PDA

View Full Version : REAR kit pics

Todd TCE
08-19-2004, 06:59 AM
A couple of folks have asked to see the rear brake kit for the MM.

As of now this is the 'one off' which as been sitting for nearly a year waiting on someone to help finalize it to the car.

Details of this are deep in the forum, but for now I'm offering this one for $1000 outright, down from the much higher price of about $1500 list. This in return for help with final caliper spacing issues as well as resolving axle float potential problems. This is NOT a Saturday afternoon project. But at 1k it's a steal.

If you have the mechanical ability and some patience to help finalize a couple of things get hold of me and we'll see what we can do.

Agent M79
08-19-2004, 07:18 AM
Todd,

If this all comes to pass and becomes a product for sale, will the front and rear brakes appear the same or substantially similar?

Aethestics are probably silly when the objective is superior braking but when I look at a car it is just more balnaced looking when the discs and calipers are the same. I think that is especially true on the MM since you can see so much of the brakes through the spokes.

Todd TCE
08-19-2004, 07:34 AM
"If this all comes to pass and becomes a product for sale"

Dave, it HAS come to pass and it IS a product for sale.

I think honestly; nobody really wants a $1500+ rear kit when the fronts are much less. This is due to the complexity of the kit and tilts its value when only considering price.

What is not fnalized is only the caliper centering and given production items on the MM even this may not be the same side to side or car to car. The only difference between what you see here and what you will get months from now after someone helps with the centering is that it's going to cost over $500 more and carry a core charge on the factory plates. Right now the savings is over $700 as I'm not even asking for a core charge. All I'm asking for is a competent mechanic to work with me on the final fit issues which cannot be done on a bench. Still a pretty smoking deal for $500 savings.

I agree completely on the looks issue. This is the same basic build I did for the SS a couple years ago. For the same reason. And they've now put on about 35 of them so far having to deal with the same basic problems of axle float etc as you'd have here.

I can't seem to get the picture in peoples heads on how this is different from a front kit. There is just NO way you're going to assure a buyer of exact fit when you place a fixed mount caliper on a floating axle. The rotor moves in the caliper and must be attended too. At that, each car is going to be somewhat different in its requirements to control this. It CAN be done however, but it's not a saturday afternoon project. The axles have to come out, the backing plates replaced....this is some pretty hard core stuff here. And shimming the caliper on center may well be some of the easiest work!

SergntMac
08-19-2004, 07:37 AM
Aethestics are probably silly when the objective is superior braking but when I look at a car it is just more balnaced looking when the discs and calipers are the same. I think that is especially true on the MM since you can see so much of the brakes through the spokes.
I think asthetics are important too, after performance, and this rear kit is very cool in both. Like you suggest, Brian, a great match to the front kit, and with real performance value.

There are times I wish I did not have the MM I do, this is one of those times. Wish I could start fresh today, and enjoy all the developments carved out over the past two years...

Nice work ToddTCE, thank you!

Agent M79
08-19-2004, 08:13 AM
Todd,

When you say "brake work" to me I show up with a hammer, beer, and good intentions.

But, I get what you are saying about it being expensive and more complicated for the rears. For me that not only translates into high kit cost over fronts but higher install costs.

Sounds like if I want pretty I'll have to pay pretty, eh?

Todd TCE
08-19-2004, 09:36 AM
LOL> that would be BRAKE kit, not BREAK kit....

Yes, sadly the cost of the rear (except for this ONE) will or is higher. And yes, the cost of instll will be higher.

Blame it on the car guys, it's not the brakes that are so much the issue, it's the bolt up complexity and requirements of the axle issues. Sometimes you wish you had a FWD car huh? Those rears are easy!

Agent M79
08-19-2004, 10:17 AM
Sometimes you wish you had a FWD car huh?

As Bunny would say: :hotrice:

Todd TCE
09-07-2004, 06:56 PM
I'm happy to report that the C clip issue appears to be addressed. Seems the C clip on your Marauder is the same as that of the Impala SS.

Knew that would make you all happy...lol

But at least it helps my issues on axle float. :high5:

BK_GrandMarquis
09-16-2004, 10:45 AM
I'm happy to report that the C clip issue appears to be addressed. Seems the C clip on your Marauder is the same as that of the Impala SS.

Knew that would make you all happy...lol

But at least it helps my issues on axle float. :high5:
How is the emergency brake set up? Does it use the disc brakes or like on my car, the drum brakes?

Todd TCE
09-16-2004, 12:43 PM
The kit retains the stock e brake assembly.