PDA

View Full Version : An old myth Dies:

BillyGman
06-17-2004, 09:12 AM
atleast it should die.....the "myth" that I'm speaking of is the one that's been propogated by some of our fellow members of this board, which holds the claim that the roots type Supercharger such as the one included in the Trilogy kit will provide "Too Much Low-end Torque", and therefore all of that torque will not be useable during acceleration off the line in a 1/4 mile race.

All I can say to that myth, is that while I do NOT knock our fellow board members who cling on to that theory, and while they are entitled to their opinion just like anyone else is, I DO fully disagree w/them on that since I KNOW that this claim is based on nothing more than MYTHOLOGY. Yes, I know that it's mythical, and you can know too simply by taking a look at my signature below to view my 1/4 mile 60' time at the track of a mere 1.6 seconds which is right there w/Lidio's car. And if anyone doubts my word on that, or questions my integrity, then they can simply take a look at our timeslip data base here on the board where I have posted not one, but two of my timeslips which both list 60' times of 1.6 seconds.

Listen friends, you can't acheive a 1.6 second 60' time w/a 2ton vehicle if your tires are spinning. And those 60' times were acheived w/nothing more than drag radials that I also use on the street and are ofcourse steet legal. I was NOT using slicks. My point is, that here I am w/not only the Eaton/Trilogy ROOTS type blower sitting on top of the engine in my Marauder, but in addition to that I also have 4.56 gears in the rear of that car, as well as a 3000 RPM stall speed. All the makings of potentially out of control tire spin upon the launch. However despite all of those factors, and all the claims in the past of the roots type blower having "TOO MUCH" Low-end torque, here I am having acheived the absolute best 60' time, and therefore the best launch of any Marauder owner on this board w/the exception of only one, and that only one happens to be using Nitrous oxide in addition to the Trilogy S/Cer on his Marauder, and ofcourse that would be Lidio.

So I hope this fact that my car has hooked up so well in two back to back 1/4 mile runs will lay to rest those notions, or atleast the claims that the roots type blower will produce "too much" torque to be utilized upon the launch, and that in itself should be a valid reason for choosing a centrifugal type S/Cer for your Marauder instead of a Trilogy ROOTS type Supercharger. Because that claim and/or notion is just plain false, and I've proven that it is w/my Marauder.

And if anyone still wants to argue about this, than I welcome you to challenge me at any track in the tri-state area w/your own Marauder. If you have a centrifugal S/Cer on a Marauder that is making less than 500 HP to the wheels, then feel free to try and acheive a better 60' time than I can w/my car. If you dare to claim that you can, then I'll meet you at any track in these three states (CT, NY., or NJ) and I'll prove you wrong, as long as you aren't running slicks.

And BTW, if anyone plans on doing that, then you better be prepared to bring some $$ w/you to the track because if you're going to decide to get me out of my homestate (there really aren't any tracks in CT) simply to prove you wrong, then you're going to have to make it worth my while.

TAF
06-17-2004, 09:18 AM
Oh...I thought this was about "Don't go swimming right after you eat...or you'll get "cramps"....

MICA Racing
06-17-2004, 09:21 AM
...And I never grew hair on my palms...

MARAUDER S/C #5
06-17-2004, 09:23 AM
atleast it should die.....the "myth" that I'm speaking of is the one that's been propogated by some of our fellow members of this board, which holds the claim that the roots type Supercharger such as the one included in the Trilogy kit will provide "Too Much Low-end Torque", and therefore all of that torque will not be useable during acceleration off the line in a 1/4 mile race.

All I can say to that myth, is that while I do NOT knock our fellow board members who cling on to that theory, and while they are entitled to their opinion just like anyone else, I DO fully disagree w/them on that since I KNOW that this claim is based on nothing more than MYTHOLOGY. Yes, I know that it's mythical, and you can know too simply by taking a look at my signature below to view my 1/4 mile 60' time at the track of a mere 1.6 seconds which is right there w/Lidio's car. And if anyone doubts my word on that, or questions my integrity, then they can simply take a look at our timeslip data base here on the board where I have posted not one, but two of my timeslips which both list 60' times of 1.6 seconds.

Listen friends, you can't acheive a 1.6 second 60' time w/a 2ton vehicle if your tires are spinning.And those 60' times were acheived w/nothing more than drag radils that i also use on the street and are ofcourse steet legal. I was NOT using slicks. My point is that here I am w/not only the Eaton/Trilogy ROOTS type blower sitting on top of the engine in my Marauder, but in addition to that I also have 4.56 gears in the rear of that car, as well as a 3000 RPM stall speed. All the makings of potentially out of control tire spin upon the launch. However despite all of those factors, and all the claims in the past or the roots type blower having "TOO MUCH" Low-end torque, here I am having acheived the absolute best 60' time, and therefore the best launch of any Marauder owner on this board w/the exception of only one, and that only one happens to be using Nitrous oxide in addition to the Trilogy S/Cer on his Marauder, and ofcourse that would be Lidio.

