PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust and Flow Masters

Murader03
07-24-2004, 03:28 AM
Had Flow Master 40's installed yesterday. The car sounds great from the outside and when it drives by. "BUT", on the inside it's a bear. Ordered the number that "Brutus" supplied, but they sub'd a stainless, black muffler, don't know why. Anyway, the car is a bear on the inside, especially when crusing at 75 or so. When not under load at lower speeds, it seems okay. I talked to the installer after a run, and am having the original baffled tips installed, in hopes of loosing some of the interior noise. If not, then they will be replaced with something less intrusive on the inside of the car. But, I sure like the sound from the outside. I think the Cobra exhaust and hi-flow pipe and cats changed the characteristics of the muffler compared to the set up Brutus has, stock! His set up seems quite livable when I took a ride in his car last week. Drats!!!!!!!!!!!!!Grrrrrrrrrrr rrrrr!

RF Overlord
07-24-2004, 05:07 AM
Anyway, the car is a bear on the inside, especially when crusing at 75 or so. am having the original baffled tips installed, in hopes of loosing some of the interior noise.

Bob: I believe that's the very reason those tips were spec'd by the factory;

We just had the Cobra exhaust installed (w/FM 40s) a few weeks ago and I was afraid of the same issue. We chose to leave the stock tailpipes and tips in place and there is no cabin drone on the highway, just a little at around 40-something (haven't corrected the speedo for the 4.10s, yet) when OD is left on.

BUCKWHEAT
07-24-2004, 05:21 AM
Drats!!!!!!!!!!!!!Grrrrrrrrrrr rrrrr![/QUOTE]

I semi-share your pain. I first had the three-chamber Flowmaster 50's put on and the sound was totally quiet in the cabin, but good at the pipes. Then I bolted on the Cobra exhaust with the high flow cats. The sound in the cabin with the 50's became noticeable--but not irritating. Still have the original tips. My wife loves the sound. Everytime she drives, it's WOT.

martyo
07-24-2004, 06:08 AM
Bob: It is important to make sure that the tipes clear the rear bumper cover enough that the exhaust sound doesn't resonate back into the car. I have found, and discussed with others, that the exhaust system is very sensitive to the placement of the tips.

Something to consider.

Cobra25
07-24-2004, 06:44 AM
Drats!!!!!!!!!!!!!Grrrrrrrrrrr rrrrr!

I also have the Cobra exhaust but with the Magnaflows 18 inch, I was thinking of doing the 40 series Flowmasters now after reading this I have too think about it again. Now I just have one question, The 50 series you put on the cabin noise is not too load correct? How is the sound out side. ? Agressive or mellow? Thanks for your input.

rayjay
07-24-2004, 08:17 AM
Drats!!!!!!!!!!!!!Grrrrrrrrrrr rrrrr!
My wife loves the sound. Everytime she drives, it's WOT.[/QUOTE]
Thats exactly the reason my wife is "persona non grata" in the drivers seat.

Murader03
07-24-2004, 09:06 AM
I also have the Cobra exhaust but with the Magnaflows 18 inch, I was thinking of doing the 40 series Flowmasters now after reading this I have too think about it again. Now I just have one question, The 50 series you put on the cabin noise is not too load correct? How is the sound out side. ? Agressive or mellow? Thanks for your input.

I've got an appointment Wednesday at 1 PM to have the OEM tips reinstalled. Kinda glad I kept them. I'll check out the conditions after they are put back in place. If it's still to bad inside, then I'll have the 50's put on. If I had to drive to Indy as it is now, both the wife and I would be nut cases.....

Brutus
07-24-2004, 09:06 AM
Bob, What is the part # of the ones they put on your car. Just curious, I think you can only get the delta Flows in stainless. I think you will see a difference if you put the original tips on.

Murader03
07-24-2004, 09:10 AM
Bob, What is the part # of the ones they put on your car. Just curious, I think you can only get the delta Flows in stainless. I think you will see a difference if you put the original tips on.

