PDA

View Full Version : Accufab Throttle Body Installed and WOW!

JET
07-16-2004, 07:18 PM
I just got the Accufab throttle body installed, purchased from Lidio, and either something is wrong or this thing unleashes the monster under my hood even more. I’ve only had 2 days of driving experience with it but it makes an incredible difference in what I am feeling from my motor. I dare to say that in my opinion it actually takes a little bit away from the daily drivability of the car due to fact that the response is so immediate. Lidio does not have any HP numbers due to the fact that he hasn’t had anyone install a throttle by itself. I was actually going to go to Atco raceway tonight but a friend who was diagnosing a tire issue with my car did me a favor & filled up the gas tank. Needless to say I’m not racing on a full tank of gas.

Does anyone else on the board have an Accufab throttle body or another aftermarket throttle body in their car?

If so what is your opinion of what it does to the performance and drivability?
:up:

MI2QWK4U
07-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Well...from one Trilogy Brother to another...should I get it?! I'm knocking on 11 seconds with my low 12 second runs, I was considering the Kooks and one more solid proven item to push it under 12 sec, is this it?

FordNut
07-16-2004, 07:58 PM
I just got the Accufab throttle body installed, purchased from Lidio, and either something is wrong or this thing unleashes the monster under my hood even more. I’ve only had 2 days of driving experience with it but it makes an incredible difference in what I am feeling from my motor. I dare to say that in my opinion it actually takes a little bit away from the daily drivability of the car due to fact that the response is so immediate. Lidio does not have any HP numbers due to the fact that he hasn’t had anyone install a throttle by itself. I was actually going to go to Atco raceway tonight but a friend who was diagnosing a tire issue with my car did me a favor & filled up the gas tank. Needless to say I’m not racing on a full tank of gas.

Does anyone else on the board have an Accufab throttle body or another aftermarket throttle body in their car?

My car isn't blown, so it isn't a direct comparison. But I put the BBK twin 62 on mine and it changes the off-idle performance dramatically. It's kind of like an off-on switch instead of the gradual application of power. It made more torque on my NA car but didn't change the peak hp.

JET
07-16-2004, 08:22 PM
It's kind of like an off-on switch instead of the gradual application of power. It made more torque on my NA car but didn't change the peak hp.

I think that sounds like it. I know in time I'll be able to work it right but I could see my wife jerking the car forward.

Are you happy with your TB?

JET
07-16-2004, 08:28 PM
Well...from one Trilogy Brother to another...should I get it?! I'm knocking on 11 seconds with my low 12 second runs, I was considering the Kooks and one more solid proven item to push it under 12 sec, is this it?
I think Lidio can answer that question a lot better than I can. I'm itching to get the Kooks too. Well I can't promise you numbers but what the hell are going to let me be the only one on the board with this? No way know go give Lidio a call & order yourself one.
;)

FordNut
07-16-2004, 09:10 PM
I think that sounds like it. I know in time I'll be able to work it right but I could see my wife jerking the car forward.

Are you happy with your TB?
I like it but it's like you said about the wife driving it. Just get used to using both feet sometimes so you can hold it back with the brake while you get it moving with the throttle. Once it's moving it's alright.

Logan
07-17-2004, 07:29 AM
The single blade TB's are worth 5-8 at the wheels typically, the bigger payoff is in throttle responsiveness. Been there, done that, wasn't impressed enough to do it twice.

That being said, the polished TB's DO have a nice bling factor which must enter into the equation...

Petrograde
07-17-2004, 08:53 AM
OK JET,... a few Q's

How much?
How hard is the install?
Any tuning required afterward?

thanks!

Logan
07-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Usually about 4-500 bucks. 10 minute install, including time for a beer. No tuning req'd.

sailsmen
07-17-2004, 03:10 PM
I would not let a full tank stop you from the track, couple of
wot and you will be just fine.

I like to go to the track with close to 1/2 tank. I usually make 12+ runs and less than a 1/4 tank can cause problems.

Petrograde
07-17-2004, 03:18 PM
Usually about 4-500 bucks. 10 minute install, including time for a beer. No tuning req'd.

Thanks Logan. I'm more interested in the throttle response than a few HP. This looks like a good mod for me.

Donny Carlson
07-17-2004, 07:56 PM
The single blade TB's are worth 5-8 at the wheels typically, the bigger payoff is in throttle responsiveness. Been there, done that, wasn't impressed enough to do it twice.

That being said, the polished TB's DO have a nice bling factor which must enter into the equation...
Yes, they do.

I submit for your approval -

And these can be had for your Marauder - once the idle speed sensor issue is solved - for mid 3's if you hunt for it.

BruteForce
07-17-2004, 08:24 PM
Yes, they do.

I submit for your approval -

And these can be had for your Marauder - once the idle speed sensor issue is solved - for mid 3's if you hunt for it.