So I hope this fact that my car has hooked up so well in two back to back 1/4 mile runs will lay to rest those notions, or atleast the claims that the roots type blower will produce "too much" torque to be utilized upon the launch, and that in itself should be a valid reason for choosing a centrifugal type S/Cer for your Marauder instead of a Trilogy ROOTS type Supercharger. Because that claim and/or notion is just plain false, and I've proven that it is w/my Marauder.
Lets not forget to mention the widened rims and Nitto drag radials. Without these we would not be able to achieve the low numbers we are getting. I notice a huge difference in my launch now, with hardly any tire spin. :burnout: :up:

tmac1337
06-17-2004, 09:29 AM
Billy, I think both the kits are great with pros and cons to each. I myself do not mind so much being a little faster or slower than the other as I have no intention of going to a track, thats just me. I just have always liked fast cars. I know that the 94 Lt-1 Camaro w/ performance exhaust and a couple of other goodies I traded in (boy was that stupid in retrospect) with 29K miles for my MM would kill any N/A MM and I frankly was disappointed initially hence my mods to date. Still looking for a faster car than what I had with 4 door luxury. I wish you lived near me so I could drive your car and experience it for myself. One of my problems is that noone near me is S/C. I'm hoping if some of the clubs have a big meet in a couple of mos. in GA I will have the opportunity to drive both and see what I like. I think custom tuning is important for each kit.

BillyGman
06-17-2004, 09:31 AM
sure, I DID mention the drag radials. perhaps I edited my post after you read it. But anyway, like I've also pointed out, that 60' time was NOT acheived using slicks, but tires that are legal for street use. Let any Marauder that centrifugal S/Cer equipped have these same tires, and I still don't believe that they will hook up any better than my car will, nor will they obtain a 60' time as good as mine.

duhtroll
06-17-2004, 09:37 AM
Less filling!

BillyGman
06-17-2004, 09:41 AM
tmac, I don't know if your camaro would've beat MY MM when it was N/A since I was turning consistent 13.5 ET's. However, that was in the cold weather. The car at that time was good for 13.8's and 13.7's in the warm air.

But whatever the case, a camaro that's modified should beat a N/A Marauder. It's a considerably lighter car, and has more cubes under the hood than a Marauder does. So if it can't beat a Marauder w/the same level of modifications, then it's a dog.

But let me point out that it seems that everybody wants to drive a S/Ced Marauder BEFORE they purchase a kit for themselves. What's up w/that? Don't you believe the timeslips that many of us Trilogy S/Ced guys have posted? If you do, then why do you need to drive one of our cars first? I'm done offering to let people who I've never even met before a chance to drive my Marauder. You know why? I didn't drive one before I purchased my Supercharger. Furthermore the last guy who had to drive my car, hasn't even made any move that I know of to purchase one for himself. So I must admit that I kinda wonder why he actually wanted to drive my car. I'm really wondering if it was simply because he just wanted the chance to beat on a S/Ced Marauder w/out having to fork out the cash like I have to buy a S/Cer himself. I can't say for sure, but I really wonder about that.

I cannot accuse you of that since I don't really know your motives. But as for me, no more freebies coming outta my car unless I've already offered it to somebody, or it's to someone I actually know. So what can I say?

BillyGman
06-17-2004, 09:52 AM
Less filling!
"TASTES GREAT!!".........

Agent M79
06-17-2004, 10:04 AM
But let me point out that everybody wants to drive a S/Ced Marauder BEFORE they purchase a kit for themselves. What's up w/that? Don't you believe the timeslips that many of us S/Ced guys have posted? if you do, then why do you need to drive one of our cars first? I'm done offering to let people who I've never even met before a chance to drive my marauder. You know why? I didn't drive one before I purchased my Supercharger. Furthermore the last guy who had to drive my car, hasn't even made any move that I know of to purchase one for himself. So what the frak did he want to drive my car for? I'll tel you why. because he just wanted the chance to beat on a S/ced Marauder w/out having to fork out the cash like I have to buy one himself!!!!

If people's sole objective was a fast ET, they would not have choosen a MM in the first place, eh? I would ask that you read my post HERE (http://www.mercurymarauder.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8262) as to why reasonable intelligent people not out to beat on your MM might seek a test drive.

BillyGman
06-17-2004, 10:26 AM
Please, I don't care to split hairs over this, eh? Weather you want to race at the track or not, if you're genuinely interested in S/Cing your vehicle regardless of what your vehicle is (Marauder or not) then you're into driving fast. Why else would you sincerely contemplate spending thousands of dollars to S/C your Marauder unless you have nothing better to do w/your money???? Let's be real.

