PDA

View Full Version : Silencer Removal Fix

cyled
01-05-2003, 05:44 PM
Well I came up with what I think is a good solution for removing the silencer on our snorkel. It is actually a very easy fix. Two parts needed from Home Depot (or your favorite store). A 2" PVC cap (.58) and a 3 inch hose clamp (.29).

Here is the link to my photo album.
Silencer Removal Pics (http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/cyled67/lst?.dir=/General/Marauder+Silencer&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/)

Couple of things to note:

I took a detail of the cap. It has a notch that sticks out. There is actually a little notch where the slincer plugs into the snorkel. I made sure to put the dimple in the same space. I made sure to torque it down real good to make sure it seals. I put the round side into the snorkel (theory is to help with air flow). When it warms up, I will probably paint it.

Have not had a chance to drive it since doing this, but so far it seems okay. After chatting with LincMercLover, he said he had removed his and he may say if he noticed a difference or not.

I just can't think it helps to have the silencer. Plus it is a place for heat to gather as it hangs towards the exhaust (just a theory no proof)

KSMM03
01-05-2003, 06:17 PM
Just a silly question, what does this do??

cyled
01-05-2003, 06:24 PM
It is suppose to help make the car "quieter". Maybe somebody who knows more about the design can help out.

I think it makes it looks like Grandpa's car, plus I think it has to mess with the air flow, but again I really have no proof. I just thinks it look stupid.

:D

RCSignals
01-05-2003, 09:03 PM
From what I've read about doing this to the CV, it makes no difference at all to performance removing it. Some people think it's best left in place.

LincMercLover
01-05-2003, 09:10 PM
The silencer is used to eliminate a sucking noise under full throttle.

Cycled did a good job, but probably spent more money than me. :D

Oh the wonders of Heavy Duty Duct Tape! :up: I merely took mine out (which involves destroying the origanal clamp), taped over it making sure to leave enoph around the edges of the silencer itself to be clamped, and stuck it back in. Luckily I had some radiator hose clamps lying around. Clamped her back in. Did some through tests under WOT at defferent speeds, and nothing moved an inch. :burnout: Weather or not this helps anything, I have no clue, but surely it doesn't hurt, and it sure does sound neat! :cool4: I would imagine though it does help straighten the air a little...

Pantherman
01-06-2003, 01:27 AM
This is a Helmholz resonator. These things are tuned to minimize particular frequency peaks many people find annoying. The resonator should have no effect on performance.

cyled
01-06-2003, 05:01 AM
I wasn't expecting any real (if any) performance gain. It is just something about the way it looks just hanging there. I have not paid attention to the newer Cobra's with our engine, but I don't recall seeing one on them. :D

Just something to do to add to my car. Besides, I want to hear it at wide open.

BTW, I was able to do it and keep the stock clamp in tack to use later. You have to bend up the little tab that is stuck through the whole with a pair of needle nose first. Then it comes right off. If I ever do put it back on and want it stock, I should be able to bend it back (key word "should")

looking97233
01-06-2003, 11:36 AM
The only way to actually tell if it makes a difference is to install a boost gage above the silencer, then check the vac. at idle then drive the vehicle recording va*** at different throttle positions and rpm's. Then after removal, repeat the tests. Less va***=more power.

However the intake design is really efficent, I don't think there is much, if anything to gain. I could be wrong though.

For info goto www.kennebell.net and look at the tech. stuff.

Appearently the curse elliminator isn't quite perfect.

SergntMac
01-28-2003, 03:14 PM
Congrats LML, on being the first to use duct tape on an MM...LOL

It was only a matter of time, and I really thought the sub-woofer issue would see our first duct tape repair.

Now that this "first" is out of the way...Coat hanger anyone?

ROTFLMAO...

Um...Sorry, LML, don't mean to flame ya here Bud...but, you did fess up.

LincMercLover
01-28-2003, 10:10 PM
Hey, your life depends on duct tape! You know how much duct tape is holding the earth in orbit?!?! You'd be amazed....

