View Full Version : Marauder & CV vs. Impala SS

BillyGman
07-13-2004, 11:01 AM

FiveO
07-13-2004, 11:06 AM
Don't make me come out there! ;) :D

Paul T. Casey
07-13-2004, 05:22 PM
Billy, I went to the Southern Super Heavyweight Shootout last fall in Atlanta, and like you, I found these folks to be a great bunch. Consider my email sent to them. Great Idea on your part! :up:

CRUZTAKER
07-13-2004, 06:31 PM
Don't make me come out there! ;) :D
Same here....no supercharger....no bottle....ALL THROTTLE....

I'll come to the 'down hill track' and show them a thing or two, especially if it's in cool weather.

Hopefully bracket rules, but hell, I'd use a pro tree if needed!:rock:

martyo
07-13-2004, 06:58 PM
I'll come to the 'down hill track' and show them a thing or two, especially if it's in cool weather.

Barry: Say the word and you and the family can come stay at my house for the weekend!! :rock:

CRUZTAKER
07-13-2004, 07:28 PM
Thanks Marty....if this event happens, I, we, are there!!!

martyo
07-13-2004, 07:46 PM
Thanks Marty....if this event happens, I, we, are there!!!

Awesome!! :up:

JET
07-13-2004, 10:55 PM
I belive this event was originaly scheduled for Cecil County Race track & was cancelled because of weather. I think it was called the Impalla SS Crown Vic Shootout or something like that. Last year I went to Acto all the time but don't know of any event that was originly scheduled a that track and it wasn't on their season schedule. Nonetheless count me in.

Know have you decide to come to Indy or what?

TAF
07-18-2004, 01:18 PM
I think there should be plans made by a LOT of folks, from ALL over to head South for this....

http://www.sshs4.com/

duhtroll
07-18-2004, 01:38 PM
But is the "secret project car" going to be there? :up:

-A

I think there should be plans made by a LOT of folks, from ALL over to head South for this....

http://www.sshs4.com/

stumpy
07-18-2004, 01:46 PM
I'm glad you came away from the Atco meet with a positive experience, and more pleased that you want to continue the friendly sparing between full figured heavy weights like ours.

As for why Atco late last year, it's always been a end of year race (after the ECIRS season is over) at Cecil County. The reason for that is because Cecil County is the fastest track on the East Coast, probably the whole county, and it's generally an event at which many new records are set. It was highly publicized with the CV crowd months in advance and I thought it would be even better if the MM were also represented, which is why I posted here to get you guys out. Unfortunately we got snowed out at Cecil and thankfully Atco, the only local track open year round, was gracious enough to host it the following week.

The event at Island Dragway (http://www.islanddragway.com/) in NW NJ is a regularly scheduled ECIRS (East Coast Impala Racing Series) (http://www.ecirs.org/) event, which is a point race for Impala SS and other B-Bodies. Considering it's a points race, I'm not sure if we would line up other than for trial runs and possibly in the heads up after the brackets conclude. However, the December event is really more for Impalas vs CVs and MMs and hopefully we'll get to do it again.

*** Edit: Island Dragway is actually in North Western New Jersey ***

CRUZTAKER
07-18-2004, 02:39 PM
Jessica, Gage, and I are definately in for October 2nd....guaranteed. :up:

Bigdogjim
07-18-2004, 02:52 PM
I think Oct. date would work better as a bunch of us are going to Maraudervill II the first of Aug. I could free up a weekend in Oct and head to Acto:)

stumpy
07-18-2004, 05:14 PM
Don't get me wrong about the ECIRS events, we'd love to have you. But if you'd like to do something special such as an Impala vs Marauder race then let me know and we can work it out together. All it takes is some wrangling with a local track to fit us in at one of their regular T&T dates where they give us our own lanes. Call it the Northern Super Heavy Shootout. FYI, those interested in the SSHS4 (http://www.sshs4.com/) it will be held for the last time this November in Atlanta. There will be a lot of big time Impala SS racers from all over the country.

