PDA

View Full Version : Looking for "M" in VA Beach area for JLT intake test!

Tucker
07-23-2004, 03:27 AM
I've had great success with these intakes on the 96-04 Cobras and the 03,04 Mach 1, gaining as much as 16 RWHP/20 RWTQ and want to make them for the Marauder. They are plastic (best for heat transfere) and will be offered in black or any body color you wish. They will replace the factory intake from the throttle body to the filter (using your MAF).
I'm looking for a car stock or mostly stock with maybe exhaust/pulleys and bolt ons

I will need your car for a couple hours, maybe a couple times, or drop it off for a Saturday/Sunday. Then we will go to the dyno for a base line and intake test to see what kind of gains we can get with this mod.

I live in Great Bridge area of Chesapeake, VA.
I will pay for all dyno time and give you a great deal on the final product.

Please email if you are interested. Jay@jlttruecoldair.com (Jay@jlttruecoldair.com)
Please check out the web site for pics and info on what I have so far.
www.jlttruecoldair.com (http://www.jlttruecoldair.com/)
Thanks
Jay

rayjay
07-23-2004, 03:43 AM
Sorry I do not live close enough to VA to help, but would be very interested in the final product. Keep us appraised.

MARAUDER S/C #5
07-23-2004, 03:48 AM
I've had great success with these intakes on the 96-04 Cobras and the 03,04 Mach 1, gaining as much as 16 RWHP/20 RWTQ and want to make them for the Marauder. They are plastic (best for heat transfere) and will be offered in black or any body color you wish. They will replace the factory intake from the throttle body to the filter (using your MAF).
I'm looking for a car stock or mostly stock with maybe exhaust/pulleys and bolt ons

I will need your car for a couple hours, maybe a couple times, or drop it off for a Saturday/Sunday. Then we will go to the dyno for a base line and intake test to see what kind of gains we can get with this mod.

I live in Great Bridge area of Chesapeake, VA.
I will pay for all dyno time and give you a great deal on the final product.

Please email if you are interested. Jay@jlttruecoldair.com (Jay@jlttruecoldair.com)
Please check out the web site for pics and info on what I have so far.
www.jlttruecoldair.com (http://www.jlttruecoldair.com/)
Thanks
Jay

Are you a supporting vendor of this site?

Tucker
07-23-2004, 04:02 AM
Not yet, but If I come up with a product that you guys can use I will.
I'm not selling anything in this post, so I hope it can stay.
I have been contacted by some of the members here to do a kit for the Marauder. I figured this is the best way to get it done ASAP.
Again, this is not a "for sale" post. Just trying to get info and a car.
Thanks
Jay

MARAUDER S/C #5
07-23-2004, 04:36 AM
:up: :coolman:

merc
07-23-2004, 05:40 AM
How long will you need the car ?

Logan
07-23-2004, 05:43 AM
Yep, this is fine. I ain't here to prevent innovation...

MainEngDwarf
07-23-2004, 08:11 AM
I visit Va beach several times a year and am planning a trip within the next couple of months, and can give up the car for a few days. If that works for you let me know.

Tucker
07-23-2004, 02:14 PM
How long will you need the car ?
Test fit should be about a couple hours or less and the dyno is usually about 1.5-2 hours testing.
I'll need a day or so in between to get the kit made and painted.
I'm pretty flexable as the time goes. I do work a full time day job, but can get time off here and there to meet up.

Thanks
Jay

Tucker
07-23-2004, 02:18 PM
Sorry I do not live close enough to VA to help, but would be very interested in the final product. Keep us appraised.Where in "Upstate" are you? I'm from Scotia-Glenville (Saratoga area)originally, now in VA.
I'll be up there in Sept. If I get this done, I'll bring you one!:beer:

Brutus
07-23-2004, 03:54 PM
I may be able to help. Only about 2 hrs away. It would have to be after MVII though and on weekends.

rayjay
07-23-2004, 04:36 PM
Where in "Upstate" are you? I'm from Scotia-Glenville (Saratoga area)originally, now in VA.
I'll be up there in Sept. If I get this done, I'll bring you one!:beer:Thanks for the offer, but I'm about 2 hrs+ from Saratoga. I'm off Rt 26, about 3 miles south of US20, midway between Syracuse and Utica. Dairy farm/hill/snow country...

