PDA

View Full Version : Thanks Dennis! - PI Torque Converter Tuned

HwyCruiser
07-15-2004, 07:47 PM
I also had the 2nd gear hesitation that CRUZTAKER posted about in the Garage Forum... but not anymore!

In my gal, The PI TC was a beast that needed to be tamed. Its "rough around the edges" feel and 2nd gear bobble significantly detracted from the gained low end torque. I don't know if this is unique to certain PCM codes, but mine was FDH2.

A few calls to Dennis and I'm good to go within a few days. I'm running Dennis' BDM0 tune modified with Jerry's TC lockup values now. She shifts and accelerates with definite purpose just as before the TC swap, nice and clean like, but with gobs more torque. It pulls all the way to 3rd gear just as expected. Best of all, she's regained her manners.

As a side note, I ordered the SCT PC download cable from Dennis after discovering that the effects of the PI TC were much worse with the stock code. Not something I wanted to live with while my tuner was in transit. With the PC download cable in hand, it just took an e-mail to fix me all up. He even up'ed my in-gear idle for the UDPs. Definitely on the ball.

Thank you Dennis! I really appreciate your concern for this and your timely assistance, especially knowing how hard you work at the shop. You are a great asset to the MM community.

Y'all find me in the "buy Dennis a beverage" line at Indy. :beer:

- JD

FiveO
07-15-2004, 07:53 PM
Good to know.

My PI Torque Converter is going in within the next couple of weeks.

Can't wait!

CRUZTAKER
07-15-2004, 08:04 PM
I hate say I KNEW it was programming....but I knew it was programming!

I am due for the fix next week.

MikesMerc
07-15-2004, 08:14 PM
I hate say I KNEW it was programming....but I knew it was programming!

yup....as suspected. Glad your fix is coming. Let me know how it goes.

HwyCruiser
07-16-2004, 05:51 AM
Spoke with Dennis this morning to formally thank him. Humble as he is, he probably doesn't want me to post this... but he shyly corrected me that it was his tune with Jerry's TC lockup values that got me fixed.

I agree, there's no need to split hairs. Its all good. I'm just glad I have access to someone as resourceful as the good DR.

- JD

BruteForce
07-16-2004, 10:50 AM
Ordered a data cable from DR for my SCT and will be applying the same updated software soon.

Don't know why I put this off for so long. Heck even some of my HT components (remote and HD scaler) hook up to a PC. Why not my car tuner too? :lol:

scareme
07-20-2004, 03:09 PM
Ordered a data cable from DR for my SCT and will be applying the same updated software soon.

Don't know why I put this off for so long. Heck even some of my HT components (remote and HD scaler) hook up to a PC. Why not my car tuner too? :lol:

How much does this go for and exactly what can be done with it. I have the tuner and would like to get the cable as well.

BruteForce
07-20-2004, 04:22 PM
How much does this go for and exactly what can be done with it. I have the tuner and would like to get the cable as well.

Call Dennis and he will hook you up. I don't know what the cost is (didn't ask) but I assume based on other posts that its @ $80. It allows you to connect your tuner to a PC serial port and upload "tweaked" programming to replace the existing one(s). Then you can apply that new programming to the car in the usual manner.

scareme
07-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Call Dennis and he will hook you up. I don't know what the cost is (didn't ask) but I assume based on other posts that its @ $80. It allows you to connect your tuner to a PC serial port and upload "tweaked" programming to replace the existing one(s). Then you can apply that new programming to the car in the usual manner.

Thanks for the reply, i should be getting this and pulley's soon!

BruteForce
07-23-2004, 12:56 PM
Flashed the MM with DR's updated SCT tuning today. First impressions are very favorable. My initial test run was only around the block but was able to WOT for a short distance. The lag in second is much less evident. Where it used to lag, it just pulls harder. :burnout: Idle RPMs are a bit higher but that probably helps with having the UD pulleys (and soon electric water pump) to avoid under charging.

One thing I did notice was that the #$%@ dealer did not save the factory flash when they did the original flash. Its not like I plan to revert back, but I DID ask that they make sure to do that. :fire:

HwyCruiser
07-23-2004, 06:48 PM
Flashed the MM with DR's updated SCT tuning today. First impressions are very favorable. My initial test run was only around the block but was able to WOT for a short distance. The lag in second is much less evident. Where it used to lag, it just pulls harder. :burnout: Idle RPMs are a bit higher but that probably helps with having the UD pulleys (and soon electric water pump) to avoid under charging.

One thing I did notice was that the #$%@ dealer did not save the factory flash when they did the original flash. Its not like I plan to revert back, but I DID ask that they make sure to do that. :fire:

Brute,

After I "upgraded" the tune I noticed the hesitation at the same RPM in 2nd, but much less. I was a little bummed, but after about 2-3 more WOTs, the hesitation went completely away and hasn't come back. I wonder if its the silly adaptive shifting dealy. :confused:

I'm really liking the raised idle since its gotten hot around here. The a/c was really starting to suffer. I only drop a hair below 12V on the gauge when the lights, radio, and a/c are on, not like the 10 - 10 1/2 I was seeing. No problems with the brake creep... the Wilwoods don't mind a bit.

- JD