PDA

View Full Version : Scratched rims

Donald
07-10-2004, 08:24 PM
I may have gotten a good deal on rear tires ($89 ea) but I paid for my good fortune when I had them mounted. I now have 2 nice scratches on one rim.

The shop says they can get the rim re-polished. But it will take 2 weeks.

I assume the full size spare rim is the same size as the others. Could it be polished? The shop offered to get it polished if the price is the same as fixing the scratched one.

Is a re-polish possible? Is a polishing the spare a possibility?

martyo
07-10-2004, 08:43 PM
I may have gotten a good deal on rear tires ($89 ea) but I paid for my good fortune when I had them mounted. I now have 2 nice scratches on one rim.

The shop says they can get the rim re-polished. But it will take 2 weeks.

I assume the full size spare rim is the same size as the others. Could it be polished? The shop offered to get it polished if the price is the same as fixing the scratched one.

Is a re-polish possible? Is a polishing the spare a possibility?

Our stock rims polish up nice. Even if the road rash is bad......don't ask me how I know.....

mungce
07-11-2004, 04:27 AM
I had to replace 3 rims when I got stuck in an ATM slot ( that's another story )..factory wheels, without centers or lugs at cost are over $700 each, or at least that's what my insurance company paid for them. Getting them re cromed cost as much or more than a nwe wheel, and as far as I know only one place will even do it.out in Calif. I have some "opps " whells dings too, and if there was a way to fix them, I would be on it quick.

sailsmen
07-11-2004, 04:42 AM
SgtMAc found a national wheel refurb co that charges a falt $100 pre wheel and has an excellent reputation.

BillyGman
07-11-2004, 06:32 AM
factory wheels, without centers or lugs at cost are over $700 each, or at least that's what my insurance company paid for them. Getting them re cromed cost as much or more than a nwe wheel
2 things here:

#1. that $700 pricetag is definately inflated for insurance companies. I've priced them at the Mercury dealer for $556, and Lidio gets them for $415 each for his customers who choose to get a new set to have widened for the P305 drag radials rather than having their original ones widened.

#2. "Re-chromed" you say? I didn't think these mag wheels are chrome plated. I believe they're polished aluminum.

Krytin
07-11-2004, 06:33 AM
Yep Billy - polished & clear coated!

BillyGman
07-11-2004, 12:32 PM
That's what I thought. Thanks Paul. :up:

CRUZTAKER
07-11-2004, 08:17 PM
Is a polishing the spare a possibility?
Yes sir...I have had 3 partially polished. Not so cheaply though....

Ask around for a wheel repair shop, start with asking your dealer where they send their wheels to be replaced...and go from there.

BTW: I can get Marauder wheels from an aftermarket wheel replacement source locally for $325 each. You may want to look into that as well.

Donald
07-12-2004, 09:06 PM
I did not hear from the shop today. I will contact them and push the point. If the operation cost $325 or so I will mention replacement as an option.

Yes sir...I have had 3 partially polished. Not so cheaply though....

Ask around for a wheel repair shop, start with asking your dealer where they send their wheels to be replaced...and go from there.

BTW: I can get Marauder wheels from an aftermarket wheel replacement source locally for $325 each. You may want to look into that as well.