PDA

View Full Version : Coating color suggestions? Also ?? on pre-coating cleaning...

FiveO
07-26-2004, 08:22 PM
Got my full Kooks system today....this is one beautiful setup.

I'm going with this company: http://www.headercoatings.com/

I called and verified that the cost is $230 for the headers.

I want to send them out tomorrow...couple questions though.

The Kooks headers are new...but they have some grit and a bit of grime inside them. Very mild, probably just leftover from the manufacturing process.

Any suggestions on how to clean them up a bit better? I was thinking of filling up the bathtub and soaking them with dishwashing liquid...to get rid of any oils. Then blow them out with the air compressor and let them dry.

Also....the company I chose has the chrome style coating...but they also have black?!?!?! How cool would that look! Any thoughts?

They claim the black coating disapates heat and cools down faster.

Also...they said they would coat them inside and out...this is better for airflow...correct?

Donny Carlson
07-26-2004, 08:27 PM
Got my full Kooks system today....this is one beautiful setup.

I'm going with this company: http://www.headercoatings.com/

I called and verified that the cost is $230 for the headers.

I want to send them out tomorrow...couple questions though.

The Kooks headers are new...but they have some grit and a bit of grime inside them. Very mild, probably just leftover from the manufacturing process.

Any suggestions on how to clean them up a bit better? I was thinking of filling up the bathtub and soaking them with dishwashing liquid...to get rid of any oils. Then blow them out with the air compressor and let them dry.

Also....the company I chose has the chrome style coating...but they also have black?!?!?! How cool would that look! Any thoughts?

They claim the black coating disapates heat and cools down faster.

Also...they said they would coat them inside and out...this is better for airflow...correct?
First, your powdercoater will clean your headers and whatever you are having coated, so there's no need for you to clean them. I think they sand-blast them.

Second, the black is really cool looking, I saw black coated headers over at Performance Coating. It's up to you, basically.

martyo
07-26-2004, 08:29 PM
Bling!!!

http://www.mercurygallery.net/mmnet/data/500/83coated_headers-med.jpg

FiveO
07-26-2004, 08:29 PM
The site says that they charge extra for cleaning....could be just ones that were previously installed.

Donny Carlson
07-26-2004, 09:01 PM
The site says that they charge extra for cleaning....could be just ones that were previously installed.
Their site says:

PARTS must be disassembled and grease, oils, tars and undercoatings removed. Parts not properly cleaned will incur additional cleaning charges.

Certainly this will NOT apply to your new headers. Sandblasting/cleaning is part of the process and is done to new parts. What they charge you extra for is if you give them filty parts or parts that require other than normal cleaning.

I'd talk to them first before wasting a lot of time cleaning your headers.

FiveO
07-26-2004, 09:07 PM
Thanks Donny...

I'll just send them as is.

Just thinking too much...this setup is already costing a small fortune...didn't want it to cost even more.