PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Tint recommendations

QWK SVT
05-29-2004, 11:24 PM
I’ve decided that the car NEEDS tint :D , but have never done this to any of my other vehicles. Can anyone recommend a place in Toronto? My buddy suggests Tint King, but I don’t know anyone that has been there, so I can’t verify quality of work…

Looking for suggestions, but will probably go to Tint King, tomorrow, to see what they’re like…

TripleTransAm
05-30-2004, 05:41 AM
I’ve decided that the car NEEDS tint :D ,

Yes... yes it does! :up:

http://www.tripletransam.com/mm/2003/DSCF2606a.jpg

http://www.tripletransam.com/mm/2003/DSCF2613a.jpg

http://www.tripletransam.com/mm/2003/DSCF2647a.jpg

20% all around (well, of course except for the windshield... hmmm... ;) ) and do remember that with time the tint does get lighter.

I obviously can't recommend anyone specifically in Toronto, but we used to have a Tint Kings here in Montreal until they recently changed names to something similar but obvious enough that it was changed for some financial reasons (ie. escaping bankruptcy issues yet retaining their clientele, etc.).

However, I noticed on a recent drive-by that they have closed shop... I'll need to find out if they moved or completely closed down. Pity, they did a really good job and I was actually considering having my '78 tinted in the same fashion (I won't tint my '98 or '87, the '87 for originality reasons and my '98 because it is already a cop-magnet).

If you do decide to use Tint Kings, would be great if you could ask them what's the situation in Montreal (ie. do they have a tint kings around here, etc.)?

QWK SVT
05-30-2004, 09:07 PM
http://www.tripletransam.com/mm/2003/DSCF2613a.jpg

20% all around (well, of course except for the windshield... hmmm... ;) ) and do remember that with time the tint does get lighter.

See, now THAT'S what I'm talking about. That looks great! :up: Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for that?

I obviously can't recommend anyone specifically in Toronto, but we used to have a Tint Kings here in Montreal until they recently changed names to something similar but obvious enough that it was changed for some financial reasons (ie. escaping bankruptcy issues yet retaining their clientele, etc.).

However, I noticed on a recent drive-by that they have closed shop... I'll need to find out if they moved or completely closed down. Pity, they did a really good job and I was actually considering having my '78 tinted in the same fashion (I won't tint my '98 or '87, the '87 for originality reasons and my '98 because it is already a cop-magnet).

If you do decide to use Tint Kings, would be great if you could ask them what's the situation in Montreal (ie. do they have a tint kings around here, etc.)?
Tint King is a franchise, so there was probably a problem between the franchisor and franchisee. There is only one Tint King in all of Quebec - 270 Étienne Dubreuil Rue in Vanier - as reported by http://www.tintking.ca (warning, this website plays an annoying audio commercial - turn your speakers down). Bit of a trek from Montreal.

Anyway, they were closed (2 seperate locations) - Sunday, and all... I'll have to try next week.

TripleTransAm
05-31-2004, 07:29 AM
See, now THAT'S what I'm talking about. That looks great! :up: Out of curiosity, how much did you pay for that?

I can't remember the exact amount, but I would venture between 200-300 Canadian. I went for the LLumar 20% basic black... initially I was going for a little lighter but using the polarized version (which was more expensive) but a last minute (literally) change of heart had me going for the limo black. No regrets, and it was cheaper to boot (which has me thinking it was closer to the 200 Canadian side of the price range). Total time: one morning (I think they started at 9:30 or so, and were done by noon).

All you gotta do is wait one week without rolling down the windows, and after the followup visit you're good to go.

A most exciting change to the overall look of my vehicle... I've never been a big fan of window tinting (seen too many cheapo jobs, including the one done to my Civic by the previous owner), but when you use quality stuff on a vehicle like the MM, it really pays off.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your car before and after...

stock93cv
05-31-2004, 07:15 PM
If I knew how to post pictures, I could show you before pictures WITH tint, and then WITHOUT tint after I got tagged for having tint (mild--50%) on the driver and passenger side windows.... :bigcry:

Looked better before, .... :(

QWK SVT
05-31-2004, 07:53 PM
A most exciting change to the overall look of my vehicle... I've never been a big fan of window tinting (seen too many cheapo jobs, including the one done to my Civic by the previous owner), but when you use quality stuff on a vehicle like the MM, it really pays off.

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your car before and after...
I've been figuring on about that much, so that's cool. Good thing my piggy bank is full... :)

Speaking of banks, the one I work for is sending me out to conduct site visits, this week. I'm actually visiting grocery store kiosks, from 2- 8 pm. (can you figure out which bank?)

As a result, my mornings are free, leaving me no choice but to try and get this done, soon ;)

TripleTransAm
06-01-2004, 06:38 AM
Don't know what the Toronto grocery store environments are like, but around here you can always find TD ATMs at Walmarts.

