PDA

View Full Version : Kooks Question...

FiveO
06-21-2004, 10:51 AM
Hey Gang,

Getting around to ordering the Kooks setup, couple questions:

1. What mufflers are included in the header back system? Is it the Magaflows?

2. Is there just one size for this setup? Pipe diameter wise?

3. I'm planning on putting a s/c on my MM....anything I need to worry about after putting this setup on before the s/c?

4. Sounds like the ceramic coating is worth it...but is it worth it to have Kooks do it for $250 or have it done around here somewhere?

Appreciate any information. I just want to do it right, especially if I'm spending this much $$ on a setup.

SouLRioT
06-21-2004, 10:58 AM
Hey Gang,

Getting around to ordering the Kooks setup, couple questions:

1. What mufflers are included in the header back system? Is it the Magaflows?
yes

2. Is there just one size for this setup? Pipe diameter wise?
Two types one for s/c one for n/a

3. I'm planning on putting a s/c on my MM....anything I need to worry about after putting this setup on before the s/c?
not to my knowalge, maybe someone has better info

4. Sounds like the ceramic coating is worth it...but is it worth it to have Kooks do it for $250 or have it done around here somewhere?
If I were going to get it get it from them I would have them coat it too.

FiveO
06-21-2004, 11:08 AM
So will I have problems adding the S/C Kooks set up on a N/A car and running it like that for a few months?

Would it be worth it to just wait and get them all done around the same time?

Logan
06-21-2004, 11:31 AM
Yes, you're absolutely fine. The only difference is the S/C Kook's setup the primaries are larger, that's never a bad thing...

I have the Kook's on my Trilogy car, works awesome.

FiveO
06-21-2004, 11:40 AM
Yes, you're absolutely fine. The only difference is the S/C Kook's setup the primaries are larger, that's never a bad thing...

I have the Kook's on my Trilogy car, works awesome.

Thanks! Ordering it today.

Sounds like the s/c setup will work out for a few months before the s/c.

FiveO
06-21-2004, 11:51 AM
Well I called them to confirm the different sizes and the guy on the phone said there was only 1 size.

He also said the headers were stainless steel and that ceramic coating was a waste of time.

Thoughts?

SouLRioT
06-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Headers
Retail Price: $687.90
Member Pricing: $580.90 in either (1 5/8" x 2.5" OR 1 3/4" x 3")

This is from this thread (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5054)

I have read many times that the ceramic coating was a good thing.

Logan
06-21-2004, 12:17 PM
I REALLY wish they'd stop telling people that.

#1, Talk to Nick. He's the one who confirmed the sizes available.

Second, The stainless headers without coating look like crap after a week, completely patina'd and brown'd over from the heat. My ceramic coated headers look as gorgeous today as they did the day I put them on.

Personally, I don't call good looks and heat containment a waste of time...

They have to sub-out the ceramic coat which I suspect has alot to do with them suggesting it's a waste of time. Theirs.

In short, get them coated.

Well I called them to confirm the different sizes and the guy on the phone said there was only 1 size.

He also said the headers were stainless steel and that ceramic coating was a waste of time.

Thoughts?

FiveO
06-21-2004, 12:22 PM

Second, The stainless headers without coating look like crap after a week, completely patina'd and brown'd over from the heat. My ceramic coated headers look as gorgeous today as they did the day I put them on.

Personally, I don't call good looks and heat containment a waste of time...

They have to sub-out the ceramic coat which I suspect has alot to do with them suggesting it's a waste of time. Theirs.

In short, get them coated.

Thanks again.

Thats what I was thinking, just wanted to confirm it.

Mark.

FiveO
06-21-2004, 01:16 PM
Order placed.

Full system with ceramic coating.

I left a message and got a call back from someone...they again tried to talk me out of the ceramic coating but said it would be done if I ordered it.

Thanks for all the help Logan and SoulRiot.

Just gotta print out pages and pages of install instructions now :)

TAF
06-21-2004, 01:19 PM

Second, The stainless headers without coating look like crap after a week, completely patina'd and brown'd over from the heat. My ceramic coated headers look as gorgeous today as they did the day I put them on.When I spoke with nick nearly 2 months ago for the larger sized headers...he said then that they would not make the 1 3/4" anymore...only one size for the Marauder. He also said not to coat them...

So I tried to do biz with them...but went in another direction on both for the project car.

BillyGman
06-21-2004, 03:25 PM
I fully and completely agree w/Logan on this. Get the headers ceramic coated no matter what they tel you even if you have to send them out somewhere yourself after they're delivered. Otherwise they WILL get discolored from the heat weather they're stainless steel ot not. Like Logan, I have the Kooks headers too, and mine are ceramic coated and also look as good now as the day I put them on despite going through 4 major snow storms and being driven daily all through the winter.