Do tell... :)

Donny Carlson
07-17-2004, 08:30 PM
What is in the pictures is the version intended for racing, or cars with motors over 500 rwhp. The one for most of us is very similar, but a slightly smaller opening. This will not work unless you modify the upper intake and idle air sensor. Stay tuned, fans, this is a work in progress.

JET
07-17-2004, 09:22 PM
Call Lidio he can tell you for fact & have it to right away.

JET
07-17-2004, 09:24 PM
What is in the pictures is the version intended for racing, or cars with motors over 500 rwhp. The one for most of us is very similar, but a slightly smaller opening. This will not work unless you modify the upper intake and idle air sensor. Stay tuned, fans, this is a work in progress.
It sure looks like mine

JET
07-17-2004, 09:29 PM
I would not let a full tank stop you from the track, couple of
wot and you will be just fine.

I like to go to the track with close to 1/2 tank. I usually make 12+ runs and less than a 1/4 tank can cause problems.
Everbody has their own theory. I'll race with gas in my tank but full is just too much. I preffer to race on a tank that is close to empty. Yes I know this can happen & that can happen but It hasn't happened yet & I preffer to race this way.

FordNut
07-17-2004, 09:29 PM
It sure looks like mine
Yep. It will bolt right up to the Trilogy but for centrifugal or NA cars the OEM intake manifold has to have some machining done and potential problems and/or mods with the idle air bypass functions have to be worked out.

FordNut
07-17-2004, 09:34 PM
Everbody has their own theory. I'll race with gas in my tank but full is just too much. I preffer to race on a tank that is close to empty. Yes I know this can happen & that can happen but It hasn't happened yet & I preffer to race this way.
I agree that full is too much but I wouldn't race much below 1/4 tank either. If fuel sloshing were to cause low fuel pressure and a lean condition, you might kill the motor.

sailsmen
07-18-2004, 05:56 AM
The difference between a full tank and 1/2 tank is 54lbs. The 54lbs is near the rear axle.

FiveO
07-18-2004, 07:18 AM
When I ran at Cedar Falls Raceway a couple weeks ago with my fathers 12 second Mustang I ran 12.75 @ 105.20.

Her best time has been 12.39 @ 109.1

At Cedar Falls I was at the Full line...don't ask. Went to wash the windshield and forgot...she filled up :(

Full to just below 1/2 is worth .25 seconds IMO. At least in this Mustang. Next time she's going with 3/8 a tank.

Logan
07-18-2004, 08:32 AM
JET, The reason you shouldn't be running WOT with a 1/4 tank or less has to do with the placement of the fuel pickup in the Marauder's tank. It's on the wrong end! When you accelerate hard, the fuel is actually being pushed AWAY from the pickup, as the pickup is at the FRONT of the tank.

It's been verified with Fuel pressure gauges and dyno's that this WILL cause you to lose some fuel pressure. In the supercharged cars, that just ain't cool.

martyo
07-18-2004, 08:36 AM
In the supercharged cars, that just ain't cool.

Actually, it is hot. Very, very hot. Detonation like hot!!

JET
07-20-2004, 07:09 PM
JET, The reason you shouldn't be running WOT with a 1/4 tank or less has to do with the placement of the fuel pickup in the Marauder's tank. It's on the wrong end! When you accelerate hard, the fuel is actually being pushed AWAY from the pickup, as the pickup is at the FRONT of the tank.

It's been verified with Fuel pressure gauges and dyno's that this WILL cause you to lose some fuel pressure. In the supercharged cars, that just ain't cool.
Thanks for the 411 :cool:

jspradii
07-20-2004, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the 411 :cool:I don't dare run a nitrous shot in excess of 125 hp without at LEAST half a tank. If the fuel pressure to my rail drops below 30 psi, I'll burn something up, or bend it big time....... Besides, the way this thing squats on the track, any gratuitous weight I can add to the rear wheels is actually a plus.:beer:

martyo
07-20-2004, 09:03 PM
Any gratuitous weight I can add to the rear wheels is actually a plus.

Jim, if that is what you are looking for, try throwing Todd in your trunk. Talk about your gratuitous weight!

jspradii
07-21-2004, 06:36 AM
Jim, if that is what you are looking for, try throwing Todd in your trunk. Talk about your gratuitous weight!Now I said GRATUITOUS, not DEAD!:shot:

MI2QWK4U
03-16-2005, 10:05 PM
I think Lidio can answer that question a lot better than I can. I'm itching to get the Kooks too. Well I can't promise you numbers but what the hell are going to let me be the only one on the board with this? No way know go give Lidio a call & order yourself one.
;)

I did, it definetly feels a LOT better, but I did the Kooks and the Accufabe together. The Throttle response will take some getting used to...Looks good with the polished parts of my kit.

FiveO
03-17-2005, 06:05 AM
What model Accufab is compatible with our Trilogy's?

Bowman9
03-17-2005, 08:49 PM
So a new TB will give me better throttle response?
I miss the quick snap my 5.0 mustang had when you'd press the gas, will this TB give me that kind of response in my N/A Marauder?
I was thinking of front and rear swaybars for my next mod, but if I can get rid of the gas pedal hesitation they can be put on hold for now.

