PDA

View Full Version : Noice Levels

Dan
05-26-2004, 01:04 PM
I am sure that it has been asked before so I apologize if this is a repost.

What I want to know about is the noise level? I like the sound of my MM and wouldn't want to turn up the volume at all.

Comments?

Best,

Dan

Marauderman
05-26-2004, 01:33 PM

What I want to know about is the noise level? I like the sound of my MM and wouldn't want to turn up the volume at all.

Comments?

Best,

Dan
I guess this may sound silly--But what are you asking?--If you like your current sound and don't want to do anything--then what sound level are you concerned with...I'm :confused:

Ross
05-26-2004, 01:56 PM
Are you asking about road noise, wind noise, etc.? If so, I also think the car is not as quiet on the road as the GM or CV. The body, doors, windows, etc. should be the same, so I don't know why my MM is louder than other Panthers that I drive when I rent a car on a trip. It has always been one of my complaints.

TripleTransAm
05-26-2004, 02:01 PM
Are you asking about road noise, wind noise, etc.? If so, I also think the car is not as quiet on the road as the GM or CV. The body, doors, windows, etc. should be the same, so I don't know why my MM is louder than other Panthers that I drive when I rent a car on a trip. It has always been one of my complaints.

Stiffer suspension = more noise transmitted to the body.

Bigger tires = more noise transmitted to the body.
(not to mention different sidewall construction and rubber compound - compare the speed ratings)

Can't comment about the wind noise... could it be because of the weak paint? :lol:

SouLRioT
05-26-2004, 02:46 PM
I had to look and see what forum you where in. You want to know if adding the kooks system to your car will increse interior or exterier noise?? is that it?

SergntMac
05-26-2004, 03:31 PM
Stiffer suspension = more noise transmitted to the body. Bigger tires = more noise transmitted to the body (not to mention different sidewall construction and rubber compound - compare the speed ratings). Can't comment about the wind noise... could it be because of the weak paint? :lol:
Wind noise is relative to the relatives inside the car...

But, you state truths, /Steve. One of the main reasons Zack and I stayed away from the poly-whatever bushings in our control arms, was the noise and road vibrations telegraphed into the passenger cabin. Likewise tires. I've been switching back and forth from my OEM BFGs and the Pirellis, and I find the BFGs are a much softer overall construction, cushiony and quiet in comparasion to the Pirelli, a very firm sidewall. Road noise is up with the Pirellis, but so are many other factors, and it's another "trade off" of performance over comfort.

Now, if Dan is perfectly content with the sound of his MM, just wait until he hears others. Anyone wanna bet Dan improves his exhaust system in the next 3 months?

Dan
05-26-2004, 05:06 PM

Comments?

Best,

Dan

I am so sorry. I don't know how I could have missed the subject.

I am referring to installing aftermarket exhaust like the Kooks/others. I see that there is a performance benefit but am wondering if it comes at the price of a much louder exhaust sound.

I would like to have whatever other aftermarket add ons already installed on the car prior to the Trilogy so that when I go out there the tuning will be set.

I didn't get a lot of sleep last night.

Best,

Dan

Dr Caleb
05-27-2004, 06:55 AM
I am referring to installing aftermarket exhaust like the Kooks/others. I see that there is a performance benefit but am wondering if it comes at the price of a much louder exhaust sound.

It doesn't have to Dan. Most people put on headers and aftermarket mufflers. You could always stick to the stock mufflers, or get a quieter aftermarket muffler. You might not see the same HP gains, but your teeth won't rattle ethier :)

sailsmen
05-27-2004, 07:10 AM
"My unscientifc measurement w/ all accesories off in park are as follows;
Cobra Exhaust @idle +3-5 D/B, @2,000 rpm =+/- o D/B, @3,000 rpm= +/- o D/B.

The Cobra exhaust has a deeper tone, no vibrations or cockpit intrusions."

This is hte Reinhart Cobra Exhaust System.

Ross
05-27-2004, 08:16 AM
"My unscientifc measurement w/ all accesories off in park are as follows;
Cobra Exhaust @idle +3-5 D/B, @2,000 rpm =+/- o D/B, @3,000 rpm= +/- o D/B.

The Cobra exhaust has a deeper tone, no vibrations or cockpit intrusions."

This is hte Reinhart Cobra Exhaust System.

That's good info to know since I have my Reinhart system waiting at the shop, if I could find the %^$# time to get it put on!