I talked to the guys today. They "DID" put the delta flows on vice the 2-chamber, they sub them on me, and the delta's are supposed to be quieter than the 2 chambers. If so, then the 2 chamber would really be beggin' to come off as I wouldn't have liked them. As it is, the delta's are really booming inside the cabin at speed and under load.

buckyboy
07-24-2004, 09:26 AM
good thread, ive been wondering about that, im considering the flowmasters.
Had Flow Master 40's installed yesterday. The ...car sounds great from the outside and when it drives by. "BUT", on the inside it's a bear. Ordered the number that "Brutus" supplied, but they sub'd a stainless, black muffler, don't know why. Anyway, the ...car is a bear on the inside, especially when crusing at 75 or so. When not under load at lower speeds, it seems okay. I talked to the installer after a run, and am having the original baffled tips installed, in hopes of loosing some of the interior noise. If not, then they will be replaced with something less intrusive on the inside of the car. But, I sure like the sound from the outside. I think the Cobra exhaust and hi-flow pipe and cats changed the characteristics of the muffler compared to the set up Brutus has, stock! His set up seems quite livable when I took a ride in his car last week. Drats!!!!!!!!!!!!!Grrrrrrrrrrr rrrrr!

rumble
07-24-2004, 11:05 AM
I have run the Flowmaster40's, not the Deltaflows, with stock tips
and as I posted in another thread about "drone" and cabin noise.............

"Some, but not a lot. If find if the cabin noise seems loud I just back off a hair and it becomes dead quiet. I think almost any type of aftermarket exhaust will have some increase in cabin noise. Hey, if YOU can't hear em, what good are they?"

I guess one mans rumble is another mans poision. Kinda like
music and politics.

Gary

Krytin
07-24-2004, 11:09 AM
I talked to the guys today. They "DID" put the delta flows on vice the 2-chamber, they sub them on me, and the delta's are supposed to be quieter than the 2 chambers. If so, then the 2 chamber would really be beggin' to come off as I wouldn't have liked them. As it is, the delta's are really booming inside the cabin at speed and under load.
I have seen shields offered from Flow Masters in the Sumit catalog. These shields are supposed to reduce cabin noise!

67435animal
07-24-2004, 12:16 PM
Bob: It is important to make sure that the tipes clear the rear bumper cover enough that the exhaust sound doesn't resonate back into the car. I have found, and discussed with others, that the exhaust system is very sensitive to the placement of the tips.

Something to consider.

Marty, you're right. I have Flowmaster 40s with resonator delete tips. I had the tips extended about 2-3" beyond the rear of the bumper cover. I've been this way since last fall. The car sounds awesome form outside and my wife has never complained beyond saying 'The car seems a little noisier' when I first installed the mufflers and the tips.

Bob

Donny Carlson
07-24-2004, 01:13 PM

Something to consider.
Marty is on the beam here. Todd and I have virtual twin exhaust systems, yet my car has a much louder droning sound at 50. Difference? Todd had his tips moved outward to clear the rear cover enough, mine are in stock location.

MYSTA KANG
07-27-2004, 01:16 PM
apply some sound deadner in the truck.

THE_INTERCEPTOR
07-27-2004, 01:34 PM
I freaking LOVE the flowmaster drone! And the "vum-vum-vum-vum-vum" grumble at idle and low RPM's!! Love it!

CRUZTAKER
07-27-2004, 02:31 PM
Bob: It is important to make sure that the tipes clear the rear bumper cover enough I must reiterate....When I did my full exhaust change, I had my baffle-delete tips pushed out 2" and down 0.5" past the bumper.

This alleviates most of the problem of cabin db's. I would suggest that if you are going to have them cut off again, try adding a piece of pipe to push them down and out past the bumper. The stock location is too far under and behing the bumper for exhaust mods.

STLThunder
07-27-2004, 02:43 PM

A dead body, maybe? :lol:

TAF
07-27-2004, 03:13 PM
Yep...in the cabin or in the trunk or both will certainly do the trick...
http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/83dynomat_extreme.jpg

Brutus
07-27-2004, 05:42 PM
I had a buddy put the same mufflers on a mustang and of course it doesnt have the resonators in the tips. It had a real bad resonance, and I kicked it around for a long time, but took a chance and put then on my car and left the stock tips on. I am very happy and Bob I think you will be too when you get them tips back in place. Good thing about Indy is we can all compare our exhaust notes!!

michburt
07-28-2004, 07:16 AM
Everytime I put her in there, she *****es at me for a week.