But listen M79, I understand that you wanted to see how well mannered a S/ced marauder is, or IF it is at all, and that's fine. I'm glad that you see that they are because I'm sure that all of the S/ced marauders are weather they be of the Trilogy variety or the Reinhart or Kenny Brown variety.

But I wasn't very pleased when one of the guys who drove my Marauder told me that he had driven a Trilogy equipped Marauder before since he didn't reveal that until after he got behind the wheel of my car and he was hammering the gas pedal down. Let me point out that I told him that he could get on it a WOT but that was before he revealed to me that he had previously driven a Trilogy equipped Marauder.

Agent M79
06-17-2004, 11:01 AM
But listen M79, I understand that you wanted to see how well mannered a S/ced marauder is, or IF it is at all, and that's fine. I'm glad that you see that they are because I'm sure that all of the S/ced marauders are weather they be of the Trilogy variety or the Reinhart or Kenny Brown variety.

I can't imagine there would be serious differences in the characteristics I spoke of between any supercharged application for the MM. My reservation (prior to the test drive) came from prior experiences with cars with big power like that. They were brutal and unpleasant for everyday use. For beating around town, street racing, track racing they were purpose built. I was real happy that didn't happen with the MM with the power turned up.

but I wasn't very pleased when the guy who drove my marauder last told me that he had driven a Trilogy equipped Marauder before since he didn't reveal that until after he got behind the wheel of my car and he was hammering the gas pedal down. let me point out that I told him that he could get on it a WOT but that was when i was lead to believe that he had never driven a S/Ced Marauder before. NOT too cool. So he ruined it for all other people who might want to drive my car who I don't really know.:mad:

The more open you are, the more expressive you are, the more helpful you are will result in more frequent exposure to obtuse people. It was nice of you to let perfect strangers drive your MM. Pulling back a little and perhaps "pre-qualifying" people a little better might be a way to limit your exposure to such bone heads. Don't close the door completely... never know when I may be in the area and in need of a fast ride!

TAF
06-17-2004, 11:02 AM
I It was nice of you to let perfect strangers drive your MM. Pulling back a little and perhaps "pre-qualifying" people a little better might be a way to limit your exposure to such bone heads. Don't close the door completely... never know when I may be in the area and in need of a fast ride!
I don't let ANYBODY drive MY car...:down:

Agent M79
06-17-2004, 11:04 AM
I don't let ANYBODY drive MY car...:down:

You so crazy. If it weren't for your car my kid would have dehydrated into a pile of dust and blew away. He'd had enough of dyno runs and had to get to the pool!

Bluerauder
06-17-2004, 11:10 AM
Less filling!
Tastes Great ..... the debate continues. :up:

hitchhiker
06-17-2004, 11:13 AM
"TASTES GREAT!!".........

Samual Adams!

Always a good decision...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

merc406
06-17-2004, 11:38 AM
All this is well and good, :up: but the number one thing ya gotta love is the whinnnnnnnne of any S/C :D , even if you don't get to the D/Strip much. :rock:

CRUZTAKER
06-17-2004, 11:44 AM
...I still haven't gone blind.:cool:

Logan
06-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Amen Billy. As a guy who was in the stallion camp, got told the car works better without it, so I took it out and put the stocker back in only to discover they don't know what the hell they're talking about.

I can say absolutely yes, the car performs much better with the stallion in it than without.

Ross
06-17-2004, 12:54 PM
NO light beer tastes great, or has any taste at all for that matter. Shiner Bock!

prchrman
06-17-2004, 01:22 PM
4000 lb. car with tooooo much torque...????????????????????? ????????????
NEVER!!!!!!!!

BillyGman
06-17-2004, 01:31 PM
Amen Billy. As a guy who was in the stallion camp, got told the car works better without it, so I took it out and put the stocker back in only to discover they don't know what the hell they're talking about.

I can say absolutely yes, the car performs much better with the stallion in it than without. I remember Logan how you told me how my car would be fine w/the 3000 RPM stall speed, and I was concerned that such a high stall speed would take away from the performance offered by a roots type blower. But I'm glad to see that you were right to tell me that, because my car performed great at the track! Thanks for your advice and for putting up with the multiple question barrage that I hit you with about that. :up:

I cannot really say if it's actually the higher stall speed that I have the Stallion converter set at, or if it's simply that the Stallion converter would do better anyway regardless of the stall speed used because of the advertised better torque multiplication. I'm thinking that it's a combination of both, but perhaps I can't proclaim that as fact since I haven't actually tried the Stallion converter in my car set at a lower stall speed such as the stock one.But there's really no reason for me to mess around w/it I guess since my car is turning great ET's just the way it is. So why change anything. Right?