BillyGman
05-27-2004, 08:53 AM
Dan, the bottom line is that if you want more performance via an exhaust upgrade, and I mean one that is actually NOTICEABLE just from driving the car, and not merely a 5 or 10 HP gain which will only be detected on a Dyno, then you're gonna have to reduce the overall flow restriction in the exhaust, and that means it will also be louder too. There's really no way to avoid that. More performance also means more noise.

Sure, you can get rid of some of the exhaust flow restriction by simply going w/the headers, and that will not make the car all that much louder, if at all. But don't expect any gain in acceleration, unless you go the whole 9 yards by replacing everything w/the exception of perhaps the tailpipes. W/the stock mufflers, I doubt very much you'll get enough of a power increase for you to notice just by driving the car. You'll only see such small power increases on the Dyno.

My suggestion is, that you either stay w/the car being quiet, or you go all out w/the exhaust. Don't half-step. If you do, then you'll accomplish nothing, and therefore you won't be satisfied. But as far as your Trilogy comment, keep in mind that if you really like the car to be quiet( I don't), then you can Supercharge the engine w/out performing other mods such as an exhaust upgrade, and you'll be satisfied w/the acceleration increase.

Haggis
05-27-2004, 09:25 AM
That's good info to know since I have my Reinhart system waiting at the shop, if I could find the %^$# time to get it put on!

I now have the Reinhart exhaust with the 18" Magnaflow non-baffled mufflers and the OEM tips, I love the deep rumble I get when I give it gas. I received the deleted tips from Wes last week, (Thanks Wes) have not put them on yet will give it a while and see if I want to go LOUDER.

Dan
05-30-2004, 06:01 PM
Well, I got to hear the Kooks tonight and I realized that they are not what I am looking for from my ride. They were just too obvious and loud for my personal taste.

I am going to do more research on the matter. I am also going to start contacting some of the vendors on this board about the matter.

Best.

Dan

BillyGman
05-30-2004, 08:45 PM
It's difficult for anyone to explain to you over the phone how loud an exhaust will make your car. It's just something you have to hear for yourself. What's "loud" to you might not be loud to someone else. But I guess the best way is to call someone who sells Magnaflow mufflers as well as other brands of free flowing ones and ask them if they have anything that are quieter than the straight-thru design Magnaflows since that's what you heard today.

just remember that if you want a performance increase out of an exhaust mod, then you'll have to go louder. there's siply no way around that. U can't have it both ways. And if you make a comprimise, you couls wind up w/the worst of both worlds instead of the best of both worlds like you're looking for. Some of the flowmaster mufflers are claimed to be free flowing yet not as noisy, however I've never heard a car w/flowmasters that sounded good IMO. Those mufflers give the exhaust a tinny sound as of the car's breathing through a tin can.

Good luck Dan. Maybe you should just leave the exhaust alone since you don't want louder.

Dan
05-31-2004, 05:38 AM
Bill,

First of all, it is good to have someone around who is as knowledgable as ou.

Thanks fro the advice. I might just do that. It will depend on what happens after the exhaust install.

I am going to contact the Kooks fplks as well as a few other vendors here.

Best,

Dan

BillyGman
05-31-2004, 01:27 PM
Bill,

Thanks fro the advice. I am going to contact the Kooks fplks as well as a few other vendors here.

Best,

DanYeah, you should call Kooks and ask for Nick. I believe he also sells and installs other mufflers in addition to the Magnaflow ones,so perhaps he can shed some more light on the subject for you. Let me point out to you that I'm in no way aggrivated, nor offended by the fact that you don't care for the way my car sounds. That's quite alright. I'm glad that you were honest about it. It's all cool w/me. It's simply not your cup of tea. That's all. I understand.

I will say though, that you're the first guy I've ever heard say that he didn't like the way it sounds. I'm very used to everyone of every age atleast of our gender saying the exact opposite. that they Luv the way it sounds. There's a guy here in derby who also owns a MM, who I just ran into yesterday after not seeing him for awhile(I forgot to mention him to you) and he's in his 60's and he wrote to me here on this board asking me what he can do to make his Marauder sound just like mine. He loves it.

But I understand that for whatever reason, it's a noise thing for you. (thus the reason for this thread title. Right?) I also understand that w/some of you married guys, you have to contend w/your wife about having a loud exhaust, and if you bought the Kooks system, it wouldn't only be the exhaust noise you would be hearing, but the "noise" coming from the passenger seat as well :eek: (LOL).......

