PDA

View Full Version : Car Prices

Redster
06-28-2004, 03:54 PM
Cruzer was telling someone at Chuck's about the MM price. He said that originally it was supposed to be $29,995 but some things happened that caused the price to be raised to $34,995. I thought that was kind of interesting.
Then I'm reading in my Autoweek that Jaguar is lowering the price on the X type by $3,000 and adding $2000 in options. In effect lowering the price by $5000. New base price is $29,995. They quote the Jag president as saying "In truth, we realigned the MSRP to the transaction price we had seen in the last 12 months...It had been inflated MSRPs and heavy incentives". I think he means rebates.
Some of that kind of thinking about pricing would have sold a lot more MM's IMHO. The X plan and the rebate got the price of my MM below 30K where it probably should have been all the way along.

RoyLPita
06-28-2004, 04:13 PM
There is a possibility that the person in question was $5000 upside down in the trade. Unless this person chose the financing instead of the rebates. BTW, Only 2003 and very early 2004 MMs are $34995 MSRP with no options.

Redster
06-28-2004, 04:24 PM
There is a possibility that the person in question was $5000 upside down in the trade. Unless this person chose the financing instead of the rebates. BTW, Only 2003 and very early 2004 MMs are $34995 MSRP with no options.
This article states that they are lowering the MSRP on Jaguar X types, all of them. The way I read it, they are pricing it by the price it really sells for instead of an inflated price.

RoyLPita
06-28-2004, 04:29 PM
Cruzer was telling someone at Chuck's about the MM price. He said that originally it was supposed to be $29,995 but some things happened that caused the price to be raised to $34,995. I thought that was kind of interesting.

I was referring to this part of your statement.

Just my .02 and then some

Redster
06-28-2004, 04:38 PM
I was referring to this part of your statement.

Just my .02 and then some

oh, I see what you mean. Cruzer was talking about the MSRP not an individual deal. Thanks again for the info you got for me on my VIN a few months ago.

RoyLPita
06-28-2004, 04:42 PM
Anytime. Feel free to PM me. I'll be glad to help out. One question: What is "Oneill Eqipped"?

rumble
06-29-2004, 06:59 PM
Steve Babcock said that originally FMC was going to price
the Marauder at $29,995 but when they had an advance showing
for the dealers they managed to make them believe that the car
could sell at the $34,000+ price. Hence, the overprice.

Redster
06-29-2004, 07:13 PM

Yeah, and in Autoweek the Jaguar pres admitted making a mistake in pricing the X-type in a similar manner. I'm just exericising my 20-20 hindsight. And it really fits in with what Cruzer said about the mistake in pricing the MM.

stevengerard
06-29-2004, 08:39 PM

Wow, this p*ss' me off. I guess we all felt is was over priced but the best thing out there for our needs/desires. But still makes you wonder what the real price of all these cars should be, yeah I know free market - they make enough off of us though.

dwasson
06-30-2004, 05:19 AM
I figure that rebates imply that the car was overpriced. If I wouldn't buy it at $X and I would at $X and a rebate then I must think that the original price was too high.

RVT04
07-14-2004, 07:21 PM
Then I'm reading in my Autoweek that Jaguar is lowering the price on the X type by $3,000 and adding $2000 in options. In effect lowering the price by $5000. New base price is $29,995. They quote the Jag president as saying "In truth, we realigned the MSRP to the transaction price we had seen in the last 12 months...It had been inflated MSRPs and heavy incentives". I think he means rebates.
Some of that kind of thinking about pricing would have sold a lot more MM's IMHO. The X plan and the rebate got the price of my MM below 30K where it probably should have been all the way along.
lindas sticker was 34,885, we were upside down on the 01 sable by about 4800 the payments on the sable were 420 and i just told em i could pay no more than 500/ month they ended up eating the difference on the sable and dropped the sale price to an even 29,000 to get the monthly pymt to 500 the apr on the sable was zero and lindas mm is 1.9 i still had 40 months to pay on the sable and started over on a 72 month with no cash down
which i guess means iwill pay out 36,000 for the car but the bottom line is i don't care; it's worth every penny especially compared to a new town car for 42,000 or a t-bird for the same. lets be serious for a bit and realize what we have for the money one heck of a ride.
the real coup was my car three weeks later listed at 24,450 with 1097 miles on it and i traded a 85 3/4 ton truck a wheelbarrow full of cash and they came off the price to a flat 23,000 and threw in the esp warranty, my payments are 125/mo for the same 6 yrs.
payoff right now is less than 5 large so what do i care look at how much fun i am having. i think i will go with what bill says, i aint had this much fun since my 70 duster three forty, well he had a 63 t-bird, i had the mopar!
see ya'll @ INDY

jakdad
08-12-2004, 07:22 AM
Typical Ford. When they came out with the Gen II Lightnings, the sticker price was $34500. I had three dealers tell me that Ford had instructed them to add an additional $5000 to sticker :lol: . I told all three of them that I wanted some of whatever they were on.
Finally paid 30K for mine out of state. Shopping Marauders now but haven't found anything I can't live without.