PDA

View Full Version : Possible Group Buy on 13" Street Sport Kit

LVMarauder
06-04-2004, 03:30 PM
Hey fellas, Im trying to generate interests on a group buy for the 13" 6 Piston brake kits. TCE's website said 5 kits is a place to start at and the more people = possibly more savings. Now, please dont think I am speaking for TCE becuase I am not but I want us as owners to let them know were interested. SO, if you want some serious stopping power reply to this post. Seroiusly replies only. Thanks.

MarauderMark
06-04-2004, 03:45 PM
i would need to know a price .is this front and rear or one set.then i'll need to see if i can afford the debt...

FLMARAUDER
06-04-2004, 03:59 PM
How much for the front ?
Is there a kit for the rear?, How much ?

Thanks

LVMarauder
06-04-2004, 04:55 PM
This is a front kit only. I feel replacing the fronts only is just fine since over 70% of the stopping goes on up there. Heres info straight from the horses mouth. Read

FRONT Brake Kit
Vehicle application: Mercury Marauder '03+

Description: A six piston caliper and custom rotor kit to fit stock wheels offering a modest variety of rotor finishes. Alternate use on Marquis and Crown Vic?

Rotor size I: 13.1 Directional vane
Rotor size II:
Rotor width I: 1.10
Rotor width II:

Calipers, base: BSL6n
Calipers, optional I: Varied depending upon wheels
Calipers, optional II:
Calipers, optional III:

Base kits: Street Sport
13.1 x 1.10 with BSL6n calipers $1250

Notes: Alternate, larger kits on 14" rotors and utilizing new Wiwood calipers are in the works. Costs are estimated to be starting at $1500. Available in late 2003. Kit adds 1/16" spacer to each side for wheel clearance, included.

Installation level: 1 ( easiest)
Pads included: Yes. Q pads unless alternates ordered. Up charge applies.
Hoses included: Yes. Fronts only.
Rear kit available: Not at this time. Under development.

Options list/price (per kit)
Gas slot rotors $55
Zinc plate rotors $65
Drill or drill and slot rotors $125
Earl’s Solo Bleeders $20

http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/BrakeKits/Marauder.mgi2

LVMarauder
06-04-2004, 05:02 PM
I hope I didnt do anything illegal right there posting that stuff off your website. If so, sorry,ill take it down imediately.

Logan
06-04-2004, 05:36 PM
Don't worry about it, it's not a secret. :)

MarauderMark
06-04-2004, 06:36 PM
I would be very interested in this...
Notes: Alternate, larger kits on 14" rotors and utilizing new Wiwood calipers are in the works. Costs are estimated to be starting at $1500. Available in late 2003. Kit adds 1/16" spacer to each side for wheel clearance, included.

This is something not yet available?if not will there be a group buy? :rock:

LVMarauder
06-04-2004, 06:50 PM
I've been researching brakes on here the last week and I BELEIVE ( this is not confirmed) that Todd is working on the 14" and is not out yet. The 14" kit does not work with the stock wheel.( see todds post below) I really like the stock wheel and thats why i want the 13" . The 14" is recommended for serious track use. Iam am attempting to organize a group buy for the 13's not the 14's , if you want to, feel free.

LVMarauder
06-05-2004, 05:02 PM
come on I know outta ALLL the owners on here some of you want brakes.

Logan
06-05-2004, 05:06 PM
I've got the 14's on my car. They CAN be used with a stock wheel, but the rotor must be shaved to 1.18" instead of 1.25"... They work and look great.

Todd TCE
06-05-2004, 05:13 PM
The 14s are complete and run $1575 as was stated in my 'forum', the ones that Logan has are not going to be made. They will thus NOT fit stock wheels as stated. I'm simply not happy with them to the point of wanting to sell them to folks with some unknowns. While perhaps OK for the street they are too light a rotor imho.

The 'real' 14s are 1.25 wide as they should be and have thicker walls.

I'll be happy to entertain the gb idea, but beware; don't get your hopes up for a real serious discount. Given the regular price they are already about $500 under market value. Still, we can talk.

FLMARAUDER
06-05-2004, 07:32 PM
LVMARAUDER,

Thanks for the info.

I am considering this upgrade since the last 6 new Ford vehicles I have owned all had crap for brakes( 2 Crown Victorias, 3 Taurus's, and a Turbo T-Bird). They all were pulsing by 10,000 miles. My Marauder just turned 10,000 miles this week and I dont like the feel of the brakes. Probably 700,000 miles on those cars and on every one I replaced the front rotors. Am I hard on brakes or have others had the same problems.

One more question, if I change my front brakes with one of these 6 piston kits, can I also get an upgraded rotor and pads for the front take off brakes and install them on the back?

Would it make any difference since the front does most of the stoping and with the upgraded brakes they would be much more effective?

Sorry, I guess thats 2 questions.

MarauderMark
06-05-2004, 08:28 PM
I think i may have 3 questions..
one being if i get the kit can they come w/ wilwoods and how much difference in price if any??

second what of these option would i be needing for lasting and performance ?

