PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket or Dealer add in shock sensor/alarm?

DougKing77
01-10-2003, 09:04 PM
Does anyone know if Mercury or an aftermarket company makes a drop in shock/glassbreak sensor that will arm and disarm an alarm with the stock remote?

Also, my dealer told me that the Marauder comes stock with an alarm that will go off if the doors are opened after they have been locked for 2 minutes. I can't seem to get this to work. Am I missing something?

Finally, are the brakes supposed to automatically release after you put the car in drive? My old Grand Marquee did this but my Marauder does not, even though the manual says it is supposed to. Then again, the manual shows a remote fuel door release as well as a clock in the middle of the dash and I don't have either.

Thanks for the info.

Marauderman
01-10-2003, 09:27 PM
Hi DougKing77- Welcome aboard!

Haven't really tried what you stated but will --but my Vic , at a stop--pushed in emergency brake ( to keep foot of brake) turn gear to netural and return gear to drive( brake auto releases) and off we go..
is that what you mean.. again --welcome to a great membership of peole who are here to help- with alot of information

Murader03
01-11-2003, 06:19 AM
Doug! Okay, where did they hide your clock? Mine's in the middle of the trim panel under the radio. My feul door release is in the drivers side lower door panel nest to the trunk release. Did you buy a fluke of production? Just kiddin!

FordNut
01-11-2003, 07:11 AM
You can test the alarm easily by doing this:
1. From the inside, open the driver's door (or both doors, this part doesn't matter)
2. Lock the doors with the door switch on the driver's door. I suppose the fob button will work ok also.
3. Unlock the passenger's door with the door handle (not the button, that will re-disarm the system). Get out.
4. Close both doors. The driver's door is locked, alarm is activated, and passenger's door unlocked. Wait a couple of minutes.
5. Open the passenger's door from the outside. Alarm should go off.

This sequence inadvertently happens to me lots of times when I get out faster than my wife, locking the door before she has even opened her door yet.

This works on my other cars with factory Ford alarms, I haven't verified it on the MM yet but it should be the same. So, the alarm system activates on door openings if the alarm has not been turned off but it has no shock sensors that would set it off in the case of shock from breaking a window or such (I've had that happen to one of my other cars and no alarm went off).

I don't know if shock sensors can be added.

tomd
01-11-2003, 01:39 PM
I also have a clock, below the radio and above the Heat/AC pannel Your (parking) brakes should release automatically when you put it in drive.

schuvwj
01-11-2003, 04:53 PM
Doug, I had my MM on ramps today adjusting the rear air bags and when I put it in "D" the parking brake released automatically.

RCSignals
01-12-2003, 12:48 AM
DougKing77

The Emergency brake release, fuel door release, and dash clock were "decontented" from "Job 2" Crown Victoria's and some if not all of the Grand Marquis, but from what I can tell from the order guides, and even the draft 2004 order guide, the Marauder should still have the brake release and fuel door release. not sure about the center clock as the radio has a clock.
Does the center dash piece have an area for a clock?

FordNut
01-12-2003, 05:47 AM
More alarm comments:
I locked the Marauder and activated the alarm with the trunk open. A few minutes later, I shut the trunk lid. No alarm went off so there apparently are not any shock sensors on the car. If I do this on the LS the alarm goes off, so there are some sort of shock sensors on it. So, just maybe a shock sensor from the LS could be added to the MM.

DougKing77
01-12-2003, 06:30 PM
Nope- There is not even a cutout for the clock in the dash. Really annonying to me as you don't always get the clock readout if you are using some menus on the radio.
I am going to drop the Marauder by the dealer on Tues or Wed to find out why the alarm and the brake release are not working. I also found some sort of sealer tar trapped between the AC tinting and the windshield. I sure hope they can just replace the tinting and don't have to replace the windshield to fix this. It looks as if the tar got on the windshield during production and they didn't catch it when the put the tinting "dots" in the windshield.
I will also ask about the shock sensor on Crown Vics and see if he can get me a part number for the sensor if it exists.
Speaking of parts, has anyone ordered the Helm service manual for this car? Is is specifically for the Marauder? I have ordered one in the past for my Grand Marquee but it was so generic (Crown Vic's and Towncars were also included) that is was of limited use. If the book is JUST for Marauders I might spend the 100 bucks for it. Thanks for all of the help in the replies.

Doug

Ken
01-12-2003, 07:11 PM
Doug, What AC tinting are you referring to? Any tint is between the two pieces of glass, the dots that you are referring to are installed at the glass factory. The "sealer tar" is the Urethane that holds the windshield in place. The Urethane needs an application of MEK primer around the edge of the windshield, that etchs the glass, and another application to the paint on the windshield flange, so that the Urethane bonds to the glass and the body after if dries. But it will only bond where there is MEK. So try rubbing that "sealer tar with your finger or a towel, popsicle stick, whatever is convenient and won't scratch anything. This "tar" is dry and will peel off anywhere that doesn't have any MEK. The windshield may have been replaced at the factory for whatever reason. (the best place to have a windshield replaced). You can even clean it up with the gentle use of a razor blade.
This was my job, installing windshields in the Econoline, for 10 1/2 years. I don't recommend replacing the windshield unless there is definitely something wrong, you'll never get that good of a fit and seal as from the factory, as well as damage to the paint, when removing windshield. Hope that this helps.
Ken

TAF
01-12-2003, 10:10 PM
Glad to have you aboard, Ken. There's experts all over this board. Maybe you could chime-in on the tint thread.