MainEngDwarf
07-24-2004, 09:31 AM
Hi Tucker
I won't be back to Va Beach till the 2nd week in Sept. I'm from Oswego, ny about 45 north of Syracuse, let me know next time your in the area. If Sept works for you let me know. I'm interested in seeing what you got.

rayjay
07-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Hi Tucker
I'm from Oswego, ny about 45 north of Syracuse.Hey neighbor, nice to hear there is someone else from CNY on here. I lived/worked up there in the late 70's early 80's. Very nice area, only left due to a promotion. Have fun at Harbor Fest. I'll be at Fulton Speedway tonight for the sprint car show.:rock:

MainEngDwarf
07-24-2004, 12:48 PM
Thanks Rayjay I will have fun. I've been here 2 years and this is the first harborfest I didn't have to work during. I'm really looking forward to the fireworks. We'll have to get together sometime and compare Marauder notes.

Tucker
07-30-2004, 07:30 PM
Well, I'm doing a test fit tomorrow on a local M. I hope to do a before and after dyno test this coming week.

If all goes well I ecpect 10-15 RWHP and 10-20 RWTQ.
We'll see.
I'll post pics soon.

Tucker
08-01-2004, 12:48 PM
I did a test fit and drive this weekend. Definite power felt by car owner.
Because this is basicly a 01 Cobra motor with the intake on the other side, the RAI similar to the Cobra fits.
The pipe is a couple inches longer and it uses a different elbow then the 01, but works great.

We will be dyno testing this kit this week. Please stay tuned!

FiveO
08-01-2004, 12:59 PM
:up:

Great news....!

rayjay
08-01-2004, 08:05 PM
Keep the news coming, I know 1st hand what just a decent CAI did for my Focus ZX3. :rock:

Tucker
08-05-2004, 06:14 PM
Sorry for the delay. Trying to get me, the car owner and the dyno shop to come up with a good time for us all. It looks like it will be Tuesday sometime.

The guys at the shop are in Bristol for Fun Ford. So as soon as they return I will get the results.
Is there any interest out there??? I hoping for 10-15 RWHP and 10-15 RWTQ and only be about $130.
Let me know.
:beer:

rayjay
08-06-2004, 05:53 AM
still interested.

Ross
08-06-2004, 07:15 AM
Yeah, if this actually works, and the guys at K&N have never followed up on their CAI, and for that price, I could easily be in for one. Let's get that dyno done! BTW, is the MM that you are testing one that belongs to someone on this site? Anyone want to confess?

Tucker
08-06-2004, 02:33 PM
Yeah, if this actually works, and the guys at K&N have never followed up on their CAI, and for that price, I could easily be in for one. Let's get that dyno done! BTW, is the MM that you are testing one that belongs to someone on this site? Anyone want to confess?I don't think he is. I'll ask him to join and introduce him self. The car is all stock with 30,000 miles.
Again sorry for the delay. Tuesday for sure!

Badger
08-10-2004, 10:30 AM
...goes down to Norfolk on a monthly basis. When I do...I need the car to do my work. After hours I would be available. I will drop you a line the next jaunt down there.

BruteForce
08-10-2004, 10:58 AM
Any pictures of the intake assembly?

Tucker
08-10-2004, 03:15 PM
Sorry guys, AGAIN. :(

We went to dyno the car and the dyno was down. The minute the car left we got it up and running again.
I will do everything I can to get this done tomorrow. I'll have pics, graphs and video.
Sorry for the delay.:bows:

Tucker
08-13-2004, 03:34 PM
It's done here's a link to the results:

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/showthread.php?p=134671#post13 4671

merc
08-13-2004, 07:13 PM
Well Tucker I have had this type of Cold Air Kit for almost a year. I have not had the results that you demonstrated on the Dyno nor the track. Tomorrow I will be using the factory air box at the track, and then switch to a 12’ conical air filter after 5 runs each. On this site there has been many discussions concerning, ram air, cold air, compared to O.E.M design. We are all waiting for the best approach to this issue.

FiveO
08-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Well Tucker I have had this type of Cold Air Kit for almost a year. I have not had the results that you demonstrated on the Dyno nor the track. Tomorrow I will be using the factory air box at the track, and then switch to a 12’ conical air filter after 5 runs each. On this site there has been many discussions concerning, ram air, cold air, compared to O.E.M design. We are all waiting for the best approach to this issue.

If you're using the stock tube then thats the problem....air restriction.

Anything that restricts the air movement will hinder the intake....just my opinion and observations of course.

The Metco tube, smooth, should provide some improvements. Just like the tube that Tucker seems to have...a smooth tube.

Its not just about the KN style filter....although that helps.

Any other insights...I may be wrong. I'm just guessing that the stock intake tube restricts movement with the "ribs"....