Paul T. Casey
07-18-2004, 05:26 PM
Hey Stumpy, pencil me in for the shootout. That was by far the best bunch of chevy guys I've ever run into. Why is this the final one though? I was looking forward to making it an annual event for the rest of my days. :(

stumpy
07-18-2004, 07:45 PM
Hey Stumpy, pencil me in for the shootout. That was by far the best bunch of chevy guys I've ever run into. Why is this the final one though? I was looking forward to making it an annual event for the rest of my days. :(
Well as far as I know it's only the "Final Battle" because the club that hosts it (a considerable effort I've been told) doesn't want to continue putting it on. Not sure if it's because of a lack of interest within the club or what, but they won't be doing it after this year.

If you're going down from RI then we should try and hook up for the trip down. I'm sure there will be a large procession of Impalas from the North East that would be happy to have you tag a long, safety in numbers so to speak.

TAF
07-18-2004, 08:15 PM
That event down south that TAF was speaking of is kinda far out my friend. keep in mind that many of us marauder owners will be racing our daily drivers, and and it's simply that much more of a risk for us to take w/our cars to be racing at tracks that are a 8-10 hour drive away from where we reside.
There's nothing that could happen to your car down here Billy...that we can't get fixed...lickitysplit :up: ;)

stumpy
07-18-2004, 09:01 PM
Billy, any of the ECIRS events will be a points race, which is why I wanted you to know the schedule. If you want to get the most out of a Impala vs. MM event then we (the two of us) need to schedule something on the side. It could be at a regularly scheduled ECIRS event, just not at the same time. The Island Dragway event may be our best chance as it's a small mom and pop track that would cater to us more so than Atco and the rest. It's easy enough to schedule the ECIRS race in the morning and the Impala vs. MM event in the afternoon. This would allow us to do a bracket race and a heads up race just like we do with the ECIRS.

If I read you correctly you would prefer it if we did this as a true Impala vs MM race. To do that we'll need at least 12 or more MMs to show up. We could get our own lanes and line up for both brackets and an 8 car heads up race based upon qualifying times.

LMK
Glen

Paul T. Casey
07-19-2004, 05:34 PM
re., The Southern Shootout, I just happen to be in the Chattanooga area each year on business when it comes around. If it's the last one, all the more reason to show. As far as a Northeast "Impala-Marauder Grudge Race," (my words), has anyone lookied into the track at Epping NH. I know it's further for the Philly and NJ guys, but it's probably closer for everyone east of Bridgeport Ct or so. I'll talk with some of them up there if there is any interest in that location.

dansenander
07-19-2004, 06:02 PM
So I say that we make a united and organized effort to find out for sure.

....a dragstrip event
"The Impala SS vs. The Marauder & Crown Vic".......

Hmmm? :depress: But.. But... Which of my cars should I bring?

The 1994 Chev 9C1 LT1?
The 1992 Ford Police Interceptor?
or
The 2003 Mercury Marauder?

Can a MM tow both the Ford PI and the 9C1 LT1??

Dan S, Minnesota

2003 Marauder, Black
Superchip Tuner, Underpulleys, Denso, 180 Stat, K&N Filter

1994 Chevy 9C1 LT1 5.7
Custom seats, TB Bypass, Drilled box, K&N Filter, Mobile 1, Vette Starter, Modified exhaust system, Tips

1992 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor
Stock

CRUZTAKER
07-19-2004, 08:07 PM
That IS a dilemma....poll time!:rolleyes:

JerseyVics
07-19-2004, 09:28 PM
if my new transmission is in the car and operable and this event isn't on the weekend, I'll join you guys so I can embarase myself, lol

--Russ :)

JerseyVics
07-20-2004, 03:18 PM
no sir... thats when I work at the better of the two jobs I have.

as much as I want to have fun, I need the money more.

