PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Hop?

metroplex
01-16-2003, 10:50 AM
I just installed a Detroit TrueTrac in the rear of my 2000 Ford Crown Victoria. Its got stock 3.55s (confirmed: pinion gear shows "355", and I counted the gears: ring: 39, pinion: 11, 3.545 ratio) with a stock open carrier.

Within 3 miles, the weird sounds stopped and all I got were the tire scrubbing when taking a corner too quickly, and the dual tire squeel when taking off.

However, when I shift into reverse and goose the throttle a little (like I usually do in situations where you need to reverse quickly) the entire rear end JUMPS and vibrates like its falling apart.

Several CVN tech members have confirmed that its just wheel hop due to an inherent flaw with the 98-02 Watt's Linkage design and rear suspension.

Mustang owners solve wheel hop with new rear control arms and poly bushings, but nothing's available for 98-02 Vic owners.
I have HD Bilsteins in the back along with Addco bars.

Do the 2003 Marauder's w/ 3.55s and Traction-Lok exhibit the same wheel hop when peeling out in reverse?

It doesn't necessarily have to peel out - you can be backing into a dirt road and the excess torque starts to make the tires spin in the softer/lower traction dirt, it would create the same effect.

I hear the pre-03 CVPIs exhibit this condition, so its not because of the Torsen Differential in my Vic (gear driven LSD vs clutch driven LSD).

Macon Marauder
01-16-2003, 10:59 AM
Charlie,

Welcome! I haven't experienced the wheel hop you describe. But then again, I don't do much spirited driving - in reverse...

Logan
01-16-2003, 10:59 AM
Ok, someone go out, slam it in reverse and mash the go pedal... :)

metroplex
01-16-2003, 12:10 PM
I'm pretty sure 98-02 Vics/GMs/TCs w/ a LSD will exhibit signs of excessive wheel hop in reverse, but I'm not sure about pre-98 or the 03-up.

I heard the 03-up got revised rear suspensions, so maybe part of the revision was to eliminate/reduce this wheelhop? This doesn't occur with non-LSD equipped Vics.

Anyhow, thanks for the welcome!

I don't have a Marauder but I've had my Vic for almost 3 years now and I've been a fan of RWD/V8 cars since the beginning.

metroplex
01-16-2003, 03:21 PM
BTW in order to see if you have the wheelhop:

Find a safe spot with a decent stretch of road behind you.

Make sure trac ctrl is OFF.

Shift into reverse and slam on the gas. You want to break loose both tires.

On my Vic (3.55/TrueTrac), as soon as I break loose the tires in reverse, the rear end starts to jump violently like the car is falling apart.

This, I believe, only applies to Panthers w/ limited slip. Im not sure about the axle ratio either, but since I have 3.55s and the Marauders all I have 3.55s I was wondering if the Marauder has the wheelhop problem. If not, then I'll see what Ford did to the 2003 rear suspension that eliminated it.

LincMercLover
01-16-2003, 03:41 PM
I don't see why Kenny Brown wouldn't have anything. Then again, I don't see why you're doing reverse burnouts, but hey... :up:

metroplex
01-16-2003, 03:45 PM
Seeing how forward burnouts and launches are so over-done, I try to be different :)

But seriously, I just emailed KB - hopefully I'll get a response.

LincMercLover
01-16-2003, 04:04 PM
You one of those guys who your wife tells you, "The OTHER Drive hun..."

jefferson-mo
01-16-2003, 04:28 PM
Well conicidentaly I did that just today....after driving around a 5 story parking structure just to find the whole thing full... I went out on the street to park. I was just a little bent outta shape for wasting so much time lookin for a stupid parking place but when I found one on the street(I almost missed it) I dropped it in reverse and hammered down and it just lit 'em up for about 30 ft......no drama...........not somethin' I would normally do....................:burnout :

:o

metroplex
01-16-2003, 04:39 PM
Doh , KB responded and said:
"tighten your seat belts and hang on!"

I guess I'd have to totally change the suspension geometry.
:(

I wish I was on Ford's R&D team. I'd give them he77 because of how I abuse err... drive my vehicles :)

He said the 2003s weren't redesigned to eliminate wheelhop in reverse burnouts, just for forward motion and anti-brake dives.