PDA

View Full Version : Marauder News

Cougar72
06-25-2002, 04:54 PM
Any news on aftermarket products for the Marauder?

Logan
06-25-2002, 06:09 PM
You'd be surprised what's already available just due to the nature of the powertrain. Throttle bodies, exhaust, headers, tranny valve bodies, computer chips, gears...

IMHO, gears are the most important mod so far, 3.73's solve a bunch of the off the line problems. It comes from the factory with 3.55's... Me, I'd probably put 4.10's in it...

The good news on gears are that swapping them doesn't require PCM mods due to the new speed sensor being on the axle as opposed to in the tranny.

Jim
06-27-2002, 11:26 AM
So a switch from 3.55 to 3.73; anyone have a link to one of those clever online calculators that would tell me the RPM increase at ~ 70 mph?

I like of like the sedate highway cruising in my M; wouldn't want too much of a frenetic din on the interstate....

-Jim

Logan
06-27-2002, 06:52 PM
You can count on a 250-300rpm increase at 70mph...Very reasonable.

Jim
06-28-2002, 02:57 PM
Interesting... Very interesting...

Anyone actually have time to do any testing before/after the 3.73 swap yet? I'd be curious to see what it does to the 0-60 times...

-Jim

Logan
06-29-2002, 07:05 AM
Haven't had the car out to the strip before or after, but there's a huge seat of the pants difference. It's instantly noticably better acceleration. Not to mention alot easier to send the tires up in smoke if so desired.

WJSOLOMON
07-01-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Logan:"Haven't had the car out to the strip before or after, but there's a huge seat of the pants difference. It's instantly noticably better acceleration. Not to mention alot easier to send the tires up in smoke, if so desired!"

Logan - Any advice as to where to go for Replacement Rear Tires, if we "Smoke 'Em Out", or simply get a Puncture?

Neither the Guys at "The Tire Rack", "Tires.com", or BF Goodrich have any current Information as to availabilty for these brand new puppies!

I take Delivery next week, and the Parts Department Manager could offer few suggestions this early in the process! Will MECURY be like LEXUS and request that Every Dealer stock an Appropriate Amount of their OEM Run Flat Tires for the Volume of SC 430 Sales, Plus a few extra for "Out-Of-Town" Travelers?

"INQUIRING MINDS NEED TO KNOW!"

:eek: :confused: ;) :cool:

Logan
07-02-2002, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't worry about it.

I called Tirerack and they indicated even if it's not listed on the site, if it's on your car, they'll be able to get it almost immediately.

As for smokin' 'em up, I'd wait a month until the regional distribution centers get some of the new tires in stock... :)

...or just go buy some now so you have some spares. :)

WJSOLOMON
07-02-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Logan: "I wouldn't worry about it. I called Tirerack and they indicated even if it's not listed on the site, if it's on your car, they'll be able to get it almost immediately. As for smokin' 'em up, I'd wait a month until the regional distribution centers get some of the new tires in stock. :) .Or, just go buy some now so you have some spares. :) "

Thank you Logan - you're a Gentleman, And a Scholar!

I rest easier tonight, in spite of the "Sweaty Palms" from anticipating being "introduced" to my New Marauder next Monday, upon my return from a Business trip this week to Hot / Sunny Sarasota!

No. #45 Side / Rear Window Tint, Heated Front Seats, M-3 Style Stone Guards, 3-Trumpet Air Horns, Twin Cellular Antennas installed on the Rear Glass, Multiple Layers of Pinnacle / Klasse / Pinnacle Sovereign Liquid & Paste Wax, Debadged of the Rear "Wave" Emblem (replaced with small Black Rubber Grommets), an "M-5" Badge just to the right of the Trunk Lock, and a Personalized Plate that reads: "COULD BE".

MERCURY MARAUDER - THE ULTIMATE DOMESTIC LUXURY / PERFORMANCE MACHINE!"

:eek: :confused: :D ;) :cool:

Jim
07-03-2002, 03:05 AM
WJSOLOMON;

Interesting. I'm driving my Marauder to Sarasota today (7/3.)

Keep an eye out; it'll be the black one!

-Jim

WJSOLOMON
07-03-2002, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Jim to WJSOLOMON; - Interesting. I'm driving my Marauder to Sarasota today (7/3.) Keep an eye out; it'll be the Black one! - Jim

Jim - Keep an eye out for a Guy sitting in an upgraded Lawn Chair that appears to look like French-Stiched NUDO Leather, along I-75 at the Manatee / Sarasota County Line on the South Side of Exit 40, along University Park Way, Sweltering in this almost 90 Degree Heat, but with a Long Sleeve Black Executive Twill Shirt and a Black Baseball Cap both emblazoned with the MERCURY MARAUDER Logo, right next to a sad looking fellow holding a Sign reading: 'WILL WORK FOR FOOD", with my own Sign that reads: "Will Eat Food For A New Marauder"!

:eek: :confused: :D ;) :cool:

Jim
07-03-2002, 04:15 PM
And you, sir, will know me, because I'll be the guy at the dealership early Friday, attempting to get my Marauder fixed!

300+ miles into the trip, the car developed a desire to shift from 4th to 2nd at 80 MPH. Engine redlines, trans upshifts to 3rd, then to 4th.

All this with a BARE movement of the throttle.

Now, at all speeds, accelleration brings on excessive use of 2nd gear. Seems like it might be a sensor issue..

