PDA

View Full Version : What Muffler Manufacture to buy?

schuvwj
07-06-2004, 08:03 PM
I am ready to put new mufflers on my MM.
I have seen many of you purchased several types of muffler manufactures like
Magaflow, Flowmasters, Deltaflow, Borla, etc., etc.

What is the best MM mufler to use with headers easy flow cats, x-pipe and 2.5 inch pipe. I still have stock tail pipes and stock tips. I really don't want the cabin resonating sounds at 60 MPH that you can get with some mufflers but still would like a little to alot of bark also.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

TAF
07-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Bill...in my opinion...the best, most "suited' muffler for the Marauder is the 18" Magnaflow.

Do keep in mind, though...the "right" sound of your car is VERY subjective. Here is a link to some Magnaflow sounds on various cars (including the Cobra).

http://www.proficientperformance.com/sound-clips/sound-clips_magnaflow.htm

CRUZTAKER
07-06-2004, 08:33 PM
Ditto...18" magnaflow.

MICA Racing
07-06-2004, 09:03 PM
Unfortunately I haven't heard an MM with them yet, but I think I'll try the 40 or 50 Series Delta Flow by Flowmaster. If I can get more rumble and that great Ford V-8 sound without turning my interior into the inside of a subwoofer box at a bass-off, I'll be happy. And Todd is exactly right - you have to find what you like. there won't be one 'best' setup - try to meet up with some fellow club members and see what they've done that you like best.

Joe Walsh
07-06-2004, 09:11 PM
I've got the Magnaflows with Kooks Headers and 2.5 inch Hi -flow Cats & X pipe into the stock over axle tail pipes/Megs. It sounds GREAT!... Almost
as quiet as stock during cruising with light throttle, BUT as soon as you dip into the throttle it gets LOUD!!!! If you don't like to hear your
engine at anything but light throttle be careful with the Magnaflows. I like to hear my exhaust (I know, I'm a redneck) so I love the Magnaflows.

joflewbyu2
07-06-2004, 09:15 PM
Borla, awesome quality in materials & workmanship !

Constable
07-06-2004, 10:14 PM
I've been through three sets of mufflers so far. I have Kooks headers, Magnaflow cats, x-pipe, etc...

I started with Dynomax Magnum Race Mufflers. They sound amazing on pushrod motors, but like crap on OHC motors. Don't buy 'em.

Next came the SLP Loudmouth glasspacks. Sounded great on the MM, but were WAY TOO LOUD!

Now I have Flowmaster 40 series DeltaFlows. They are great mufflers for this car. Minimal amount of interior resonance, awesome rumble while the engine is under a load.

If I were you I'd go with the Magnaflows. I should've done that to begin with... would've saved money and time.

BillyGman
07-06-2004, 11:28 PM
I've heard sound clips on different websites of the magnaflows including the ones on the Magnaflow website, and let me tell you, they didn't sound anything like a Marauder sounds w/them on. I also have the 18" straight-thru design Magnaflow mufflers, and the car sounds fantastic, and everyone comments on how great it sounds. I mean I actually have had guys who I don't even know pull along side of me and ask me "Man, what do you have under that hood? That thing sounds great!"

And that wasn't by any means an isolated incident. This happens often. And as far as the dreaded "cabin drone" I haven't experienced it yet. Not w/the Magnaflows. My best buddy says my car sounds like it came right from a circle track. If you like a mean V8 growl, you'll love the Magnaflows. But they also make triple baffled mufflers to. Don't get those. Get the 18" stainless steel "Wide open" ones like Kooks sells.

67435animal
07-07-2004, 01:40 AM
I have the delta 40s with the resonator delete tips from Wes Chain. The exhaust rumbles and sounds great. I hear that the Magnaflows are a little quieter but you'll want the tips for sure or you won't hear much difference from stock.

Bob

BillyGman
07-07-2004, 01:56 AM
Bob, I don't mean to start a big debate w/you over this, but I have the stock tips on my 300A, and the Magnaflows are considerably louder than the stock exhaust was.

CRUZTAKER
07-07-2004, 04:37 AM
No debate...if we did a pole of what most of us have, and not just opinions...the majority tun the 18" magnaflow. Tried, tested, true!

67435animal
07-07-2004, 05:16 AM
Bob, I don't mean to start a big debate w/you over this, but I have the stock tips on my 300A, and the Magnaflows are considerably louder than the stock exhaust was.

