PDA

View Full Version : detail supplies

Tallboy
07-12-2004, 04:12 PM
i know much of this post will be personal preference, but i'm curious as to what brand of detail supplies you use. my wife works at a porsche dealership in sarasota, and they had a car show sunday. part of the show is a detail seminar, put on by sam lankford of four star, a company that manufactures detail supplies. my car had just been detailed a month ago by a local ford store, and sam offered to re-do my car to show me what it should look like.

he did half the car saturday and on sunday we let the people see the "before and after" difference. i was amazed, as were the owners of many porsches and ferraris in attendance. the difference was night and day. sam showed me the proper way to detail a black car, and what chemicals to use. i am no novice, as i've spent over 10 years in dealership service departments.

i was a meguiars/liquid glass man until this weekend. if you're curious as to what "four star" is, their website is www.premiumautocare.com (http://www.premiumautocare.com)

so, what do you guys use?

MARAUDER S/C #5
07-12-2004, 04:18 PM
ZAINO :up:

TAF
07-12-2004, 04:19 PM
ZAINO :up: :up:

Paul T. Casey
07-12-2004, 04:57 PM
Just bought the new "Turtle Wax Platinum." I'll offer my reviews later this week.

duhtroll
07-12-2004, 05:51 PM
Meguiars NXT Gen

-A

Donny Carlson
07-12-2004, 06:03 PM
i know much of this post will be personal preference, but i'm curious as to what brand of detail supplies you use. my wife works at a porsche dealership in sarasota, and they had a car show sunday. part of the show is a detail seminar, put on by sam lankford of four star, a company that manufactures detail supplies. my car had just been detailed a month ago by a local ford store, and sam offered to re-do my car to show me what it should look like.

he did half the car saturday and on sunday we let the people see the "before and after" difference. i was amazed, as were the owners of many porsches and ferraris in attendance. the difference was night and day. sam showed me the proper way to detail a black car, and what chemicals to use. i am no novice, as i've spent over 10 years in dealership service departments.

i was a meguiars/liquid glass man until this weekend. if you're curious as to what "four star" is, their website is www.premuimautocare.com (http://www.premuimautocare.com/)

so, what do you guys use?
Linky no worky:(

Mikeenh
07-12-2004, 06:07 PM
Premium was spelled wrong. Try this www.premiumautocare.com/

Tallboy
07-12-2004, 07:09 PM
Linky no worky:(
it does now. my typing sucks. sorry 'bout that...:shake:

Patrick
07-13-2004, 01:07 AM
Zaino OK but still use Eagle 1. Spoiled I guess!

Marauder8
07-13-2004, 05:14 AM
Zymol Zymol Zymol

Silver_04
07-15-2004, 06:40 PM
Zaino Z2 and Z5, detail spray and clay bar to put the bling in the paint
Meguiars Scratch X to remove the small surface imperfections and stains
Mothers Plastic Polish for the lights
Mothers Back to Black for the black trim
Mothers Clear Coat Wheel Polish
Stoner Glass Cleaner
Stoner Tire Shine
Meguiars Plastic Detailer for the interior bits
Meguiars Leather Care but going to change to Zaino
Ultra fine steel wool for the tail pipes
Simple Green and a lot of time under the hood when it needs it
And I use better cotton towels on the car than I have in the apartment

teamrope
07-15-2004, 10:06 PM
Meguiars NXT Gen

-A:stupid: What he said...(I don't have the time it takes to do the whole Zaino treatment.) Maybe I'll change my mind when I can see some comparisons at Indy. :D

Black 04
07-16-2004, 05:41 AM
Meguiars NXT Gen

-A

What he said. :up: :up:

2003 MIB
07-16-2004, 05:55 AM
What he said. :up: :up:
Me too- love this stuff! I also use Tropic Care detail spray as a spit shine for shows.

rayjay
07-16-2004, 06:11 AM
Just bought the new "Turtle Wax Platinum." I'll offer my reviews later this week.I bought this also. car came out beautiful :up: with little effort. I should qualify this with I use a orbital buffer w/lambs wool pad to finish.

MERCMAN
07-16-2004, 07:01 AM
Macguires NXT, for a year I have been trying different brands, mothers, eagle one, macguires classic. I think I have found my brand. The NXT is really superb and I use the NXT quick spray for touchups before car shows.

This product ROCKS!!! :rock:

troopcar
07-16-2004, 07:49 AM
Don't want to hijack this thread, but at least it's on the subject of detailing.

Can anyone recommend a good tire treatment that does NOT rub off on the inside of a car cover? What happens is that the treatment then winds up being smeared from the inside of the cover to the surface of the car as the cover is being put on an taken off. I've been using the Zaino tire treatment, and it smears badly. I think most commercial products will rub off, but does anyone know of one or some other product that doesn't?

It's frustrating to get the car all shined up and the tires are still grungy-looking and dull.

Thanks,

troopcar

Fourth Horseman
07-16-2004, 08:32 AM
:stupid: What he said...(I don't have the time it takes to do the whole Zaino treatment.) Maybe I'll change my mind when I can see some comparisons at Indy. :D

Same. I like the NXT wax so far. I liked the results from the Mother's car wax, but the Meguiars NXT is easier to use and yields results that are just as good. I also use Mother's Back to Black for the plastic trim pieces, as well as their California Gold car wash and spot detailer. Turtle Wax brand Wet N' Black on the tires. Lexol cleaner and conditioner for the leather. And I couldn't live without ArmorAll wipes for keeping the door seals, trunk seals, etc. soft and nice. I use a spray bottle of ArmorAll under the hood, though.

