PDA

View Full Version : replacing Magnaflows

darebren
07-21-2004, 09:59 AM
I might play with other mufflers for use in my Kooks header setup. Can someone tell me what inlet and outlet diameter the magnaflows that come from kooks are? and can anyone recommend a quieter muffler of good quality versus the straight through design of the magnaflows?

TAF
07-21-2004, 10:06 AM
I might play with other mufflers for use in my Kooks header setup. Can someone tell me what inlet and outlet diameter the magnaflows that come from kooks are? and can anyone recommend a quieter muffler of good quality versus the straight through design of the magnaflows?
I'll assume that the KOOKs come with 2 1/2" "lead-ins" into the Magnaflows from the X-pipe...and since they bolt right up to the OEM tailpipes...they'll be 2 1/4" out.

Straight through on the Magnaflows are MUCH quieter than baffled/chambered mufflers in my opinion. But...as we've said a thousand times here...what sounds "good' in an exhaust is relative to each persons ear/opinion. Good luck in your search...frankly, I think the magnaflows are perfect for our cars, and are whisper-quiet at idle/cruise...you only hear them when you get on it...maybe you had a crappy install? Are you getting drone? Or you just don't like the sound?

darebren
07-21-2004, 10:11 AM
I was thinking the sound at idle is good, but when driving, it is pretty loud both outside and inside the car.. I was wondering if trying a muffler with baffles would soften the note... or a longer muffler like a 20"

BillyGman
07-21-2004, 11:32 AM
I was thinking the sound at idle is good, but when driving, it is pretty loud both outside and inside the car.. I was wondering if trying a muffler with baffles would soften the note... or a longer muffler like a 20"

I've been told that the 22" mufflers which are the next step up in length for Magnaflows are too long and will not even fit properly where they need to be tucked in on a Marauder. You should call Nick at Kooks. I've always thought that the triple baffled mufflers that Magnaflow makes are probably quieter than their straight-thru design mufflers are. but you should ask Nick to be sure, or even Magnaflow themself.

johnjamis
07-22-2004, 05:31 AM
I have the Kooks headers/x-pipe/magnaflow/stock tailpipes. I agree that the magnaflow setup is a little loud for a family car. I am replacing the stock exhaust extensions with magnapack mufflers (#14494, 4" x 18" body) next week and will let you know if there is a significant difference. The stock extension will be cut off and tacked onto the new muffler to retain stock appearance.

M-75
07-22-2004, 01:49 PM
why not just return the stock mufflers? sure, you may drop a few points in power, but so what if noise if a concern. any other aftermarket muffler is still a gamble on sound, so, why not stick with what you know? they will be a quiet as you're going to hear, without significant power loss. i would send you mine for the cost of shipping, but i just threw them out last week. must be a lot of spares here, resonator tips too.

MikesMerc
07-22-2004, 02:43 PM
A perfect muffler for what you describe is the Flowmaster 3 chamber SUV muffler. This is what I'll be using with my Kooks and custom exhaust set up. They flow great and are significantly quieter than the Magnaflows.