PDA

View Full Version : Car Stereo Question: Will a double DIN head unit fit in the Marauder???

ADE 1000
07-23-2004, 05:25 AM
I upgraded my speakers to Boston Acoustics NX87s last year, but have felt the stock head unit was not getting the best out of them. I am contemplating changing my head unit and was wondering if anyone has gotten a double DIN to fit in the Marauder. The opening looks like a double DIN, but online sources like Crutchfield do not seem to list any double DIN units fitting the Marauder. I am not a big fan of how a single DIN looks in the car.

I was leaning toward this Clarion unit because I think it will fit best with the interior:

http://www.nextag.com/serv/javaworld/buyer/ProductM.jsp?pdir=5&ptitle=4146420&core=&node=500059&lgsearch=&lgnode=500059&kw=Clarion_ADZ625_Double_DIN&page=1&click=n

The other options are JVC and Kenwood double DINs, but they look a little too ricey for me. Also, is there any special provisions the head unit must have to get the steering wheel radio controls working?

blkgrape
07-23-2004, 08:03 AM
The head unit is technically a din and a half. I'm not a 100% sure if you have enough clearance with the dash trim to get a double din in, in behind there is room but i think you would have to trim the dash panel a bit in order for it to fit. Besides that a custom bracket would have to made to hold the radio in place, there's no kit available for a double din.

Sorry

rookie1
07-23-2004, 08:41 AM
The head unit is technically a din and a half. I'm not a 100% sure if you have enough clearance with the dash trim to get a double din in, in behind there is room but i think you would have to trim the dash panel a bit in order for it to fit. Besides that a custom bracket would have to made to hold the radio in place, there's no kit available for a double din.

Sorry

yep, din and1/2 is correct. Not too much trouble to fit a double din though if you're a little determined.
Much easier to get more out of your new speakers by adding a new amplifier.
I like the stealth look of keeping the OEM unit.

Donny Carlson
07-23-2004, 09:14 AM
Meggamaxx, which did the upgrade to my system, has told me that this unit:

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/content/product/image/large/im-ddx-7015-lrg-2004-kusa.jpg

Will fit, though they must make some mounting accomodations. This is an AWESOME unit, and is on my list for mods for the spring. It would be in my car now if I could swing it. I've seen this demonstrated and in a vehicle.

Here's the web site describing it, and note that you can shop and get a lower price than MSRP shown.
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productTypeId=37&sortBy=price&productId=2557

If this is out of your range, consider just upgrading your subwoofer and addiing an amp for the sub and your speakers. I would take your OEM sub and amp completely out and let an autosound installer put in a sub in a custom enclosure. Mine is great (I had a custom wavebox built in the bottom of the trunk), but I particularly like one I saw where the box and amp are on the shelf where the spare is, and the spare is relocated to the floor of the trunk.
A quality sub and amping up your cabin speakers will do WONDERS, and I can testify that the OEM head unit does a great job once hooked up to quality speakers and amps. And you still get the use of your CD changer, Wheel controls, and maintain factory look of the dash. You may want to consider an XM Commander, too, as once I installed mine I have never played my CD changer, FM radio, or single CD.

ADE 1000
07-23-2004, 10:25 AM
Thanks, I appreciate the responses. I was not even aware that you could hook an aftermarket amp up to the factory head unit. I though that the outputs that are required for an amp are not typically available in OEM head units. Ideally, I would like to keep the stock head unit for the appearance and to retain the stock CD changer. Does anyone have an amp they would recommend for driving the four speakers?

Donny, I was also looking at that Kenwood unit. It is sweet, but I really don't want to spend that much right now. I might switch to a DVD screen unit once the pricing gets a little more reasonable down the road. And yes, I definetly will get a sub and perhaps XM radio as well.

Directedby
07-23-2004, 10:54 AM
I installed a Pioneer Double Din unit, which fit perfectly. OEM unit slid out, Double Din slid in.

mdmarauder
07-23-2004, 11:19 AM
I'm wondering the same thing. I first changed to Infinity 6X8 speakers but then noticed that the factory head unit was too weak to push them. Then I added a Infinity 4-channel amp but has way too much "hiss" due to the speaker line level connections. No rca plugs on the factory head. I'm having the amp removed and I've been looking at the Kenwood Double-din DVD player but I'm not sure if it will fit. Although the Pioneer looked like a good fit so I'm confused?

