PDA

View Full Version : How's the driving in North-West Ohio?

TripleTransAm
08-22-2004, 05:49 PM
It's still in the planning stages, and of course the weather will play a big role if this works out or not, but I'm planning on attending the Trans Am Nationals in Dayton Ohio next week. I still haven't even decided on the final route either.

So I was wondering if anyone knew what the roads looked like... I'd most likely be coming down to Detroit then down towards Dayton. Last time I attended this event was in 2002 and the only 'rough' spot was the stretch from the border down through Detroit... I'll be most likely in my WS6 (for economy reasons) and while it's a Cadillac ride-wise (not handling wise, oddly enough) in comparison to my GTA, I would want to focus on a route that isn't too beat up for the benefit of my wife (reasons to come later...)

While I'm at it, I might drive back up through Cleveland and on to Syracuse, then up towards Montreal. So any feedback on that route would be appreciated as well.

------------------------

This trip is multi-faceted: a few years back, a member of a Pontiac-specific mailing list (not Firebird-specific, but all Pontiacs mostly classic) that I belong to was going through a hard divorce. Coinciding with the Trans Am nationals, attending members arrived early and crashed on his spread, with a whole week of thrashing on cars and barbecues and beer, all intended to cheer him up. That evolved into a group 'event' of its own, and every year dozens of close Pontiac enthusiasts descend on his property for this week-long event, complete with scheduled 'jobs' (ie. carb rebuilds, tech and tuning sessions, tranny swaps, etc...), and finishing up with some drag racing and the actual Trans Am Nationals themselves (and the included cruises).

So not only do I want my son to enjoy some Trans Am-related activities, I've got a few buddies I haven't seen in a couple of years.

chrish
08-22-2004, 06:10 PM
you will travel thru Lima Ohio... the road is 70 or 75 ...can't remmember. the is a ford engine plant right of that highway on Blue lick road.... the 429's were made there......the highways in Ohio are great the back roads are fast moving & preety..........the only bad thing is those highway patrol guys .they are everyware...... & give tickets........... :pirate:

TripleTransAm
08-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Good point about the backroads. Last time I attended the Great BBQ, I took the host and his wife for a drive through the back roads around the south-east corner of the Dayton area... nice hills and very scenic. The host's wife was BIG on the 98+ Ram Air T/As and I made sure to keep the revs up so she could enjoy the unmuffled (well, semi-muffled?) exhaust. Very enjoyable drive... there's something about keeping a big V8 on compression even at slow speeds with hills that nice.

Interesting about the Lima trivia... I never put 2 and 2 together the previous times I drove through that area.