Doug, I don't know man. Sounds like your Marauder was built by that multi-color haired French broad from "Cloneaid". Missing clock stumps me. Maybe you should talk to the guy that got chrome accents instead of dot-matrix. Or the guy who had miss-matched taillights. You guys can start your own "fringe club".

Good luck with the fix from the dealer.

03 Merc
01-13-2003, 07:53 AM
Doug,

As far as a shop manual goes you might want to check out the Ford DVD's for sale on e-bay. I got the factory DVD, with all models 98-03, for about a $100.00. The older you get the cheaper they are but make sure it is September 03 or later so it will have the MM... Or you can order direct from Helm Inc.

RCSignals
01-13-2003, 05:27 PM
right now Jan '03 DVDs are showing up on eBay. Just make sure you are bidding on an original, not a pirated copy.

Mark McQuaide
01-13-2003, 06:06 PM
The brochure for the MM has the clock, etc as part of the standard equipment included in the purchase price. I'd be at the dealer raising holy h*ll if they were missing from my car.

RCSignals
01-14-2003, 07:45 PM
Here is a link to the current order guide used by dealers. As i read it all that stuff should be on the Marauder.
Guides for the CV and Grand Marquis specifically list what has been "decontented"

https://web.msslib2.dealerconnection.c om/RightSite/getcontent/myfile.pdf?DMW_OBJECTID=09000c 588032e873

DougKing77
01-14-2003, 08:56 PM
Well, I am not a happy camper. The dealer is now telling me that the Marauder does not have an alarm OR automatic brake release. :mad: I'm gonna print out the product guide that RCSignals posted to see if this matches what the dealer is saying. One would think that Mercury would ADD an alarm and other features on a 35K car, not remove them. :rolleyes: I plan to research this further. It is very interesting the clock is still listed on the 2004 Order Draft guide. I did notice on my Invoice sticker that I have a 300B Marauder and the earlier units were a 300A. The only difference I can see on the stickers between a 300B and 300A is that the B has a switch to enable the traction control to be manually disabled. I also noticed that there is a cutout for a remote fuel door switch in the door next to the trunk release but a there is a plastic plug where the switch would normally be.

I will try to post a copy of the window sticker once I can find out how to send attachments to a post. I downloaded it off the Mercuryvehicles website when I was searching for a Marauder online.

They are also waffling about the tar in the windshield. Said they needed to contact Mercury headquarters for further info. The tar seems to be "trapped" between the dots that form the AC "tinting", not just on the surface. I tried to scrape it gently with an eraser with no luck. I guess my car was made on a Monday morning. I may just live with the tar problem if they can't replace the tinting dots as I am really hesitant to have them replace the windshield after the earlier post about the paint damage, sealer problems, etc.

Doug

RCSignals
01-14-2003, 11:29 PM
for comparison, here is the 2003 Crown victoria Order guide which clearly shows the items "decontented" The Marauder guide shows the items still included.

https://web.msslib2.dealerconnection.c om/RightSite/getcontent/myfile.pdf?DMW_OBJECTID=09000c 5880345120

and here is the 2003 Grand Marquis Order guide

https://web.msslib2.dealerconnection.c om/RightSite/getcontent/myfile.pdf?DMW_OBJECTID=09000c 588032e870

If you compare all three, it certainly appears the Marauder was still supposed to have all that stuff.

Doug, does your car have the pockets on the front of the seats?

Bigdogjim
01-15-2003, 12:41 AM
DougKing77: Were and when did you buy your MM? I checked several MM in my area and they all have the things your missing. I admit that some sale people do not know much about the car. Most times in the dealership you can find help in parts or the service area. I am in Morrisville, Pa. about 30 north of Phila. on I-95. Just across the river from Trenton.
Good luck with your "quest"

Big Dog :rock:

MAD-3R
01-15-2003, 06:03 AM
I would start working the "Lemon" side of it.

DougKing77
01-19-2003, 09:25 PM
There ARE pockets on the front seat on the backside. As well as a huge piece of black plastic covering most of the back (where one would think leather would be). I also noticed some sort of suede cloth like material on the side of the seat where it curves around by the center storage console. Does everyone else have this as well or am I just lucky with this car?

Thanks for the posts with the order build info. In addition to being listed on the order list, I also noticed that the automatic brake release IS listed in the Marauder brochure I received from the dealer so it is either broken or was accidentally left out. I also have not heard back from the dealership about the tar on the windshield. I am going to give my sales rep a call. I am also curious about the missing clock and fuel door release as it seems everyone else has that on thier Marauders as well. I am assuming all Marauders are made at the same assembly plant.

I am also curious if anyone else has run into this experience. When I dropped the car off at the dealer last week to look at the windshield/ brake release/alarm problem, my sales rep said they could not provide me with a loaner car, as Mercury does not authorize this. :( I thought this rather strange on a new car I just bought 10 days ago from them. They eventually got embarrassed and gave me a new car to drive home, but I am concerned that if I have a warranty issue 6 weeks or 6 months from now if they are going to give me the same "loaner" line. Has anyone else run into this problem before? :confused:

RCSignals
01-19-2003, 09:33 PM
I don't think a loaner car is included as such, but for warranty issues dealers often provide one. It's basically a dealer courtesy.