PDA

View Full Version : Northeast Marauders INVADE 'The Pike' 8/28

Dan
08-08-2004, 04:50 PM
The Berlin Turnpike, a/k/a "The Pike" is the number one crusing spot in all of CT. The Pike is a long, straight road that takes drivers from the top of the Merritt Parkway to Rt. 91 in Weathersfield. It is about 4 or 5 miles long and is punctuated with several lights and eating establishments that attract local ricers and gearheads.

I am proposing that the north east Maruaders gather on The Pike on Saturday, Aug. 28 for an evening of cruising and "crisping rice." Note that if we are able to show in force we will OWN THE PIKE!!!

If this is something that you are interested in, post here. If we can get at least 5 Marauderers to show up I will set up a dinner at Hopps for around 8PM and from there we can head on out and do some laps on The Pike.

What we will do is cruise all of the local lots where the ricers hang out and let them know that the Boss is in town.

No matter what, it will be fun. Frank and I just did this Sat night and we had a total blast.

Best,

Dan

PS: If you have a Motorola compatible FRS, bring it! It will be crucial to tying in to Franks thermal cop camera.

PPS: To get an idea of where I am talking about click here. (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?ovi=1&mqmap.x=221&mqmap.y=194&mapdata=AxNziBvAfYzwJBGZt9WgDE %252bPAzg6Sh%252f%252fCMwrDMeV NjYh%252fgXi4cPvJUlAdL0mX7pmK8 v%252faNbkGQMia4CuSDtDjH2lrZwU IBIsU%252bi%252bJcJ%252bOnVv%2 52f83qZX2uUZ7ghezyjPZo%252bJgP JlchpttDbHwFg3%252fHZLuPRFV%25 2f0a1zQEtBPgyflmrDCRg2YP%252fQ XJqhIe6L9muL5kN5PvZWLaqjBJ2v0B sAD72tnnvWEaUJS%252f9FRNZFdJh2 6%252fBkh1haoDgt0Y2K8fmDy9Gxk8 7%252f%252bXVu1EXXXvF5Finawya7 Pm30mbyLZpik9RvE4TFsa3ZQ2w%253 d%253d) Look for 691 on the lower center part of the map and find the route that crosses it north/south with the "5" on it (a yellow road). That route goes north all of the way until it turns to a red 5. Where it is yellow it is two lanes in each direction with lights. Overall it is about 4 or 5 miles of aweseome, awesome cruising.

Krytin
08-08-2004, 05:04 PM
We may be doing a meet of our own on LI that weekend - or not, but I am interested!

Dan
08-08-2004, 05:13 PM
Coo. There is enough of New England to go around. :)

But, if you guys want to take the ferry over to Bridgeport it is only another hour frm there and you will NOT be disappointed.

Dan

valkyrie
08-08-2004, 06:08 PM
The Berlin Turnpike, a/k/a "The Pike" is the number one crusing spot in all of CT. The Pike is a long, straight road that takes drivers from the top of the Merritt Parkway to Rt. 91 in Weathersfield. It is about 4 or 5 miles long and is punctuated with several lights and eating establishments that attract local ricers and gearheads.

On the southbound side of The Pike, on the southern most end is an entrance to Rt. 15 south which is long and straight for about 1.5 miles and is a GREAT place to open the car up. There is almost NEVER a cop there.

I am proposing that the north east Maruaders gather on The Pike on Saturday, Aug. 28 for an evening of cruising and "crisping rice." Note that if we are able to show in force we will OWN THE PIKE!!!

If this is something that you are interested in, post here. If we can get at least 5 Marauderers to show up I will set up a dinner at Hopps for around 8PM and from there we can head on out and do some laps on The Pike.

What we will do is cruise all of the local lots where the ricers hang out and let them know that the Boss is in town. Who knows? Maybe some of you can snatch a match at a light or two. :)

No matter what, it will be fun. Frank and I just did this Sat night and we had a total blast.

Best,

Dan

PS: If you have a Motorola compatible FRS, bring it! It will be crucial to tying in to Franks thermal cop camera.