BillyGman
06-17-2004, 01:40 PM
NO light beer tastes great, or has any taste at all for that matter. Shiner Bock!
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________
No argument from me about that, cuz I don't even drink anymore anyway.:)

4000 lb. car with tooooo much torque...????????????????????? ????????????
NEVER!!!!!!!!Yep, that's the way I look at it too. Give me as much torque as possible. Even on the low-end. There's never "too much".....
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

MARAUDER S/C #5
06-17-2004, 02:02 PM
Weather you want to race at the track or not, if you're genuinely interested in S/Cing your vehicle regardless of what your vehicle is (Marauder or not) then you're into driving fast. I'm glad that you see that they are because I'm sure that all of the S/ced marauders are weather they be of the Trilogy variety or the Reinhart or Kenny Brown variety.Billy, you have taught so many of us so much I thought it was time to return the favor and teach you something. Not trying to be an ass just trying to help out here. Since I love reading all of your post I hate to see you make a mistake.

Weather--Atmospheric conditions; state of the atmosphere as to temperature, pressure, humidity, motion, etc.

Whether--Which of two or more alternatives:-used to introduce the first of a series of alternative clauses

:up: :P

BillyGman
06-17-2004, 02:16 PM
LOL......I stand corrected. But I like that. Thanks. As embarrassing as it is, I must admit that I don't know if I've ever even known that. I thought that both words were speeled the same. uh, I mean "spelled" the same. Thankyou for the correction. I've been misspelling that for a long time now (but perhaps you've noticed that.:rolleyes: ).......this kinda reminds me how someone else on another board that I used to Moderate had to point out to me the difference in the spelling of the words "waist" and "waste". :D oh well, I'm learning........

MARAUDER S/C #5
06-17-2004, 02:23 PM
:up:............:rock:

BillyGman
06-17-2004, 02:29 PM
That's what I get for paying more attention to the girls in English class than I did to the teacher when I was in grammar school. Math was always my favorite subject in school, and the one that I excelled at. Especially when it came to geometry. Math was the one subject that I used to make most of the female students look bad. That was such a trip for me since I was used to them making me look bad in almost every other subject of study.

Ofcourse none of this has anything to do w/Superchargers, but there ya go...

martyo
06-17-2004, 04:01 PM
Billy, you have taught so many of us so much I thought it was time to return the favor and teach you something. Not trying to be an ass just trying to help out here. Since I love reading all of your post I hate to see you make a mistake.

Weather--Atmospheric conditions; state of the atmosphere as to temperature, pressure, humidity, motion, etc.

Whether--Which of two or more alternatives:-used to introduce the first of a series of alternative clauses

:up: :P

Rick: Pick you battles. Billy is heavily armed. You have been warned.

BillyGman
06-17-2004, 06:01 PM
Rick: Pick you battles. Billy is heavily armed. You have been warned.Really Marty, U gotta stop tellin people my secrets. How can I remain stealth?;)

Zack
06-17-2004, 06:11 PM
You already got your discount Billy.
The blower is installed Billy.
Let it go Billy.

BillyGman
06-17-2004, 06:15 PM
You already got your discount Billy.
The blower is installed Billy.
Let it go Billy.What discount? Maybe if you knew what you were talking about, you might make some sense Zack. If you're going to accuse me of something Zack then you outta take the time to find out what it is that you're talking about, because you're accusation is totally false.

Zack
06-17-2004, 06:20 PM
Still taking me too seriously Billy.

BillyGman
06-17-2004, 06:23 PM
Still taking me too seriously Billy.
LOL.....U gotta be kidding me!!!! man o Man you had me goin there Zack....hey man, I apologize......dude, I guess you know how to push my buttons alright......I owe you one.....

woaface
06-17-2004, 06:26 PM
Billy, dude...man...don't steal my lingo brah...:nono:

BillyGman
06-17-2004, 06:28 PM
Billy, dude...man...don't steal my lingo brah...:nono:
uh, sorry there homebase......I thought i was up to date w/the royalty payments for that......

woaface
06-17-2004, 06:31 PM
uh, sorry there homebase......I thought i was up to date w/the royalty payments for that......
Only if you're going to Indy and I can watch a burnout live:cool:

Zack
06-17-2004, 06:31 PM
Everyone is gettin hugs in Indy this year.....
After I model toddler clothing at Cracker Barrel.
Can anyone dig up that picture?

BillyGman
06-17-2004, 06:34 PM
I guess I missed something.....

tmac1337
06-17-2004, 09:24 PM
Don't you believe the timeslips that many of us Trilogy S/Ced guys have posted? If you do, then why do you need to drive one of our cars first? I'm done offering to let people who I've never even met before a chance to drive my Marauder. You know why? I didn't drive one before I purchased my Supercharger. Furthermore the last guy who had to drive my car, hasn't even made any move that I know of to purchase one for himself.

