PDA

View Full Version : For those with high flow exhaust/headers

darebren
05-27-2004, 11:40 AM
has anyone had new exhaust installed and had to weld those metal dampers back onto the new muffler? the stock mufflers had some pop can type steel vibration dampers on them, and s I've mentioned before I have this gurgle, rattle, ibration, that i don't know if it is pinging, spark tip in, or simply vibration in the pipes from resonance at low RPM's now... I can still get my old dampers at the shop that did my Kook's install.. so I'm curious to know how others are fairing that did not weld those things onto the new mufflers? I would think with aftermarket exhaust those are not needed... but who knows..

2003 MIB
05-27-2004, 11:49 AM
I'm curious to know how others are fairing that did not weld those things onto the new mufflers?

I have no such noise and no such dampener. I only have about 1000 miles on my Kook's with 18" Magnaflows but I don't notice anything like you describe. How many miles on the conversion?

darebren
05-27-2004, 12:02 PM
I have no such noise and no such dampener. I only have about 1000 miles on my Kook's with 18" Magnaflows but I don't notice anything like you describe. How many miles on the conversion?

only about 100 miles since conversion, and the noise only happens at low RPM's, and does not always happen.. it is hit and miss. the kind of noise that when you want someone to hear it it never happens... you know what i mean :bigcry:

2003 MIB
05-27-2004, 12:19 PM
Yep- I think we've alll been there with the mystery noise or light...I feel safe in saying that what you've got isn't normal...I'd take it back to the installer and look at it on the lift- metal hits metal somewhere for the sound. OR- I'd find someone else with the same setup and look under their car- something isn't the same...

CRUZTAKER
05-27-2004, 06:14 PM
3000 miles on the exhaust and no issues besides the left pipes occationally rubbing on the sway bar. I guess the folks at C&M know how to weld...oh yeah, they're the best in N.E. Ohio!

DirtyDog
05-27-2004, 06:24 PM
Check that rattle and see if it is coming from your cat. Kooks has had problems with some Magnaflow Cats. Mine went out with only 200 miles on it.

Reduaram
05-27-2004, 11:12 PM
I'm glad someone else has mentioned this. When I was getting my Flowmasters put on the "tech" noticed them and he asked me if I knew what they were for (say what?). I just threw a guess and said "Idunno, maybe vibration dampers or balancing weights?" Anyway, I get a vibrating noise similar to what you describe at certain RPMs and when I shut the engine off. Fortunately, I kept the stockers and they are stored in my bedroom closet complete with the "vibration dampers" or whatever they are called. I will get my car up on the hoist soon and try to see if there is any physical sign of defect in the install, and if so will get them or someone more knowledgeable to solve the problem. This is also another question to put on my list for my monthly Q&A session with the dealer.

PhkinQk
06-10-2004, 03:33 PM
I have the DR exhaust kit installed, stock mufflers back and I'm getting an intermittent vibration and then over 80-120 a definite one.....it's VERY noticeable.......Not what I was hoping for, the shop did a leak test and no problems....doesn't sound normal at all.........UGGGGGG

bugsys03
06-10-2004, 03:46 PM
I would check to make sure they tightened your a/c compressor,motor mount,and have your belt on correctly. No way exhaust would cause a vibration. I recently installed my DR exhaust-smooth as glass at 100+

JohnE
06-11-2004, 10:38 AM
A vibration around 80-100 is most likely the drive shaft. I don't see how the exhaust system could be related, only coincidence.

PhkinQk
06-11-2004, 11:33 AM
I would check to make sure they tightened your a/c compressor,motor mount,and have your belt on correctly. No way exhaust would cause a vibration. I recently installed my DR exhaust-smooth as glass at 100+
Firstly the dealer did the install. So I assume they did all that, as well as the gears and the driveshaft, as well I've had it back to them. And the rechecked it.

A vibration around 80-100 is most likely the drive shaft. I don't see how the exhaust system could be related, only coincidence.
Yeah I know, but it's not coming from the back. It's coming from the front.