Wish me luck,

-Jim

WJSOLOMON
07-03-2002, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Jim :And you, sir, will know me, because I'll be the guy at the Dealership early Friday, attempting to get my Marauder fixed!
300+ miles into the trip, the car developed a desire to shift from 4th to 2nd at 80 MPH. Engine redlines, trans upshifts to 3rd, then to 4th.
All this with a BARE movement of the throttle.
Now, at all speeds, accelleration brings on excessive use of 2nd gear. Seems like it might be a sensor issue..
Wish me luck, Jim."

Jim - These guys at the Sarasota Dealership have won Multiple-Customer Service Awarts previously, so if you end up there when the Service Garage Door opens early Friday, you will be in Good Hands.

We all live in a "Computer Driven World", and can't always wind up with the Good Fortune of a "MS. DELILAH" as your Service Writer, but I'm hopeful that if you're fortunate enough to drop your New Sled there for the required Transmission Computor Upgrades, they will let you drive something other than a Free Compact Car Rental for the duration.

Call Mercury Customer-Care @ (800) 521-4140, and tell them what it is that you need to be a "HAPPY CAMPER", and what brought you there in the First place, and only after 300 Miles.Think I'll have my Salesman drive home prior to delivery, just to try and avoid these kind of inconvenient problems.

Good Luck!

Dennis Reinhart
07-05-2002, 04:25 PM
If you change gears a chip will be required, the shift patern will change it will short shift, as well as the speedo an the speed limiting will come in much sooner especially with 4:10's, but I can adjust this with the chip I have sold two already, and they really like them, I also move the 2/3 shift point up, so if I can help let me know.

Logan
07-05-2002, 05:47 PM
The shift points are RPM controlled aren't they? I was told by a Ford service mechanic that the speed sensor for the marauder is on the axle, not in the tranny, so the speedo should be accurate without PCM mods...

I must be missing something here...

'splain this to me.

Dennis Reinhart
07-05-2002, 05:55 PM
THat may be I am checking on this now so please bear with me but even so if you change gears I would think it would throw off the speedo, since it is calibrated for the stock gears, which would efect the shifting but again I may be wrong I will have a firm answer tonight my friend did all the testing on the Marauder I raod in one seven months ago, he is at the Dyno now.

Dennis

Dennis Reinhart
07-05-2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Logan
The shift points are RPM controlled aren't they? I was told by a Ford service mechanic that the speed sensor for the marauder is on the axle, not in the tranny, so the speedo should be accurate without PCM mods...

I must be missing something here...

'splain this to me.

He is wrong its in the transmission, so any changes to the rear end will effect the speedo and the trans shift points, if you change gears you will need a corection with a chip I can do that easy, also I can reburn the chips for any later mods.

Dennis

Logan
07-05-2002, 06:46 PM
I stand corrected... I'll be havin' a word with the fella who told me otherwise. Love to know where that came from.

Something tells me you'll be handy to have around... Thanks for the info Dennis.

JT03
07-06-2002, 11:39 AM
Dennis,

I'm not familiar with a chip. However, I've had good experiences with downloading a power loader into my corvette. Can you please tell me what I can expect by putting a chip in my MMO3? I will be keeping the car stock except for the chip. Sounds like you know your stuff (i.e., price, etc.)

Thanks for everything.;)

Dennis Reinhart
07-06-2002, 12:28 PM
First of all the converter does not lock up at WOT.

I can fix this and it will get you 10/15 more HP, the fuel tables are weak as compared to the Cobra I can fix that and if you stay with 93 octane I can get you 20/30 HP more.

The chip will firm up shifts remove speed limiting and raise rev limiting, I can bring the cooling fans on sooner, and this chip will not invalidate your warranty.

Every chip is customized for your specific needs and application. We don't use off the shelf programming like some other places. We develop each chip for exactly what your needs are without it costing extra.

We can also change a lot of things the "others" can't. Most "chip burners" just take some pre-developed program and burn that onto the chip. We have developed our own software that allows us to modify literally hundreds of values that the other guys don't even know exist. This is one of the things that make our chip better than the rest.

We have made thousands of Dyno pulls to develop a calibration that optimizes power and torque. During each of these pulls data is obtained, analyzed and then changes are made based on that. When you buy our chip, you buy this experience, which is second to none.

In almost all situations you do not need to send us your EEC module to read. We have an extensive database of files and rarely will you be put out by having to send us your module.

We don't just sell you a chip, we tell you how to get the most power out of your vehicle. Sometimes there are other things that you can benefit from, like a colder thermostat, different spark plugs and a different MAF.

We can set up your chip for any air meter you want to run. Not like the other guys that try to sell you their air meter with their chip. The best MAF's to use in most any application are production Ford MAF's. The quality control on these are excellent and the latest models have a pressure drop just as good as the aftermarket meters.

The programming on our chip was developed by people that actually programmed production EEC's. Do you want someone who has only made chips for, maybe, a few hundred cars or a few million?

In all honesty anyone can make power with a chip. All you have to be able to do is change spark and fuel (but you do get our vast experience for making that power). Very few, if any, chip programmers make changes to anything other than wide-open throttle. How often are you are WOT? After you get all the power possible, we then modify how the car drives at part throttle, where you spend most of your time. We modify the shift schedule, shift feel, spark, fuel, EGR, almost every subsystem that is within the EEC to maximize your entire driving experience. This also results in greater fuel economy. Now, with all your new found power, you may find yourself sampling this power more often, so you need to remember this when calculating your fuel economy.

No one can beat our chip for Torque, power, Price, or Service. We are TOPS.

Dennis

Logan
07-06-2002, 01:07 PM
Well said. :)