As far as the header primary diameter, don't concern yourself. I have the 1 5/8" primary tube diameter headers, and they were great before the car was S/Ced, and they're still great now that it is S/Ced. Just look at my 1/4 mile times. The mufflers are the 18" Magnaflow straight-thru design ones, and they sound great. You will NOT be dissappointed!!!!

Logan
06-21-2004, 03:31 PM
Marking... calender...

Day...Billy....agreed...comple tely...with...me...

There. All done. :lol:

martyo
06-21-2004, 03:33 PM
Marking... calender...

There. All done. :lol:

Wow, that's twice in one day that I laughed. Scarey.

BillyGman
06-21-2004, 04:42 PM
Marking... calender...

.....yes, miracles DO happen. :D

FiveO
06-21-2004, 07:14 PM
:lol:

Funny stuff gents.

If they get ahold of me and tell me they can't coat them I'll send 'em out here to get done.

Thanks!

CRUZTAKER
06-21-2004, 07:38 PM
I personally am glad you chose one of the best exhaust setups for your new MM. I say it that way to be fair, IMHO, they are the best for performance results.

I am at the other end of the spectrum as far as ceramaic coating. I didn't do it!
And it had nothing to do with both Nick and George advising me not to, nor the saving of nearly $250....I actually LIKE golden brass look of the headers after they are broken in. Folks have seen mine, and I have not recieved a bad comment. And as far as the need to ceramic coat for heat protection....:bs: The heat is not an issue.

Congrats....you gonna smile lots!!!:D

Patrick
07-16-2004, 01:06 PM
I fully and completely agree w/Logan on this. Get the headers ceramic coated no matter what they tel you even if you have to send them out somewhere yourself after they're delivered. Otherwise they WILL get discolored from the heat weather they're stainless steel ot not. Like Logan, I have the Kooks headers too, and mine are ceramic coated and also look as good now as the day I put them on despite going through 4 major snow storms and being driven daily all through the winter.

As far as the header primary diameter, don't concern yourself. I have the 1 5/8" primary tube diameter headers, and they were great before the car was S/Ced, and they're still great now that it is S/Ced. Just look at my 1/4 mile times. The mufflers are the 18" Magnaflow straight-thru design ones, and they sound great. You will NOT be dissappointed!!!!

Hey Billy do you have pics??

Logan
07-16-2004, 03:11 PM
I actually LIKE golden brass look of the headers after they are broken in. Folks have seen mine, and I have not recieved a bad comment. Well, of course not. It takes a rare individual and preferably big individual to tell a guy his headers look ****ty. ;) The uncoated Kook's work as advertised, I just don't care for the look much. Some do, I don't.

It ain't a matter of looking bad, it's just a matter of personal preferences. For me, bling is important.

BillyGman
07-17-2004, 03:37 AM
Hey Billy do you have pics??Sorry Patrick. No pics. Too bad I didn't see your post until today, because I just was underneath the car a few days ago changing the oil, and if I knew you wanted pics of the headers, I would've brought a camera w/me to my brother's house which is where I do all of the work to my car (unfortunately I live in a condo. :down: ).

And any pics of the the engine compartment from up top wouldn't give you a good look of the headers.

TooManyFords
07-17-2004, 05:36 AM
Hey Billy do you have pics??

Full pics of the install -->here<-- (http://john.frieltek.com/toomanyfords/marauder) .

Cheers!

John

cyclone03
07-17-2004, 08:00 AM
Full pics of the install -->here<-- (http://john.frieltek.com/toomanyfords/marauder) .

Cheers!

John

WOW John!
Very nicely done install tutorial.
Thanks for adding the "disconnect the battery ground" warning.

You link should be in the FAQ for header installs.

TooManyFords
07-17-2004, 11:18 AM
;) Thanks!

John

Patrick
07-17-2004, 03:36 PM
Sorry Patrick. No pics. Too bad I didn't see your post until today, because I just was underneath the car a few days ago changing the oil, and if I knew you wanted pics of the headers, I would've brought a camera w/me to my brother's house which is where I do all of the work to my car (unfortunately I live in a condo. :down: ).

And any pics of the the engine compartment from up top wouldn't give you a good look of the headers.

No prob Billy. Thanks for your help!

Patrick
07-17-2004, 03:38 PM

Cheers!

John

Thanks John. This is all coming together. For the Mechanically challanged!