Billy, and I suppose you did not test drive your car before you bought it either. I if you did I suppose you did not put the pedal down all all to see what it could do. You trumpet the Trilogy kit up and down expressing how proud you are to own one, defend it to the last, place it on a high plateau, then get mad when people want to test drive it because you have one of the few around to touch. I don't get it!

BillyGman
06-17-2004, 09:45 PM
tmac, that isn't a bad question you've posed, but you have to understand where I'm coming from on this. I've heard people from this board tell me over the telephone how they drove the Trilogy company car while they were down in Texas last year for the big annual Marauder get together, and how people were taking turns gettint to drive that car simply beating the snot out of it.

Many of these people to this day despite having said how impressed they were w/that car have not even purchased any S/Cer for their Marauder, and I can tell by what a number of them say that they have absolutely no intention of spending the money to have a S/Ced Marauder. So for many of those people who drove the Trilogy #1 car, it was simply a joy ride to entertain them or to satisfy their curiousity of how it would be to be inside a Trilogy S/Ced Marauder when the pedal is on the floor.

Now for Jerry Barnes, I'm sure that's quite alright since he goes from place to place to promote his product just like any business man would do. And ofcourse Jerry wants people to realize what a great product he has. But as for me, or most any other Marauder owner, I don't work for Trilogy Motorsports nor for any vendor on this site nor any other site. And although I'm ecstatic about Trilogy's product, I have no financial ties to them whatsoever. I'm simply a very satisfied customer, and a hi-perf car enthusiast.

So when somebody wants to drive my car simply to see what it can do, then I think that they should be pretty close to being ready to make a purchase. Otherwise, don't drop hints or comments about your desire to drive my car. Because if you do, and I tell you that you can hammer the pedal down, and you take advantage of that oppurtunity by doing so, and then you don't even make an effort to S/C your own Marauder despite telling me how impressed you were w/my car, then you simply wanted to use my car like a rental car just to have fun w/out having any real intentions of purchasing a S/Cer of any kind like you've lead on to have had.

And test driving my car when it was new is a completely different situation. I was contemplating dropping 30K on a vehicle, and the car was owned by a business that makes a living selling cars. I'm not here to sell cars, nor S/Cers for that matter. I'm just another board member here, and always have been. So if anyone comes across to me as if though they're so interested in a S/Cer purchase of any kind, simply to get a possible chance to drive my car, when infact they have no intention of S/Cing their Marauder in the next year or so, then that's simply downright deceitfull, and I don't like being manipulated like that.

I didn't need to drive a Trilogy car before I purchased it, because I've been in fast cars before, and have driven them as well just as I'm sure most people here have too. Furthermore, most of us here already own a Marauder, and so we already know how they ride. I saw the timeslips posted here on the board of some of the Trilogy cars and have talked to several of the Trilogy customers over the telephone. So I knew simply from that how good my car would move when I was ready to drop some coin on the Trilogy kit. So I didn't need to drive someone else's car, because I did all of my homework and therefore I was well informed about what to expect.

I knew well before I went to the track w/my car and even before I made a purchase of a S/cer that my car would get into the 12 second bracket at the track. I just wasn't sure where in the 12's. And that was good enough for me since I was VERY serious about buying a S/cer myself. I didn't need a year to think about it, nor the experience of driving 2 or 3 other Marauders that are S/Ced because I knew what I wanted.

duhtroll
06-17-2004, 09:53 PM
Billy -

It's certainly your choice to refuse test drives. That said, I want to point out a couple things.

1) If people were sure they were going to S/C their car, no test drive would be necessary. I would think it more of a waste to drive someone else's when you know you'll have your own soon anyway.

2) A test drive is just that. I am willing to bet most of the people that inquire and go thru with it are balancing cost and risk versus the thrill of owning a S/C car. I really doubt most of them just want to "beat on someone else's car." Their attitude would make that pretty obvious if they were that irresponsible.

I for one don't need to drive one to do that (balance cost and risk). Some however, do. Then they may decide "yeah, it was great, but I don't think I need one." That's what a test drive is all about. Some finish the test and can't resist. Others realize they don't have to have one and pass.

I don't think it is fair at all to blame people for trying it and not buying. It is their choice - just like it is your choice of whether or not to let them drive your car. Getting angry at how other people spend their own money is a bit illogical to me, and a waste of your energy IMO.

Thanks,
-A

BillyGman
06-17-2004, 10:04 PM
to each their own. When you have a S/ced marauder, then you can have people lining up to drive it. Most of whom will never reach in their pocket to spend the $$ despite having the funds available. If you get a guy who comes across to you like he's almost decided already, and wants a ride, who you don't even know, and then tells you only after he's already behind the wheel of your car that he's already driven a Trilogy equipped car, then come back and tell me how I should feel about it and what I should expect.

