PDA

View Full Version : Brake upgrade

RAUDER
05-27-2004, 08:41 PM
Hey guys,

What's the best brake upgrade for use as a daily driver. I am considering only replacing rotors and pads. Would this be worth it, or should I save up for a complete brake package?

Thanks
Sam

MI2QWK4U
05-27-2004, 08:48 PM
I kicked around this idea for a long time. I talked to a LOT of folks here! At one point I considered Dennis's brake upgrade. Then I had spoke with Todd at TCE. I think the total upgrade is the best call and recently ordered the Baer break upgrade kit for the Marauder. Depends on your driving style. Just ask around here...

Fourth Horseman
05-28-2004, 12:23 AM
Yup, the Baer kit is how I plan to go, once I have the cash saved up for it.

Logan
05-28-2004, 05:18 AM
TCE sells a 14" 6 piston Wilwood setup that I have on my car, I love it.

So your options are the KVR Rotor swap from Reinhart, Baer Brakes Complete setup, or the TCE/Wilwood Complete setup...

There's pictures of all of them on the site...

sailsmen
05-28-2004, 06:12 AM
Like it has been said depends on your driving style and HP.

I have the KVR front rotors and I am very happy with the perfromance, alot of stop for the buck.

John F. Russo
05-28-2004, 01:43 PM
:(
I already replaced my first set of Baer brakes at about 10k miles and now have a similar or exactly the same problem again at 23k miles. Baer replaced the rotors at no cost but I had to pay for the labor. It was definitely the two front brakes and not the rear brakes.

I have to bring in my car to my dealer to see if it is the same problem as last time.

I experience a heavy pulsation when braking moderately at speeds from 40 mph to 80 mph. I haven't had to brake at speeds greater than 80 mph.

I don't drive my car hard.

If it is the same problem, I will check into Logan's Wilwood brakes.

______________________________ ___________________
2003 Dark Blue Pearl 300B (Canadian) w/Light Flint (reversed
traction control, mini spare, trunked 6 disc CD changer,
clock-in-the-radio, heated front seats/mirrors, hood light)
-Born 12/10/02; converted new then used 2/28/03
-23,000 miles
-18.5 mpg at a steady speed of 80 mph
-Stock transmission (upgraded with Performance Automatic
clutches and band after stock tranny failed in 8,800 miles)
-Wheel locks (Ford)
-Badgeless front grille by “Zack”
-Zaino waxing; RainX
Kenny Brown: 6th “Signature Series” conversion (450 hp) Born
3/28/03 (first drove it)
-Vortech supercharger (5 to 9 psig boost)
-377 RWTQ
-4.10 gears
-Baer front brakes 14 in., two piston, vented rotors
-MMX Driveshaft
-Precision, triple disc, P/N469018-3 Precision, triple disc, P/N469018-3
-Ford Racing Stud and Girdle
-Pirelli P-Zero Asimmetrico (front 255/45ZR18 99Y; rear
255/50ZR18 102Y)
-Dead pedal
-FordChip
-3/4 of a coil from each front stock spring removed to produce
the “same” effect as an Eibach spring
-Ground clearance: 5 in.
______________________________ ___________________________
1961 Ford Galaxie, 2 dr. Club Victoria, 390CID, 375hp, 4 barrel (gone)

HwyCruiser
05-28-2004, 05:46 PM
John,

I'm wondering if you are building up pad material on the rotors... assuming they were dead straight when they were installed.

I had a similar feel after I put the Wilwoods on. I had the rotors turned but Todd just about called me a baby because I probably didn't bed them in hard enough.

Call Todd TCE and ask his advice, I'm sure he'd help even though you have that "other" brand.

Oh, and if you still can't get yours worked out, take a good look at the front 13.1" Wilwood "Street Sport" kit...

- JD

John F. Russo
06-02-2004, 07:34 AM
John,

I'm wondering if you are building up pad material on the rotors... assuming they were dead straight when they were installed.

I had a similar feel after I put the Wilwoods on. I had the rotors turned but Todd just about called me a baby because I probably didn't bed them in hard enough.

Call Todd TCE and ask his advice, I'm sure he'd help even though you have that "other" brand.

Oh, and if you still can't get yours worked out, take a good look at the front 13.1" Wilwood "Street Sport" kit...

- JD

I have a very good dealer (Wall's Lincoln Mercury) who diagnosed the problem the first time and suppsedly set the pads as you indicated.

I'll go back to them and see what explanation they'll give me.

I will keep everyone informed.

Thank you for the help.