Options list/price (per kit)
Gas slot rotors $55
Zinc plate rotors $65
Drill or drill and slot rotors $125
Earl’s Solo Bleeders $20

one more being thses kits are complete .meaning i won't be stuck in the middle of installation needing a special part or anything...

Sorry for sounding like a pita but this is my first modded car , well ya'll know how that goes.. :) :rolleyes:

LVMarauder
06-06-2004, 12:55 PM
Would it be possible for owners of the kit or Todd to tell us the 70-0 braking distance. Stock was 184 i beleive.

LVMarauder
06-06-2004, 03:52 PM
MarauderMark- The kit comes with wilwoods. EVERYTHING you need comes with the kit ( other than brake fluid, duh) but no u wont be left fubar. And TCe doesnt suggest drilling. But my opinion if to get them zinc washed and gas slotted, but thats just me.

Flmarauder-"One more question, if I change my front brakes with one of these 6 piston kits, can I also get an upgraded rotor and pads for the front take off brakes and install them on the back? "

Umm i dont quite understand, the rotors and calipes are put together for the best match possible, i dont see why you would want to change that, as for pads yes you can choose different pads. I thought about putting the fronts on the back also but I dont think it will work as no one has done it, but thats no reason not to explore it further. And since 70% + of the stopping goes on up front it would be mostly for looks.

MarauderMark
06-06-2004, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=LVMarauder]MarauderMark- The kit comes with wilwoods. EVERYTHING you need comes with the kit ( other than brake fluid, duh) but no u wont be left fubar. And TCe doesnt suggest drilling.

I will check what i have on my card and get back to ya..

Todd TCE
06-07-2004, 09:47 PM
Gentlemen;

First my opinions on adding things to rotor surfaces can be read on my FAQ or rotor page on the web site. I offer the options as all in the industry do, however there are shortcomings with all of them to a point. It really depends upon your final needs. Drilling holes in your rotors just won't make you car stop faster, nor will adding gas slots extend pad life...Granted; some folks have other thougts on some of this and I accept that too.

As for fronts to the rear: Forget it. If you really would like some reading, dig up what I've written here on my rear kits and you'll soon see the complexity of it is way beyond the average user. And 'no' that one would not likely come with everything you'd need as it looks to be a real pain in the rear end. (so to speak)

The fronts come complete and if I've done my part right, you can do the work in a matter of a few hours.

Stopping distances. The key benefit to a big brake kit is not one of ultimate reduction in stopping distance. No, the benefits are doing it over and over without pad fade and offering up an improvement in pedal feeel and thus better modulation of the pedal. Ultimate torque will always be determined by the tire, not the brakes. In the brake kit world we tend to reduce piston area, increase rotor diameter and tune with brake pads. This is the reason that ANY rotor of stock size regardless of what it is or who makes it will NOT change the brake effectiveness. Changing the pad will however. In shopping for aftermarket rotors alone you are better off buying a rotor AND pad set. When shopping a larger kit you get the best of both as pedal feel as well as rotor torque is modified to enhance the package. This you do not get with pads and rotors alone.

I'm rambling a bit here due to lack of sleep, but the point is that 70-0 is only one way of measuring improvements. Maybe tomorrow we can talk about theremal capacity and such which will help extend my point.

BTW, jump on over to the Impala Forums, and ask them how the same basic package has been on their cars for the past 5 years. Bragging rights aside, I can say that I'm pretty much the bench mark for value and performance.

LVMarauder
06-08-2004, 12:32 PM
We need a forum for group buys that will keep all these sticky so everyone on the board ahs a chance to view them. Right now I want a head count of who is 100% honest to god serious about getting these brakes. Im one. who's two?

Todd TCE
06-11-2004, 05:21 AM
Let's keep this simple for now. I don't see a rush of folks wanting to do a gb deal.

I'll do a flat 10% through the end of the month. That makes the front package a bargain.

Shipped out one yesterday. Call me and you can be next! :D

Todd TCE
06-15-2004, 06:04 PM
This one built up some steam and then fell off the planet! :confused:

What's the verdict on things guys?

stevengerard
06-16-2004, 06:31 AM
This one built up some steam and then fell off the planet! :confused:

What's the verdict on things guys?

I may be jumping on this by the end of the month. This upgrade is like changing the old water pipes in your house, not much bling and almost no one will notice but you, yet it makes all the difference in the world. If you are trying to make your car go faster you need to slow it down safely.

Todd TCE
06-16-2004, 06:57 PM
What was the boo-boo?

Your message indicated you were ready to make your move. Give me a call tomorrow and we can work out the details.

I'm off to Pikes Peak on Sunday and the shop is closed all next week so any work to be done needs to be done soon!

MarauderMark
06-16-2004, 08:52 PM
What was the boo-boo?

Your message indicated you were ready to make your move. Give me a call tomorrow and we can work out the details.

I'm off to Pikes Peak on Sunday and the shop is closed all next week so any work to be done needs to be done soon!

Ok will do.. :D