Mike

TripleG
07-28-2004, 08:27 AM
I have been going around in circles regarding cabin noise too. I also have Reinhart's Ported/Ceramic Coated Cobra Manafold's, High Flow Cat's, X Pipe system. My first set of mufflers (Dynomax) had a loud noise at 40 Mph. I couldn't stand it so I checked arround and bought a set of the aero turbine 2525 muflers and they're just as loud.

So this time I called Bassani and found out they have a Tip baffle that's 3" by 9" and would slide right into our tips. He said he sells them to many cobra orders to reduce the noise.

I have them on order (of course there on back order) and will let you know more as soon as they are installed.

Murader03
07-28-2004, 02:56 PM
Well, the car is down right civil, livable, on the inside. Thanks all the the help and encouragment. Had the original OEM tips put back on today. They are as far out as he could get them without bending the hanger. That's fine with me. The interior noise level decreased about 100 fold. There are still spots under acceleration that the interior gets noisy, but then it was that way with the Cobra exahust and OEM mufflers with delete tips too. For now, I'm satisified with the installed Flowmasters. But, we'll see what happens during the Indy trip. See you all soon!

MarauderTJA
07-28-2004, 04:30 PM
Had Flow Master 40's installed yesterday. The car sounds great from the outside and when it drives by. "BUT", on the inside it's a bear. Ordered the number that "Brutus" supplied, but they sub'd a stainless, black muffler, don't know why. Anyway, the car is a bear on the inside, especially when crusing at 75 or so. When not under load at lower speeds, it seems okay. I talked to the installer after a run, and am having the original baffled tips installed, in hopes of loosing some of the interior noise. If not, then they will be replaced with something less intrusive on the inside of the car. But, I sure like the sound from the outside. I think the Cobra exhaust and hi-flow pipe and cats changed the characteristics of the muffler compared to the set up Brutus has, stock! His set up seems quite livable when I took a ride in his car last week. Drats!!!!!!!!!!!!!Grrrrrrrrrrr rrrrr!
I chose the Flowmaster 50 Delta Series and had them installed a couple of weeks ago. No drone on the highway at 75 MPH, orginial tips, sounds great around town as well as WOT. The new ones came stainless. I almost went with the 40's. Maybe you can worka deal and get them exchanged. Worth a shot.

Glenn
07-29-2004, 06:20 PM
I chose to go with the Cobra headers and Cobra X-pipe to the stock mufflers (all SS) for some additional HP and performance. I just did not want the dreaded cabin drone and loud exhaust. I have had many loud performance cars, but I wanted the MM to be just a little louder with no cabin drone. I drive 100 miles a day to work at 70-80 mph and have grown to enjoy the relatively quite interior of the MM.

The performance has increased by the SOTP meter. The MM accelerates noticeably quicker. The exhaust sound while parked and you hit the thottle is a sharp crack and growl which sounds great. The sound level, based on the stock MM E/S being a 1 and the much-preferred Magnaflow mufflers with the X-pipe being a 5, is a 2 to 2 1/2 from 20-50 mph. The cabin drone is a 1 1/2 cruising at 70-80 mph. Any acceleration at speed brings it up to near a 2.

I am very satisfied with the new E/S. I will do a dyno pull on the car in August to see how much this E/S set-up is worth in HP. I realize this set-up is not for everybody, but it more then satisfies my search for additional performance with more of a throaty sound to the car and no cabin drone at highway speeds.

I also had the Metco control arms installed. They definitely increase body control, handling and limit sway. I also noticed they help greatly in launching the car. Plus, they look great peeking out from under the car. Contrary to other opinions, I did notice some additional rough road and bumps transfer. Has anyone else experienced the rougher ride?

DallasCV
08-03-2004, 01:50 PM
I have 3 vehicles with the 4.6 SOHC...2 F150s and 1 CV. I have Magnaflow and Gibson on the trucks and Delta 40s on the CV and the Flows are the only one with the drone it also has the resonatorless tips.
The Gibson rumbles on the highway, but no drone...the Magnaflow sounds great when you kick it...but can't hardly hear it on the highway. Both trucks exhaust dump in front of the rear tire.
Flows have drone...the CV is fine I just hear some drone around town but not on the highway.

Murader03
08-04-2004, 02:20 AM
As posted earlier, they installed 40 series delta flows. With the delete tips the car was unbearable at anything above 40 MPH. I had the OEM tips reinstalled (I kept them), on Wednesday afternoon prior to my departure for MVII. There was a 100% improvement in the interior sound, or no sound, whichever way you wish to think of it. I am perfectly content with the arrangement as it is now. With the roundtrip drive to MVII and back, the car was almost as quiet inside as when it was bone stock. Anyway, thanks to all who offered advise and comments on their particular exhaust setups. The saga as ended well, almost. Gotta take it back to find the rattle in the work that was done. Again, THANKS!

Haggis
08-04-2004, 03:49 AM
As posted earlier, they installed 40 series delta flows. With the delete tips the car was unbearable at anything above 40 MPH. I had the OEM tips reinstalled (I kept them), on Wednesday afternoon prior to my departure for MVII. There was a 100% improvement in the interior sound, or no sound, whichever way you wish to think of it. I am perfectly content with the arrangement as it is now. With the roundtrip drive to MVII and back, the car was almost as quiet inside as when it was bone stock. Anyway, thanks to all who offered advise and comments on their particular exhaust setups. The saga as ended well, almost. Gotta take it back to find the rattle in the work that was done. Again, THANKS!

Bob not only did I get to follow your car on the trip to Indy and partly on the way home I also got to ride in it and your car sounds great. When following you I could hear a nice growl when you gave it gas and when you took me for a spin it was nice and quite inside. Glad to hear you are happy with your current set-up.

TPD
08-18-2004, 04:50 AM
Zack
Im Interested In Your Grills

Could You Update What Is Available

Thanks

2003 MIB
08-18-2004, 05:09 AM
Zack
Im Interested In Your Grills

Could You Update What Is Available

Thanks
:hijack: but- Zack's grills are too good to pass up. Try PM 'ing him. The hot setup is to order two grills from Ray (thedealer). He'll ship them to IL and you'll get eZACKly what you're looking for. I (and many others) can attest to the quality. I've had mine for 6 months and it looks great. Welcome to the site!!

TPD
08-18-2004, 05:26 AM
:hijack: but- Zack's grills are too good to pass up. Try PM 'ing him. The hot setup is to order two grills from Ray (thedealer). He'll ship them to IL and you'll get eZACKly what you're looking for. I (and many others) can attest to the quality. I've had mine for 6 months and it looks great. Welcome to the site!!

THANKS
HOW CAN I MAKE CONTACT WITH RAY OR ZACK ?
DO I GIVE THEM MY E MAIL SO THEY CAN SEND A PHONE #

MM03MOK
08-18-2004, 05:29 AM
THANKS
HOW CAN I MAKE CONTACT WITH RAY OR ZACK ?
DO I GIVE THEM MY E MAIL SO THEY CAN SEND A PHONE #Zack:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/member.php?u=404

Ray, TheDealer:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/member.php?u=1210

Private Message or Email.

2003 MIB
08-18-2004, 05:54 AM
Zack:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/member.php?u=404

Ray, TheDealer:
http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/member.php?u=1210

Private Message or Email.
You're too much, Mary!!- I just dug up the same info. but your links are better...:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Murader03
08-18-2004, 06:13 AM
Boy was this thread high jacked. We went from Flow Masters to Grills....
:hijack:

FiveO
08-18-2004, 05:03 PM

Something to consider.

martyo....let me say that I believe you just saved me.

I impressed with the Kooks system and Magnoaflows at first but after a few trips the cabin "drone" is getting old....and my car even has quite a bit of Dynamat in it.

Here is a pic of the new placement of the tips:

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL283/1552930/4651240/63888485.jpg

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL283/1552930/4651240/63888506.jpg

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL283/1552930/4651240/63888518.jpg

On Friday afternoon, during the Metco CA, WL install the mechanic is also going to put in extensions and bring the tips out. With everyones info I have no doubt this will alleviate the "drone" in the cabin from the 18" Magnaflows.

Any thoughts after seeing the pics? Agree? Disagree?

Thanks for any insight....

tmac1337
08-18-2004, 09:09 PM
A local member down here in FL extended his tips out with no noticeable difference in the cabin drone from the Magnaflows. My cabin drone was terrible so I just took off the after market airbox I had on it and it quieted it down some but it's still loud.