PPS: To get an idea of where I am talking about click here. (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?ovi=1&mqmap.x=221&mqmap.y=194&mapdata=AxNziBvAfYzwJBGZt9WgDE %252bPAzg6Sh%252f%252fCMwrDMeV NjYh%252fgXi4cPvJUlAdL0mX7pmK8 v%252faNbkGQMia4CuSDtDjH2lrZwU IBIsU%252bi%252bJcJ%252bOnVv%2 52f83qZX2uUZ7ghezyjPZo%252bJgP JlchpttDbHwFg3%252fHZLuPRFV%25 2f0a1zQEtBPgyflmrDCRg2YP%252fQ XJqhIe6L9muL5kN5PvZWLaqjBJ2v0B sAD72tnnvWEaUJS%252f9FRNZFdJh2 6%252fBkh1haoDgt0Y2K8fmDy9Gxk8 7%252f%252bXVu1EXXXvF5Finawya7 Pm30mbyLZpik9RvE4TFsa3ZQ2w%253 d%253d) Look for 691 on the lower center part of the map and find the route that crosses it north/south with the "5" on it (a yellow road). That route goes north all of the way until it turns to a red 5. Where it is yellow it is two lanes in each direction with lights. Overall it is about 4 or 5 miles of aweseome, awesome cruising.

As Krytin said I will be interested if we don't get together locally.

Paul T. Casey
08-08-2004, 06:30 PM
put up a reminder post when the time gets near, and I'll see if I'm free. I may have my neice and nephew with me, but then again, they are in my burnout picture in the gallery here, so maybe they'll be up for a little "rice crispin'" cruising.

Paul T. Casey
08-08-2004, 06:46 PM
Just checked with a "buddy" on the Berlin Tpke deal. From time to time the LEO's do "attend" this little cruise. They seem to be mostly out for the rice gang. I'll talk with him a bit more about what goes down, but mostly it sounds like fun.

Dan
08-09-2004, 04:20 AM
LOL. Your buddy is giving you some bad info. The LEOs are there all the time. He is right in that they are looking for ricers, mostly. :)

From what I could see there are a few spots where they run radar but Frank knows those pretty well. They are also so busy with their hands full that if you are an "adult" about your driving it makes it pretty easy to be left alone.

Frank and I didn't have any issues. Of course, we kept our heads about us the entire time.

It would be nice if a bunch of folks could make it.

Best,

Dan

nexstar7
08-09-2004, 06:06 PM
LOL. Your buddy is giving you some bad info. The LEOs are there all the time. He is right in that they are looking for ricers, mostly. :)

From what I could see there are a few spots where they run radar but Frank knows those pretty well. They are also so busy with their hands full that if you are an "adult" about your driving it makes it pretty easy to be left alone.

Frank and I didn't have any issues. Of course, we kept our heads about us the entire time.

It would be nice if a bunch of folks could make it.

Best,

Dan

sounds good.depends on the dealer. if they hold my car for a while

nexstar7
08-09-2004, 06:09 PM
hey paul, nice area port jeff. i went to see it after i went to my moms grave. she went to the other side 2 weeks ago. my wife said port jeff is nice. definatelly going back. thanks

Krytin
08-09-2004, 07:11 PM
Ralph - check the thread on the next meet - see which dates look good for you!

nexstar7
08-10-2004, 06:11 PM
Ralph - check the thread on the next meet - see which dates look good for you!
i did, thanks

Dan
08-18-2004, 06:22 AM
Back to top.

Check your schedules for the 8/28 MM meet at the Berlin Trunpike in Berlin, CT.

Best,

Dan

TripleG
08-18-2004, 08:07 AM
Time and date are perfect. It'll be great to have a local meet. Just a 30 minute ride from Simsbury. :beer:

Dan
08-18-2004, 01:57 PM
Time and date are perfect. It'll be great to have a local meet. Just a 30 minute ride from Simsbury. :beer:

Whoa! I didn't know we have someone here from Simsbury! How nice.

I am from nearby New Britain. It will be good to see you on the 28th.

Best,

Dan

ultravorx
08-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Im definatly down to go! it'll be nice to cruise around with some marauders on the pike!!!!
Frank

Dan
08-23-2004, 08:17 PM
It's this Saturday, gang. If I can get a head count I'll make a dinner reservation.

I think it will be good to eat a bit earlier than 8. Then, perhaps, we can get on the pike with some daylight left for photos.

Best,

Dan

TripleG
08-24-2004, 02:33 AM
I'll be there. Dinner at 7:00PM sounds good. :banana2:

Dan
08-24-2004, 05:03 PM
Cool. Thanks.