Donny Carlson
07-23-2004, 02:14 PM
I'm wondering the same thing. I first changed to Infinity 6X8 speakers but then noticed that the factory head unit was too weak to push them. Then I added a Infinity 4-channel amp but has way too much "hiss" due to the speaker line level connections. No rca plugs on the factory head. I'm having the amp removed and I've been looking at the Kenwood Double-din DVD player but I'm not sure if it will fit. Although the Pioneer looked like a good fit so I'm confused?
As Directedby posted, the Pioneer is a good fit. I know little about installation, which is why I leave it to the pros to install. My system has no hiss and they integrated it with Concept amps and speakers, a Kenwood sub. They also wired in my XM Commander (using a Blitzsafe adapter). The sound is excellent.

The beauty of their installation is when I'm ready to upgrade to the Kenwood head unit, everything done on the previous upgrade will work seamlessly. The upgrade will entail replacing the OEM head unit, installing a steering wheel control adapter, removing the OEM CD Changer, and installing a GPS navigation module, an XM Direct interface (to replace the Commander to the head unit will control the XM radio - the Kenwood presently is set to use Sirius), and maybe an MP3 keg. I may not do the keg because with Satellite radio I never listen to CD's or FM radio any more.

RCSignals
07-23-2004, 06:51 PM
I installed a Pioneer Double Din unit, which fit perfectly. OEM unit slid out, Double Din slid in.
That's what I understand. I was looking at Pioneer double DIN units last year. but decided to stay stock.
Supposedly our units are DIN and a half, but seems they are more Double DIN in fact.

pacammer
07-25-2004, 08:54 AM
You may want to look at an Eclipse AVN 2454. It is a double din unit. I installed it in my car. Ties directly into the factory harness and has an option that integrates it perfectly with the steering wheel controls. Great sound, DVD navigation, and a tie in for satelite radio if desired or it can use the trunck mounted CD changer if sat radio is not desired. Great unit, Great fit.

Gary

rookie1
07-26-2004, 05:14 AM
I was not even aware that you could hook an aftermarket amp up to the factory head unit. I though that the outputs that are required for an amp are not typically available in OEM head units. Ideally, I would like to keep the stock head unit for the appearance and to retain the stock CD changer. Does anyone have an amp they would recommend for driving the four speakers?

You just need a couple of line level converters like this one:
PAC Model #SNI8 Line Output Converter
* Supplies a standard line output from a speaker high level input, as from a rear
speaker connection on the receiver
* Converts from receivers 2 to 9 RMS watts per channel
* Completely shielded from noise & vehicle interference

As far as amplifier recommendations go, Look for a 5 channel amp on the net and stay with a good brand. They are easy to install and can drive all 4 speakers and a subwoofer. I chose a Soundstream Rubicon originally and was very happy with the quality and results but have since switched to MA Audio in my thirst for more power.

ADE 1000
07-26-2004, 05:39 AM
You just need a couple of line level converters like this one:
PAC Model #SNI8 Line Output Converter
* Supplies a standard line output from a speaker high level input, as from a rear
speaker connection on the receiver
* Converts from receivers 2 to 9 RMS watts per channel
* Completely shielded from noise & vehicle interference

As far as amplifier recommendations go, Look for a 5 channel amp on the net and stay with a good brand. They are easy to install and can drive all 4 speakers and a subwoofer. I chose a Soundstream Rubicon originally and was very happy with the quality and results but have since switched to MA Audio in my thirst for more power.

That looks like a good route, time to start shopping. :coolman:

ADE 1000
07-26-2004, 05:40 AM
You may want to look at an Eclipse AVN 2454. It is a double din unit. I installed it in my car. Ties directly into the factory harness and has an option that integrates it perfectly with the steering wheel controls. Great sound, DVD navigation, and a tie in for satelite radio if desired or it can use the trunck mounted CD changer if sat radio is not desired. Great unit, Great fit.

Gary

The Eclipse unit looks very nice. Any idea how much it costs?

MENINBLK
07-26-2004, 07:20 AM
Can someone post a link for the Eclipse AVN 2454.
I've searched the Internet but all I can find is other people's installations.

cbala
07-26-2004, 07:42 AM
http://www.eclipse-web.com/

Lowell
04-04-2006, 03:33 PM
Double din for sale in classifides. Fits MM exactly.

GarageMahal
04-04-2006, 03:35 PM
Double din for sale in classifides. Fits MM exactly.

