PDA

View Full Version : Kooks headers installed...my story.

FiveO
08-13-2004, 05:50 PM
Well gang.....I just walked in the door about a 1/2 hour ago. I'm absolutely beat. Worked (and watched) in the shop all day with the mechanic.

The shop I went has like 7-8 mechanics and they do general work....but they also do work on my departments squad cars so they're cutting me a break on labor and let me watch and even help out.

The guy working on my car is a self taught mechanic...26 years old...and he's a surgeon with his tools.

He is meticulous and complete.

He put in the PI Torque Converter in the morning....went in without any problems. Book says 4.8 hours and he had it done in like 3.

The headers were a pain...!!!! But we finally did get them both in.

Couple minor problems overcome with patience and expertise along with printouts from other threads on the Kooks install.

First off....let me say that these headers are tight....both in looks and fit.

They fit perfectly. They're isn't much room for anything else!

He did not take the battery out but did pull both leads and tape them off to make sure no connections were made (dealing with the starter, etc.).

We decided to start with the right side....as it looked much more difficult. It seemingly was until the left side showed its ugly head with the dipstick problem...and one tough nut to tighten.

Couple things....

He took the starter out altogether. Also both front wheels were taken off. The right for a bolt or two and the left for the EGR bolt. Mine was a bit tight and he needed more room...worked out well.

The engine was loosened from the motor mounts and was jacked up here and there to make the fit....much easier.

We re-used the gaskets...on both sides. He even put a Permatex Copper gasket high temp sealant on each gasket to assure the fit. Came out perfectly.

The right bolts were a PITA...but he got at them all....no major problems. We did end up shaving the end off of one stud on the right side.

The left was much easier except the damn dipstick tube. He ended up cutting about 1/4 inch off the bottom of the dipstick tube (not the dipstick) and it fit...with a little bending. Took about 1/2 hour total to get it back into the OEM bolt slots.

The only thing on the left side we didn't use thats OEM is a bracket for a wire that goes from the engine bay to the transmission...(shifting cable???). The cable is tight and went right around the headers.

The mechanic took out the top of the airbox and the tube, right up to the intake, and it really helped.

There was one nasty bolt that was I believe the 2nd from the front and on the bottom....(left side still)...that was again....a PITA!

The mechanic took the oil filter off and actually took a wrench and bent it! Much easier...took a couple minutes but it was tightened. The bent wrench was a Craftsman...not a Snap On :D

Two studs on the left side needed to be shaved off. Both the 2nd from the back I believe...top and bottom. Again...not a major problem as we learned from the right side where 1 that needed to be cut off.

The steering shaft does NOT need to be shaved...just moved for the install and replaced when done.

Once the headers were one things got easier.

The cat tubes went on no problem with and the X-pipe was ok...but only one minor concern. We could not get the X-pipe perfectly measured on each side of the driveshaft. The left side has about 1/4 inch more room than the right. Not a huge deal as neither is that close to the driveshaft...and the only way anyone would notice is by actually being under the car and measuring.

The mechanic ended up taking about 1/4 inch off of the X-pipe (both sides) by the mufflers for a better fit. Worked well.

The only other thing he did was open up or "stretch" the pipes at the end of the X-pipe and mufflers so they would fit. I watched him do it...just stretched a mm or so. Worked perfectly.

At the end of the day we set up the tailpipes and he welded everything in place to include the muffler brackets and the tailpipes.

Tomorrow morning its the O2 sensors reinstalled, airbox reinstall and fluid check....then we'll be starting her up :)

A long day...but hopefully well worth it.

Labor, with their break, should come out to about $350....not bad for a PI TC install and full Kooks setup. I never could have done either myself at home.

Pics to follow....gotta upload some.

jgc61sr2002
08-13-2004, 05:58 PM
FiveO - Congrats on the install. :up: Sounds like you are satisified . :D

Logan
08-14-2004, 07:27 AM
Sounds damned familiar it does... ;)

FiveO
08-14-2004, 09:02 AM
Well I picked my car up this morning and I only have one word to say....

Unbelievable.

The sound is amazing. Under throttle you know there is something more under the hood. At cruising speed she's tame and docile. The previous owner had a nice sub/amp put in the trunk and the shop that did the install Dynamatted the heck out of the car...so inside its not too loud at all.