I'll buy dinner for whomever travels the farthest. If you really want to try to be the winner and don't want to post here just email me at danstraATjonfund.com to let me know you're coming and where you are coming from.

Best,

Dan

PS: And if you need a place to crash I'll offer that, too. I have an empty 4 room apartment. You'll need to bring a sleeping bag. :)

Dan
08-24-2004, 05:05 PM
I'll be there. Dinner at 7:00PM sounds good. :banana2:

7PM is good.

We need 8-10 to make a reservation. If we get less then I'll try to get their ealier.

Best,

Dan

Dan
08-26-2004, 05:14 AM
The restaurant is Hopps it is Newington, CT. So far MIB and WIB are a maybe, I am pretty sure that Ultravorx is good as well as Billy G. Triple G is good. That is cool.

I would like to have at least 8 of us there, if possible. This will make getting a reservation a lot easier as Hopps is jamming on Saturday nights. It will also allow us to fill up the Pike a lot easier. :)

Best,

Dan

Dan
08-26-2004, 05:22 AM
Here is the location of Hopps via a Mapquest link....

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&countryid=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=address&searchtype=address&address=3270+Berlin+Turnpike&city=Newington&state=CT&zipcode=&search=++Search++

I'll be making the reservation for 7:00 PM. Again, please let me know as soon as you can whether you are definitely going to sho.

Here are directons from the NY State area and points south and west....
Saw Mill North to 684 North to 84 East, then get on 691 east and follow that to Rt. 91 North. Rt 91 North to exit 21 N, Rt. 9 North. Follow local directions.

From MA and points north and east....
Take Rt 90 to Rt 91 south or Rt 84 West, whichever makes more sense. If you take 84 West follow it down to the exit for 91 South and get on 91 south. Now that everone is on 91 South follow that down to the exit for Rt 9 North (exit 22N) and then follow the local directions below.

Local directions....
Rt 9 North to exit 21, at end of exit go right on to 372, take your second right and that is the on-ramp for Rt. 5/15/Berlin Pike north. (The first right is deceptively close to the on ramp) At the end of the on ramp merge on to 5/15/Btpk. The restaurant is 2 miles past the Home Depot both of which will be on your right and very hard to miss.

If I missed you I hope you can extrapolate. If you are coming from CT and can't figure it out with all of this then you probably should bring your parental gaurdian. :lol:

MSR7878
08-27-2004, 04:12 AM
Sorry, haven't had internet access. I would love to cruise the pike, however I can't make dinner. I hope to see you guys on saturday. I'll come down to see If I can meet up with you afterwords.

Dan
08-27-2004, 05:27 PM
It looks like it might be a rainy day tomorrow. Should we put this off a bit?

Best,

Dan

Dan
08-28-2004, 04:46 AM
Well, the weather is looking good for today. I am taking "chance of t-storms" to mean those isolated t-storms that happen on particularly humid days. Let's warm up those engines!!!! Tonight the Marauders invade the PIKE!!!!

I have spoken to a few folks and it looks like a good turnout is on line. Dinner is at 7 PM at Hopps in Newington, CT. If you need to call me just dial up 860-877-2776.

Best,

Dan

Dan
08-28-2004, 09:43 PM
Well, the Pike Invastion turned out very well. In all we had 4 cars show up. 2 black and 1 blue.

We had Geroge "Triple G", Frank "Ultravorx, Mike and Monique (I forget his handle) and me. Mike and Monique wound up showing late and didn't make the dinner but they cruised the pike a lap with us. They are a great couple who are both into cars and driving - our kind of people.

Triple G seemed to enjoy our one lap of the Pike. From where we were one lap of the Pike involves driving north about a mile and stopping at Wendys and parking a while. Then we headed south and stopped at the Taco Bell for a slow roll through. Both places are full of RICE so rolling through with 4 Marauders is extra sweet. From there it is a run south to the Rt. 9 interchange, each of us doing short little acellerations. Nothing unsafe or even over the speed limit. Just some mild calisthenics for these cars.

As we swung the jug handle to go north I was at the back of the pack. There is nothing like seeing a row of Marauders diving onto an off ramp!

On the ride north there is a little more the sprint and slow action but we did hit a couple of lights just right which made for some very fun sprints from 0-60.

