PDA

View Full Version : Questions concering Chips and tuning?

Haggis
08-09-2004, 09:33 AM
In April Dennis dynoed (Dynojet) my car and got 410 rwhp and 361rwtq with the Kenny Brown chip and the A/F was good. In June I went for a Jerry W. tune on a Mustang Dyno and got a 398 rwhp and (358)? rwtq, but was told that at 5400 rpm the car was running lean (25psi). Then in Indy I had my car dynoed (Dynojet) again and came away with 406 rwhp and 368 rwtq and I was told the car was running rich at 4500 rpm A/F= 10 (same Jerry W.tune). I know there is an issue with accuracy issue with the Mustang Dyno. I plan on installing a Fuel Pressure/Boost gauge and being re-dynoed in September.

My questions are: 1) Should I put the KB chip back in? 2) Will the chip work now that the PCM has been flashed? 3) Will it affect the flash tune I received from Jerry? 4) When I have it dynoed in September should I have them run dynos with the chip and without the chip and just the Jerry tune?

Thank you.

RF Overlord
08-09-2004, 10:00 AM
My questions are: 2) Will the chip work now that the PCM has been flashed? 3) Will it affect the flash tune I received from Jerry?

2) Yes.
3) Yes. Sort of...

The chip overrides (not overWRITES) the programming that is stored in the flash ROM, so the PCM will use the tables from the chip whenever a chip is installed. It won't actually AFFECT the programming that is stored in the flash ROM; when the chip is removed, the PCM will revert to using the tables stored in the flash ROM (Jerry's tune).

As to whether you SHOULD re-install the chip, I think your fourth question answers that...try it both ways on the same dyno and see which is "better".

(I thought that Jerry would only tune on a DynoJet...?)

SouLRioT
08-09-2004, 10:50 AM
HP and TQ numbers aside, did you like one over the other on the shifting and what not? Do as RF said and do runs with the KB chip and with the Flash to see what you like better.

BillyGman
08-09-2004, 11:09 AM
I think it's always a good policy to stay w/the chip that came w/the S/Cer kit. Atleast when it comes to Marauder engines. There aren't very many of these cars around, and Kenny Brown, Dennis Reinhart, Lidio, & Trilogy Motorsports are the guys who have by far the most experience w/S/Ced Marauders, and I highly doubt that anyone else comes close.

Having the correct air/fuel ratio, as well as the proper ignition timing advance curve is critical to the longevity of a S/Ced engine, and the four businesses I've just mentioned have had the most experience tuning S/Ced Marauders by far.

This is precisely why I wouldn't go to any other dyno to have my car dyno tuned. Having it dyno tested is fine, but to have the car dyno tuned by someone who doesn't tune S/Ced Marauders on a regular basis is very risky IMO, since they're experimenting on your car despite what there claims of expertise are.

Haggis
08-09-2004, 11:13 AM
HP and TQ numbers aside, did you like one over the other on the shifting and what not? Do as RF said and do runs with the KB chip and with the Flash to see what you like better.

The HP & TQ numbers are not what concerns me. What does concern me is the A/F ratio running lean on the Mustang Dyno and then running rich on the Dynojet in Indy with the same tune. Where as I never had anyA/F issues with the KB chip that I new of.

Billy, Jerry W. is the person that most people have had their Marauders tuned by and he is also the person who tunes K. Brown's chips for them. I nguess I am going to take it easy and have dyno runs with both to test the A/F ratio.

I was just concerned with hurting the computer by reinstalling the chip after Jerry tuned the car.

BillyGman
08-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Oh, thanks for pointing that out. I didn't know who burns the chips for Kenny Brown. that's another story then. BTW, I don't think it matters what your current computer setting are since when you re-insert the chip, the settings in the chip will override the computer anyway.

bugsys03
08-09-2004, 03:24 PM
I have seen Jerry tune numerous supercharged marauders on the dyno including Mac, Zack and Mark, even a 5.4 SC.

SergntMac
08-09-2004, 03:48 PM
Any way you turn, Gordon, you're working with Jerry's tuning. As for the difference in AFR, it's most likely just a difference bewteen the test machines, and perhaps atmospheric (sp) conditions during the test.

You really have the best of both worlds working for you here, you can add or remove the chip to see where your best performance lies. Find a local dyno that can test your car at will and establish a base line of performance there. Anytime you travel and tune again, go back to the base line machine to see the true differences. You can also try both for your best performance at a local drag strip on test and tune night.

Remember that Kenny uses the OEM MAF, which has has it's shortcomings in high HP blow through applications. I've seen others here get great performance from the Lightning in a suck through setup, and the Pro-M MAF in both. If you're having problems stabilizing the AFR, or, you have uneven acceleration under WOT, you may have hit the wall on the OEM MAFs ability to handle your power. Maybe it just needs a cleaning?

Zack
08-09-2004, 03:51 PM
Have Jerry turn your alternator on at all RPM's
That should correct the lean condition provided Kenny Brown installed an aftermarket fuel pump.

Haggis
08-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Have Jerry turn your alternator on at all RPM's
That should correct the lean condition provided Kenny Brown installed an aftermarket fuel pump.

Dennis checked the program at Indy for me, the alternator was or is on all the time. Also KB installed a Walbro 255lph fuel pump in the tank.

You really have the best of both worlds working for you here, you can add or remove the chip to see where your best performance lies. Find a local dyno that can test your car at will and establish a base line of performance there. Anytime you travel and tune again, go back to the base line machine to see the true differences. You can also try both for your best performance at a local drag strip on test and tune night.

Thanks Mac, that's what I plan on doing. Hopefully I will have the fuel/boost gauge installed by that time. Pro-M Maf I will have to look into it.

What's that Honey? Oh you mean the Pro-M whatcamacallit. It's something Mac suggested. Yes it means I have to spend more money on the car. Ok Honey...sure Honey. Sarcastic who me, not at all! Sorry Honey :alone: ...have to go now talk to you all later. Bye!! :help:

Al Goguen
08-22-2004, 11:27 AM
I have been trying to get a Predator from diablosport and not having any
luck for my 2004 DTR Marauder.

Who has a programmer I can get that will work in a stock MM?

I don't want to change gears or S/Charge it....just want some
extra ponies and alittle more torque.....

Any answers out there? PLEASE
Thanks

RF Overlord
08-22-2004, 12:16 PM
Al: see your other thread...