PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Clean

RF Overlord
08-11-2004, 11:00 AM
Has anyone used the new Mr. Clean AutoDry, yet? Consumer Reports did a quick eval in the current issue, and they think it does a good job...

valkyrie
08-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Has anyone used the new Mr. Clean AutoDry, yet? Consumer Reports did a quick eval in the current issue, and they think it does a good job...

I believe there was a thread recently that gave the indication that the soap stripped the wax off the car.

I have used it before and it did a good job. I can't confirm if it stripped or not because I wasn't paying attention because I was waxing my car afterwards anyway.

Marauder8
08-11-2004, 11:33 AM
Does an excellent job, but you need to rewax................wax on wax off, wax on wax off....... :banned:

Bigdogjim
08-11-2004, 12:02 PM
RF: I used on Garfield's Highlander and it DID strip the wax:mad:

Garfield is writting a letter to ask for a refund:)

But, it really did dry much quicker.

cyclone03
08-11-2004, 12:08 PM
I have 2 of them now.
I find if your just doing general wash and run,between rain storms it works ok so you don't have to drive a "grey"black car.
But used over and over the deep shine does go away but it seems a little towel drying shines it up some.
For general quick washes it's OK but for me I don't think it saves much time,I still get water runs near the mirrors,and from under the trunk.

It works better on my wifes truck because of the light color,yellow.

For really great,detail shine you got to do the work,and yes I would say it removes or removes the shine from, my Mequires NXT wax jobs.

RF Overlord
08-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Does an excellent job, but you need to rewax................wax on wax off, wax on wax off....... :banned:

ROFL, Ron...!

I was afraid of that...oh, well...

MI2QWK4U
08-11-2004, 12:53 PM
mine stripped the wax real bad off the Marauder and the Mach 1. Its boxed up going back to them for a refund.

sailsmen
08-11-2004, 02:03 PM
I wasn't satisfied and got a refund.

MI2QWK4U
08-11-2004, 02:11 PM
I wasn't satisfied and got a refund.

Im shipping mine off this week, did they take care of you? This thing is quite the piece of shat.

RCSignals
08-11-2004, 03:12 PM
I haven't used it. I've read a lot of comments about it, good and bad.
On an automotive detailing list I belong to, the pros don't seem to like it, mostly.
I'd say it's good for the average guy who just wants to keep his car clean and avoid water spots, but amongst this high shine Wax and Zaino crazy crowd, it may not be the best choice.

Sactown
08-11-2004, 03:32 PM
I haven't used it. I've read a lot of comments about it, good and bad.
On an automotive detailing list I belong to, the pros don't seem to like it, mostly.
I'd say it's good for the average guy who just wants to keep his car clean and avoid water spots, but amongst this high shine Wax and Zaino crazy crowd, it may not be the best choice.
which detailing list do you belong to?

nexstar7
08-11-2004, 05:45 PM
oh yea, it takes the wax of. it does clean nice though.

nexstar7
08-11-2004, 05:46 PM
oh yea, it takes the wax of. it does clean nice though.
is it the soap or the ionizer?

RCSignals
08-11-2004, 09:20 PM

It's a list on Yahoo. I mostly read. Lots of info.

edited to add

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/automobiledetailing

teamrope
08-11-2004, 10:53 PM
The kids got it for be for Christmas. It still left spots, but not nearly as bad as tap water. I think in my case our water is a smidge on the hard side. :depress:

89VERT
08-11-2004, 11:36 PM
Thanks for all the 411.

I think ,I'll stick with my California Water Blade.

Amsoil_Dealer
08-12-2004, 06:14 AM
Our water in this area is so hard you could drive nails with it!!! Honestly, if you are not quick on a sunny day it spots up very quickly.

Is anyone using just the rinse? You know, wash the old fashione way and use just the rinse product/filter. I am thinking that would be worth it.

Don

cyclone03
08-12-2004, 07:48 AM
Our water in this area is so hard you could drive nails with it!!! Honestly, if you are not quick on a sunny day it spots up very quickly.

Is anyone using just the rinse? You know, wash the old fashione way and use just the rinse product/filter. I am thinking that would be worth it.

Don

I tried it but I think it needs the mr.Clean soap too.
As a matter of fact I think the soap does all the work.

Amsoil_Dealer
08-12-2004, 08:43 AM
10-4....Thanks

valkyrie
08-12-2004, 10:39 AM

Don

I have tried it with the Meguirs wash and it doesn't do a thing. I think the mixture of chemicals in the soap and drying solution does it.

But then again I didn't do well in chemistry.

mrjones
08-12-2004, 11:18 AM

I just use the rinse feature on mine. I don't use the Mr. Clean all the time, because the water flow is so low when it goes through the filter. I wash my car using a foam gun and a truck wash brush. When I first saw this method, I didn't like it, but I've been doing it this way now for 18 years or so, and it works well. I get the foam gun from a commercial chemical salesman at work, and load it up with Zep Blue Magic or ZepOShine, hook it up to the water hose and it sprays a soapy foam onto the car. Wash it with the brush, which will let any dirt go up into the brush and not just scrub around on the paint, and then rinse it off. THEN, I'll rinse it with the Mr. Clean.

I've been thinking about getting a bigger filter system for the hose that I use to wash the car. They have those setups at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. I put one on the inlet to my hot water heater in the house, and thought that the right kind of filter would help soften the water when washing the car. Anybody else tried this?

martyo
08-12-2004, 11:36 AM
I've been thinking about getting a bigger filter system for the hose that I use to wash the car. They have those setups at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. I put one on the inlet to my hot water heater in the house, and thought that the right kind of filter would help soften the water when washing the car. Anybody else tried this?

Mr. Jones: They make all sorts of sytems like this. Here is one example:

http://www.spotfreeh2o.com/about.html

GordonB
08-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Hey y'all,
If you have an air compressor, wash you r car as usual and then `dry' with a blow gun attached to an air compressor!!! This is the ultimate experience -- even better than drying with a Leaf Vac/Blower.
BTW, remember to use a RUBBER tip on your blow gun.

Cheers!
GordonB

BruteForce
08-12-2004, 02:33 PM
I was "leaf blowing" my MM this morning after a fresh wash on the outside & in the engine bay. There was a line of tall dump trucks (new asphalt on our streets, yea!) next street over waiting to dump their loads and all the drivers were craning their necks to see what the :censor: that crazy man was doin' to that poor car. :lol: I just waved and went on a-blowin'.

teamrope
08-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Is anyone using just the rinse? You know, wash the old fashione way and use just the rinse product/filter. I am thinking that would be worth it.On the rinse setting it is not that much more volume of water than a fine mist.
2/3 of the car is dry before you get to it with the rinse..:(

Silver_04
08-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Can you just pour your favorite wash agent into the nozzle head and still take advantage of the filter so you don't get spots?

valkyrie
08-12-2004, 05:38 PM
Can you just pour your favorite wash agent into the nozzle head and still take advantage of the filter so you don't get spots?

No I have tried that. At least it didn't work for me.

Silver_04
08-12-2004, 05:45 PM
Oh, the rinse product is mixed in with the filter? Learn something everyday.