And besides, it wasn't like grey duct tape, this is special, heavy duty, heavy sticky, "duct tape." Only reason I used it was because I think my dealer would look at me funny with a PVC sewer cap sticking out of my intake hose... (sorry cycled) :D

SergntMac
01-29-2003, 08:39 AM
how true...

WolfeBros
01-29-2003, 10:07 AM
Hmmmmm.........sewer cap.... sounds like a general motors part.

Just kiddin Chevy brothers..... :lol:

RF Overlord
01-29-2003, 11:26 AM
When I was young(er), we used to call the large diameter, rusty, home-made single-exhaust tailpipes with Cherry Bomb mufflers "sewer pipes"...

mtnh
01-30-2003, 07:29 AM
Oh yeah, well when I was in the Navy, the surface ship sailors used to call our submarines "sewer pipes". Probably they smelled like them in the early sub days, but by the 70s, and probably before that, they had successfully deodorized the fleet, in part by technology to clean the air, and also in part by providing 10K gallons of fresh water a day, more than enough to wash everyone thoroughly at least once a day. :^)

Mike, a former "sewerpipe sailor"

RCSignals
01-30-2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by LincMercLover
Only reason I used it was because I think my dealer would look at me funny with a PVC sewer cap sticking out of my intake hose... (sorry cycled) :D

You put a CAP on your intake hose?? :eek: :eek:

cyled
02-02-2003, 11:48 AM
LOL... After it is sprayed painted and the way it sits back in there (does not stick out) you can not really tell what it is.

But still funny... sewer cap!:D

FordNut
02-02-2003, 04:58 PM
You might try and find a schedule 80 pvc cap. Most schedule 80 is dark gray and you may not need paint or duct tape to hide it.

CRUZTAKER
02-08-2003, 11:51 AM
GENTLEMAN,

FOR THOSE OF US NON MECHANICAL TYPES... WHERE DOES THIS RESONATER LIVE, I LIKE LOUD CARS TOO, MUST FIND IT, PITCH IT..

MAD-3R
02-08-2003, 08:04 PM
Right off the air intake, past the air filter. Looks like a J hanging down.

MSR7878
07-24-2003, 03:37 PM
I used a 2" Quick Plug which is made out of black rubber, dealership didn't notice and it looks better than white pvc. Also, if you like intake noise (I DO) try opening up the lower part of the air cleaner box a little, I did it and got better sound and about 1mpg increase.

LincMercLover
07-24-2003, 10:06 PM
I dunno if I'd do that... You lift that part up a lil, you have no filter for any crud that may come in through there, and the MAF has no screen...

shawn744
09-02-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by SergntMac

It was only a matter of time, and I really thought the sub-woofer issue would see our first duct tape repair.

Hey Sergnt, i caught "subwoofer" in your post and i was wondering what is the subwoofer issue?....i'm asking because ever since i picked up ma 'rauder, the subwoofer is making a rattling/vibrating noise when the bass is on full (100%). It ALSO makes the same noise when it's at 50% bass. That REALLY annoying...i was thinking of puttin an aftermarket sub in it....but then realized that the stock sub is awesome, just needs a little less rattle....any thoughts?...should i take it to the dealer?

jgc61sr2002
09-02-2003, 06:49 PM
Shawn - Many members of this board had their sub-woofer repaired by the dealer. There was a thread with detailed instructions to make the repair.

DetGeno
09-02-2003, 08:05 PM
And there is nothing wrong putting a lil "Alabama Chrome" on the MM!

jgc61sr2002
09-03-2003, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by DetGeno
And there is nothing wrong putting a lil "Alabama Chrome" on the MM! Det Geno - "ALabama Chrome"??

MAD-3R
09-03-2003, 06:56 AM
DUCT TAPE!!!

TripleTransAm
04-10-2004, 08:03 PM
Little by little, Hitchhiker's gonna manage to revive all threads since 2002.

TAF
04-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Little by little, Hitchhiker's gonna manage to revive all threads since 2002.
So I'm NOT the only one who has noticed this...eh /Steve? :D