FiveO
08-13-2004, 07:27 PM
And at $130....not bad.

Thanks for the info, update and work Tucker!

merc
08-13-2004, 07:34 PM

Anything that restricts the air movement will hinder the intake....just my opinion and observations of course.

The Metco tube, smooth, should provide some improvements. Just like the tube that Tucker seems to have...a smooth tube.

Its not just about the KN style filter....although that helps.

Any other insights...I may be wrong. I'm just guessing that the stock intake tube restricts movement with the "ribs"....

You could be right, but I don't have the cash this week for the metco tube. :rasta:

Tucker
08-14-2004, 04:41 AM

I'm just guessing that the stock intake tube restricts movement with the "ribs"....My thinking too. Plus the one thing I try to offer is being different. Adding color to the under hood area. I have about every Ford color and then some. I will be doing some in the Red and Silver of the 04's. Color is $15 more.

merc
08-14-2004, 08:15 PM
I returned from the track today and used the O.E.M air box and the conical 12’ air filter. If there is a gain I didn’t find it in the numbers. I ran a 13.58 in O.E.M box and stock filter. An hour later I ran a 13.48 using the conical filter. You could say that there was a performance gain between runs, but it’s very hard to judge the numbers because they are based on many factors other the A/F mixtures. I love the more refined look of your kit and cost. :rock:

Tucker
08-15-2004, 05:01 AM
I returned from the track today and used the O.E.M air box and the conical 12’ air filter. If there is a gain I didn’t find it in the numbers. I ran a 13.58 in O.E.M box and stock filter. An hour later I ran a 13.48 using the conical filter. You could say that there was a performance gain between runs, but it’s very hard to judge the numbers because they are based on many factors other the A/F mixtures. I love the more refined look of your kit and cost. :rock:Was there a mph difference?
.1 of a second for just a filter swap isn't bad, but we all want more. Plus it's hard to track test small HP/TQ increases because there are too many variables. Launch, tire spin, manual shifting at the exact same time or leaving it in "D".

I do think loosing the stock upper tubing for a larger ans smoother set up is the ticket. You could use your MAF adaptor and filter and just get the upper set up from me. I sell it all seperate for guys like yourself who have parts already.
Upper from TB to MAF is $75 in black.

rayjay
08-15-2004, 06:10 AM
Tucker, is your tube the same length as the OEM tube?

Tucker
08-15-2004, 07:39 AM
I don't know for sure. I don't think it's exactly the same.

I made it long enough to fit the filter behind the headlight, with a couple inches to spare.

Tucker
08-20-2004, 07:51 PM
Wow, no one want a intake?:confused:

teamrope
08-20-2004, 10:48 PM
Your best bet to make sales is to get with Logan, and become a suporting vendor. Theads have a tendancy to get lost on the radar screen, Forums stay up front so to speak.

I just got back from Indy, where I spent in the ball park of 3K + for mods.
Right now I need to apply the brakes to the checkbook to recover. I am intrested, but I will have to wait till the budget allows it.

BK_GrandMarquis
08-21-2004, 01:44 AM
Wow, no one want a intake?:confused:
I'd like one but the Marauder and Grand Marquis have different throttle bodies.

:(

Petrograde
09-28-2004, 03:40 PM
OK, first,.. what exactly does your kit consist of? It's kinda hard to tell. Is it just the tube and optional MAF adapter?

I would be interested to see if your tube will fit on my PHP Air Box...
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/503/1111PHP_Air_Box_3.jpg

and what exactly is the MAF adapter for? ..I assume for aftermarket MAFs?

Thanks!

Tucker
09-28-2004, 06:32 PM
OK, first,.. what exactly does your kit consist of? It's kinda hard to tell. Is it just the tube and optional MAF adapter?

Thanks!Im not sure if it would bolt up the your PHP. Maybe with some triming or something.
The kit is:
Elbow at TB
4"id pipe
Reducing coupler at MAF
Maf adaptor ( bolts to MAF to use clamp on filter )
9" S&B Powerstack filter
$130 in black and $145 in color.
Thanks

CRUZTAKER
09-28-2004, 06:35 PM

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/503/1111PHP_Air_Box_3.jpg

Thanks!Ditto here, I have the same setup as Tom above. I would like a smooth tube as well, without the high cost of the other one offered by another vendor here.

Let us know, cause they will sell at the price you quoted...and sell fast!

PM me with an office phone number so that I may call you and clear a few things up. I'll be your test bunny as far as the tube only is concerned. I will post pics and results immediately for the group to see.

