PDA

View Full Version : Tune

ammolance
11-16-2016, 09:42 AM
Hello, new guy here and certainly not a mechanic by any means. I've seen a few members recommend a "tune" from y'all, and I'm curious as to what it is (for us non-mechanical folks) and its described as "waking up your Marauder." I also saw it where it could be done by phone or email? I just bought an '03 with 54K miles. Previous owner tells me the gears where changed out by the original owner previous to him, other than that its stock. Thanks for the info!

crouse
11-16-2016, 10:03 AM
I tune is typically done through a hand held device such as SCT or Diablo.

https://www.sctflash.com/

http://www.diablosport.com/

Changes to timing, fuel delivery, transmission shift points and the engine cooling fan start temperature are typically what gets changed to increase the performance of your vehicle. They also let you adjust the speedometer after a gear change.

Other will add in what I've missed.

RubberCtyRauder
11-16-2016, 10:04 AM
it adds maybe 20 hp, but more important changes the shifting to better keep the car in the powerband. emsil marty@mosspeedshop.com for info on getting a tune. you need a handheld device which loads the tune into the pcm and saves the factory tune. he will need to know the gear ratio

Catfish
11-16-2016, 10:33 AM
Yes contact Marty at Mo's Speed Shop and he'll set you up. Great service there. He'll get some info about your MM then build and download a tune to an SCT handheld tuner. IMO it's the best purchase you can make for a NA Marauder. With the 4:10 gears it definitely wakes the car up. Congrats on your new ride and welcome to the site!

Mr. Man
11-16-2016, 11:49 AM
If you didn't get a hand held tuner from the previous owner your going to need one. Marty at Mo's will set you up, but he is going to need the gear ratio you are running to correctly give you an accurate tune. You can pull the cover and I believe the ratio is stamped on the ring somewhere or there is a way to turn the wheel and see how many turns the driveshaft makes or vice versa-cant remember. If it's not 3.55(stock) it's most likely 4.10. There were a few that did 3.73 and even fewer who tried 4.30 and fewer still who tried 4.56. Marty is going to need this info regardless.:)

ammolance
11-16-2016, 11:50 AM
Thanks all. Will contact Marty. Talked with the previous owner, and he thinks the gears are either 4:10 or 4:11. Said there might be a way to tell by a revolution of the tire?

ammolance
11-16-2016, 01:03 PM
If you didn't get a hand held tuner from the previous owner your going to need one. Marty at Mo's will set you up, but he is going to need the gear ratio you are running to correctly give you an accurate tune. You can pull the cover and I believe the ratio is stamped on the ring somewhere or there is a way to turn the wheel and see how many turns the driveshaft makes or vice versa-cant remember. If it's not 3.55(stock) it's most likely 4.10. There were a few that did 3.73 and even fewer who tried 4.30 and fewer still who tried 4.56. Marty is going to need this info regardless.:)

Didn't see this reply before mine. The previous owner didn't mention anything other than 4:10. I'll shoot Marty an email. Thanks again everyone, want to make sure I keep the integrity of the Marauder as well!

martyo
11-17-2016, 12:46 AM
Let me know if you have any more questions after our emails this evening.

ammolance
11-17-2016, 08:26 AM
Let me know if you have any more questions after our emails this evening.

Thank you, I will. Appreciate the guidance as well!

1Marauder
11-17-2016, 03:22 PM
ANOTHER MO'SATISFIED CUSTOMER!