PDA

View Full Version : New product?

Todd TCE
09-08-2017, 06:08 PM
Since we are on the topic of brakes elsewhere on this for him I thought I would share the latest kit that we have produced once again for Crown Vic owners.

This kit was first produced about 6 years ago for a large security company in Virginia......for their training exercises. It's a simple four piston conversion kit for the factory rotor. They wanted the better cooling properties of the aluminum calipers combined with the ease of pad changes. Today if we started over I would suggest that they use the nickel plated calipers. But because they had a an additional set of caliper sitting around they need a new brackets.

Back to the drawing board a bit a small change to the bracket and we have them in business.

No idea what the demand for such caliper kits are here or in the Crown Vic World in general.

All said and done calipers brackets pads and hose kits included would probably run about $889.

Wheel clearance needs: by the drawing 1.79" plus the air gap.

http://www.wilwood.com/Images/Caliper/Images_dimensions-lg/Forged_Narrow_Superlite_4_Radi al_Mt-cm-lg.jpg

Todd TCE
09-08-2017, 07:01 PM
I'll throw up some more info on this tomorrow if anyone is interested.

*Wheel fit.
**Knuckle work.
***Pricing.

MyBlackBeasts
09-08-2017, 07:16 PM
I'll throw up some more info on this tomorrow if anyone is interested.

*Wheel fit.
**Knuckle work.
***Pricing.

Interested!

ChiTownMaraud3r
09-09-2017, 10:19 AM
Wish you had a master cylinder upgrade or some sort of solution to get rid of the blank brake travel gap before it starts to engage.

Todd TCE
09-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Here is the front knuckle post mods. Both for the very early BSL6 kit and the steel plate that needed room for the caliper nubs, as well as the outer most mods where the radial bracket contacts it for the kit shown above. There is ample meat on this to remove what you see here. And if I run some more of them I might change the radius a tad to make removal a bit less. But you can't take much more off the bracket. *Mods here to the extreme right and left of the holes.

Why is this needed? This sucks, it shouldn't be done!~ Bad design!~ No..it's done only because the rotor is so small that the caliper has a super low mount height. This is not the case on the larger kits where the round bosses are farther from center line. There's simply no way around it on a 12" rotor.

Why would you want to do this kit? Truth is..I'm not sure. It was done specifically to the request of the g-man use above. For reasons stated. On the MM there is no increase in rotor size or mass. But...the pedal will be firmer, bias shifted a bit to the rear and response increased. If you're expecting to shave 20ft off your stopping distance I don't think that's going to happen. On the other hand having a sexy looking caliper set up on the front of you daily driver might be just the ticket if you want to spruce up the ride!

Todd TCE
09-09-2017, 10:49 AM
PRICING: If we run more of them (by a show of hands..) the price will be $917 shipped. That's postal flat rate box, sig required, anywhere in the US. Black or Red.

Todd TCE
09-09-2017, 10:52 AM
Wheel fit: Take a steel ruler and measure from the inside of your spokes to the existing rotor. You'll need a shade under 2" of space here.

Look at the diagram in the first post, far right hand side, find the 1.79" spec. That's from the rotor surface to the caliper body outer surface. Add a bit of air gap to that, say .100" and you have 1.90" of space needed. Or a smidge over 48mm

MyBlackBeasts
09-09-2017, 04:38 PM
Wheel fit: Take a steel ruler and measure from the inside of your spokes to the existing rotor. You'll need a shade under 2" of space here.

Look at the diagram in the first post, far right hand side, find the 1.79" spec. That's from the rotor surface to the caliper body outer surface. Add a bit of air gap to that, say .100" and you have 1.90" of space needed. Or a smidge over 48mm

1&5/8" puts you against the spoke. Will need a 1/2" spacer and should be plenty clearance for your 2" requirement.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170909/dc2b8b12e83bcc77816b236453c3e4 d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todd TCE
09-09-2017, 04:59 PM
That kinda explains the value of marketing such a kit. Most don't want spacers and longer stud headaches.

How does the 14" kit fit?? We moved the rotor inboard farther.

burt ragio
09-10-2017, 06:33 AM
Quote "Why would you want to do this kit? Truth is..I'm not sure. "
Other than better cooling properties & enhance cosmetic do you really believe that your kit would not result in a shorter stopping distance ? I would think going from a single piston caliper to a four piston would make a huge difference.

Todd TCE
09-10-2017, 08:48 AM
The efficiency and feel will be a huge difference. The overall braking force actually a bit less based on the area.

RF Overlord
09-10-2017, 11:20 AM
So few people do anything for the Panther platform anymore, now that it's been 6 years since being discontinued. Thanks, Todd! :up:

Todd TCE
09-10-2017, 12:13 PM
You're welcome. I try not to leave too many projects behind really. There are only a few things I've done that I don't still support today. I even sold some new rotors to a guy who had one of my SHO kits...from 1994! Figured they'd all be in the scrapper by now.

burt ragio
09-11-2017, 04:24 AM
What are the advantages of a fixed caliper verses a float caliper ?

Todd TCE
09-11-2017, 07:00 AM
What are the advantages of a fixed caliper verses a float caliper ?

Response, rigidity and feel. They have essentially no moving parts. Just the few thousandths of an inch of piston force from both sides. Whereas a sliding or floating caliper wastes energy moving moving on its bracket to actuate the outer pad.

MyBlackBeasts
09-11-2017, 05:27 PM
Response, rigidity and feel. They have essentially no moving parts. Just the few thousandths of an inch of piston force from both sides. Whereas a sliding or floating caliper wastes energy moving moving on its bracket to actuate the outer pad.

^^^ This! ^^^

It's why high end cars have pistons on both sides of rotor for each pad. Same with aftermarket brake upgrades like Wilwood, Brembo, etc.

BLACKMARAUDER04
09-12-2017, 05:17 PM
Todd, Which is better? This kit or Zack's big brake upgrade?

Todd TCE
09-12-2017, 05:31 PM
Todd, Which is better? This kit or Zack's big brake upgrade?

Tough to say. Define "better"......

One has a better caliper, the other a larger rotor.

One fits the wheel, the other requires a spacer.

Ideally one that has all of that will trump them both. :D