I didn't see it there yet but will check later. I may be interested. What did you replace it with?

jta

Lowell
04-04-2006, 03:37 PM
New unit AVIC-Z1 in transit. New unit has blue tooth capability. Seven inch screen. Etc. The guy who dies with the most toys win.

GarageMahal
04-04-2006, 03:42 PM
New unit AVIC-Z1 in transit. New unit has blue tooth capability. Seven inch screen. Etc. The guy who dies with the most toys win.

I was just looking at the Z1 yesterday :) I may still wait for a while since I was planning to wait for more BT support. I really want to play audio from my BT device through the stereo.

Still looking for your ad, server must be slow ;)

jta

bugsyc
01-07-2016, 01:28 PM

What model number????

fastblackmerc
01-07-2016, 02:20 PM
What model number????

Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply.... the last time he posted was 12/2008 :eek:

Take a look at the picture in his post. Not a NAV unit and I highly doubt that it will interface with any newer phone. Flip phone maybe....... :rolleyes:

MarauderMatt200
01-07-2016, 02:56 PM
holy mother of old threads lol when this was posted i believe we were still using bag phones as cell phones lol

jsignorelli
01-07-2016, 03:06 PM
I replaced the factory unit after it failed for the third time. The Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT unit I replaced it with is a double DIN and it fits fine.

345HP87SSAC
01-07-2016, 04:21 PM
ADD 1000 pm me i will text you how the JVC looks with the install kit. I am in my 40s and did not want a kid looking radio or too fast and furious. I think it looks nice at night and shows up well in the day time also.

Bradshaw

daddyusmaximus
01-31-2016, 05:15 PM
I'm getting my double din HU (Kenwood DDX393) installed this week, but I'm letting the stereo shop do it.

Gryphonzus
02-02-2016, 06:44 AM
I had a Pioneer avic8100 installed in two of my Marauders. I had a little trouble with the second install. The faceplate did not want to open so I could put a cd in. The installer fixed the problem and it is working good now.

daddyusmaximus
02-04-2016, 08:47 PM
Mine went in today. Hooked to factory speakers right now. New speakers, amp, and sub to come. I have the front speakers and the sub, but it will need a new enclosure to fit under the rear shelf.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc306/daddyusmaximus/cars/cars001/Stereo%20Kenwood%20DDX%20393_z psxulbhhiw.jpg (http://s219.photobucket.com/user/daddyusmaximus/media/cars/cars001/Stereo%20Kenwood%20DDX%20393_z psxulbhhiw.jpg.html)

Scott
02-23-2017, 01:17 PM
Just wondering if an installation kit such as the Metra 95-5817 is required? I have searched every thread and found references to installation kits being used, but have not seen anything that identifies which one(s) work. Any guidance? - Thanks!:)

ARodmarauder
02-23-2017, 04:14 PM
Just wondering if an installation kit such as the Metra 95-5817 is required? I have searched every thread and found references to installation kits being used, but have not seen anything that identifies which one(s) work. Any guidance? - Thanks!:)

Yes you are correct part for the double din

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EricGrain
02-23-2017, 10:49 PM
I got a Kenwood double din with Android Auto in it, 7" screen.

I had it done at a local shop I trusted that even let me stay for the whole installation and watch. They HAD to do some light cutting into the top area of my dash to properly fit it and mount it, but it looks excellent!

https://s24.postimg.org/7j6kisxcx/IMG_20160824_145556.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/7j6kisxcx/)

Charles466
05-06-2017, 09:40 AM
Hi all. New guy/first post. Am looking at a Pioneer 4200NEX, but I keep reading how Android Auto in this unit doesn't like Verizon Galaxy S7's. Anyone have any experience with this? It's not like the S7 is a one-off, oddball phone, or the Pioneer is a no-name head unit...Thanks for any thoughts, advice, etc.

cer0413
05-06-2017, 10:22 AM
Hi all. New guy/first post. Am looking at a Pioneer 4200NEX, but I keep reading how Android Auto in this unit doesn't like Verizon Galaxy S7's. Anyone have any experience with this? It's not like the S7 is a one-off, oddball phone, or the Pioneer is a no-name head unit...Thanks for any thoughts, advice, etc.
When I purchased the unit back in March it worked fine with my S7 (sprint). I now have the S8 (at&t) and its also good.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1968F100
06-26-2017, 11:24 AM
I got a Kenwood double din with Android Auto in it, 7" screen.

