PDA

View Full Version : Chip Vs. Reflash???

Lou
07-29-2004, 07:33 AM
Well I've had my 04MM for almost three months now and it's time to do a modification or two. I thought you guys could give me a bit of advice.

Mine is my daily driver so I'm not looking to make it so that it's undrivable, especially in Chicago winters:help:.
Although you can never have too many horses I'm more concerned about getting the shifts a bit more crisp than they are now.

Which is better in my situation, a reflash or a new chip?
Where can I get it done in the Chicago area?
What's a good price?
Where does your lap go when you stand up?:coolman:

merc
07-29-2004, 07:40 AM
I believe the question should be chip vs. Tuner. I don’t have a 04, but I think you don’t have the capability to put in a chip and the SCT Tuner is you best overall solution for your current needs. Just my .02 cents.

michburt
07-29-2004, 07:49 AM
I believe the question should be chip vs. Tuner. I don’t have a 04, but I think you don’t have the capability to put in a chip and the SCT Tuner is you best overall solution for your current needs. Just my .02 cents.
Hi Merc,

What is STC Tuner? SuperChip?

Mike

merc
07-29-2004, 08:10 AM
The Tuner is a handheld device that plugs into your car's computer and is sold by several supporting vendors on this site. Below is a link that displays a picture of the tuner.

http://www.steeda.ca/catalogue_product_type.asp?id= 528

MainEngDwarf
07-29-2004, 02:15 PM
I have the tuner and believe that it's the best way to go. You can load more than one program and it saves the stock program, in case you need to take it in for warrenty work.

rookie1
07-30-2004, 04:18 AM
I have the tuner and believe that it's the best way to go. You can load more than one program and it saves the stock program, in case you need to take it in for warrenty work.

in your sig it says you have both Lidio and Reinhart programming in your tuner. Where did you get the tuner and how did you get both programs? Also, what is the difference between the 2 programs?

Lou
07-30-2004, 09:19 AM
OK, do I hafta buy the tuner or does someone in the Chicago area do the work?

It's a little pricey for a one time use. I'm used to working on my cars but I somehow feel that it might be a bit beyond me to figger out a program. Or, does the tuner come with sample programs loaded.

Lou.....still confused!

MainEngDwarf
07-30-2004, 10:08 AM
Hi Rookie,
Well here is the story. I bought the tuner from Dennis in a group buy when they first came out, and it came with Dennis's programs on it. This month I went on vacation to Minn. and since i was going near Lidio's place I stopped ther to visit with him, and got his program installed. To keep from causeing a fight here, I will be more than happy to give you my impressions of the differnt programs if you private message me.

Paco
08-13-2004, 07:13 PM
Just got my new '04 DTR MM two weeks ago, and noticed your in my area-south Chgo burbs, had to say HI! - my first message here.

Maybe see you around sometime.

jgc61sr2002
08-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Paco - Welcome to the MM site. :up: Enjoy your new ride. :D

Murader03
08-14-2004, 04:31 AM
OK, do I hafta buy the tuner or does someone in the Chicago area do the work?

It's a little pricey for a one time use. I'm used to working on my cars but I somehow feel that it might be a bit beyond me to figger out a program. Or, does the tuner come with sample programs loaded.

Lou.....still confused!

I guess you could consider the Tuner a one time use item, but it's not. It allows you to store the OEM porgram on the tuner. This would then be reinstalled if you would need to take the car in for service and you don't trust the service tech "Not" to touch the EEC for a reflash. The tuner once used, becomes VIN specific for programming only, you can still use it to read diagnostic codes on any FMC product with the port. If the EEC is reflashed, the tuner will need to be reset as it may not recognize the new program as being the original stored in the tuner. Not a problem, send it back to whoever you purchased it from and they can reset it. The nice thing is that the tuner can be updated with update programs, or you can get a specific tune for you particular car, need to be done by the tuner, and keep it stored.
The tuner would come with generic Marauder programs, modified to your car, for example, gear ration change, idle speed change for having under drive pullies installed, etc. Mine came with 93 octane performance tune, and I had one for 89 octane installed on the tuner is case gas prices got outta reach again. I have since had the car tuned, at Indy with specific changes I wanted made. Hope this helps clear up you mind a little...... :lol:

Smokie
08-14-2004, 06:26 AM
Lou, there is a third option, wait until the Windy City Marauders arrange for their next dyno-tune session and get it done (flash). It just a matter of when.

Lou
08-14-2004, 08:48 AM
Lou, there is a third option, wait until the Windy City Marauders arrange for their next dyno-tune session and get it done (flash). It just a matter of when.

Smokie, I like your suggestion. That's kinda what I had in mind.
As I said, this is my every-day driver and I hafta make sure that
it's sorta drivable in the snow.

Paco, welcome aboard. Hope you like your new toy.