PDA

View Full Version : Front Sway Bar Installation Tips

FordNut
08-21-2004, 02:17 PM
Got the Addco front sway bar installed today. A few tips that may be helpful to others (the clamps are still not the correct size):

Don't even bother trying to remove the old one without air tools. I tried and found that the clips that hold the studs/bolts in the frame will come loose from the heads and the bolt will just spin freely. Air tools spin the locking nuts off fast without any flexing, so they come apart easily.

The end links are not like any I've seen before. They are like tie rod ends, so poly end link bushings are out of the question. Not possible. The nut comes off and the stud pushes out of the sway bar easily.

The clamps for the sway bar bushings that come with the sway bar will not fit without modification. There are 2 clamps and 2 spacer plates. The oblong holes are not big enough to fit the studs. Tools needed to correct this are a 7/16" drill bit, a drill press, and a bench vise. At the outside edge of the oblong holes in the spacer plates, drill out to 7/16". Bend the curved clamps in the vise so that their oblong holes align with the oblong holes in the spacer plates. Drill them in the same places as the plates.

Now bolt it all back together.

Nice, balanced handling now. The watts link had made the steering feel a little twitchy, the sway bar balances it out. Flat around corners, like it should be.

valleyman
12-16-2004, 08:10 PM
Fordnut (or anybody else) -- I'm gonna be crawling around on the cold concrete this weekend to install my Addco front sway bar. My question: in the shop manual it says to take off the brake calipers and then to pull the entire sway bar link out of the wheel knuckle to replace the sway bar. Did you find this to be necessary? Or can you just remove the one nut on each end of the sway bar that holds it onto the link and then pull it off the link without further ado? I'm trying to minimize my time under the car as you can tell.

TAF
12-16-2004, 09:09 PM
Or can you just remove the one nut on each end of the sway bar that holds it onto the link and then pull it off the link without further ado?Yes...there is no need to remove the end linkage. Get that thing on...you're going to REALLY like the difference it makes. :up:

valleyman
12-16-2004, 10:29 PM
TAF -- thanks. I was hoping that would be the answer.

valleyman
12-18-2004, 08:33 PM
Got the front sway bar on (Addco) and, yes indeedy, it makes a difference! I did not have the problem that Fordnut had -- my bracket bolts held tight and I was able to remove the four nuts with hand tools with no problem. Also, Addco has apparently fixed the problem with the clamps not being drilled to the right size/shape: mine just needed a little dressing with a file and went right on.

I do have a question though. No way could I get any of my torque wrenches into the area where the end nuts go to spec it to the 46 lbs of torque so I just horsed it down to where I think it's tight (or tighter) than it ought to be. Anybody else just guesstimate on this fastener? I'll check the end nuts again in a hundred miles or so, hope for the best and listen for unnatural sounds. :rolleyes:

Svashtar
01-01-2005, 03:54 AM
Can you tell me what is the diameter of the Addco front bar? The stock bar is 1" I believe.

Thanks,

Norm

Kelly
01-01-2005, 09:27 AM
Is DR the vendor for the front sway bar?

TAF
01-01-2005, 09:34 AM
Can you tell me what is the diameter of the Addco front bar? The stock bar is 1" I believe.

Thanks,

Norm
The front swaybar is 1.25"

Is DR the vendor for the front sway bar?
No, Dennis doesn't carry the front swaybar. You can purchase it through www.swaybars.com (http://www.swaybars.com) which is actually ADDCO direct... call Shelly @ 1.866.201.7599 to order. She'll take care of you.