So hey, I understand bud. However, aside from that, it's all a matter of taste I guess. As far as my taste and preference, checkout my latest reply in that thread of yours in the Trilogy forum, and you can read about my preference on this matter.

Glenn
05-31-2004, 02:57 PM
Billy G is right about HP and exhaust noise. But, I have chosen a somewhat middle ground. I will be going with the Ford Racing shorty headers, "x-pipe" with hi-flow cats connected to my stock mufflers and tips. I will lose some power as Billy stated, but I am hoping to gain 15 HP which is fine with me and maybe some more at top end. I guess I can summarize my approach as: someone who has had a number of full power E/S with headers and loud mufflers in the past and enjoyed it very much, but now I am looking for something alittle quieter. With my daily commute of 100 miles at 70-80 mph, I just do not want the cabin drone which you will have with any E/S w/o the stock mufflers (trust me on this). Yes, I do have a sensitive ear on this because it is the first thing I listen for while drviing in someones MM.

If you go this route and what more power and exhaust noise then it is a relatively simple job to remove the stock mufflers and install the 18" Magaflows. (By the way, the Meggs exhaust tips are available from Ford Racing for $24.00 each. They have a large supply and are trying to sell them.) If this is still not enough for you then go the next step and remove the stock tips and install the delete tips from Wes. It's your individual choice. That's why this net is so great, you can get a great deal of information before deciding what you want to do. Thanks again Logan.

Glenn

BillyGman
05-31-2004, 03:46 PM
I agree w/you Glenn that anyone who is undecided like Dan is about this, can easily get a free flowing exhaust from the engine up to the mufflers, while leaving the stock mufflers themselves on, and if they don't like it, then they can always go w/the magnaflow mufflers or something else later on. So I'd say that isn't bad advice to those who are bent on having their car being very quiet.

As far as that "cabin drone" that you're talking about, my car doesn't have that at 70 or 80 MPH and I have 4.56 gears in the rear. The only time I even get a little hint of that drone is during 1500-1800 RPM. And my car hardly ever stays in that RPM range very long at all.

I've heard so many people on this board talk about the feared "cabin drone" dilemma that it almost scared me away from getting the Kooks headers as well as the 18" Magnaflows. But having had the entire system on my car now since last year, and having put about 8,000 miles on the car since then, I think that whole claim is waaaaay over-emphasized BIG TIME because I don't have any problems w/any drone. And in the narrow RPM band that any of it does occur (1500-1800 RPM only) it isn't all that intense. It's rare that I criuse at such a low RPM, and it's only momentarily that I do. And that was also the case when I had the 4.10 gears in as well.

Keep in mind that there are muflers out there on the market that are a lot louder than the 18" Magnaflows are. And I'm sure that w/some of those other mufflers, you'll get a really annoying drone. And that's something that i wouldn't want in a daily driver either. That would drive me nuts. But it isn't the case w/this set-up. Trust ME.

Dan
05-31-2004, 09:53 PM
A question: What are "deleted tips?"

Bill, I know you are not upset with me. Heck, I recall telling you my thoughts on the sound of your car right then. If I thought that what I said upset you in the least I most certailny wouldn't have posted it here. However, I do appreciate your concern and just want you to know that I had so much fun driving your car. Meeting you, too, was just as much fun and I really do wish that we had more time to hang out.

My reasons for wanting less noise have to do with why I bought the car. For me, I wanted a car that had a nice, smooth and quiet ride without getting into what I would call "Grandpa smooth and Grandpa quiet."

I have never been able to afford what I would call a luxury call. For the last few years all I have driven are pickups or other cars that use cardboard for sound deadening. that being the case I want a car with very little cabin noise at all. Thnk, "High Performance Office" and it gives the right idea. Quiet enough to talk on the phone, to listen to the radio at LOW volume while still hearing the music, quiet enough to convers easily and, most importanly, quiet enough to sleep in. :0

So, I guess I am weird. I gues that I should also clarify my thoughts on tehe G-Mans car. Instead of saying that I did not like the sound of his car I should have said that I did not like the sound of his car for my car when that is what I really meant.

His car gave me fond memories of a 67 'Stang I have with a 350 in it and cherry bomb dual exhausts. I loved THAT car and its sound. But that sound or a car that is louder than my MM is now is just not right for me at this time.

