PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket cat hassles?

rayjay
07-01-2004, 02:44 AM
Curious if anyone here has had a shop turn them down on install for aftermarket cat converters prior to 50k mile. Its technically not legal to change out a functioning converter prior to 50k miles (Fed emissions law). There was much wailing and knashing of teeth on this subject on the Focus sites. I put a high flow on my ZX3. Easy self install. (45 min)

What ceramic coating is Kooks using? Anyone here sent their headers to jethot for coating? Thanks

BillyGman
07-01-2004, 04:12 AM
Holy multiple question posts Batman!!!! ....I'll try tackling one of the questions anyway.......

I don't think that Kooks ceramic coats their headers anymore since they're now making them out of stainless steel. There's just been a thread about that in this same forum, so you might want to check it out. I hope this helps you.

FordNut
07-01-2004, 05:21 AM
I'll try another part...

Many shops will not remove the cats. But they can put new cats on a car if they have been damaged or removed by someone else. So "accidentally" damage them or take them off yourself and drive it over to the muffler shop with open headers!

Another good reason to get a pre-assembled kit that just bolts in. The only need for a muffler shop rhen is to replace the mufflers.

CRUZTAKER
07-01-2004, 05:39 AM
Nearly ALL of the corner street shops won't touch exhaust mods for federal liability reasons....find a SPEED SHOP!

woaface
07-01-2004, 07:51 AM
So if I got a Marauder and wanted new cats, I should ask my mechanic if it were possible for him to install what I have after I % ally" beat the stock cats in with a hammer? Ok, sounds good to me:shot:

studio460
07-01-2004, 09:43 AM
I went to a local muffler shop on the Westside and the guy at first refused to install the Magnaflow high-flow cats on my Marauder. He said the Magnaflows (which he actually had in stock) were only CARB legal for light trucks. After a moment's hesitation, he said he would install them if I paid him in cash. He was going to charge $50 per cat, and said he would match my Jegs's price for the Magnaflow high flow cats ($100 each).