PDA

View Full Version : Kooks bad cats - might be trouble

darebren
07-30-2004, 07:01 AM
Just to let everyone know, I am in the middle of negotiating with Kooks to get some satisfaction after I find out that the high flow cats they sent me with the stainless header kit, are rattling. Kooks says some of them are bad, and they changed types after my shipment. So... my cats are welded into a pipe that at one end bolts to the header collector flange, and the other end slips into the x pipe.

Kooks first suggestion was that they would send me new cats, and I can send mine back to them, and after testing my old ones, they will not charge me for the new ones if my old ones turn out to be defective.... This is no good for me! I would have to pay for someone to cut my old ones out of the welded pipe, and then have the new ones welded in.. then hope and pray that kooks does not charge me for the old ones which rattle on me and i can not stand the noise at low rpm's... plus having to spend a hundred or two hundred to have a good shop take the opld ones out, and weld the new ones in...

My suggestion, is that Kook's send me the exact same piece of pipe with new cats welded in by them, and then i can unbolt my old cat pipe and take off the clamp where they slip into the x pipe, and simply put the new ones on. This i can do in my garage myself for no cost. i can then mail my old ones back to them at their cost!

I sent pictures of the pipe my old cats were welded into, and you can all see it in my gallery. This is my only solution. I wanted you all to know this, and I really hope I can come back and post that kook's stands behind their products, and services, and supports us very well. otherwise, i am going to be a huge stink here and everywhere i can about them.

darebren
07-30-2004, 07:23 AM
Okay, Kooks is sending to me new pipe with new improved cats welded in. all i need to do is hook them up to the collector flange myself and clamp them into the x pipe. I hope they fit! and then i mail my old ones back to them for a refund of the new ones that i have to pay for $500.00! i hope the refund happens, and will post again when that occurs...

FiveO
07-30-2004, 08:31 AM
When did yours get delivered?

Mine were delivered earlier this week.

In fact...several MM.net members had theirs delivered within the last 10 days.

darebren
07-30-2004, 08:56 AM
mine were pre May 2004.

duhtroll
07-30-2004, 09:06 AM
Hey Paul -

John had the same problem with his cats from Kooks. He just swapped them out with old ones I think and was going to send them in - he might have done this already. He was I believe the second person to have this setup done.

Might want to ask him his experience. I think he's at MV right now, tho'.

-A

martyo
07-30-2004, 09:06 AM
Sure sounds like they are handling this the right way.

Most manufacturers/vendors would require what is referred to as a "core charge" until they get their goods back.

Rather than posting a blow-by-blow, why not just post the "final chapter"?

BillyGman
07-30-2004, 11:21 AM
I understand your concerns, however just let me point out that I for one have had the entire Kooks system on my Marauder since late last year, and I've had no problems. But keep us updated as to the final chapter.

darebren
07-30-2004, 11:45 AM
I'm confident this will work out. I hope to get my core charge credited back upon their receipt of my original cats. That is the final chapter, just wanted to keep the pressure on them for now until it is all done with.

klmore
07-30-2004, 11:50 AM
It seems like they are handling it the right way. If I don't win the Kook's from the raffle I'm in for some in the next couple of months. :coolman:

Marauderjack
07-30-2004, 01:43 PM
darebren....

Did you put the OEM vibration dampers back on after your cat/muffler swap?? If not you may just be hearing the whole system rattling!! :o

I did a dual system on a '98 CV and until I got one more of the damper weights it rattled to beat the band!! :confused:

These are the cylindrical weights welded to the OEM mufflers. :coolman:

My $.02 worth.....Good luck!

Marauderjack :D

jspradii
07-30-2004, 07:59 PM
It seems like they are handling it the right way. If I don't win the Kook's from the raffle I'm in for some in the next couple of months. :coolman:If you win 'em I'll bring them home for you! You should have been here! It has been a blast!!!!!:banana2: :banana2: :banana2: :banana2:

BillyGman
07-31-2004, 01:16 AM
darebren....

Did you put the OEM vibration dampers back on after your cat/muffler swap?? If not you may just be hearing the whole system rattling!! :o
Marauderjack :D

You don't need those w/the Kooks system. I tossed them out, and I didn't have any problems.

Krytin
07-31-2004, 06:32 AM
Not to hijack the thread - but I just read the clasified ads & Kooks is looking to hire an additional welder to make headers - wish I was any good @ TIG welding! I wonder if you get an employee discount?

TooManyFords
07-31-2004, 01:27 PM
John had the same problem with his cats from Kooks. He just swapped them out with old ones I think and was going to send them in - he might have done this already. He was I believe the second person to have this setup done.