On the north bound run we cruised through the Burger King where one finds mostly American Classic muscle and then back to Wendy's where we said our good byes to Triple G and Mike and Monique.

Frank and I attempted to keep things comfortable for our guest and we hope that we did. It will be nice to read their comments.

Once they left Frank and I spent some time doing more laps. In all I would estimate that we cruised 40 miles tonight. He and I would stop at different locations to park the cars and hang out at. This seemed to have had an impact on the "cruze crowd" there.At first they looked ascance at us as though we were undercover cops. Later on I could hear comments like, "That's a Marauder. Those cars are COOL!" and, "Those are the Marauders. They park here every now and then." :up:

At one light I pulled up next to a guy (he was in the slow lane, I was in the middle and there was another car in the left lane) and looked over and said "Hey" to the guy in the right lane. He responded in kind and I asked him how he was doing. He said, "Not racing." I laughed and the convo went on like this...

Dan: "Dude, I'm not a cop
Him: "You sure? You could be lying!"
Dan: "I'm so not a cop!"
Now the kid in the car on my left, who was listening in from the fast lane, said,
"That's entrapment"
Slow lane: "Yeah, man. That's not right."
Me; "GUYS, what do I have to do to prove it to you? Blow you away at this light?"

Just then the light changed while they were both looking at me but, as I said the word LIGHT I looked at the light to see it change and my foot did the rest. Both of these guys were in the rear view so fast.

It was funny and we all had a great laugh about it at the Taco Bell.

This night had so many highlights it is hard to recall all of them. There was the Saleen charged Mustang GT driver who shifted too hard and couldn't get more than 1 car length in front of. The first thing she said to me when we stopped was, "Whatchu got in that thing, anyway" There was the guy in the modded t-bird who thought he was the better of the Blue MM but wasn't. There was the 60's Chevelle who I smoked in a rolling run.... in second gear.

But the funniest thing was just after Frank and I did a fast light to light trip. A guy rolled up next to me and said, "Hey, can you get those blown and stroked?" That question opened the door wide open for me to make a funny retort, which I did, and which made all of the occupants of that car laugh out loud. This guy then stopped for a second and looked at me and said, "Man, those things move from the lights!!!"

Enforcement on the Pike was at its usual coverage but, after a while you get to know where they hide. Frank and I even rode up on a couple to ask if they knew if one of my cop friends was working.

It was funny. At one point in the night I asked Frank why so many of these ricers were sitting in the parking lots and not out having fun. He said it was because they were scared.

Of what, I don't know. Frank and I had fun and kept things sane and safe. Either these kids don't know how to do that or their cars are the subject of stricter enforcement than the Marauders are.

Hmmm. I wonder why?? :D

Thanks to those that made it tonight. Frank and I hope that you had fun and hope to see you again. To those of you that didn't make it, please try to make the next one. Yes, it might mean a trip out of NY or MA but the Pike is something that you have to see to believe. It is just one fun trip and our cars carry a mystique here that is very special.

Oh, and one more very important thing. A ticket gotten here will probably not show up as points on your license in MA or NY. :up:

Best,

Dan

MSR7878
08-30-2004, 05:05 AM
Thanks to Dan and Frank, Monique and I had a good time. I think I am a little more afraid of tickets and rising insurance costs than you guys are, but we had a good time. Four MM's rolling together is really a sight to see. Franks burnout through an intersection was my favorite part, nice to see two big 18" tires spewing smoke. I hope to cruise the "Pike" again with you guys.

-Mike

Dan
08-30-2004, 05:13 AM
Glad you had fun, Mike. It was great to meet you both.

Best,

Dan

Dan
09-03-2004, 12:41 PM
I'll be at the Pike again this Saturday night HOWEVER, this time, there will be a LOT of people that will be looking for me and my car. Apparently, we made quite an impression last Sat night. To me this means that it will also be a good time to show off your Marauder, too. After all, if they are going to look for one Marauder they might as well see several. ;)

There are two places to be at two different times. The first place is Hooters in Weathersfield (http://hooters.know-where.com/hooters/cgi/site?site=104&address=) at 7:00 PM. Hooters is on the southbound side of the Pike but at the northernmost section.

At some point the gang will be headed over to the Burger King for more hanging out and having fun. The exact time is determined by when people go there.

I know it is a busy weekend but I would love it if there were a good showing. Both locations are domestic car oriented.

-Dan