Best

Dan

David Morton
05-31-2004, 10:46 PM
I'm with you, mines plenty loud when I want it to be.
I'm just gonna put a Trilogy blower on top and leave it at that.
I'm basically just a humble, meek and mild mannered guy. :beatnik:

BillyGman
05-31-2004, 10:49 PM
AAAHHHHH! Now I know why you were on your cell phone during part of the time that you were in my car while I was behind the wheel. U wanted to check that out, uh? Hey, that's okay. It's your preference, and there is no right or wrong w/this issue. I'm simply a HP hungry, performance car nut. I just sold my 73 Vette a few weeks ago, and already I'm missing it. I had it for 6 years, and it had a Muncie 4 speed w/3.70 gears in the rear. Some other people who are also in their 40's like I am used to say to me "Bill, don't you ever get tired of driving a standard shift car?". And my answer always was "No way".

The reason I sold the Vette wasn't because I was tired of the Hi-perf car game. it was because the only way that i would able to continue to have both cars was to be satisfied w/both of them being 13 second cars. But if i wanted atleast one of them to get into the 12's then I had to sell one of them to get $$ to make the other a 12 second machine. So I kept the Marauder, sold the Vette, and ofcourse you know what I did to make the Marauder cabable of getting into the 12's.

Sothat's a little bit about my trip, and where I'm coming from. We each approach this Marauder thing perhaps a bit differently.

BillyGman
05-31-2004, 11:00 PM
Oh, about the "Deleted tips" question........they're the stainless steel 24" long 3.5" diameter tips on our exhausts, but the deleted ones don't have the center tailpipe running throught themlike our stock ones do. Some guys claim that they make the car louder, but I'm not sure if they do. I don't have them. They look nice though. Just like the ones that came from the factory on our cars from the outside.

You can get them from a vendor here on this board who has alswys impressed me as a good guy. W. Chain. And he's the moderator of the "Innovative Interceptors" forum of this board. he has his own website of that same name as the forum I believe. the tips can beordered through his website or you can click on his profile to send him an e-mail about it. I'm sure he will get back to you about it. I hope this helps. Some guys on here do have the deleted tips. I know that MartyO is one of them, but there are others. BTW, there are pics of the dleted pics as compared to the stock ones on W.Chain's website.

David Morton
05-31-2004, 11:09 PM
..."Bill, don't you ever get tired of driving a standard shift car?". And my answer always was "No way".

The reason I sold the Vette wasn't because I was tired of the Hi-perf car game. it was because the only way that i would able to continue to have both cars was to be satisfied w/both of them being 13 second cars. But if i wanted atleast one of them to get into the 12's then I had to sell one of them to get $$ to make the other a 12 second machine. So I kept the Marauder, sold the Vette, and ofcourse you know what I did to make the Marauder cabable of getting into the 12's.

Sothat's a little bit about my trip, and where I'm coming from. We each approach this Marauder thing perhaps a bit differently.
Yeah, but isn't it sweet to be getting a 12 second ride with an automatic?

I'm in heaven man, it's like the best of both worlds, a big car I can fit into, relatively smooth ride and a 15 second 1/4 mile to boot. Add 14 mpg when dogging it all over town because it's a high tech 4.6L '4 Cammer' and I'll take this car any day over those buckboards, the Corvettes.

BillyGman
06-01-2004, 10:08 AM
yeah, I hear ya. Marauders are great cars, and that's why I'm so glad this board exists.There's some people I don't care for on this board, but most of them are great as far as online boards go. I've also met a few, and they KOOL.

As far as the Vette vs. the Marauder, there was good reason why I gave up the Vette in favor of modding the MM more. It's worth it to me. Also, I had the Vette for 6 years, and the thing was killing me w/10 MPG. I had to put $10 of gas in it every single day I drove it!!! But there was trade offs too. The thing like the MM also had an excellent body style (even better IMO) and so it looked good from every angle. And the thang was a babe magnet as well!! All the women loved it. I's get so much attention fropm women everywhere i went w/that car. I've had women sitting in the passenger seat of 60K beamers just staring at me and my car while I was on side of them to a point where their boyfriends would get jealous and try to race me. And I beat every one of them. I also beat a 80's Porsche 911. The Vette wasn't stock, and it was a great car, but it was time to give it up. the Marauder's in town now!!!