Ya know what I say? if it takes you that much conning and effort to "decide" on wether or not to S/C your car, then guess what. It probably isn't gonna happen, and therefore you should get a grip on reality instead of bothering others who have been decisive about the matter in an effort to drive their car. let me repeat something, I'm not a business. I'm just a customer, and my Marauder is my ONLY car, and is my daily driver.

Let me point out here that this is NOT neccessarily the opinion nor the position of Trilogy Motorsports nor any vendor on this board. These are my opinions and that's all. I'm not any spokesman for Trilogy Motorsports nor for any business represented here. I'm merely a customer of theirs.

duhtroll
06-17-2004, 10:37 PM
Um, that was kinda my point.

I haven't driven a S/C car. I haven't asked anyone to drive a S/C car. I don't need to. I can make my decision without doing so. If someone offers the chance, I will take it.

I am sure there are several people out there that are grateful for your giving them the opportunity to drive your car. There is another reason to do this, and that is to learn about options for increasing performance (let's face it, the best way to learn is to feel firsthand). This board is about education and fun. You have been very outspoken in promoting your car and the Trilogy setup on this board. People are naturally going to be curious as a result.

Some people are curious enough to ask for a drive. Some of them will buy S/Cers. Some won't. It is unrealistic to expect everyone who tries something to buy it. It is also unrealistic to assume everyone has the funds available. You cannot possibly know that about everyone who asks.

You are faulting people for making a choice (to buy or not) that is well within their rights to make, and it sounds like you are unhappy with choices that you have made (to let others drive your car).

The bottom line is that is it your decision as the owner as to who drives it and who doesn't. It sounds to me like you are no longer comfortable with letting strangers drive it. There is a solution for that.

And I already know, should I ever buy a S/Cer (and I am still out on that one), I will not be one that lets others drive it unless I know them well enough to trust them. Heck, I do that now with my N/A MM.

I'll say it again, and you just reinforced my point above -- if people were sure of buying a S/Cer, they wouldn't need a test drive. They'd have their own.

Thanks,
-A

BillyGman
06-17-2004, 10:55 PM
Some of the people who've driven my car were cool, and upfront about why they wanted to drive it. That's fine. But one guy wasn't, and that's what I didn't like. besides that, how many S/ced cars do you need to drive before making a decision to buy one? Either do it, or forget about it.

I can tell you this, I am NOT a person who has a lot of cash to throw around. But it took me about one month of research, phone calls, and cotemplating to decide on a S/Cer. I knew that it was within my reach financially at that particular time, and so I began to investigate the possibilities. And I came to a decision on it. But when you deal w/someone who has three or four nice cars, a nice house, and makes a decent living like you do, and here you are letting him drive the only car to your name, and he's just out for a joy ride despite previously leading you to believe that he's very serious about a S/Cer purchase, then it isn't a good feeling.

But I'm a hi performance car enthusuiast and that's why it didn't take me that long to decide on a S/Cer. At one time I was dead set against it, and that's mainly because I didn't know a lot about S/Cing at all at the time. But since I couldn't do it financially anyway, I didn't even bother investigating it, nor grilling people w/questions about it. What would be the point in that?

And what would be the point in having to drive more than one S/Ced Marauder that wasn't owned by you if both of them had the same S/Cer? I just think that to do such a thing you would be jerkin people around, and that isn't fair. If you don't agree, then maybe it's because you haven't spent the money on your car that I have, and maybe it's because of another reason. I don't know, but that's my opinion, and yours is yours.

duhtroll
06-17-2004, 11:07 PM
That's just it. I *DO* agree with you on that point.

I never said it was right for someone to joyride in a S/C car when they had already driven one. Where I disagree is where I said it was your choice to decide to let them. Even if you didn't know their intentions, it's not like they wrestled the keys from you. (I dunno, maybe this guy did)

For the record, I also don't think it's important who spent more money on their car, unless of course I'm in the lane across from them. ;) My car is every bit as valuable to me as anyone else's - even the GT owners. People make the decisions on their rides, and I'll make mine. If someone screws up my car because I let them, then I have only myself to blame.

Thanks,
-A

BillyGman
06-17-2004, 11:13 PM
It isn't that I was worried about the guy messing my car up. I drive it pretty hard myself. It was the fact that he chose to withhold the information about how he already drove a Trilogy equipped car until I let him behind the wheel that bothered me.

Sure it was my choice, but it was his choice to lead me on about his intentions or about the urgency of the matter. It was at his request that I meet w/him in the first place.

BillyGman
06-17-2004, 11:34 PM
Anywho, since this thread has drifted a bit from the original topic just as most long threads do, below are two of the timeslips from the track last Saturday for those of you who might not be familair enough w/this site yet to have found them in the timeslip data list. Note my 60' times which clearly indicate how well my car hooks up in a 1/4 mile race despite having a roots type blower, 4.56 gears, and a 3000 RPM stall speed.....it's because of these mods that I've obtained a good 60' time, but my point is that such a time proves that I'm not having a big problem putting the low-end torque of this Eaton/Trilogy blower to the ground....