I will do my best however,

--Russ

Paul T. Casey
07-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Well Billy, if I'm around, and I should be, it would be a pleasure to get slaughtered along side of you. That way I can get "owned" on both sides of the Mason Dixon line this year. I am looking forward to seeing Impala taillights. God, those cars are so fast and awesome. BTW, if the Jersey location doesn't work out, let me know as there has been some interest from the folks at New England Dragway.

nomad
07-22-2004, 07:36 PM
Billy, time and place? If it's a weekend, I'm in. :)

TripleTransAm
07-22-2004, 07:55 PM
Paul, you never cease to crack me up! :lol: :lol: :lol:

MENINBLK
07-23-2004, 12:06 PM
I can not figure this out for the life of me, and tell me if you see it this way too...

I understand the competition between the SS Impala and the Marauder.
Two Big Muscle Cars, they are...

But why in the world would anyone want the take an 8 - 10 year old car and race against something NEW ? :confused:

TripleTransAm
07-23-2004, 01:35 PM
But why in the world would anyone want the take an 8 - 10 year old car and race against something NEW ? :confused:

You can't always run against an opponent of the exact same model year every time. Consider it as two entries in the full-size muscle sedan category, but spread over nearly a decade. Chevy participated for a few years, then pulled out, Mercury participated for a few years, pulled out. What makes it more of a match-up is the common idea : blacked out muscle sedan with attitude.

Other than that, it's about as relevant as racing a hopped up 1979 Mustang against a modded 1993 Trans Am. Just another race between similar-segment cars...

Krytin
07-23-2004, 04:30 PM
Alright, if the weekend fits my schedule - Ill be there (most likely to be beat)!

Paul T. Casey
07-23-2004, 06:50 PM
This going to be bracket style, or grudge style? Don't matter to a poor underpowered blue oval guy like me either way, just curious.

MarauderMark
07-24-2004, 05:31 PM
As per my response to the pm me and the misses will be there.just let us know where and when .we can go both ways :baaa: .ok stop laughing.also i can get my wife to talk to cecil county if ya'll want me to and not just for this actually for anything....There great friends of ours :rock:we allways look forward to meeting other marauder'ers..just can't afford mvII :mad:

MarauderMark
07-24-2004, 08:26 PM
I can't belive that everyone isn't getting in on this as well this sounds like fun for all . at least for me it is getting to meet these guys from our site .C'mon ya'll lets have a meet.. :up: :up: :up:

MarauderPeg
07-24-2004, 08:43 PM
Quess i'll have to show Mark how to run a rauder.Any lessons needed?:lol:

Paul T. Casey
07-28-2004, 04:49 PM
I'll take any lessons offered for a reasonable price.

sailsmen
07-31-2004, 04:51 PM
They have also had a decade of more experience in racing/modding the cars than we have w/ an engine that has been out a lot longer than the 4.6 DOHC. :coolman:

Paul T. Casey
08-01-2004, 04:55 PM
Well I figure the only way to gain the experience that they have is to step up to the plate. I had a ball at the SSHS in Atlanta this past fall, and they even showed me a few tricks. I'll keep checking this post and if I can swing it, maybe go to ebay to get a "practice tree" so I can improve my reaction times! I do tend to get a lot of practice around town at the stop lights, but it's just not the same. I'll probably take a run up to Epping this week to hone the old skills and shake out some of the bugs.

stumpy
08-01-2004, 07:59 PM
Billy, I'm gonna try to make this work and to get something scheduled soon. But bear in mind that getting enough ppl to show up for a race is not always easy. The Impala folks on the other hand have the ECIRS (East Coast Impala Racing Series) co-founded by Karl Ellwein. However, the ECIRS includes 12 races, which makes for a busy schedule.

Therefore, to ensure a large turnout I'm proposing that you hold a separate Marauder only race along side an ECIRS race whereby we run against each other in trial runs, split up during eliminations and then the top cars from both groups compete in the heads up racing. This way we can get at least 20 or more Impalas to show as well as give you guys a chance to start something among yourselves.