Billy, no problem. Perhaps we should just leave it at this: the exhaust will be louder with non resonator tips regardless of the mufflers you install. Install whatever mufflers you prefer.

Bob

dwasson
07-07-2004, 06:24 AM
A lot of it depends on what oil you are using.

MarauderMark
07-07-2004, 06:37 AM
I've heard sound clips on different websites of the magnaflows including the ones on the Magnaflow website, and let me tell you, they didn't sound anything like a Marauder sounds w/them on. I also have the 18" straight-thru design Magnaflow mufflers, and the car sounds fantastic, and everyone comments on how great it sounds. I mean I actually have had guys who I don't even know pull along side of me and ask me "Man, what do you have under that hood? That thing sounds great!"

And that wasn't by any means an isolated incident. This happens often. And as far as the dreaded "cabin drone" I haven't experienced it yet. Not w/the Magnaflows. My best buddy says my car sounds like it came right from a circle track. If you like a mean V8 growl, you'll love the Magnaflows. But they also make triple baffled mufflers to. Don't get those. Get the 18" stainless steel "Wide open" ones like Kooks sells.

Billy works for magnaflow^^^ :lol:
I couldn't have said that any better.though i didn't get ss :mad:

Cobra25
07-07-2004, 07:00 AM
I've heard the Mags and the Flowmasters 40's and went with the 18 inch mag's. Not too load and a better flowing muffler.

TAF
07-07-2004, 08:16 AM
Here is a link to a BUNCH of videos of a recent "Exhaust Sound-Off" held by the Atlanta SVTOA. A GREAT bunch of guys, with some HOT cars...Click on the names next to the descriptions for the videos...Enjoy!

http://www.svtoa-atlanta.org/phpBB2/upload/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1212

MICA Racing
07-07-2004, 08:28 AM
A lot of it depends on what oil you are using.
Don't forget SilverStars make it louder too. BTW, love the new sig quote.

merc
07-07-2004, 10:46 AM
I currently use Mac path flow mufflers with the DR exhaust and this combination Dale Earnhardt Jr. would be proud of. I don't think anyone on this site has this combination, but for the members that have heard my car can attest to it’s menacing sound. I also provided a link that gives you some idea.

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/sounds/sounds.htm

HwyCruiser
07-07-2004, 04:08 PM
Guess what was waiting for me at home today...

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/1594wideopen-med.JPG

These ought to be quiet, no?

Yup, aluminized :puke:. Y'all think I should spraypaint them black?

- JD

schuvwj
07-07-2004, 08:53 PM
Hey guys I really appreciate all of your muffler recommendations! Based on everyone’s comment it sounds like most of you like Magnaflow or Flowmaster.

If wanted to pick a perfect muffler it would have a soft rumble during normal cruising speeds but loud during moderate to heavy acceleration. However cabin drone is not an option!

I called a local speed shop which specializes in Mustang 5.0L and 4.6L modifications and they recommended Dynaflow mufflers because they have had customer complaints of cabin drone after a few months with both Flowmaster and Magaflow.

Does anyone have any Dynaflow experience?

Note: Constable I LOVE your harmonic motion clip located in the upper left corner of your posts. Its very hard to read your comments with those very nice distractions. Bounce, bounce, and bounce!

Thanks!

FordNut
07-07-2004, 09:09 PM
Hey guys I really appreciate all of your muffler recommendations! Based on everyone’s comment it sounds like most of you like Magnaflow or Flowmaster.

If wanted to pick a perfect muffler it would have a soft rumble during normal cruising speeds but loud during moderate to heavy acceleration. However cabin drone is not an option!

I called a local speed shop which specializes in Mustang 5.0L and 4.6L modifications and they recommended Dynaflow mufflers because they have had customer complaints of cabin drone after a few months with both Flowmaster and Magaflow.

Does anyone have any Dynaflow experience?

Note: Constable I LOVE your harmonic motion clip located in the upper left corner of your posts. Its very hard to read your comments with those very nice distractions. Bounce, bounce, and bounce!

Thanks!
Not sure about their mufflers, but I believe Constable had their cats and they didn't last.

I have Edelbrock RPM mufflers and I like them quite well. They're pretty loud, but no drone.

BillyGman
07-08-2004, 12:50 AM

Thanks!I think you made a big mistake right there in that conversation. I'd never put my full trust in a business like that. The first thing you should be asking a biz in question is "What choices do I have in the way of performance mufflers for my car if I have work done by you?".....and then I'd ask, "What brands of performance mufflers do you have in stock for my car at this present time?".

