PDA

View Full Version : Legal Amount of Window Tint in Illinois

Lou
05-29-2004, 01:17 PM
Well, tomoorw I'll have my '04 MM for a whole month and it's time to start thinking of a few improvements. I need your thought and ideas on window tints. I'd like a light tint and has a few questions.

What's the percent of tint that's legal in Illinois?

Is it Ok to tint all the windows except the windshield?

Where's a good place to have it done.

What's a fair price?

How high is up?:cool4:

Zack
05-29-2004, 02:41 PM
Considering how cool the Marauder is and how cops pull you over just to check it out, I wouldnt worry about the % of tint you get.
Darker the better!

mad man
05-29-2004, 02:59 PM
Well, tomoorw I'll have my '04 MM for a whole month and it's time to start thinking of a few improvements. I need your thought and ideas on window tints. I'd like a light tint and has a few questions.

What's a fair price?

How high is up?:cool4: My car was 4 days old when i had the last one tinted.
You can't tint the front half of the car here . Only the back half and you can go as dark as you want . $150.00 is the going rate

jrzygrl
05-29-2004, 04:03 PM
I asked this question some time ago and the answer was 35% is legal in Illinois, rear windows only.

Big Joe P
05-29-2004, 04:05 PM
I think Illinois has a law, and individual cities have laws too. In Chicago I believe 35% is the darkest you can go on the front windows, and there is no limit on the back and rear. I have 35% on the front and 5% on the rest. I paid $225. My last truck had 5% all the way around and I never got hassled.
This might help.

http://home.pcisys.net/~bpc/auto_law/tint/

Donny Carlson
05-29-2004, 07:16 PM

What's a fair price?

How high is up?:cool4:
http://www.tintdude.com/itom.html#Illinois

The best window tint, imo, is Formula One. They will put legal tint on your car with proper certification.

http://cpfilm.know-where.com/formula-one/cgi/selection?mapid=us&place=&region=&map.x=251&map.y=93

mad man
05-30-2004, 02:29 AM
My car was 4 days old when i had the last one tinted.
You can't tint the front half of the car here . Only the back half and you can go as dark as you want . $150.00 is the going rateDitto Just read the law thing Joe posted

ADE 1000
05-30-2004, 08:19 AM
Illinois does not allow any tint on the front windows. Some people do it anyway, whether or not you get caught depends on your luck. I would imagine that in the city you would not get hassled much, but in certain suburbs it could be a different story.

I wanted to tint my windows as dark as possibile, but went the conservative route (50% on the fronts 35% everywhere else). I am very happy with it. This gives me some minimal tint on the front, but does not look too conspicuous. And there is a fairly smooth transition between the front and rear glass.

I had Ziebart in Franklin Park do it and they did an outstanding job. The cost was $199.

stevengerard
05-30-2004, 07:58 PM
[QUOTE=ADE 1000]
I wanted to tint my windows as dark as possibile, but went the conservative route (50% on the fronts 35% everywhere else). I am very happy with it. This gives me some minimal tint on the front, but does not look too conspicuous. And there is a fairly smooth transition between the front and rear glass. QUOTE]

Great info, I was thinking of going this route myself, thanks.