PDA

View Full Version : New personal best at a price...

CRUZTAKER
07-16-2004, 07:44 PM
Well, I decided to sow the oats at Dragway42 tonight....
I ran a 13.524 at 102.28 but the nagging rear end finally bit the dust.

I no longer have the trac loc, ie. both wheels no longer spin. It was occational, now it's consistant. Spectators brought it to my attention all evening, and I could start to feel it myself in the burn out box.

Lidio mentioned a better rear end being available...one I won't break. I need it, and like soon.

Does anyone know how to contact Lid over the weekend?

I have an appointment to iron out some things on Thursday the 22nd, now I would like to beg for an additional day to get a new rear end if possible, and stay overnight an additional day.

MI2QWK4U
07-16-2004, 07:54 PM
Yep, It happens, the factory Posi sucks and is not heavy duty at all. I replaced mine when folks informed me of uneven burnouts. Lidio installed my new gears and an Eaton Posi when mine went.

MARAUDER S/C #5
07-16-2004, 07:55 PM
Damn Barry, you need to stop beating the crap out of your car. :(

CRUZTAKER
07-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Hey Dave...are you able to inform Lidio tomorrow? They don't answer phones on Saturdays, and I really wanted to touch base, order the Eaton posi, and have it installed as well.

BTW: Thanks for your quick reply!

MI2QWK4U
07-16-2004, 08:12 PM
Anything for you Barry, I hate having a car thats less than 100% as well. You will be here next thursday? I will see Lidio tomorrow, he tracked down the gremlin in my trans. I swear, Lid is a *****ing genius when it comes down to troublshooting, I watched him track down an irritating and power robbing glitch in my trans, by driving, diagnosing, listening, using some old school gauges and stuff, and plain old seat of the pants experience. The bottom line, a faulty intermittant solinoid. Lidio's personal opinion is that my Marauder is running stronger than it ever has before. That is good news with Indy coming up. I will ask him if he can squeeze in your posi thursday when you are in town. I may have him order me the throttle body after JET's review! Let me know if I can help in any way when you hit town.

CRUZTAKER
07-16-2004, 08:37 PM
Thank you Dave...:bows:

Hopefully he has time...hoping...hoping...

As far as the TB, I had hoped it would be something for me as well...but not till the S/C goes in. I am pleased you folks have found more go fast mods as well. I like reading of all the s/c adventures. Sometimes I close my eyes and make believe it's me...:rolleyes:

I have considered bigger injectors however, but that's probably another pipe dream!

As far as this Eaton posi, is it really as solid as everyone claims? And what are the possibilities of tearing that one up as well?

GordonB
07-16-2004, 08:49 PM
cruztaker,
Just call Lidio/Alternative Performance on Saturday and leave him a message -- tell him what you need and ask him to call you back or Page You when he has time -- he will. He called me back on Sat. after I left him a message. He is a good guy.
GordonB

FiveO
07-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Great times Cruz....very nice :up:

Question: How much is this Eatlon Posi? Install time?

CRUZTAKER
07-16-2004, 08:55 PM
From my understanding, the Eaton is QUITE affordable...it's the labor I'm worried about.:P

MARAUDER S/C #5
07-16-2004, 09:00 PM
cruztaker,
Just call Lidio/Alternative Performance on Saturday and leave him a message -- tell him what you need and ask him to call you back or Page You when he has time -- he will. He called me back on Sat. after I left him a message. He is a good guy.
GordonB
Definitely :up:

MI2QWK4U
07-16-2004, 09:07 PM
As far as this Eaton posi, is it really as solid as everyone claims? And what are the possibilities of tearing that one up as well?

Lidio has had an Eaton Posi for a while like I have, they are quiet and sturdy. I have learned by now if Lid goes with something, its probably a good call. He picks what works, end of story. You don't get a good rep by boning people over or selling junk, which does happen, believe it or not!

JET
07-16-2004, 09:08 PM
Great time but I'm sorry to hear about the rear. i have one on order as of Tuesday. I have 47,000 on mine how many miles do you have?

CRUZTAKER
07-16-2004, 09:17 PM
20,500 miles...but the real fun started this spring, guess I had too much fun!

Lidio
07-16-2004, 10:33 PM
The Eaton posi's have been very good to us for over three years now. I've had one in my MM for only a few weeks but I know how good they work. They're tighter then stock and seem to hold up longer in a drag envitoment. Plus their rebuildable if needed, but so far we've not needed to rebuild any yet in the many Mustangs we've installed them into.

Thanks

TooManyFords
07-17-2004, 05:51 AM
Lidio, have you played with any of the Electric lockers like the Electrac or the Eaton E-Locker yet? I would think one of these would be ideal for the weekend warrior who doesn't want to worry about burning out the limited slip clutch packs. Flip a switch and it turns into a full axle lock spool.

I'm leaning this direction and towards the Electrac because Tractech makes the Detroit Locker. Brand loyalty!

john

MikesMerc
07-17-2004, 06:32 AM

As Lid said, the Eaton is a excellent replacement. It'll withstand much more abuse. You'll be pleased.

In fact, my Eaton is going in next week along with the 4.10s. My current rear end is fine, but I'm doing preventative work while Lidio is "in there" for the gear swap.

(and if all goes well, my exhaust will be installed next week too)!

I'm sure Lidio can fit you in Barry!