Blackened300a
04-16-2005, 07:24 AM
It was Said that machineing to the intake had to be done and a modification to the idle sensor. What type of machining and what do I have to do with the sensor to make this work on my N/A MM?
Thanks!

Smokie
04-16-2005, 07:54 AM
Needless to say I’m not racing on a full tank of gas. :up:On a 85*/81% humidity, best of 14 runs.

14.528 @ 97.25-- 60' 2.272. Driver 130 lbs, my wife.

14.637 @ 96.17-- 60' 2.230. Driver 220 lbs (me) rider 210 lbs, my nephew.

The extra 300 pounds didn't really amount to much difference....don't let a little extra fuel keep you from having fun....:D Congratulations on your mod. let us know how it goes at the track.

MI2QWK4U
04-16-2005, 02:29 PM

John,
I am a believer now in the Accufab and the Kooks! They put me well over 500 at the wheels! Feels great...
Dave

FordNut
04-17-2005, 08:55 AM
It was Said that machineing to the intake had to be done and a modification to the idle sensor. What type of machining and what do I have to do with the sensor to make this work on my N/A MM?
Thanks!
The center divider between the throttle body bores is also present on the intake manifold. That has to be cut out. The air pickup for the IAC system is also picked up there and cutting the center section out will mess that up. There is a Cobra version IAC system that can be retrofitted to fix that issue but I'm not really familiar with the details.

I went with a BBK twin 62mm but even with that the intake needs mods for the best results since the openings are sized for the OEM twin 57mm throttle body.

Donny Carlson
04-17-2005, 03:32 PM
The center divider between the throttle body bores is also present on the intake manifold. That has to be cut out. The air pickup for the IAC system is also picked up there and cutting the center section out will mess that up. There is a Cobra version IAC system that can be retrofitted to fix that issue but I'm not really familiar with the details.

I went with a BBK twin 62mm but even with that the intake needs mods for the best results since the openings are sized for the OEM twin 57mm throttle body.
That's if you are installing the Accufab onto a stock intake. Trilogy owners have the upper intake replaced with the Trilogu kit intake, which does not have the separation and allows for a direct bolt up of the Accufab.

This is a shot of Legal Knevil's intake, which has been modified to fit an Accufab single blade TB, and has the IAC modification.
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/1136DSC01346.JPG

Joe Walsh
04-17-2005, 07:13 PM

I've measured the OEM bores on my intake manifold and they are 60mm...
Are you 'port matching' the bores to fit your 62mm BBK??
Did you just bolt on the BBK??

FordNut
04-17-2005, 08:43 PM
I've measured the OEM bores on my intake manifold and they are 60mm...
Are you 'port matching' the bores to fit your 62mm BBK??
Did you just bolt on the BBK??
Yep, they're just a little bit bigger than the OEM throttle body bores. I had them opened up to be just a little bigger than the ones on the BBK. This is on a spare intake I purchased for porting work. The lower is out to Hensler Racing for porting right now, I should have it back any day now. I'll have some thermal coatings put on them before installing, then we'll see if intake porting helps on the N/A motors. For now, I just have the BBK bolted to the stock intake and it's working just fine.

Joe Walsh
04-18-2005, 08:13 AM
Yep, they're just a little bit bigger than the OEM throttle body bores. I had them opened up to be just a little bigger than the ones on the BBK. This is on a spare intake I purchased for porting work. The lower is out to Hensler Racing for porting right now, I should have it back any day now. I'll have some thermal coatings put on them before installing, then we'll see if intake porting helps on the N/A motors. For now, I just have the BBK bolted to the stock intake and it's working just fine.

Are you having the lower intake hand ported or Exrude-honed?

The reason I ask is because I had my intake Extrude-honed and it looks great....Only one problem...
The lower intake's ports are now larger than the cylinder head intake ports, especially on the outside edges of each port.
I've modified my intake gaskets and now I'm port matching the cylinder heads.
The outside edge of the cylinder head's intake port sticks out like a sharp edge into the flow stream of air... :(
I'm so glad that I didn't just bolt on my Extrude-honed intake manifold and assume everything is 'OK'.

FordNut
04-18-2005, 08:41 AM
Are you having the lower intake hand ported or Exrude-honed?

The reason I ask is because I had my intake Extrude-honed and it looks great....Only one problem...
The lower intake's ports are now larger than the cylinder head intake ports, especially on the outside edges of each port.
I've modified my intake gaskets and now I'm port matching the cylinder heads.
The outside edge of the cylinder head's intake port sticks out like a sharp edge into the flow stream of air... :(
I'm so glad that I didn't just bolt on my Extrude-honed intake manifold and assume everything is 'OK'.
Hand ported by Hensler Racing. I tried to contact several people that can do it, but nobody else even gave me the consideration of a reply. He matches it to the intake gaskets, so they should match the head ports pretty good. I'll see this evening, it arrived today.