Might want to ask him his experience. I think he's at MV right now, tho'.

-A

Nope, still at home wishing I could have been there. I was hoping the refinancing would have been completed in time but it was not to be. I had to cancel my reservations the day last Wed.

Anyway, everyone, just remember that Kooks does not manufacture the cats that are failing. They are going above and beyone the call of duty to work with everyone that is having a problem with them. Mine came loose inside and rattled and I had a pair of the factory ones glued in place while waiting for new ones. Having said that, my system is now hacked up underneath and I'll need to redo much of it when I get the cats back... But, I do NOT hold Kooks responsible for this. It's just a fact of life that when things break (and they will!) that we have to clean up the mess ourselves.

As soon as mine return, I've got a couple cool ideas in mind that will work in conjunction with those awesome cutouts I've got and will end up with a slick 3-way exhaust system. Not completely ceramic coated or anything (get well Marty!) but it will give me options on the street and at the strip.

Cheers

John

darebren
08-04-2004, 11:51 AM
I just got the new cats hooked up that Kook's sent me. The rattle is gone. I also switched over to Magnaflow's XL 3 chamber muffler, which now the interior noise is reduced a bit and much more bearable overall. Still sounds the same from the outside, just quieter on the inside.. now I just have to return Kook's original cats to them for my core credit.

martyo
08-04-2004, 05:26 PM
Now I just have to return Kook's original cats to them for my core credit.

And perhaps apologize, or at least retract some of your opening post? In my opinion that is what would be fair to Kooks.

SergntMac
08-05-2004, 08:03 AM
I admit that the opening post made me a bit nervous, and I decided (like many others I suppose) to sit back an watch it all develop on it's own. I am pleased to learn that things have worked out for both darebren, and Kook's.

I've been in darebren's shoes as a customer, and I've been in Kook's shoes as a merchant. A while back, I sold computers and computer parts over the web and over long distances for almost 10 years. It's not easy to draw the line between good business with honest customers, and someone looking to get over on the the businessman, thinking he can afford it. It's not always clear who's right, or who has been wronged, or, by whom.

I remember when Asus released the SP97-V mainboard, it was a sweet item and one of the first to offer onboard video. I bought all I could get my hands on, and and built 24 machines for a local school district. Within a month of it's release, the onboard video failed and Asus immediately discontinued production. Of course, they came out with a new board with improvements as a replacement, but made no admission of their failed board, other than to replace them with the upgraded part, and with a fee for the added onboard sound features. I ate the shipping, both ways.

As you may expect, the school district felt immediate replacement of all boards, failed or not, was in order and I could not disagree with them as consumers. However, neither Asus, or, the school district had any concern for my position as the builder and service provider. I ate the rebuild costs, and came to eat the sound upgrade as well. I stood by my service agreement which stated that the service would be "immediate and on site" in the case of failure, however, if the school district wanted full replacement of all 24 boards (they viewed it a as recall), I would require them to cover the shipping. They came to agree. This is the hidden cost of doing business, and when that cost grew too high, I walked away from it. I feel for darebren, and I feel for Kook's too.

Looking at this only from darebren's side of his story, I agree that Kook's did the right thing. It's what I would have done, send out a replacement with a charge pending against a valid credit card until the broken parts are returned, inspected, and found to be deficient as claimed, and not abused or mistreated by the owner/installer. What this may have cost darebren out of his pocket, well, that's the price of doing business over the web and/or long distance. You didn't have any problem buying the kit at a discount, right?

Moreover, matters not to me what this may or may not cost Kook's. They picked the high flow cats for distribution just like I picked the SP97-V mainboard from Asus. If the cats are bad, it's Kook's responsibility to make it right with the customer, and take that back to the cat supplier.

I do not agree that any apology to Kook's is necessary, a disgruntled customer has a right to tell his story, as long as it is his personal experience and not a third party lynching. As long as darebren was the customer involved, what he had to do to get satisfaction from Kook's is okay with me, though I did wince at the opening post.

If this is the beginning of a trend with the Kook's cats, it's good to know there is a plan in place for other consumers. Thank you darebren, and thank you Kook's.

klmore
08-06-2004, 08:51 PM
I admit that the opening post made me a bit nervous, and I decided (like many others I suppose) to sit back an watch it all develop on it's own. I am pleased to learn that things have worked out for both darebren, and Kook's.

I've been in darebren's shoes as a customer, and I've been in Kook's shoes as a merchant. A while back, I sold computers and computer parts over the web and over long distances for almost 10 years. It's not easy to draw the line between good business with honest customers, and someone looking to get over on the the businessman, thinking he can afford it. It's not always clear who's right, or who has been wronged, or, by whom.