MapleLeafMerc
06-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Hi QWK SVT

I haven't ever done a tint for the reason TTA mentioned- I've seen too many crappy jobs. I do think dealers will do it.

I work in Brampton- if you're in the area, let me know and we can get together.

QWK SVT
06-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Don't know what the Toronto grocery store environments are like, but around here you can always find TD ATMs at Walmarts.
:nono: Nope. Not TD...

Here's another hint: The general media (esp. the Toronto Star, for locals) seems to single out the company that I work for, like we're the only FI to take risks when lending. OK - this one is too easy...

QWK SVT
06-01-2004, 06:56 PM
Hi QWK SVT

I haven't ever done a tint for the reason TTA mentioned- I've seen too many crappy jobs. I do think dealers will do it.

I work in Brampton- if you're in the area, let me know and we can get together.
I'm taking the plunge, tomorrow morning. If it doesn't rain too much, I'll have before and afters taken.

I've decided to go to Tint King. They've been in business forever, and offer a lifetime warrantee, so I'm not too worried about it fading / peeling / bubbling. I talked to one of my co-workers, who had it done, then his 2 year old daughter rolled down the window later then same day.:nono: The film peeled. He took it back, and they fixed it, no questions asked.

Dr Caleb
06-02-2004, 07:04 AM
:nono: Nope. Not TD...

Here's another hint: The general media (esp. the Toronto Star, for locals) seems to single out the company that I work for, like we're the only FI to take risks when lending. OK - this one is too easy...

Would it have anything to do with investment in SCO? ;)

TripleTransAm
06-02-2004, 08:28 AM

Sorry, not too easy... don't read the Toronto Star.

If your Interac system went down recently, I'd have to say Royal Bank. ;)

Dr Caleb
06-02-2004, 08:51 AM
If your Interac system went down recently, I'd have to say Royal Bank. ;)

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040416/laf044_1.html

Exactally. I won't get into the whole SCO/Linux/IBM thing.

TripleTransAm
06-02-2004, 09:02 AM
Hey QWK SVT, if you happen to work at Royal Bank anywhere near the IT department, track down this bozo named Jim Mills, smack him hard upside the back of the head (won't be hard since he shaved his head recently) and tell him his Trans Am Firehawk sucks rocks, is ugly, and slow... compliments of his good friend Steve in MTL ;) this message of inter-car-club harmony is brought to you by...

QWK SVT
06-02-2004, 09:13 PM
1> Please disregard the dirt on car - it's been raining the last few days
2> Sorry 'bout the size (72K)

http://www.qwksvt.com/Marauder_Files/Marauder/tinted.jpg

You guys are cracking me up, trying to guess the bank! There are only 5 big banks -TD (nope), Royal (wrong again), Scotia, CIBC, BMO... You've now got a 33% chance of being right... Here's the next hint:

We have cheesy commercials (just kidding, they're all cheesy). One word for ya - Enron! (someone's gotta get it, this time)

TripleTransAm - I'll just randomly smack people around downtown, in hopes that they know you :lol:

Dr Caleb
06-03-2004, 07:19 AM
Looks good QWK!

Here's a link to mine. I have 95% Limo in the back and rear window. Nothing on the front, but the really dark rear actually makes a difference to being able to see in the front! I got mine done at a local shop who is well known for his quality jobs, and ability to do multiple layer tints. It's the only Marauder he's ever done :)

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/327/password/0/sort/1/cat/500/page/3

Let's see, cheezy commercials, Enron, must be CIBC. No offense intended QWK, but I stopped dealing with them years ago, when the tellers got very rude in my local branch. :mad:

QWK SVT
06-03-2004, 09:00 AM
Looks good QWK!

Here's a link to mine. I have 95% Limo in the back and rear window. Nothing on the front, but the really dark rear actually makes a difference to being able to see in the front! I got mine done at a local shop who is well known for his quality jobs, and ability to do multiple layer tints. It's the only Marauder he's ever done :)

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/327/password/0/sort/1/cat/500/page/3

Let's see, cheezy commercials, Enron, must be CIBC. No offense intended QWK, but I stopped dealing with them years ago, when the tellers got very rude in my local branch. :mad:
Wow, you wouldn't know there's no tint up front, from that photo... Looks really nice - you guys, out west, have better backgrounds than us, too)

Ding ding ding... We have a winner! Yes, I work for CIBC. And yes, I know we have some issues with our retail staff. The bank knows about these issues, too. But they don't seem to be commited to fixing it. What can you expect, when you pay a teller $12/hour :nono: This is the person that is going to represent the organization, on a day-to-day basis, to 95% of our customer base, and it pays the same / less than Walmart? :rolleyes: But, this is a constant battle that happens in the organization, and never gets resolved...

Ah well, at least I don't work in the branches... I'm one of those head office-types, sitting in the ivory tower, plotting against the retail staff. At least that's what they seam to think...