Ross
06-18-2004, 07:01 AM
Awesome time slips, Billy! I wish I could have seent hose burn outs in person. BTW, as far as the spelling goes, we still luv yu. :lol:

BillyGman
06-18-2004, 11:04 AM
yeah, I'm glad that my Marauder does better in a 1/4 mile contest than I would do in a spelling contest. :D

MikesMerc
06-18-2004, 05:11 PM
I can't imagine there would be serious differences in the characteristics I spoke of between any supercharged application for the MM.

This is a very bad assumption indeed.

If you were to drive any given car (MM included) with a roots blower, and a centrifugal blower, you would immediately recognize the difference. Yes, it is that different.

I'm not saying which type of blower is better. But there is definitely a better choice of blower depending on application. Period.

MARAUDER S/C #5
06-18-2004, 09:17 PM
I'm not saying which type of blower is better. But there is definitely a better choice of blower depending on application. Period.TRIL.....O............. G.........................:ban ana:

MARAUDER S/C #5
06-18-2004, 09:19 PM
TRIL.....O.............G...... ...................:banana:Jus t My Opinion:rasta:

Agent M79
06-18-2004, 10:33 PM
This is a very bad assumption indeed.

If you were to drive any given car (MM included) with a roots blower, and a centrifugal blower, you would immediately recognize the difference. Yes, it is that different.

Really?

I drove a Reinhart machine (centrifugal?). It acted and responded like an MM but just ... more. A lot more. But it wasn't harsh or touchy and I didn't feel like no matter how I drove it that I was on the edge of losing control.

I have driven cars that, after extensive modification, were unruly and ill tempered machines even in the hands of the people who drove them all the time.

The types of characteristics I spoke of mainly revolved around the more civil characteristics of the MM being turned harsh or abrupt. I am guessing you mean the power comes on differently and gives a different sensation, not that the centrifugal is as I describe and the roots turns the MM into beastly ill-mannered contraption.

MARAUDER S/C #5
06-18-2004, 10:36 PM
:rolleyes:
Really?

I drove a Reinhart machine (centrifugal?). It acted and responded like an MM but just ... more. A lot more. But it wasn't harsh or touchy and I didn't feel like no matter how I drove it that I was on the edge of losing control.

I have driven cars that, after extensive modification, were unruly and ill tempered machines even in the hands of the people who drove them all the time.

The types of characteristics I spoke of mainly revolved around the more civil characteristics of the MM being turned harsh or abrupt. I am guessing you mean the power comes on differently and gives a different sensation, not that the centrifugal is as I describe and the roots turns the MM into beastly ill-mannered contraption.

Agent M79
06-18-2004, 11:13 PM

Uh oh... I got the eyeroll.

I've never gotten an eyerolling before.

Is this like a friendly, "yer a putz" eyeroll or like a "if we ever meet I'm gonna bury a knife in yer belly" eyeroll?

BillyGman
06-19-2004, 12:37 AM
I think what Mike means is that the powerband, or RPM range where you'll feel the most power come on is different w/the two types of blowers. Both of them will still allow your Marauder to be plenty nice and well behaved on the street.

the best way that I can describe it is if you've ever driven a Big Block engine hot rod, then that's what a Trilogy equipped car is like as far as the way the power comes on. it's still well behaved, but it's an abundance of low-end torque as well as a solid mid-range acceleration. Neither type of S/Cer is going to make your marauder pin you back in the seat like a car that runs mid 11's in the quartermile will, and it isn't gonna lift the front wheels off the ground, but a Trilogy kit WILL make it move like there's a big block engine under that hood. it will have a wider RPM range of power.

And IMO that's what's best for the street. That's the reason why I've made the choice that I have. I know that centrifugal S/Cer make a lot of boost and therefore a lot of HP up high in the RPM scale since they keep on making more and more power the faster they turn. I've never driven a car w/one of them installed, so all I can do is compare the Dyno charts that I've seen of Marauders and other cars w/each type of S/Cer installed, and it look to me like having a centrifugal S/Cer on a small V8 engine like the Marauder has makes the RPM powerband like a super fast Japanese car, as compared to the roots type blower making the car respond like a big block V8 muscle car. And I know the latter is true from driving my own Marauder.

