PDA

View Full Version : Ralph Moody of Holman and Moody

merc406
06-11-2004, 10:07 AM
passes away at 86. A long time Ford racing inavator and racing team owner, partner, and was truly and nice man.

RCSignals
06-11-2004, 10:30 PM
A legend in the Ford performance world.

Holman and Moody, along with Ford were working on an overhead cam version of the Y-Block in 1957.
The project was apparently dropped around the time that manufacturers agreed to end factory sponsored racing.

MarauderMike
06-12-2004, 06:02 AM
The passing of Ralph Moody is a great loss to the racing community, he was an innovator. The Holman-Moody Fords raced in a time of NASCAR when the car actually looked like it the car you could buy at the dealer. It was a time when those teams with the best of ideas, innovations, crew members and drivers ran up in the front of the pack. Today's racing is much different, the cars virtually look all alike in the so called interest of "racing parity". Today's rules dictate and restrict engine builders to NASCAR approved cylinder heads provided by each manufacturer in the interest if "racing parity". Today's NASCAR, while the fastest growing and most popular sport in America gives you cars which for the most part you can only identify by the manufacturer logo on the hood, single file racing only interupted by those drivers willing to take some extraodinary chances to move through the pack. So with the passing of Ralph Moody so passes another of the greater chapters in American stock car racing.

Fastronald
07-16-2004, 02:31 PM
The mention of Holman and Moody in the Chicago area when I was Drag Racing made many stop to hear what was being said. We need more guys like them

mcb26
07-16-2004, 02:37 PM
I went to his induction at the IMHOF at Talladega. I don't know if they ever fixed it or not but his plack said Ralphy Moody. He said " Somewhere Little Joe's (Weatherly) laughing his head off.

Tallboy
07-16-2004, 09:15 PM
The passing of Ralph Moody is a great loss to the racing community, he was an innovator. The Holman-Moody Fords raced in a time of NASCAR when the car actually looked like it the car you could buy at the dealer. It was a time when those teams with the best of ideas, innovations, crew members and drivers ran up in the front of the pack. Today's racing is much different, the cars virtually look all alike in the so called interest of "racing parity". Today's rules dictate and restrict engine builders to NASCAR approved cylinder heads provided by each manufacturer in the interest if "racing parity". Today's NASCAR, while the fastest growing and most popular sport in America gives you cars which for the most part you can only identify by the manufacturer logo on the hood, single file racing only interupted by those drivers willing to take some extraodinary chances to move through the pack. So with the passing of Ralph Moody so passes another of the greater chapters in American stock car racing.
i have but one word to add...amen,:bows: :bows: