PDA

View Full Version : California Dry Blade

jgc61sr2002
07-28-2004, 06:05 PM
I purchased a "The Original California Dry Blade". Not sure I want to use it on the Marauder. What do you all think? :help: Thanks

sailsmen
07-28-2004, 06:10 PM
DRobin introduced it to me and it works great.

The first time like anything new it's a bit awkward. It will remove almost all the water and quickly.

Do be careful because the handle ends can cause a surface scuff it you are sloppy with it.

Silver_04
07-28-2004, 06:16 PM
I like the chamios called the Absorber. :up: The blades make me nervous if something gets trapped between it and the paint, esp the MM.

MI2QWK4U
07-28-2004, 06:31 PM
I agree with Sailsmen, it works great, especially on the roof, trunk, hood, and windows cause of their flat surface and really cuts down your drying time. I have had mine for a couple of years and use it on the Mustang and the Marauder and haven't suffered a scratch. Wouldn't do with out my water blade or duster.

QWK SVT
07-28-2004, 06:37 PM
I use one, to quickly remove most of the water from the hood, roof, windows and trunk. I don't really use it on the sides too much, because they are not flat surfaces, and most of the water rolls off pretty quick, anyways. After the blade, I use a chamios for everything else, and any drops left up top.

It works well, saves time and I've seen no adverse affects (I agree with the above - the handle could hurt the car, if you aren't careful).

woaface
07-28-2004, 06:43 PM
I use it when i don't have gas in the leaf blower or i can't use it otherwise. I like it...just shake it off a lot and put in some elbow grease.:beer:

gdmjoe
07-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Been using one for years; no issues, no problems, no scratches.

Like others have said ... quick and easy way to shed most of the water and then mop-up the remainder with a chamois.

Fast4Door
07-28-2004, 07:20 PM
I use it when i don't have gas in the leaf blower or i can't use it otherwise. I like it...just shake it off a lot and put in some elbow grease.:beer:

Me too. If I don't have access to my leaf blower (when I'm on the road), my blade is the next best thing. Leaf blower is the best, tho...

drobin
07-28-2004, 07:31 PM
The best technique I found is to use the California Duster on the paint surfaces and the California Water Blade on the glass areas. I'm too scared to do otherwise....Also use compressed air to blow off excessive water.

Another secret is wash the vehicle, then remove the hose nozzle, pinch the hose off until you obtain a full flow at about 25% and begin at the roof and work down to windows, trunk, hood and sides. You'll be surprise how much water will be removed and cut down on drying time..Results may vary and the softer the water the better...

drobin
Donald

martyo
07-28-2004, 07:37 PM
I use the blade and the duster and love 'em both!

cam
07-28-2004, 08:31 PM
A few comments here. 1st It works great, follow up with an absorber. 2nd, on one of the car shows on speedvision their was a guy cleaning the rain off of his Dusenberg or Packard during a car show car, that's trust! 3rd, the host, I believe Barry Maguire, was interviewing the guy while he was using it. The point? Barry didnt smack him or call him an idiot on tv. Since then, I have continued to use mine.

sailsmen
07-29-2004, 04:12 AM
"Another secret is wash the vehicle, then remove the hose nozzle, pinch the hose off until you obtain a full flow at about 25% and begin at the roof and work down to windows, trunk, hood and sides. You'll be surprise how much water will be removed and cut down on drying time..Results may vary and the softer the water the better...

drobin
Donald[/QUOTE]

I had always heard this but thought it was baloney, so for years I used a chamy and a towel. When DRobin told me about it I tried it and it works so well I have to immediately use the Cali Blade and a towel or the little water tha's left will dry.

rookie1
07-29-2004, 04:37 AM
I love my water blade and no scratches yet. One tip though: keep a small towel handy and wipe the blade after each pass, this reduces the risk contaminants passed from the blade to the paint.

Logan
07-29-2004, 05:20 AM
I'm in the leaf blower when available group, but I love my water blade too... :)

2003_MM_FYRE49
07-29-2004, 07:10 PM
I use mine all the time. I wrote body on one side and glass on the other. This way I'm not smearing any of the car wax onto the windows. I just flip it back and forth for whatever surface I'm on.

troopcar
07-30-2004, 01:44 PM
Am I the only one who gets a loud, silly squeaking noise when using the California Water Blade after a wash? I even called the company after the first time I used it because the squeaking sound was ridiculous, and I wanted to know if I was doing something wrong. They said that it could squeak, and didn't really have a cure for it. I like the product, but it's embarrassing to squeak out the neighborhood when I use it.

Anyone have this problem and maybe a solution? Does a Zaino'd surface contribute to the problem?

Thanks,

troopcar

Dr Caleb
07-30-2004, 02:10 PM
The secret to using the blade is not to have it squeak. It seems to squeak under 2 conditions: Not enough wax (fresh wax job is best) and if you go too fast.

I've found that if the blade is too perpedicular to the surface, it will squeak, and if you go too fast, it will squeak. About 80 degrees from vertical, for example on the hood and roof, is best.

Also, when it squeaks, it isn't working - it's leaving water behind. Just go slower or at a sharper angle, and it will cure itself.

jgc61sr2002
07-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Thanks for all your responses. :up: Tried the blade on one of my other vehicles and as Pam stated " it squeeked". Will try as the Dr. stated " use a different angle and not ot move it too fast". I guess it just takes getting used to. :D

JDC 302
07-30-2004, 07:18 PM
I use the Turtle Wax blade dryer,I have no scratches from using this product at all. I also agree with using a towel and wiping down the blade after each pass. I would also suggest, taking off any rings, watches ,or any other jewelry...Just to keep clear of the oh $hi!! thing that always seems to Blind side us and spoil our day.

JamesHecker
08-01-2004, 12:53 PM
I thought the blade was cool, but I scratched my car with it :cry:

I probably hadn't cleaned the car well enough or or didn't wipe the blade when I should have. I don't use it anymore.

jgc61sr2002
08-01-2004, 12:58 PM
I thought the blade was cool, but I scratched my car with it :cry:

I probably hadn't cleaned the car well enough or or didn't wipe the blade when I should have. I don't use it anymore.

Thanks James - I will probably not use it on the Marauder.