PDA

View Full Version : MM on the racetrack

Redster
06-13-2004, 08:59 PM
What a deal! I've had the MM on 2 racetracks in less than a month. First, Texas Motor Speedway and now Hallet race track in Oklahoma this weekend.
http://www.hallettracing.com/
One thing for sure I didn't set any speed records at either track.
I signed up for the "track tour" on Friday. I don't think I'm ready for an open track event yet. (go to driver's school?) The tour is "speed controlled" laps with no passing allowed. Good for me and maybe not so good for some others (more later). Well I don't know about it being speed controlled as I got to go fast as I wanted considering I had ballast, oops scratch that, I had my wife on board. Good news, she says she will never do that again. Just kidding, she was a pretty good sport about it and kept quiet the whole time, but she really did say she wouldn't do it again.
All in all I got about 10 laps for my $50. I probably could have taken a few more if I had gotten there earlier. Well, there is always next year. By the way, the event was the Mid-America Shelby and Ford Performance meet sponsored by the Oklahoma Shelby Club. These guys put on a great 4 day event with time on the road course, drag strip culminating in a car show and they put in a ton of work.
Anyway, I got to take my laps. Impressions.
1. Takes a couple of laps to figure out where the turns, straights, hills, etc. are located.
2. Felt kinda cool when I was pulling car lengths on a sixtes Mustang. (did he have a six in that thing?)
3. Felt not so cool when I had an AER Cobra Mustang behind me. Felt more like a mobile road block.
4. Felt like Darn? when a Roush Focus with factory plates was all over my ass. I figured that I could pull some car lengths on the straights, but no way.
I won't even talk about what happened in the corners.
5. It was way cool going WOT down the front straight past the flag stand and even better when he waved the checkered flag. I had never seen a checkered from inside my own car.
6. Burned a little rubber each time coming out of turn 9 WOT.
7. At the end of the front straight is a corner called "Dead Horse Turn" and going from near 90 to 30-35 to make that turn at the bottom of the downhill straight requires real faith in your brakes. (you can't really see the turn until you are about 400 feet out) (Damn the brakes were hot. When I parked afterwards you could feel the heat standing next to the car.)
I talked to the Roush and AER guys today. They were pretty good natured about my mobile roadblock. The AER guy really perked up after I told him I had my car at his car show last month.
No other MM's on the track that day but I did see a silver one on the drag strip. I talked to the owner and driver at the car show, it is labeled "Silver Fox" and says he has seen this website. I gave him the skinny on Logan's mods. He has a real interesting mod I'll only talk about off line.
At the end of the day I have these conclusions.
1. If I am going to run these events, I need to go to driver's school.
2. If I am going to run open track events, the first mod will be brakes.
It was a good weekend.

HwyCruiser
06-13-2004, 09:19 PM
Rodster,

That sounded awesome! :banana2:

I'd kill to get on an open track like that. Hey, let me know if you sign up for that driving school. Tulsa's just down the road, I've driven there several times on business... maybe I can make it down for fun once.

- JD

Redster
06-13-2004, 09:53 PM
Rodster,

That sounded awesome! :banana2:

I'd kill to get on an open track like that. Hey, let me know if you sign up for that driving school. Tulsa's just down the road, I've driven there several times on business... maybe I can make it down for fun once.

- JD

Check out their website. Looks like they have a driving school about once a month. http://www.hallettracing.com/

JamesHecker
06-13-2004, 11:38 PM
Awesome Rodster!

I've had mine on the track too and I can say I'm sure you were having a great time. My son went with me. I have a picture in the gallery. Here is a link to a video of the day my son made.

www.sof.ws/files/wsmarauder.mov

JamesHecker
06-13-2004, 11:43 PM
Here's the link to the picture in the gallery.

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/showphoto.php/photo/406/password/5c17f7f9feff5580bf7ecf8d8ae533 a8/sort/1/cat/500/page/1

2003 MIB
06-14-2004, 06:09 AM
Wow Rod!!!- For a man who doesn't talk much, you tell a wonderful story...it was great to read your memories of the weekend! Thanks!