Tucker
09-28-2004, 06:45 PM
With out having one right in front of me it's hard to say.
I would be willing to send one for you to try and if it's a no go I'll take it back. If it fits, just tell us what you had to do.
How's that sound?

It looks close!

CRUZTAKER
09-28-2004, 07:02 PM
That's a deal man. If it fits I'll buy it. If it doesn't, we work on making it fit one way or another.:D
There are quite a few of us with this setup. If all else fails and I cannot draw up measurements or make the neccesary changes safely to make it fit, I store the car by mid October, I will remove the entire intake setup and ship it to YOU to make safe changes.
I will send you a PM with my address.

Can't wait!

Brutus
09-29-2004, 05:19 AM
What colors will you offer and is the colors available for the couplers, the tube or both??

Thanks

Tucker
09-29-2004, 06:43 PM
What colors will you offer and is the colors available for the couplers, the tube or both??

ThanksMost all Ford colors. I can do anything you want as long as I get a paint code. Custom colors will be more.
Just the pipe gets color.
Thanks
Jay

CRUZTAKER
10-03-2004, 01:37 PM
I recieved a sample product piece today.

For those of us with the PHP kit, as all we needed is the tube assy., therefore this is what I test fitted.
Some minor (length) issues need to be addressed regarding the either one of these 3 pieces: Elbow at TB, 4"id pipe, or Reducing coupler at MAF. It appears as though the reducer is the easiest to lengthen as is has already been shortened by prior trimming. Easy fix.

There is also an issue with the (JLT) tube assembly and the PHP with oem MAF assy. being 'out of skew'. They don't quite meet each other at the connection. The way I found to fix that mate is to loosen the PHP lower metal body bolts and slide the box left. This means the predrilled hole in the PHP base no longer lines up with the car body oem hole/nut location.
Again, easy fix, (if one is willing to goof with redrilling a hole in the base).

With the 'out of skew issue corrected, there came another issue. May or may not be unique to me, but the dip stick now rests upon the JLT 4"id pipe. I would need to loosen the nuts that secure the dipstick tube assy. and try to swing/move it away from the tube about 1/4 inch or better.

Unfortunately I am leaving town again and won't be back till the Norwalk event on the 11th.
No updates till some time after. I will leave a message with Tucker...I believe he is on vacation...?

Petrograde
10-03-2004, 05:46 PM
...snip...

For those of us with the PHP kit, as all we needed is the tube assy.,

Barry,... you da man! I can't wait to hear how it works out,... I may be right behind ya!

FiveO
10-08-2004, 07:29 PM
I'm ordering one of these from Tucker also.

My Metco tube should be for sale very soon. Someone's got first dibs on it but if they don't want it....I'll let it go cheaper than new (and its only been on a month).

Disclaimer: I'm not unhappy with the Metco CF tube...but it doesn't fit the Trilogy kit as well as I'd hoped. Its close....but it requires some constant tweaking.

Tucker
10-10-2004, 07:44 PM
Group buy starts tomorrow guys.

FiveO
10-10-2004, 08:45 PM
Calling ya in the morning Tucker!

CRUZTAKER
10-12-2004, 06:14 PM
Hey Tucker, nice to see you are back. I unfortunately am on the road again. Will you please PM me with your telephone number so that I may call you?

I may be interested in the tube assy. if the price is right. Have you decided upon a price for the tube only? That is, once the length is adjusted.

Tucker
10-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Hey Tucker, nice to see you are back. I unfortunately am on the road again. Will you please PM me with your telephone number so that I may call you?

I may be interested in the tube assy. if the price is right. Have you decided upon a price for the tube only? That is, once the length is adjusted.The kit is $75.
I'm having a GP now so there will be 10% off if paid by 10/24.

CRUZTAKER
10-13-2004, 11:04 AM
Thanks man.

We still need to 'land-line' talk in regards to the fit for the PHP cold air kit.

Tucker
10-13-2004, 02:15 PM
Thanks man.

We still need to 'land-line' talk in regards to the fit for the PHP cold air kit.Call me any time.
757 335 1940

Mike M
10-15-2004, 01:37 PM
Well what is this worth on a normally aspirated Marauder? I know on a supercharged setup it could be worth 20+ HP but whats it worth on a non supercharged deal???

FiveO
10-15-2004, 02:26 PM
Well what is this worth on a normally aspirated Marauder? I know on a supercharged setup it could be worth 20+ HP but whats it worth on a non supercharged deal???
Check the first page...theres a before and after dyno sheet.

