PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm getting played

Romo53
07-28-2002, 01:20 PM
You guys are killing me with all these mods. I can't wait to tear into my Marauder. I plan on doing quite a bit of mods, however I am wondering by doing so if it will kill my warranty. Anybody out there been told about this? My dealership tech manager said he is checking on it, but he thinks that altering the computer will void the warranty. HELP! :mad:

Logan
07-28-2002, 01:32 PM
The trick to not getting your warranty voided is to NOT tell Ford everything you're doing to your car. :)

I've modified numerous cars from the factory and never had an issue with my warranty, but then, I usually would take the mods off before heading to the dealership service department so that they don't have to try to work around them.

Gears are a mod no dealership should have any issue with...

Fourth Horseman
07-28-2002, 03:16 PM
Gears they should never know about unless they have a reason to open up the rear end. I wonder about a chip, though. If you have to take a piece of the metal housing out to make the chip fit they might notice that.

On the other hand, I guess it's like the gears. If they have no reason to check then they'd never notice.

Perhaps that might be one of the advantages of going with a Ford performance chip. If it comes from Ford and is installed by Ford you'd think they'd have to honor the warranty.

Romo53
07-29-2002, 10:23 AM
Well, I know one thing about a performance chip that I learned with my Corvette. Any type of diagnostic work must be done with the stock chip in place. The performance chip was throwing all kinds of code. I'm really not too worried about the gears. I want the chip AND the super-charger! Ford might notice that! Ha! I guess one has to decide which bed to lie in.

Leadfoot
07-30-2002, 09:00 AM
Anyone who has driven a stock Marauder will know whether you have different gears by how fast the engine revs up.

Any type of mod can void the warranty if the dealer/Ford can prove it was the cause of the problem. If, for instance, you had 4.10 gears and then broke an axle shaft, they can void your warranty because the 4.10 gears increased the torque in the shafts. Also, the gears make the engine spin faster for the same vehicle speed which will decrease the engine life (when measured by mileage).

I have heard of dealers voiding warranties on engines because just a K&N filter was installed. I've also heard of dealers fixing heavily modified vehicles under warranty. My dealer never said anything about my mods (before the s/c). Its all up to the dealer.

See SEMAs site for more info http://www.enjoythedrive.com/content/?id=8124