PDA

View Full Version : Manifold back system?

Gagfish
06-04-2004, 04:43 PM
I'm planning on replacing my stock system with the one from Kooks but I would probably rather keep the stock manifold and just replace it from there back to the tailpipes. I wanted to see what others thought of this.

It seems from reading the other threads that replacing just the manifolds with the headers will only give you minimal gains while replacing the whole system will be a quite significant improvement. Can it be implied from this that it is not the manifolds that are very restrictive, but the rest of the system (cats, mufflers)? Also, it seems that installing headers is no easy task on this car and the engine may need to be unmounted to do so. I'm also concerned with the long-term effects on the other under-hood components with such a heat increase generated by headers. I'm assuming the performance gain will not be as good as if I do install headers, but how far off would it be? Lastly, will the x-pipe with cats and mufflers just bolt up to the existing system (manifolds, tail pipes) or does some welding and fabrication need to be done? Thanks for any input.

Logan
06-04-2004, 05:40 PM
The Kook's Exhaust is designed as a complete replacement and is bent for the headers. The Kook's headers are midlength and exit down near the tranny pan, the stock manifolds exit near half way down the bell housing. The Kook's piping is specific to their headers.

Yes, the stock manifolds ARE restrictive and I don't know where you got the idea that the headers are worth minimal power. I picked up 50rwhp at 6000rpm with the Kook's exhaust and have the dyno sheets to prove it.

Regarding heat, etc I've had my headers on for almost a year and haven't ever had a problem. The entire kit is well thought out. Regarding installation, 8-10 hours, I don't know that it's EVER much less than that, no matter the vehicle. On a Lightning it took me about 6-7 hours to swap headers in...

hitchhiker
06-04-2004, 07:18 PM
The Kook's Exhaust is designed as a complete replacement and is bent for the headers. The Kook's headers are midlength and exit down near the tranny pan, the stock manifolds exit near half way down the bell housing. The Kook's piping is specific to their headers.

Yes, the stock manifolds ARE restrictive and I don't know where you got the idea that the headers are worth minimal power. I picked up 50rwhp at 6000rpm with the Kook's exhaust and have the dyno sheets to prove it.

Regarding heat, etc I've had my headers on for almost a year and haven't ever had a problem. The entire kit is well thought out. Regarding installation, 8-10 hours, I don't know that it's EVER much less than that, no matter the vehicle. On a Lightning it took me about 6-7 hours to swap headers in...

Logan,

Who out here in Sacramento can get and install the KOOKS setup?

Thanks

David