Tucker
10-15-2004, 02:30 PM
Well what is this worth on a normally aspirated Marauder? I know on a supercharged setup it could be worth 20+ HP but whats it worth on a non supercharged deal???Test was done on a N/A Maruader.
Where did it say S/C?

Mike M
10-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Test was done on a N/A Maruader.
Where did it say S/C?

I didn't say your test was done on a S/C.
Other Cold air kits on supercharged mustangs I was refering to.

Tucker
10-15-2004, 06:30 PM
I didn't say your test was done on a S/C.
Other Cold air kits on supercharged mustangs I was refering to.Sorry, but I still don't understand the question.

This is what you wrote: "Well what is this worth on a normally aspirated Marauder? I know on a supercharged setup it could be worth 20+ HP but whats it worth on a non supercharged deal???"

??:help:

Mike M
10-15-2004, 06:42 PM
It's simple....what is it worth on a normally aspirated engine???????

FiveO
10-16-2004, 02:31 AM
It's simple....what is it worth on a normally aspirated engine???????
Again....check the dyno sheets posted earlier in this thread.

Its right there...color photograph and everything! :)

Tucker
10-16-2004, 04:43 AM
It's simple....what is it worth on a normally aspirated engine???????Exactly what FiveO said.
The test results on the first page are of a N/A Marauder!
It picked up anywhere from 8-28 RWTQ and 8-23 RWHP.
Here's the graph again.
Sorry if were not getting each other, but I tested a N/A car. These are the N/A results.
There are other Cobra graphs on the web site. www.jlttruecoldair.com (http://www.jlttruecoldair.com/)
Thanks

Mike M
10-16-2004, 08:13 AM
Again....check the dyno sheets posted earlier in this thread.

Its right there...color photograph and everything! :)
I have since seen it but I find myself in a constant cycle of trying to explain my original post! :-)

Mike M
10-16-2004, 08:14 AM
I want one!!! I will give you a call Monday. Thanks

DirtyDog
10-16-2004, 06:39 PM
Boy was that fast, ordered it on Wednesday and it arrived at lunch time on Saturday. I live so far away from everything it usually takes 7 to 10 days for shipping.

Thanks Tucker,

Dave

FiveO
10-16-2004, 07:22 PM
:lol:

Thanks for reminding me!

Mine arrived today too! Been at the track all day and forgot to check!

Tucker
10-16-2004, 08:45 PM
Put them on guys!!! Please let us know how they feel!

DirtyDog: That was crazy fast. I guess they get right on the plane @ Norfolk and go to you that day.
Glad to hear it.

Can't wait to hear the results!:beer:

valleyman
10-23-2004, 02:38 PM
I'm real happy with mine. I have 4.10s, level II tranny upgrade, Stallion 3k T/C, underdrive pulleys, and the Reinhart chip. On my car there is a definite SOTP difference in the low end, comparable to the difference I felt when I put on the UD pulleys except that it's more, uh, explosive is probably the best word. Other than the ROAR of the intake sound, I can't tell any difference once I get out of the low end, say past 3500 rpm or so. But punching it from a dead stop or a slow roll without a doubt results in more tire spin than I had before and pushes me back in the seat a little harder. All in all, for this price I'm a very happy camper. My butt-o-meter tells me there is more low end torque.

Tucker
10-23-2004, 08:19 PM
I'm real happy with mine. I have 4.10s, level II tranny upgrade, Stallion 3k T/C, underdrive pulleys, and the Reinhart chip. On my car there is a definite SOTP difference in the low end, comparable to the difference I felt when I put on the UD pulleys except that it's more, uh, explosive is probably the best word. Other than the ROAR of the intake sound, I can't tell any difference once I get out of the low end, say past 3500 rpm or so. But punching it from a dead stop or a slow roll without a doubt results in more tire spin than I had before and pushes me back in the seat a little harder. All in all, for this price I'm a very happy camper. My butt-o-meter tells me there is more low end torque.That's great to hear. Thanks. SOTP power on a 4000 + pound car :banana:
Low end is where I saw the biggest gains on the dyno for this car. I guess it was right.
Thanks again and spread the word!!:beer:

DirtyDog
10-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Well, just got through my first full tank of gas. I gained 1 mile to the gallon.
Good deal, I get the SOTP and it pays for it self.

Dave

Tucker
10-29-2004, 01:40 PM
Well, just got through my first full tank of gas. I gained 1 mile to the gallon.
Good deal, I get the SOTP and it pays for it self.

DaveThat's great man. Good to hear!
Thanks