I remember when Asus released the SP97-V mainboard, it was a sweet item and one of the first to offer onboard video. I bought all I could get my hands on, and and built 24 machines for a local school district. Within a month of it's release, the onboard video failed and Asus immediately discontinued production. Of course, they came out with a new board with improvements as a replacement, but made no admission of their failed board, other than to replace them with the upgraded part, and with a fee for the added onboard sound features. I ate the shipping, both ways.

As you may expect, the school district felt immediate replacement of all boards, failed or not, was in order and I could not disagree with them as consumers. However, neither Asus, or, the school district had any concern for my position as the builder and service provider. I ate the rebuild costs, and came to eat the sound upgrade as well. I stood by my service agreement which stated that the service would be "immediate and on site" in the case of failure, however, if the school district wanted full replacement of all 24 boards (they viewed it a as recall), I would require them to cover the shipping. They came to agree. This is the hidden cost of doing business, and when that cost grew too high, I walked away from it. I feel for darebren, and I feel for Kook's too.

Looking at this only from darebren's side of his story, I agree that Kook's did the right thing. It's what I would have done, send out a replacement with a charge pending against a valid credit card until the broken parts are returned, inspected, and found to be deficient as claimed, and not abused or mistreated by the owner/installer. What this may have cost darebren out of his pocket, well, that's the price of doing business over the web and/or long distance. You didn't have any problem buying the kit at a discount, right?

Moreover, matters not to me what this may or may not cost Kook's. They picked the high flow cats for distribution just like I picked the SP97-V mainboard from Asus. If the cats are bad, it's Kook's responsibility to make it right with the customer, and take that back to the cat supplier.

I do not agree that any apology to Kook's is necessary, a disgruntled customer has a right to tell his story, as long as it is his personal experience and not a third party lynching. As long as darebren was the customer involved, what he had to do to get satisfaction from Kook's is okay with me, though I did wince at the opening post.

If this is the beginning of a trend with the Kook's cats, it's good to know there is a plan in place for other consumers. Thank you darebren, and thank you Kook's.
Well said! :)

DEFYANT
12-23-2004, 11:57 AM

I agree well said. I came across this thread while researching my my exhaust options.

I agree if you have a problem with any service provider, you should post your experiance here to alert other potential buyers. It is common courtesy.

However, when the service provider makes good on a claim and is reasonable with negotiations, you should post that too. Again, it is common coutesy to us and service providers.

Just my $0.02
Happy Holidays :santa:

BADMERC
12-23-2004, 06:17 PM
I received the Kooks kit from Dennis one month ago. I have been out of town.
I sure miss my machine! Anyway, I have not installed them yet. Will Kooks know
if any, which cats may have issues?

CRUZTAKER
12-23-2004, 06:38 PM
Will Kooks know
if any, which cats may have issues?
This was a unique situation with Darebren, out of the dozens and dozens of kits sold no one else had any issues. I didn't either. Nick and George would and will make good on any normal failures....so don't sweat it BADMERC, it's highly unlikely you will have any issues whatsoever.

Darebren has since sold his Marauder, or least tried last we heard, and this thread was done, resolved, and hibernated....:rolleyes:

BADMERC
12-23-2004, 07:12 PM
Thanks Barry. I can not wait to get them installed, Matt

BillyGman
12-25-2004, 11:48 PM
Badmerc, you're gonna luv the way your Marauder sounds when you get the Kooks header and exhaust package on it!! Especially when the engine is reving above 3,000 RPM when you're getting on it!!!! And other hi-perf car enthusiasts on the street will often roll down their windows at a traffic light in the warm weather, and comment on how good your car sounds. Trust me on this...you'll see. ;)

Big House
02-15-2005, 11:19 AM
What kinda of labor charge am i looking at for a kooks header install?

SouLRioT
02-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Big House, I'd get with some CAM members to find who to go for your install, because people can charge any price they want for installs.

Post in the Northeast Region Forum.

Big Joe P
05-19-2005, 02:08 PM
So I got my KOOK's system put on in August 2004, and have put on about 3000 miles since then. I developed a rattle in the drivers side cat yesterday, confirmed today as it was inspected on a lift. I sent KOOK's a note via their web site, I'll keep you guys informed.

snowbird
05-19-2005, 06:54 PM
I've got the Kooks kit since december 04 with about the same mileage. I had to replace the driver side cat last week too. Didn't bother to try the warranty and paid 130$ to have a new high flow installed.

The muffler shop told me the high performance last one to 2 years, the stock ones 7 to 8.

There's always a price to "high" performance i guess.