Zack
07-17-2004, 09:14 AM
Barry, buy a new diff with 31 splines and chuck your axles in favor of the 31 spline limosine axles.
You will never break that setup.

hitchhiker
07-17-2004, 09:27 AM
Barry, buy a new diff with 31 splines and chuck your axles in favor of the 31 spline limosine axles.
You will never break that setup.I think I see another popular mod coming...Limo Rear End and 31 Spline Axles and 410 gears!

Dealer, do you have part numbers and a price on these?

Thanks,

David

Lidio
07-17-2004, 03:25 PM
I haven’t played with electronic diffs yet because until recently they where either a full open diff when not electronically locked, or locked solid like a spool when turned on. This to me didn’t seem right for a street car or mild street/strip car. It would seem that every time you wanted to “get on it” you’d have to think about it and flick a switch.

“Traction lock” type…. typical posi’s are great because when rounding a corner or some thing of that nature, your not dealing with a wide open diff and just spinning the inside tire with ease and your not dealing with an axle twisting spool (if its locked) when rounding a corner either.

I have recently heard that there are traction lock type/clutch posi’s that are a normal posi and with a switch they turn into a spool… This is defiantly cool if they live and are all their cracked up to be. You’d have a great, tight clutch type posi (I’m assuming) for every day conditions like we’re already used to and then flick the switch for a spool effect. The beauty of this is that most posi’s in a drag environment get reuned and wore the most when you do poor, one leger burn outs. This is why we’ve learned over the years that stock traction lock posi’s in the Mustangs and other Fords seem to be worn or not tight any more after about 15K miles. Its not the racing I think that kills the posi’s… it’s the winter and slippery conditions where one tire has no traction spinning away and the other just sits still. This one leger action is what kills most axle posi units. So if you switch it into a spool when racing and its locked, obviously there’s no chance the clutch part of it wont get hurt in a bad burn-out or some thing like that.

I know there are a couple new posi’s on the market that might have been mentioned here that are locking posi’s. This is worth looking into if their living in reasonably powerful cars.

As far as the 31 spline axles go, here is my take on this. Zack is right, 31spline axles are tougher and are a direct replacement if you buy a 31spline posi of some kind. So other then the cost of the axles it’s basically cheap to do if your going to buy a posi any way. But I’ve learned over the years that AUTOMATIC equipped drag raced Fords never seem to break the stock 28 spline axles even when they go as fast as mid tens in the quarter mile. No matter what you do the torque converter can’t seem to shock the axles hard enough to worry about it. On the other hand a Stick shift Mustang with reasonably good traction will snap a 28 spline axle when capable of only mid 12s or slower in the ¼ mile. I’d say that if you can get the 31 spline axles and you don’t mind the couple of extra bucks… go for it but my self with my MM and the Trilogy crowd up until now haven’t really thought about it much… the stock axle so far have been good to us. Although now that I said that I’m sure I’ll break an axle at the IMOA in a couple of weeks :o

Thanks

M-75
07-17-2004, 04:26 PM
burned up my diff long time ago and i replaced everything with upgrade stuff here. i got the limo axles, bearings and all that on ford's ticket because of their tsb on rear end stuff (03-05-55) i added frp rnp in 4:10, and other exotic stuff like stud kit, girdle, and a diff fluid cooler and temp meter too. whole nine yards now, right? never wanna have to do this again. but i went with the auburn because its everything eaton, plus auburn will rebuild my diff anytime for 80 bucks if i pay shipping.

i'm not up to speed on this new "push a button, it's a spool" posi stuff so don't dis me and i won't diss it yet. but, seems a bit off the main strip, right? Some test and tune on this is needed.

limos get 31 spline stuff? really? been pouring over all the fmc part numbers, can't seem to find 31 spline stuff for the panther platform anywhere. i had to take the 28 spline offered, or call moser for a custom build.

looking back, and adding stuff up now, if you don't have a manual tranny in your marauder, 31 spline and it's upgrade cost is overkill.

CRUZTAKER
07-17-2004, 05:44 PM
Thank you everyone!

And particularly thank you Lidio for getting me scheduled for next Wed./Thur for an Eaton-28 install and a very upclose & personal tune.:up:

Of course this is contingent on the supplier having one in stock, but I am keeping my hopes up for that as well.

I would also like to add that the folks at Alternative Automotive are truley pleasant, helpfull, and fastidious far beyond one might expect from a 'shop'.

MI2QWK4U
07-17-2004, 05:54 PM
Thank you everyone!

And particularly thank you Lidio for getting me scheduled for next Wed./Thur for an Eaton-28 install and a very upclose & personal tune.:up:

Of course this is contingent on the supplier having one in stock, but I am keeping my hopes up for that as well.

I would also like to add that the folks at Alternative Automotive are truley pleasant, helpfull, and fastidious far beyond one might expect from a 'shop'.

Yep. I trust no one else to work on my ride, and haven't recommended anyone else for performance work in 15 years. We just stop in for lunch every other day and hang out! Barry, if you want to influence Lidio, offer to take him to KFC!

CRUZTAKER
07-21-2004, 08:32 PM
New Auburn High performance LSD installed, looks like I am back in bussiness.:rock:

MI2QWK4U
07-21-2004, 08:35 PM
New Auburn High performance LSD installed, looks like I am back in bussiness.:rock:

Well, how is the ride after the tune?!

CRUZTAKER
07-21-2004, 08:50 PM
It will take some more city driving to get used to it, as this (tune) is a very new feeling. I miss some of the old program, yet love some of the new.

I'll know by Indy, that's for sure. I am gonna run it Friday and see if the E/T's improve.