PDA

View Full Version : To coat or not to coat

nick filippides
06-28-2004, 09:37 AM
Hey Guys, Just want to clear up the coating issues that I see is a very hot (no pun intended) topic lately. Kook's switched to 16 gauge stainless late last year purely to eliminate the need for ceramic coating and to add years of life to these headers. Fact is, I believe these headers will probably last the lifetime of the car without ever being coated. Stainless headers also produce more hp. Ceramic coating on 304 stainless isn't recommended unless it's the matte black Jet-Hot 2000 process. This is the only coating process we've seen that can stand up to the numerous heat cycles a typical street or street/strip car sees during normal use. This double process can withstand over 2000 degree temps is the only one we use on extremely high hp turbo or road race applications. Kook's has been ceramic coating headers since the process originated 20 plus years ago. Our experience showed us that standard hi lustre ceramic coating always prematurely burns off internally and/or flakes off externally even when applied by some of the most reputable companies. Off course we can do whatever the customer wants. We aim to please but we'll always recommend what we feel is most cost effective or shall we say performance effective way to run our headers. Hope this clears a few things up. Thanks Nick "Kook's Headers"

2003 MIB
06-28-2004, 10:49 AM
Hi Nick,
I didn't weigh in on this topic but read the thread with a lot of interest. I'm certainly VERY happy with the system you sold me and I'm glad to know why they aren't coated. Thanks for posting! :)

FiveO
06-28-2004, 11:23 AM
Thanks Nick.

I was really looking forward to that high chrome look...but it sounds like it may be a waste.

Appreciate the information.

Can't wait to get 'em installed!

BillyGman
06-28-2004, 11:41 AM
Hmmmm, that's contrary to what I've heard, but I don't have the experience in exhaust installations that you do Nick. Therefore I cannot argue w/you on this. My headers still look pretty good, but then again, I've put about 7 or 8K on the car since the installation. So even though that's pretty good, I guess that can't really be considered long term. Especially in light of what you've said. Thanks for your explanation on that.

Logan
06-28-2004, 02:23 PM
I fully understand the reasons, but for me personally, having the tarnished look that the stainless headers present just isn't my style. I need more bling than that.

So I guess I'll say this, I understand WHY it's done and why someone might not get a hi-lustre ceramic coat done, but for me, the only way is shiny baby!

CRUZTAKER
06-28-2004, 02:58 PM
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!

I am so tired of every time I pass on the very same info (above) to newbies, I only get stomped on like I don't know what the f I learned from the f'n manufacturer!!!!!

There you go, it's bling, it's always been bling, and it's definately a taste choice.
I already conceded that the silver bling coat looks friggin awesome, but the SS left alone to 'blonde' is quite fine as well!

Logan
06-28-2004, 03:18 PM
Now now Cruz, don't get too excited. I still don't believe a word that comes outta your mouth... :lol:

BillyGman
06-28-2004, 03:30 PM
I dunno Barry. You can call it "blonde" or "bronze" to make it sound desireable, but I call it "burnt" or just plain "brown". Ofcourse I haven't seen your headers, so that isn't neccessarily a dig against your car in any way, but I've seen plenty of other exhaust header pipes. And the burnt look was what I've seen.

I guess Nick's point was that the ceramic coat wouldn't last,and would peel and flake off eventually unless you have the JetHot 2000 coating that only comes in black. and I cannot argue w/that since this is the first headers I've ever had w/ceramic coating. So Nick's point is well taken.

Logan
06-28-2004, 07:00 PM
I've owned coated Stainless headers in the past and never had an issue... But then again, I rarely own vehicles longer than a year... I'm about to set a record with my current beast...

CRUZTAKER
06-28-2004, 07:10 PM
..... But then again, I rarely own vehicles longer than a year... I'm about to set a record with my current beast...
This is an understatement!!! Nothing but tough love in that garage.:lol:

BillyGman
06-28-2004, 11:29 PM
I rarely own vehicles longer than a year... I'm about to set a record with my current beast...AAAAHHHH! That explains your comments in another thread about your efforts to look for another car as of late. You must be one of those who has to have change all the time or you get bored quickly w/what you have. As nice of a set-up as you have w/your complete Marauder package, I was originally very surprised to read your comments about you considering another car to possibly replace the Marauder, but now I'm getting a sense of the broader picture concerning your taste in vehicles.

But ofcourse this is a bit off topic. Sorry Nick.

Logan
06-29-2004, 04:50 AM
Well at this point, my marauder excels beyond any other car I'd currently care to own in all areas save perhaps a more spiffy interior, but it's not so big a deal that I'd consider replacing my marauder for.

At this point, I think I'm more thinking about a daily driver stable mate for my marauder...I may end up picking up another marauder for the daily commute.

stevengerard
06-29-2004, 11:12 AM
Oh to be Logan, I certainly could see getting a new car every other year. But my practicality keeps me enjoying them longer.

2003 MIB
06-29-2004, 11:14 AM
Nah, Steven- you don't want to crash vehicles as often as Logan.
I think it's a fear of committment. I for one probably won't be logging on to fordescapehybrid.net when he picks up that site.

Ross
06-29-2004, 11:27 AM
Oh to be Logan, I certainly could see getting a new car every other year. But my practicality keeps me enjoying them longer.

I HATE making car payments, so I tend to keep a car until the wheels fall off.