Agent M79
06-19-2004, 12:44 AM
I think what Mike means is that the powerband, or RPM range where you'll feel the most power come on is different w/the two types of blowers. Both of them will still allow your Marauder to be plenty nice and well behaved on the street.

the best way that I can describe it is if you've ever driven a Big Block engine hot rod, then that's what a Trilogy equipped car is like as far as the way the power comes on. it's still well behaved, but it's an abundance of low-end torque as well as a solid mid-range acceleration. Neither type of S/Cer is going to make your marauder pin you back in the seat like a car that runs mid 11's in the quartermile will, and it isn't gonna lift the front wheels off the ground, but a Trilogy kit WILL make it move like there's a big block engine under that hood. it will have a wider RPM range of power.

And IMO that's what's best for the street. That's the reason why I've made the choice that I have.

I get the picture now. Good explanation. Thanks.

MARAUDER S/C #5
06-19-2004, 06:27 AM
Uh oh... I got the eyeroll.

I've never gotten an eyerolling before.

Is this like a friendly, "yer a putz" eyeroll or like a "if we ever meet I'm gonna bury a knife in yer belly" eyeroll?
Just a friendly eyeroll :P :lol: :cool4: :D

Agent M79
06-19-2004, 06:58 AM
Just a friendly eyeroll :P :lol: :cool4: :D

Whew. I was ready to go into "I am allergic to metal between my ribs" speech. Thanks for saving me that.

I get it now though, it just takes me a couple of passes sometimes.

MikesMerc
06-19-2004, 07:12 AM
I am guessing you mean the power comes on differently and gives a different sensation, not that the centrifugal is as I describe and the roots turns the MM into beastly ill-mannered contraption.

Yes....well said. Billy described it well. The roots blowers give you the tree stump pulling torque feeling in the low and mid range. The centrifugals start out less powerful down load, but as the boost comes on heavy in the 4000+ RPM range, the car pulls very hard and the power increases and an increasing rate.

MM03MOK
06-20-2004, 02:52 PM
Everyone is gettin hugs in Indy this year.....
After I model toddler clothing at Cracker Barrel.
Can anyone dig up that picture?
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/watermark.php?file=511/253dsc00487.jpg

Dan
06-20-2004, 06:19 PM
Billy

In a couple of posts you refer to "the last guy who drove my Marauder." Was that me you were referring to?

If so, allow me to explain that I have not driven out to Dearborn to have my S/C installed yet since I am awaiting a real estate deal to happen prior to my being able to afford it.

As far as the reason I drove it, it was because I wanted to hear the Kooks headers. It had nothing to do with the supercharger althought I appreciate your letting me drive it. I am pretty sure that a review of my posts and comments around that time will confirm what I am saying to be valid.

Please also note that when I first came on this board I chronicled my trip from IL to home, including a trip to Trilogy where I clearly described my pleasure in driving the T S/C.

I truly did appreciate the chance I got to drive your car and I appreciate your allowing that. But again, the purpose of driving it was to check out the headers, not the SC. Yes, I did play with the car for as long as you would let me but what non S/Cd Marauder owner wouldn't if they had the chance?

I hope that you don't feel that you were taken advantage of in some way. That was not my intention at all. If that is how you feel, I am sorry. I in no way intended to deceive you.

I am still hoping that you are referring to someone else. It it is me then we are at the disadvantage of a misunderstanding. It would be a shame for 2 CT Marauder owners to be in a rift. Let me take you to lunch to make up for it? Heck, I appreciated your generosity so much I'll take you to lunch anyway just to say thanks. :)

Best,

Dan

Jerry Barnes
06-20-2004, 08:14 PM
Hey Folks,

I will let anyone drive either of our cars anytime they want and if you want, put the Hammer Down!!!! Over and over and over......

Trilogy Open House is next Saturday, I hope to see a lot of you there, hot dogs, hamburgers and burnouts! Sounds like a good day to me!!!!

Ford Test Track in Dearborn on Thursday!

Plant Tour on Friday!

This is like Disney World for Marauder kids!!!

Have a great Father's Day!!!!

Jerry

BillyGman
06-20-2004, 08:35 PM
Yes, Jerry, that's what I thought, and that's really great. I didn't want anyone to think that my statements about people driving my car had anything to do w/your cars.

Dan, I didn't say that it was you. You weren't the only one to drive my car. But if anything that I've previously said applies to you, then I'm sure I'll figure that out in time. Otherwise, don't sweat it Dude. And let me know when/if you get S/Ced!!!!

Dan
06-21-2004, 04:46 AM
Yes, Jerry, that's what I thought, and that's really great. I didn't want anyone to think that my statements about people driving my car had anything to do w/your cars.

Dan, I didn't say that it was you. You weren't the only one to drive my car. But if anything that I've previously said applies to you, then I'm sure I'll figure that out in time. Otherwise, don't sweat it Dude. And let me know when/if you get S/Ced!!!!

Ok, Bill. Thanks. I just wasn't sure. I wouldn't want you to think that I took advantage of you. I am glad that we are straight and I am confident that you have nothing to figure out. :)

Best,

Dan