The transmission is smooth and I can definitely feel alot of extra "pull" with the new exhaust and torque converter.

Overall....very happy :)

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL283/1552930/4651240/63322474.jpg

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL283/1552930/4651240/63322460.jpg

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL283/1552930/4651240/63322496.jpg

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL283/1552930/4651240/63322638.jpg

Bradley G
08-14-2004, 11:06 AM
Makes it fun when ya git to help! congrats looks awsome:beatnik:

BillyGman
08-14-2004, 01:42 PM
Five0, I knew you would be happy w/those MODS. BTW, you'll have to edit your Sig now. ;)

FiveO
08-14-2004, 03:50 PM
Five0, I knew you would be happy w/those MODS. BTW, you'll have to edit your Sig now. ;)

True!

I'll get it changed tonight.

Took a 50 mile round trip to the Twin Cities to see a flick....AVP...pretty cool flick :)

I did notice there is a drone in the interior...but with the radio up I don't even hear it...unless I want to :D

I'm going to have the same mechanic check the system over for leaks next week when I take the car back to have him put in the Metco control arms and Watts link.

Already getting WTF was that....looks :)

:bounce:

Zack
08-14-2004, 05:34 PM
I just installed another Kooks setup last night for another member here.
Got started at 6:30 with the stock exhaust still in place. I left the garage at 10:45, and had the headers physically bolted to the engine and tight.
I finished the rest today in about 3 hours. All on the garage floor!
Anyone doing this themselves should stop after you install the x-pipe assembly, because the stock pipes are smaller in diameter than the outlet of the muffler, which needs special tools and a welder to complete.
Anyway, awesome system, I can do it with my eyes closed now.

One more thing 5-0: the x-pipe assembly is NOT centered over the driveshaft. Not designed to be.

FiveO
08-14-2004, 07:09 PM
Ok...then I'm not nuts :)

We just couldn't get it to center....! Now I know why. It was close...but not perfectly centered.

I wanted to add one thing....

This system really opens up the upper RPM range. After 4.5K I'm getting real "pull". Its an amazing feeling compared to the stock exhaust.

BillyGman
08-18-2004, 11:42 PM
Anyone doing this themselves should stop after you install the x-pipe assembly, because the stock pipes are smaller in diameter than the outlet of the muffler, which needs special tools and a welder to complete.
Anyway, awesome system, I can do it with my eyes closed now.

One more thing 5-0: the x-pipe assembly is NOT centered over the driveshaft. Not designed to be.Just some input here:

the X-pipe on the Kooks system that I have IS centered. But I had to manipulate the muffler pipes a bit w/some persuassion w/a rubber mallet to get everything to fit evenly. This is common w/exhaust stuff.But I also was using a lift, so it might be pretty difficult to do that w/out a lift. And as far as having to weld, you won't have to weld anything if you've purchased the complete Kooks exhaust set-up w/the one exception of the passenger side tailpipe on to the back end of the new magnaflow mufflers. With the complete Kooks set-up, the whole pipe diameter from the header collectors to the mufflers is all 2.5". It just slides into the X-Pipe as long as you've also bought the X-pipe from Kooks which ofcourse is included w/their complete kit.

That's why I think that the best and easiest way to go is simply to order the entire Kooks kit. It's all bolt-on. If you try to cut corners by odering only part of the Kooks exhaust kit, you might save $$, but you'll also make the installation more involved too. So that's the trade-off that you have to be aware of.

Dan
08-23-2004, 03:29 PM
How much time do you estimate was needed for the Kooks install alone?

Is it safe to assume that the Kooks headers were the only part of the install that was from Kooks?

Thanks,

Dan

FiveO
08-23-2004, 03:33 PM
The XPipe is from Kooks also.

Estimated for someone whose never done it before but knows what they're doing....

Probably 4-5 hours. Thats a good guesstimate on what it took my mechanic.

Couple things took some extra time...the oil dipstick tube and a couple bolts that needed to be cut off...3 total I believe. You'll see it when you go to install it. 3 of the bolts are too long and will rub on the header when you try and install them.