I had it done at a local shop I trusted that even let me stay for the whole installation and watch. They HAD to do some light cutting into the top area of my dash to properly fit it and mount it, but it looks excellent!

https://s24.postimg.org/7j6kisxcx/IMG_20160824_145556.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/7j6kisxcx/)
Where did you scalp or come by the "matching sides" on the left and right of the head unit?

BAD MERC
06-26-2017, 04:24 PM
Let me know how you like that Android connect. My Eclipse equipment works but it's old. I have a 13 year old 2din AVN unit with CD Changer and iPod interface. I'd like to be able to utilize my Android and add a lot more features. Nice install!

TJCOX
03-29-2021, 03:12 PM
How many of you "Marauders" have replaced your OEM UNIT and replaced it with an aftermarket one?

MyBlackBeasts
03-29-2021, 04:34 PM
How many of you "Marauders" have replaced your OEM UNIT and replaced it with an aftermarket one?

Thr tuner puked on my OEM unit (like on all of them, known issue) so replaced mine with a single din Kenwood.

Going to replace it with this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Kenwood-DNR876S-6-95-WVGA-Navigation-Media-Car-Receiver-Garmin-Navigation/383798919175?ssPageName=STRK%3 AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 when weather warms up.

I put it in my F250 & radio w/built-in Garmin is awesome!

GreekGod
03-31-2021, 08:47 AM
I had a Pioneer double DIN with navigation installed in my 2003 MM. The navigation part quit working properly after a few years. I wouldn't advise installing a similar unit - much better to have a portable/separate Garmin navigation from the head unit. That way, you can use the navigation in other vehicles, as I do when flying to visit my brother (and driving his car).

z man
03-31-2021, 09:09 AM
I have a Kenwood Excelon DDX6905S. Just get a solid double din that has Apple CarPlay / Android Auto. I personally don’t worry about getting one with built-in navigation... use whatever app is on your phone and you can control it through the touchscreen or with voice commands.

MyBlackBeasts
03-31-2021, 05:08 PM
The 2018 F150 I leased had a Sync3 radio that I loved! It was the only part of that piece of cra p truck that was any good (10-spd auto = junk, 5.0 = junk, electric steering = junk, auto start/stop = junk...).
I thought about swapping a Sync3 in to my F250 to replace the useless Sync1 but the prices of a Sync3 are extortionate! $3500/$4000.
I found this Kenwood unit that did everything the Sync3 did for 1/4 the cost, it was a great decision. Love it!
I have 2 Garmin units for the cars, just sick of dealing with them. Driving in 1 vehicle only to find out it was in the other car, screwing around getting it set up, another wire tangling with the other wires, messing around with 12v power sources for everything, uuuuuugh!
If the Garmin or radio puke, replace it. Gives you the opportunity to upgrade to newer tech, etc.

fastblackmerc
04-01-2021, 10:14 AM
The 2018 F150 I leased had a Sync3 radio that I loved! It was the only part of that piece of cra p truck that was any good (10-spd auto = junk, 5.0 = junk, electric steering = junk, auto start/stop = junk...).
I thought about swapping a Sync3 in to my F250 to replace the useless Sync1 but the prices of a Sync3 are extortionate! $3500/$4000.
I found this Kenwood unit that did everything the Sync3 did for 1/4 the cost, it was a great decision. Love it!
I have 2 Garmin units for the cars, just sick of dealing with them. Driving in 1 vehicle only to find out it was in the other car, screwing around getting it set up, another wire tangling with the other wires, messing around with 12v power sources for everything, uuuuuugh!
If the Garmin or radio puke, replace it. Gives you the opportunity to upgrade to newer tech, etc.

Popular upgrade for the SYNC is an iPad intergration.

Have 2015 F150 with SYNC 3 and I love it!

MyBlackBeasts
04-01-2021, 07:30 PM
Popular upgrade for the SYNC is an iPad intergration.

Have 2015 F150 with SYNC 3 and I love it!

I can't find anything the Sync3 does that this Kenwood doesn't do and you can't beat the price. I love it, that's why I just picked up one for the MM. It also works with the steering wheel buttons on my F250 and added a Mute function to them by holding the volume down button for 2 seconds.

BAD MERC
04-02-2021, 02:40 PM
WHAT???

The head unit is exactly 2DIN and any unit will fit. Metra makes a kit that installs with ZERO modifications.