If you don't find this info out first, then you'l have no way of knowing if the person in question is simply trying to push what mufflers he already has payed for by telling you that other brands aren't as good. BTW, what state do you live in?

TripleG
07-08-2004, 02:14 AM
There's that word again drone I just took off the DynoMax Ultra SS because I couldn't stand that noise (drone) at 40 Mph. The machanic I use is great but they are all out for the buck. I mentioned all the muffers diiscussed here and they reccommened Dynomax.....

I just had installed (picking the car up this morning ) the Aero Turbine 2525 along with the resonator option to make a mellow sound. Check out there claim to frame at http://www.aero-turbine.com.

Anyway I'll sell you the Dynomax Ultra SS 21" cheap. More Tomorrow

BillyGman
07-08-2004, 02:36 AM
Hey "Triple G" this is "Billy G", and if you want to know for certain how a Bad Black Marauder sounds w/the Magnaflow mufflers from inside and outside the car, then let me know, and I'll meet you somewhere so you can hear for yourself before you go spending your money again based on some garage owner's word.

if you want to hear them for yourself and take me up on my offer, I'll meet w/you, give you a ride on side streets as well as on the highway, and I'll let you make your own decision. There won't be any pressure from me. That will be entirealy up to you. It's your car pal. Cabin drone? Not in my car.

JohnE
07-08-2004, 04:54 AM
I'm running DR's 2.25" exhaust system, finished off with 18" Magnaflows and 2.25 to the rear. Like the setup.

I did have the dreaded drone. Turns out it was because my tune was way off. This wasn't because of the exhaust changes, I just built a new engine up. Got the car dialed in on a dyno. And now it's powerful and quiet, just not silent like stock.

RoyLPita
07-08-2004, 05:05 AM
I like Flowmasters. I heard the Magna flows on a stock MM. To me, they are nothing out of the ordinary.

Just my .02 and then some.

Fourth Horseman
07-08-2004, 08:07 AM
I have a couple of friends with 4.6 Mustangs that have after-market mufflers on them. I listened to theirs and talked to a few other Mustang owners whos cars I heard and decided that I liked the sound of the FlowMasters best. Granted, the Mustang and Marauder aren't exactly the same, but it gave me a good idea of what to expect. My recommendation: do some listening to cars that have different mufflers installed before making a decision. Everybody's idea of the perfect exhaust sound is different.

BillyGman
07-08-2004, 11:29 AM
I've heard the Mags and the Flowmasters 40's and went with the 18 inch mag's. Not too load and a better flowing muffler.
I agree w/Cobra25 on this. I think that's an accurate statement on his part. As much as Flowmaster wants to claim superior exhaust flow rates, their mufflers are still baffled. Therfore there's no way that they can flow as good as the "Wide Open" Magnaflow mufflers can since the Mags merely consist of a perforated pipe that runs through the center, and has some type of packing stuffed around the perforated pipe and inside the muffler body for a sound deadening effect.

I know there are three or four different types or "series" of flowmaster mufflers, and I've only heard two of them that I know of. But the ones that I've heard make a tinny sound as if though your engine is breathing through a tin can, and I don't like that. I'm not sure that they all sound like that though. I'm simply stating that the ones that I've heard, especially on Mustangs, do sound that way.

IMO, the Magnaflows are plenty loud enough for me, but they're not too loud. And I have heard "too loud". But this is difficult to discuss since what i think is "too loud" might not be your idea of "too loud" and vice versa.

Fourth Horseman
07-08-2004, 12:02 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "tinny" but I certainly wouldn't describe the sound my car makes, or the Mustangs with Flowmasters I've heard, as "tinny." On the other hand, I can see how it might sound more hollow, as there is no packing in the FlowMasters, it's just a series of baffles. That might set up some resonance of some type that you might be perceiving as "tinny."

In any event, I admit that I bought my mufflers for sound and sound only. I don't question that they flow better than the stock mufflers, but since I don't have a custom exhaust it's all pretty much moot in terms of flow rate. I bought 'em because they sound good. For whatever it's worth everybody who rides in my car comments on how good the exhaust sounds.

Exhaust sound is like oil: pick what you like and stick with it. :)

BillyGman
07-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Yes, 4th H. a "Hollow" sound. That's what I meant. Kinda like a big hollow tin can. But that's simply my opinion, although I've heard other people voice that same opinion. But to each his own I guess. :)

warren
07-08-2004, 05:58 PM
That new Aero hi- tech one sounds very interresting !

Be sure to take a look at the one in our Ford Racing Cat.
Pg. 111 dual mode mufflers. M-5230-BP2.
They have a special door inside that opens up (straight thru) when you are at WOT. I don't know what RPM.
I think they are made by Superior a division of Arvin-Metor.

WarrenB :D

HwyCruiser
07-08-2004, 06:18 PM
Bill...in my opinion...the best, most "suited' muffler for the Marauder is the 18" Magnaflow.

Do keep in mind, though...the "right" sound of your car is VERY subjective. Here is a link to some Magnaflow sounds on various cars (including the Cobra).

http://www.proficientperformance.com/sound-clips/sound-clips_magnaflow.htm

Those are some neat clips. For the MM, is it closer to the Mustang or the Cobra? Please don't say Mini, please don't say Mini.

Give's me an idea to post a video of my MM's exhaust tone, before and after the Mags go on... hmmm.

- JD

BruteForce
07-08-2004, 06:29 PM
There is a vid HERE (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5697&highlight=Kooks) that Logan uploaded of his exhaust note that sold me on the Kook's/MagnaFlow setup.

rumble
07-08-2004, 06:41 PM
I have the Flowmaster 40series, not the delta flows. My car is quiet at idle with only a slight rumble, at WOT it, well to say it best, it howls like Hell. I like that. Here in Dallas Logan and 2003MIB (Dan the Man) have the 18" Magnaflows with Kook's exhaust and they definitely have more of a deep rumble than my stock cats with the 40's. The real secret (you did want the real secret, right?) is not so much what brand of muffler you have but what kinda cats do you have. The stock ones seem to be very restrictive and stop the deeper tones before they even get to the muffler.

HwyCruiser
07-08-2004, 07:01 PM
There is a vid HERE (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5697&highlight=Kooks) that Logan uploaded of his exhaust note that sold me on the Kook's/MagnaFlow setup.

I hadn't seen (heard) that one before. Thanks! :up:

joflewbyu2
07-08-2004, 07:06 PM
how about breaking up the 2nd cat and empty it out since the O2 sensor is before and after the 1st cat and while nothing is after the 2nd.

Fourth Horseman
07-08-2004, 07:30 PM
I have the Flowmaster 40series, not the delta flows. My car is quiet at idle with only a slight rumble, at WOT it, well to say it best, it howls like Hell. I like that. Here in Dallas Logan and 2003MIB (Dan the Man) have the 18" Magnaflows with Kook's exhaust and they definitely have more of a deep rumble than my stock cats with the 40's. The real secret (you did want the real secret, right?) is not so much what brand of muffler you have but what kinda cats do you have. The stock ones seem to be very restrictive and stop the deeper tones before they even get to the muffler.

This is a good point. I can always tell the Mustangs that are running around here that have a complete exhaust system over the guys that (like me) just changed out the mufflers. The custom exhaust systems just sound much better. Some day my warranty will be gone and I'll have some extra cash and I'll do the same.

BillyGman
07-08-2004, 11:03 PM
how about breaking up the 2nd cat and empty it out since the O2 sensor is before and after the 1st cat and while nothing is after the 2nd.
But the first set of cats will be still the stock restrictive ones, so that might not get you much gains.

HwyCruiser
07-11-2004, 06:05 PM
Well, I didn't have time to do a before video... but here's the after!

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/images/video.gif (http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/1594Exhaust_tone.wmv)

- JD

TAF
07-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Well done JD...and you can here how you are training your child to handle the extra G-forces...:lol:

schuvwj
07-11-2004, 06:22 PM

Rumble do you have any drone inside the cabin with the Flowmaster 40 series?

BillyGman
07-11-2004, 06:27 PM
The video was terrible in that clip but the audio was perfect. That exhaust sounds great. :up:

schuvwj
07-11-2004, 06:27 PM
Well done JD...and you can here how you are training your child to handle the extra G-forces...:lol:

I thought that was JD singing or his mufler belt was slipping!

HwyCruiser
07-11-2004, 06:31 PM
Fixed it.

- JD

rumble
07-12-2004, 05:55 PM
Rumble do you have any drone inside the cabin with the Flowmaster 40 series?

Some, but not a lot. I find if the cabin noise seems loud I just back off a hair
and it becomes dead quiet. I think almost any type of aftermarket exhaust
will have some increase in cabin noise. Hey, if YOU can't hear em, what good
are they?