PDA

View Full Version : Tire Striping?

BruteForce
06-20-2004, 10:20 AM
While I was at the local Les Schwab getting my front tires rebalanced (BAER installer had to remove the balance weights to fit the brake assembly within the rim - tight tolerances there), the tech offered to "stripe" my tires. First thing that went through my head was "pin stripes? Not on my MM you don't!". :nono:

Turns out it is a tire tweak where they razor cut across the tire tread to increase grip, especially on wet pavement. It sounded interesting and they even had a little mock up where you drag a couple weighted treads (1 striped and the other normal) across a wet surface. I didn't want to jump on it as I wasn't sure if there were any long term or immediate ill effects of such a tweak. Tech said the reason he offered it was he was surprised by the torque of my big black cat when it drove it into the bay and guessed that it might be a little squirrelly in the rain. :burnout:

Anyone heard of this? Is it a viable option? Any down-side?

cyclone03
06-20-2004, 10:35 AM
Ok it doesn't rain a lot down here in TX,but, adding more grooves to the stock tires will do nothing for maintaining grip because of your great torque.
I'm not one jump on how well stock parts are designed but I bet BFGoodrich know way more about tire performance than anybody with a tire groover.

I'm sure you would be better served just to soften up and the throotle in the rain.Plus that cost nothing.

Oh one more thing,I think the term is SYPING

Krytin
06-20-2004, 10:53 AM
Not sure about the spelling (not my strong point) put yes, the razor cuts are syping (or siping?)
Oh, by the way, it does work well w/no down side that I ever heard of.

BruteForce
06-20-2004, 11:54 AM
Oh one more thing,I think the term is SYPING

Thanks for the correction on the term for this tweak. My hearing is kinda selective at times.

01 Interceptor
06-20-2004, 12:59 PM
They also claim that the tires will last longer due to the fact that air can now cool the tires better with the sipes. I don't see how this is a bad thing, I also plan on getting it done on my new tires to see the difference.

RCSignals
06-20-2004, 01:07 PM
sounds like snake oil to me.

Tire outfits have been doing weird stuff like this to tires for yeats. grooving, re-grooving, razor cutting, shaving to make tires more "round" and on and on.

I don't think there is any proof any of it really does anything, and all some of it does is lessen the life of the tire.

looking97233
06-20-2004, 02:31 PM
I talked to a BFG rep on the phone while I was at the tire store getting my new tires a coupple' months ago. The guy at the tire store was telling me how good the siping was, it would make the tires last longer and perform better while increasing gas milage. I called BFG on the spot to confirm my suspicions. The BFG tech said no, siping will not do anything except cost money, first to have it done, then to replace your tires sooner than you would have. As I figured, if this siping was sooo good, wouldn't you thing that the tire compinies that have spent millions devolping the tires would make them that way?

As a side note, I have a set of Bridgestone blazziaks for my bronco. They are winter tires only, book says not use them above 60 deg. they are siped, they are made that way, to give better traction on ice by having all the little right angles to grap with.

BillyGman
06-20-2004, 02:41 PM
I'd lean towards avoiding this if i were you. Like RC said, it just doesn't sound right to me. Don't take this the wrong way, but I think the whole bit about the guy telling you that your car has a lot of torque was just his way of complimenting you to gain your confidence, so you would spend some more $$ there for this service. I mean, how many V8 engine car wouldn't get "squerrely" in the rain if you pegged the gas pedal down regardless of what tires they have? So I think you did the right thing by passing on that deal.;)