconnect the blower motor relay under the hood first since it is known to have a bad solder joints, then test.

If that doesn't work then I'd disconnect the EATC electrical connections then test.

Let me know what you find.

BLACKMARAUDER04
11-17-2016, 11:21 AM
Last night I disconnected the EATC unit.
Replaced fuse 15 and 16.
(Fuse 16 seems to be blowing out.)
Drove and the Steering was working again.
This morning started the car and worked properly.
Second start (after my stop), Fuse #16 was blown again.
Replaced both 15 & 16 again, but Steering did not work properly.
Also, I'm on my 3rd BCM.

Turbov6Bryan
11-17-2016, 12:15 PM
Replaced fuse 15 and 16.
Also, I'm on my 3rd BCM.

Sounds like hvac unit is not the issue, what does fuse 16 power up?
Maybe tell us all your symptoms, steering, when did this come into the mix? You didn't mention it yesterday

BLACKMARAUDER04
11-17-2016, 12:40 PM
Last time this happened ( a long while ago ) it was the #15 slot that kept blowing.
#16 controls the HVAC , power steering assist, air suspension (seems to be working), overhead console (The lighted Direction is dark) and back -up lamps (working). #15 BCM relay, door lock (working) Moonroof (working)

fastblackmerc
11-17-2016, 12:41 PM
Replaced fuse 15 and 16.
Also, I'm on my 3rd BCM.

Fuse #16 controls:
Reversing lamps, Shift lock, DRL module, VAP Steering, Electronic day/night mirror, Overhead console, Air suspension, Climate control, Heated seat module, Speed chime module (GCC only), DDM, Back-up lamps

BLACKMARAUDER04
11-18-2016, 04:40 PM
So after replacing the fuse(s) several times, the car didn't blow the fuse until this afternoon, after about 50 miles of driving.

RF Overlord
11-18-2016, 05:51 PM
Your car is possessed. Sell it to me for $8.

ChiTownMaraud3r
11-18-2016, 06:19 PM
Replace 16 fuse again and drive around with the HVAC/EATC completely removed and see if it keeps blowing it.

BLACKMARAUDER04
11-21-2016, 04:49 PM
The HVAC has been removed since Wednesday.

Update:
Ran out of fuses and ordered a 60 pack for $6.66 on Amazon.
They arrived Sunday, but I was unavailable to look at the car.
This morning, I put the new fuse in #16 and started the car.
The Air Compressor comes on and the car raises up.
I then start to smell smoke. After looking for the source, it was coming from the back of the electronic monochrome mirror.
The 3 wires were so hot, they melted right out of its connector.
Pulled #16 fuse again, and it was also toasted.
Put a new fuse in #16 and car seems to be back to normal.
Will re-install HVAC tonight.

fastblackmerc
11-21-2016, 04:56 PM
The HVAC has been removed since Wednesday.

Update:
Ran out of fuses and ordered a 60 pack for $6.66 on Amazon.
They arrived Sunday, but I was unavailable to look at the car.
This morning, I put the new fuse in #16 and started the car.
The Air Compressor comes on and the car raises up.
I then start to smell smoke. After looking for the source, it was coming from the back of the electronic monochrome mirror.
The 3 wires were so hot, they melted right out of its connector.
Pulled #16 fuse again, and it was also toasted.
Put a new fuse in #16 and car seems to be back to normal.
Will re-install HVAC tonight.

The rearview mirror?

Do you have a fire extinguisher with you all the time?

RF Overlord
11-21-2016, 04:57 PM
I seem to remember something about wiring in the headliner above the driver's visor getting pinched in the visor mount. Might be a place to check for your mirror issue.