During Trial runs:
Impalas line up against Marauders until eliminations begin.

Eliminations begin:
Impalas break away and have their normal ECIRS point race, B-bodies only. At the same time the Marauders hold their own bracket race.

Heads up racing (Pro Tree)
Once the bracket races are over, the top qualifiers from both groups would line up by class for the heads up races. Depending upon how many Marauders show up for each class it could be Impala vs. Marauder or just the 8 quickest in order to fill the 8 car ladder. Bear in mind there would be 2 heads up classes and 16 cars competing.

The heads up classes are broken down as follows:
Big Dog: heads/cam or built motors or anything with a power adder.
Little Dog: stock motor including heads/cam and bottom end plus any bolt on except a power adder.

Here is a link to the ECIRS (http://www.ecirs.org/) web page with the schedule. Karl likes this idea and has asked that I coordinate it. Track participation/cooperation is key, so I need to give them plenty of heads up. It would be nice to shoot for the event in Island Dragway in 2 weeks but that's cutting it close. The other possibility is at Atco on Oct. 2nd.

BillyGman
08-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Glen, I think October 2nd sounds fine, but since we've only has 4 or 5 guys who seem to be interested, so far it isn't looking like that would work. We just aren't getting enough interest amongst Marauder owners here for us to have our own bracket racing event amongst ourselves. So according to what you're saying, this just might not fly this year at all.

stumpy
08-02-2004, 02:33 PM
He no sweat, I'm sure it took a couple of years for the Impala crowd to develop a core group of racers that you can count on for these type of events. Perhaps if you organize a few MM only races, like ECIRS, you'll get a group of devoted racers that will show up on a regular basis. That's the way it is now for ECIRS. There are probably less than 15 devoted racers that show up at every race yet we often draw 10 or more occasional racers that may only come to one event a year. Three weeks ago we had an ECIRS race at Englishtown where over 80 cars showed up and 54 of them raced.

Until then you and the other MM owners are more than welcome to come to the regularly scheduled event that Gramby Motorsports hosts at Cecil County in December. It may not be the closest for you but it's the best we can do right now.

MarauderMark
08-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Well for me i only wanted to go maybe run a few times but basically just to meet others and talk i am not a commited racer but i would show up.and i'll probelly will be there in december.since i'm only around the corner.. :rock:

Dan
08-02-2004, 10:13 PM
I would try to make an Oct date to the best of my ability. I could try to get Ultravorx to go and I have a neighbor with an 04 DTR that MIGHT be convincable.

Aug is out.

Dan

BillyGman
08-03-2004, 12:44 AM
Well, I tried. The way karl sounded in the three e-mails that he sent me in response to my request to get an event on the track going, he gave me the impression that it was all go. But i guess I shoulda just went to Glen (aka "Stumpy") in the first place about this, since this hasn't turned out like Karl led me to believe at all. I'm done w/this thread guys. As far as I'm concerned, this is a dead issue. I for one don't plan on driving 5 or 6 hours from my homestate just to race. if you guys want to do that, that's all good, but I'll pass.

it seems that all the Impala SS boys are backing away from this now. Like i said, if I had originally went to Glen about this in the first place, I think I would've gotten the straight scoop right from the start, and I wouldn't have even bothered any of you w/this since it just was never gonna happen in the first place. I just wish that the Impala SS board moderator would've told me that in the first place instead of sending me a few e-mails telling me that it was gonna fly. I'm sorry guys. I didn't mean to waste your time w/all of this. I definately wasted my own time. that's for sure.

But in all fairness to Karl (the Impala SS board Moderator), I'll simply give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he meant well, and that their racing events are just too booked up this year already, and that it's probably difficult for him to squeeze us in their already tight racing scheduel.

I just want to thank Glen for all of his thoughtfull, and informative input. :up: