PDA

View Full Version : Inner Tire Wear

Petrograde
06-13-2004, 01:34 PM
Well,.. I just had my front tires off so I could clean them, my brakes, and my fender wells. :rolleyes:

I found both front tires had some pretty bad wear on the inner sides. :depress:

I this can be caused by under inflation combined with hard cornering. I don't think 32 psi is under inflated.

Does anyone think that looks like something caused by an alignment issue?

Thanks!

BTW - I just passed 17,000 miles those are the original tires.

Logan
06-13-2004, 01:56 PM
Inflate the fronts to 35psi. Yes, that wear is a alignment problem. Get the dealership to align it and look up the revised torque procedure for the lower control arms. If memory serves, it's a multistep torque sequence resulting in a final torque of 165ft/lbs... Anything less and it won't hold the alignment.

Marauderman
06-13-2004, 03:04 PM
Well,.. I just had my front tires off so I could clean them, my brakes, and my fender wells. :rolleyes:

I found both front tires had some pretty bad wear on the inner sides. :depress:

I this can be caused by under inflation combined with hard cornering. I don't think 32 psi is under inflated.

Does anyone think that looks like something caused by an alignment issue?

Thanks!

BTW - I just passed 17,000 miles those are the original tires.
Yes it is an alignment problem--just as Logan has said--I had the same problem in Alt a few weeks back--had to use my full spare to be safe on way back--alignment following week showed a full degree and one half off--used up the inside of left front to the core--rest of tire looked perfect--darn!!
Makes for a good spare....so check that front end---it's off for sure!!!..Tom

CRUZTAKER
06-13-2004, 06:23 PM
Ditto on the alignment issue....

And remember the golden rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The service manager WILL follow you wheel to wheel inspecting each for lack of gouges, and the fair warning that any gouges
will not be tolerated and wheel replacement will be the only accepted resolution to damage to your wheels....
All is cool though and shake his hand as he reluctantly agrees...:cool:

Bradley G
06-13-2004, 06:35 PM
Ditto on the alignment issue....

And remember the golden rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The service manager WILL follow you wheel to wheel inspecting each for lack of gouges, and the fair warning that any gouges
will not be tolerated and wheel replacement will be the only accepted resolution to damage to your wheels....
All is cool though and shake his hand as he reluctantly agrees...:cool: I have gouges and scratches on my wheels from multiple service intervals.I still have a wheel shake . My tires are still not indexed (red dot on tire lined up with valve stem)

Petrograde
06-13-2004, 07:18 PM
Thanks guys,... I figured it was an alignment issue. I used to work at a Western Auto changing tires, so I've seen that pattern before.

Thanks for the advice Barry. Unfortunately, every one of my rims has a bit of scarring around the rims. I think it would be hard to claim anything if they do scratch 'em. I guess I'll do the walk around with my camera in hand!

hmmm,... might be time for ROH Drift-R's? :banana:

Thanks again guys! :up: Once again,.. MM.net comes though!

Logan
06-14-2004, 05:27 AM
Brad, have you had the tires Road Forced? If not, don't pass go or collect $200. Go get them roadforced.

Bluerauder
06-14-2004, 08:25 AM
"...snip..." I used to work at a Western Auto changing tires, so I've seen that pattern before. "...snip..." :banana:

Thanks again guys! :up: Once again,.. MM.net comes though!
I also worked for Western Auto (Baltimore #11) for about 4 years in high school and college ('66-'69) for walking around money. My official title was "Stockboy" but I did everything from soup to nuts including mounting and balancing tires, installing batteries, working the floor and register, fixing displays, unloading the semi-trailers, waxing floors, and washing the store windows. Come to think of it .... they got a pretty good deal for $3.25 per hour.
Of course, I was drafted from a 5 & 10 cent store making $1.00 per hour and my official title there was "galley slave".

Bradley G
06-16-2004, 07:06 AM
Brad, have you had the tires Road Forced? If not, don't pass go or collect $200. Go get them roadforced.Yes I have 3 seperate times still shakes . through this site I have learned so much. two new tires are reQuested under warranty through Michelin. Heavy D. posted some good info yesterday about steering box (side back lash out of spec) .Very incourageing to get feedback from other MM enthusiests and you !!Logan I love this Site THANK YOU!!:bows: :bows: :bows: sincerely Bradley G.

Petrograde
06-16-2004, 03:27 PM
Brad, have you had the tires Road Forced? If not, don't pass go or collect $200. Go get them roadforced.
what's Road Forced?

carfixer
06-16-2004, 04:52 PM
what's Road Forced?

Here is a copy and paste from Hunter's website:

"The GSP9700 Vibration Control System includes Hunter's exclusive Road Force Measurement System. This system utilizes a “road roller” which measures the uniformity of the wheel and tire, simulating a road force test and verifying if the assembly is “round when rolling” under load. Now nearly all wheel/tire-related vibration problems can be diagnosed and/or eliminated in seconds."

The load rollers measure "road force variation". Basically the difference from the hardest spot of the tire to the softest. The variation is generally caused by differences in the sidewall of the tire.

I have used this machine for many years and have solved many of vibration problems with it.

Have your tires "road forced". It's worthwhile.

shawn744
07-23-2004, 05:49 PM
reviving this thread....after my 03 MM's new illness (check out thread "please help, hearing noise from car") i've been researching past threads for new info. I recently checked my front tires @ 16000 and the insides are worn to ****....it's got excessive wear on the insides of the front tires....lemme ask you guys, when/if you took it to your dealer, besides alignment, DID ANY OF YOU GET NEW FRONT OR REAR TIRES FROM YOUR DEALERSHIP?....if yes, how? what did you tell them? if my rears are worn in 8000-10000, can i clain MFR's defect? or will they accuse me of abuse?...thanks. -shawn

Donny Carlson
07-23-2004, 06:20 PM
reviving this thread....after my 03 MM's new illness (check out thread "please help, hearing noise from car") i've been researching past threads for new info. I recently checked my front tires @ 16000 and the insides are worn to ****....it's got excessive wear on the insides of the front tires....lemme ask you guys, when/if you took it to your dealer, besides alignment, DID ANY OF YOU GET NEW FRONT OR REAR TIRES FROM YOUR DEALERSHIP?....if yes, how? what did you tell them? if my rears are worn in 8000-10000, can i clain MFR's defect? or will they accuse me of abuse?...thanks. -shawn
The same thing happened to me at similar mileage. The dealer told me I was SOL because the car had more than 10,000 miles. The answer was new tires and a proper alignment.

I have basically resigned myself to the fact that our tires are good for 20,000 miles, and considering Tire Rack's prices, it aint too bad a hit replacing them at those intervals.

shawn744
07-23-2004, 08:40 PM
The same thing happened to me at similar mileage. The dealer told me I was SOL because the car had more than 10,000 miles. The answer was new tires and a proper alignment.

I have basically resigned myself to the fact that our tires are good for 20,000 miles, and considering Tire Rack's prices, it aint too bad a hit replacing them at those intervals.

tire rack's got awesome prices for our rear tires....however i have never seen the front tires drop a cent below $125...or whatever they are...128.......

purelux
07-24-2004, 07:53 AM
oem tires almost neaver last as long as the same tire bought in a store. They have the same tread patter and whatnot but usually they don't have as much tread on them. Though a high performance wheel is usually going to have a shorter lifespan.

David Morton
07-26-2004, 11:28 PM
On tires as wide as ours are, I can't believe the specs are so negative but there it is, LM is calling for -0.7 camber on both sides. This would be fine if I was driving on the track at Daytona but in the real world the roads are crowned. I set front ends for Chevoldsmopontibuick for three years and every car called for a positive camber, even the 'vettes.

So here's what I did. I took it to my dealership after I had it a week and had the guy set my camber specs to a more positive number, within specs but still negative , -0.1L, -0.2R and I have been watching the wear. Mine seem to be wearing pretty even.

Marauderjack
07-29-2004, 04:12 AM
I have a new set of rears that my dealer "donated" under warranty.....He couldn't install them so I had it done elsewhere!! :cool:

I found from experimenting and talking to BFG....Tire People....that 38-40 psi up front and 42 psi in the rears will give the best wear on the OEM BFG's!! I suspect I will get 40K out of them now.....at 7K the rears were gone in the middle from "UNDERINFLATION"....go figure!! :confused:

I know that high pressure will not give me the best traction but I do a bunch of highway driving and good tire wear is my goal for now!! :rock:

Marauderjack :rasta:

dwasson
07-29-2004, 05:47 AM
Mine was alignment. It was way off.

Heavy351
07-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Oh its alignment for sure. Go back and get new tires soon!

I wrecked my original set of front tires within 8000 miles and the dealer said the alignment was "way off" I asked how did that make it throught the dealer prep? No answer but I got new fronts the next day. I have 18,000 miles now and the same thing is happening again but I am past the 10K (or is it 12K?) limit on replacement under warranty.

For those of us still trashing tires, if I take it back there how do I refer to this torque procedure? Ideally, I would like them to check the alignment before they did anything so they have to acknowlege the car isnt holding to specs. I'm sure I wont get tires out of the deal but maybe they can cut me a break on the realignment.

Should the dealer willingly take some camber out if I ask nicely?

David Morton
07-29-2004, 12:04 PM
Oh its alignment for sure. Go back and get new tires soon!...
...Should the dealer willingly take some camber out if I ask nicely?Sure he will. As long as what you are asking for is within specs. Anything out of specs and he can't indemnify the front end to perform properly, so don't ask for that. Zero degrees is within specs, but I wanted to stay on the negative side of that because it does help the handling some.

TripleTransAm
07-29-2004, 05:32 PM
I found from experimenting and talking to BFG....Tire People....that 38-40 psi up front and 42 psi in the rears will give the best wear on the OEM BFG's!! I suspect I will get 40K out of them now.....at 7K the rears were gone in the middle from "UNDERINFLATION"....go figure!! :confused:

These tires are a paradox indeed...

I've kept them inflated to 32-34 psi (depending on my mood) and at 38000 km (~24000 miles) there is HEAVY wear down the middle of my rear (tires, that is). Everyone at my dealership today agreed it looked like overinflation. However, after a bit of highway driving mixed with some stop/go, my rear tires showed tread temperatures of ~110 F on the outer treads and about 105 F in the center. Wouldn't this imply UNDER inflation?

*sigh*

shawn744
08-01-2004, 11:51 AM
i've been following this thread and gonna go to my dealer about my alignment issue, the only thing is you're losing me on this camber measures stuff. What do you mean by loss of handling with different camber measures....

JamesHecker
08-01-2004, 12:07 PM
My dealer, who is totally cool and mod friendly, says that the wear in the middle of the rears is from spinning the tires all the time. I think in my case it would certainly make sense.

He said the the front inside wear was alignment, toe or camber, and he fixed it.

TripleTransAm
08-01-2004, 04:01 PM
My dealer, who is totally cool and mod friendly, says that the wear in the middle of the rears is from spinning the tires all the time. I think in my case it would certainly make sense.

The only problem with that explanation is that I rarely spin the tires on this car. Honestly. The number of times I've laid into it to produce wheelspin is a minute fraction of my total driving mileage... 99.9 % of the time my son is in the car with me, and I'm not going to sacrifice any amount of control in those situations. And yet it's SO obvious how much more worn the center of my rear tires are.

The tire temps prove it... 32-34 PSI still results in odd across-the-tread temps. I can't figure it out, it must be a characteristic of the tire construction. I can't say I like it, though... it's pretty much the narrowest tire in my car collection now, and with TONS more abuse I never saw anything close to this on my WS6. I got 40000 miles out of the original F1s with countless drag sessions, many day-long road course events, and a lot of long-distance high-heat runs... I've still got them downstairs (for spares) and they showed even wear across the treads in back (rotated them once early on).

I hear BFG is reworking their tire selection...

Heavy351
08-02-2004, 11:09 AM
So you are saying there is a direct relationship between tire temp and tire wear?

If so I wonder why the factory tire pressure has not been set based on such readings...

Hey, I'll run at whatever pressure works. running 42 on thiis new rear set, we shall see.

David Morton
08-04-2004, 10:13 PM
i've been following this thread and gonna go to my dealer about my alignment issue, the only thing is you're losing me on this camber measures stuff. What do you mean by loss of handling with different camber measures.... Negative camber is when the top of the tire is closer to the centerline of the car than the bottom, sorta knock kneed if you will, and this will help traction when you're hot 'n heavy in the curves, but it wears the H. E. double-hockey-sticks out of the inside of the tire.

Meteorite
08-05-2004, 04:20 AM
I had the severe inner-edge tire wear on my MM, also. So, I had my wife take it in to the L-M dealership. After she waited for 45 minutes, they told her they did not have the right equipment/parts to do the alignment?!

What's up with that? Anyone else run into that.

Marc
08-05-2004, 05:33 AM
I just got my tires last week. Same thing on the worn out tires on the front to the point that cord was showing through. I replaced all 4 tires and these the OEMs wore so unevenly that I had as little as 2/32 tread and as much as 7/32 tread left on the rears. I did have an alignment issue which isn't surprising given the roads around here, but I was experiencing uneven wear even before that because of the manufacturers recommended psi is too high.

I went to Sears which offers a price matching deal. I got the fronts for $104 and they matched Tire Rack's price on the rears of $84. After alignment and tax, I was out of there for just over $500.