Patrick
07-17-2004, 10:08 PM
Heres what I do. I use Armor All car wash (Gel) And then Eagle 1 spray pollish after I wash. Then once a month I use Eagle 1 polish. Inside I use Meguiers Gold class for the leather! Not much use for "Mothers" Just my 2 cents!

Patrick
07-17-2004, 10:34 PM
Don't want to hijack this thread, but at least it's on the subject of detailing.

Can anyone recommend a good tire treatment that does NOT rub off on the inside of a car cover? What happens is that the treatment then winds up being smeared from the inside of the cover to the surface of the car as the cover is being put on an taken off. I've been using the Zaino tire treatment, and it smears badly. I think most commercial products will rub off, but does anyone know of one or some other product that doesn't?

It's frustrating to get the car all shined up and the tires are still grungy-looking and dull.

Thanks,

troopcar Iuse turtle wax tire treatmant. No runs and no streaks!

Patrick
07-17-2004, 10:40 PM
PICS!!! Enoy!

mmmmmmarauder
07-17-2004, 11:49 PM
I couldn't resist and since we are mentioning brand names...
there is only ONE.

Doesn't ANYONE get the Griot's Garage catalog in the mail
like every week?

That guy is a perfectionist!!! The best wax (IMHO) is
Griot's Best of Show Wax...this is ultimate carnauba and
he KNOWS how to apply it...

you rinse/presoak your car when the sheet metal is cool to the touch
in the shade (preferably at night w/2000 watt halogen worklights...
THAT will ensure you get an audience from the neighbors...:rasta:

Then you take his 100% cotton terry car wash towels (these, my friend
are REALLY 100% cotton...even the stitching is cotton and there are no labels...), don't get fooled by the microfiber synthetics (will produce micro-scratches), and soak in the TOP half of a five gallon bucket of car
wash suds and lightly do the TOP HALF of the car...

The bottom half of the car, the wheels, and bumpers should use their
own separate towels...rinse the car and the towels frequently

final rinse...blow dry with a leaf blower...don't stand in the water if it is electric... :D

hours later, but before the dust settles, apply wax...if I am lazy I remove the wax while it is still wet...and it seems to last ALMOST as long with alot less effort

then keep an eye out for low flying birds:uzi:

my MM will be at INDY for a day to get a dynotune...likely someone else will
be driving it...I am having surgery for severe obstructive sleep apnea, believe it or not...look for the stainless steel mesh grille by Gator Customs in Crestwood, IL with the God's head recessed in the center...it was posted about six weeks ago...

"Strive for perfection in everything.
Take the best that exists and make it
better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept
nothing nearly right or good enough."

Sir Henry Royce,
co-founder of Rolls Royce

Peter
greekchicago@hotmail.com:beer:

Patrick
07-18-2004, 12:08 AM
I couldn't resist and since we are mentioning brand names...
there is only ONE

Doesn't ANYONE get the Griot's Garage catalog in the mail
like every week?

That guy is a perfectionist!!! The best wax (IMHO) is
Griot's Best of Show Wax...this is ultimate carnauba and
he KNOWS how to apply it...

you rinse/presoak your car when the sheet metal is cool to the touch
in the shade (preferably at night w/2000 watt halogen worklights...
THAT will ensure you get an audience from the neighbors...

Then you take his 100% cotton terry car wash towels (these, my friend
are REALLY 100% cotton...even the stitching is cotton and there are no labels...), don't get fooled by the microfiber synthetics (will produce micro-scratches), and soak in the TOP half of a five gallon bucket of car
wash suds and lightly do the TOP HALF of the car...

The bottom half of the car, the wheels, and bumpers should use their
own separate towels...rinse the car and the towels frequently

final rinse...blow dry with a leaf blower...don't stand in the water if it is electric...

hours later, but before the dust settles, apply wax...if I am lazy I remove the wax while it is still wet...and it seems to last ALMOST as long with alot less effort

then keep an eye out for low flying birds

my MM will be at INDY for a day to get a dynotune...likely someone else will
be driving it...I am having surgery for severe obstructive sleep apnea, believe it or not...look for the stainless steel mesh grille by Gator Customs in Crestwood, IL with the God's head recessed in the center...it was posted about six weeks ago...

Peter
greekchicago@hotmail.com

I hope your sugery goes well.!!!!

Silver_04
07-18-2004, 06:22 AM
...don't get fooled by the microfiber synthetics (will produce micro-scratches)...

No kidding. Those towels are evil for exterior work. My dad swears by them but I can't talk him out of using them...his '03 Mach 1 has all sorts of little swirls that weren't there when he bought it.

However, I do like them for interior detailing because they leave no fibers behind. Which is nice because if CSI ever tried to to a forensics study on my car they'd never know what kind of towels I used...he he he.

Cobra25
07-18-2004, 06:44 AM
I use Meguiars NXT Gen .

mmmmmmarauder
07-18-2004, 08:09 PM
if I keep posting after next Monday
6:00 A.M. surgery...

THANKS FOR THE GOOD WISHES!:beer:

Peter
greekchicago@hotmail.com:stupi d: