PDA

View Full Version : About Nitto Drag Radials:

BillyGman
06-04-2004, 02:38 AM
I got the Nitto P305/45/18 drag radial tires mounted on the back wheels that I had widened. They look and perform great. I have a little heads-up for you guys who are going to buy these tires and widened wheels in the future.....

When the tire place gets the widened wheels and the P305 tires on your car, they're going to tell you that there's a problem w/them since the wheels will not even turn due to the tires being right up against the shock absorbers. However, tell them to simply torque the wheels on and lower the car down to get all the car's weight on the shocks. Once they do, both you and them will see that there's enough clearence between the tire sidewalls and the shocks since the shocks will now be compressed a little bit from the weight of the car being on them. The shocks lean in a little bit towards the top of the car, therefore when the car is jacked up w/the weight of the wheels extending the shocks, and w/there also being none of the car's weight on the shocks to compress them, you'll see that the tire sidewalls will be right up against them.

but that does NOT indicate any problem w/the fit of the tires since it will be fine when they lower the car down.:up:

MARAUDER S/C #5
06-04-2004, 03:29 AM
I have about 1/8th of an inch space between the shock and the tire when the car is on the ground and running ( so that the air suspension is raised). The tires have rub marks on them from the shocks. I'm going to try lowering the car a little. If this doesn't give me much more clearance I will try some wheel spacers. :(

martyo
06-04-2004, 04:07 AM
I have about 1/8th of an inch space between the shock and the tire when the car is on the ground and running ( so that the air suspension is raised). The tires have rub marks on them from the shocks. I'm going to try lowering the car a little. If this doesn't give me much more clearance I will try some wheel spacers. :(

Some cars seem to be having this problem. I hope mine fit when I get 'em mounted up.

Please let us know what you do for spacers if that is the route that you take.

darebren
06-04-2004, 04:59 AM
that 295 nitto tire looks to be the best fit, and tread contact patch.

mpearce
06-04-2004, 05:28 AM
Spacers are a temporary fix. IMO I would try and make the wheels fit any way you can before going to spacers. Spacers exponentially increase the shear loads on your wheel studs...this could put you in a dangerous situation.

-Mat

Marauder
06-04-2004, 06:29 AM
Spacers are a temporary fix. IMO I would try and make the wheels fit any way you can before going to spacers. Spacers exponentially increase the shear loads on your wheel studs...this could put you in a dangerous situation.

-Mat

I have 7/32" spacers on my rear rims...This size spacer still leaves the rims hub centric and it pushed out the wheels a tad...no rubbing anywhere. The studs still have quite a bit of meat (at least 8 turns ) on them so I'm not concerned about it.

BillyGman
06-04-2004, 11:09 AM
With the P305's IF the tires do rub at all, it will only be momentarily during hard bumps or whoop-de-doos in the road when the shocks are able to extend quite a bit, or perhaps even during very hard cornering which isn't done every day. But weather it's every day or not, this doesn't pose any hazard. Such slight rubbing like that will NOT wear the sidewall of the tires nor cause damage.

The tread on these tires will wear out LONG before any significant damage will be done on the sidewalls because of such minor and occassional rubbing. I had rub marks on the inside of the tires on my 73 Vette, and I drove the car hard for 6 years like that w/those same tires while racking up 55,000 miles on them, and I never had a problem, and the sidewalls were still fine the day I sold it despite the rub marks.

Unless the sidewalls are rubbing 100% of the time, there's no problem w/this.

MikesMerc
06-04-2004, 11:27 AM
I haven't noticed any rub marks at all with the same set up, but I'm gonna keep my eye on it. I know that hard cornering can cause a little rubbing too with some cars.

Thanks for the info.

MARAUDER S/C #5
06-04-2004, 02:04 PM
that 295 nitto tire looks to be the best fit, and tread contact patch.
Had I known the tires would rub on the shocks I would have gone with the 295's. Even though some say this rubbing is not a concern, I do not feel comfortable with it.:cool4:

Jerry Barnes
06-04-2004, 04:00 PM
Hey Folks,

I have both tire sizes. Trilogy #1 has the 305's and Trilogy #2 has the 295's. And, Yes the 305's do rub on occassion, but it is nothing serious. I recently tried 3mm spacers on Trilogy #1 to see if that would help the problem. I agree with what many of you have said. My expereince is the same. I really do like the 305's, they really hook up well on the street and the strip. I think the rubbing occurs during hard sideways burnouts when the car finally hooks up and grabs real hard! The body jerks abruptly sideways and your heads snaps quickly! I love doing that! Did I mention I love my Marauders!!!! 52 years old going on 16!!!!

The 295's are good also, but I spin those very easily. I bet they are better in the rain due to the tread pattern.

So let the rubbing begin!!!!! I talking about tires now!!!!

Thanks

BillyGman
06-04-2004, 04:02 PM
I have news for you guys incase you don't already know this:

The Nitto P295 tires are NOT Drag radials. They're the NT555 while the Drag radial Nitto is the NT555R. So those P295 will wear longer than the Drag radial P305's will, but I doubt they will provide as much traction during a hard launch as the Drag radial P305's will. And traction is a priority for those of us who have S/Cers. The only other width that is offered in an 18" Drag radial Nitto tire is P285 and those are too short (they're only 25" height) and that will look terrible in the big wheel wells of our cars.

MARAUDER S/C #5
06-04-2004, 06:32 PM
With the P305's IF the tires do rub at all, it will only be momentarily during hard bumps or whoop-de-doos in the road when the shocks are able to extend quite a bit, or perhaps even during very hard cornering which isn't done every day.I put my widened rims and 305's on the car in my driveway, I then drove my car only around the block, very slow, easy around the corners, and avoided any bumps.When I got back to my house after only going around the block I looked under the car and both tires had rub marks on them from the shocks. Don't get me wrong here, I am not disappointed or complaining about this. I love this tire and wheel combo and I am just looking for a solution. I would feel a lot better if the tires where not rubbing on the shocks when I drive the car. I believe the only solution is to use wheel spacers. ;)

MARAUDER S/C #5
06-04-2004, 06:40 PM
I recently tried 3mm spacers on Trilogy #1 to see if that would help the problem.
How did this work out ?????????

MARAUDER S/C #5
06-05-2004, 06:44 AM
I have 7/32" spacers on my rear rims...This size spacer still leaves the rims hub centric and it pushed out the wheels a tad...no rubbing anywhere. The studs still have quite a bit of meat (at least 8 turns ) on them so I'm not concerned about it.
Thanks for the info. I am going to try this also. :up:

Marauder
06-08-2004, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the info. I am going to try this also. :up:

Glad to help. :D

woaface
06-08-2004, 07:08 PM
http://www.nittotire.com/lifestyle_competition_dario.as p

Hehehehehe